Start by marking “Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club, #26)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club, #26)

Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club #26)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,807 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Claudia has a sad good-bye to make. Her grandmother, Mimi, has just died. Claudia understands that Mimi was sick for a long time, but she's still mad at her grandmother for leaving her. Who will help Claudia with her homework...and share 'special tea' with her?
To keep from thinking about Mimi, Claudia spends all of her free time painting and baby-sitting. She's even teachi...more
Published July 1st 1989 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Sad Good-bye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and the Sad Good-bye

Swankivy
I always hated when the cover and title of these books told me exactly what was going to happen. "Sad Good-bye"? Picture of Claudia's beloved grandma on the cover? You do the math. But I was actually kinda glad that instead of acting like Mimi's death is a surprise that the kids reading won't expect, they end up making the family's grief part of the plot. Claudia's parents deliberately distract themselves with work and she's kinda like "Wait, how do I get through this?" Her sister, who's usually...more
Rachel Brand
I think this book will always hold special value for me because I read it on the day that my Grandma died. She's suffered from Alzheimer's for years, to the point where she no longer recognised her own children, and this winter she came down with a chest infection and had to be hospitalised. Basically, her body started to shut down and we got the news on Tuesday that she was in a coma and would die within 24 hours. So I decided it was a good time to read this book.

I found it to be a pretty good...more
Marian
May 25, 2011 Marian added it
Shelves: 2011, bsc, readit
It's been years since I read Claudia and the Sad Good-bye, mostly because I was pretty sure that if Louie's death in Kristy and the Snobs would still affect me after all this time (and the loss of grandparents and pets), Mimi's death would be even worse.

So I waited. And waited. And then my father had a stroke earlier this year... and then he died while the hospital seemed content to do absolutely nothing. So I waited a little longer... and I decided to chance the book again.

It's funny how you ca...more
Laura Hughes
The title spoils you for what you know will be the "death of Mimi" book, but the death itself doesn’t occur until halfway through the book, after an agonizing series of frustratingly ineffective hospital stays. Mimi seems to be getting better, and Claudia has a nice conversation with her on the phone the night before she gets up early in the morning for a drink of water and finds her mother crying, and learns that Mimi is dead. The news takes awhile to sink in, and we follow Claudia through vari...more
Lisa
Need a book to help a young girl/teenager cope with the death of a loved one? This is the book for you. It deals with the lead up, death and all the emotions on the other side.
Julie Decker
When Claudia loses her beloved grandmother--who'd been going downhill for some time now--she feels adrift on a sea of loneliness and loss, and her family isn't really there to help her because they're too busy distracting themselves. She reaches out to Mary Anne for support, and they also try to help one of their sitting charges, an overscheduled child, communicate with a pair of parents about too many lessons, too little family time.

The mood of this book is striking compared to some of the othe...more
Reese
This book is sad but good. Claudia loses her grandmother to a stoke. It's really sad for claudia because she doesn't do so well at school but the rest of her family is really smart. Mimi, Claudia's grandmother, is the only person who understood her. Claudia also shared 'special tea' with Mimi and she misses that. Awesome book which I highly recommend.
Jenn
Feb 27, 2012 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: bsc
Ugh, I've been dreading this book since I started this whole reread project! It's so freaking sad, I can hardly stand it....read more here.
Edward Creter
Don't feel too sad 'cos this is the one wherein Claudia's beloved Grandma Mimi dies of old age and dementia. I recommend this one especially 'cos I hope it'll help people deal with loss in a way that cleanses and heals A lot of us have lost loved ones this year so hopefully this BSC adventure will help in the healing process and I don't say that about the BSC often. That's why toda I give the BSC 4 tars as opposed to 3. This is the best one so far.
It's very obvious what happens in this book. Mimi already had a stroke, and over the last few books, her memory has faded fast. I will say this- if you have a death in the family, and a child old enough to enjoy the series, this could really help you cope. Or even if your child has a friend who loses a loved one. This was sad, but it was pretty well executed. I wish they would have addressed the early signs of depression in Claudia.
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the...more
Abbie
I lost my grandma too :(
Kristen Jaques
"Goodbye, my Claudia" :'(
jacky
I read about 20-25 of these books. I read them in fifth and sixth grade. I strongly remember wanting to read these because they seemed cool and my older sister read a few of them. I remember that our library had a little display of them and I also bought a lot of them through the book catalogs we got at school. I remember most strongly the set up of the books; each book started explaining the club and describing each of the members. I also strongly remember the covers.
Rylee
This book is sad but good. Claudia looses her grandmother to a stroke. It's really sad for Claudia because she doesn't do so well at school but the rest of her family is really smart. Mimi,Claudia's grandmother, was the only one who under stood her. Claudia also shared 'special tea' with Mimi and she really misses that. This is an awesome book that I highly recommend!!
Mayra
I love this book even though it's sad. Claudia says good-bye to her grandmother, Mimi. She passes away because of how sick she was. She went through a stroke and needed therapy for almost everything. It was like treating her like a child. Claudia was devastated and so was most of the family. :(
Sarah B
This book is an excellent story about grief. Claudia's beloved grandmother passes away and Claudia acts in a very realistic way about it.

The best thing about the BSC is that most of them stand the test of time and this one is no exception.
06-11-2009
Amie
This book is a great introduction to grief for children. Parents should talk about how Claudia and her family reacted differently to Mimi's death. What was healthy? What wasn't? What should Claudia have done as she felt Mimi's care falling to her.
Ciara
the one in which mimi dies & claudia arranges an art class for a little girl whose parents neglect her. really not much to snark on here, although i'm not saying that i ever especially liked this book.
Sally
I don't recall what book #25 even was, but I DO recall the 'preview' at the end of it being for book #26 - Claudia and the Death of Mimi. Whoa, spoilers! :P
Sara
What can I say, I'm a sucker for sad things. This wasn't the best in the series, but it was a good tearjerker and I felt just awful for the Kishi family.
Sarah Smith
I loved the series as a kid. I never read them in order because the library didn't have all of them. I think my favs were the Super Specials.
Bridget
It was very sad. But, since it was sad i promised myself not to read it again, but then i broke promise because it was still very good.
Ariel McCollums
I read all these books when I was little, this is just an excellent example of growing up for the age-appropriate group of 9-15 year olds.
Rhiannon1220
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Maria M. Elmvang
I think Ann M. Martin handled the description of grief well. It almost made me cry.
A mediocre job of handling the subject of death of a beloved family member.
Neesa
What a lost... I remember losing my grandmother, but I didn't like though.
Erin
Another of my favs but certainly one of the saddest books I read in the series.
Lucy
claudia's grandma dies oh
claudia was my favorite babysitters cluber
  • Buried Treasure (Sweet Valley Twins, #11)

Ann gets the ideas for her books from many different places. Some are based on personal experiences, while others are based on childhood me...more
More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)