Start by marking “Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club, #26)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club, #26)

Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club #26)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  2,291 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Claudia has a sad good-bye to make. Her grandmother, Mimi, has just died. Claudia understands that Mimi was sick for a long time, but she's still mad at her grandmother for leaving her. Who will help Claudia with her homework...and share 'special tea' with her?
To keep from thinking about Mimi, Claudia spends all of her free time painting and baby-sitting. She's even teachi
Published August 1st 1989 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Sad Good-bye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and the Sad Good-bye

Marian
May 25, 2011 Marian added it
Shelves: readit, bsc, 2011
It's been years since I read Claudia and the Sad Good-bye, mostly because I was pretty sure that if Louie's death in Kristy and the Snobs would still affect me after all this time (and the loss of grandparents and pets), Mimi's death would be even worse.

So I waited. And waited. And then my father had a stroke earlier this year... and then he died while the hospital seemed content to do absolutely nothing. So I waited a little longer... and I decided to chance the book again.

It's funny how you ca
Laura Hughes
Nov 09, 2014 Laura Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
Don't--just don't ask me to describe this book right now. I'm a little... I've been cutting onions, okay?

The title spoils you for what you know will be the "death of Mimi" book, but the death itself doesn’t occur until halfway through the book, after an agonizing series of frustratingly ineffective hospital stays. Mimi seems to be getting better, and Claudia has a nice conversation with her on the phone the night before she gets up early in the morning for a drink of water and finds her mother c
Swankivy
I always hated when the cover and title of these books told me exactly what was going to happen. "Sad Good-bye"? Picture of Claudia's beloved grandma on the cover? You do the math. But I was actually kinda glad that instead of acting like Mimi's death is a surprise that the kids reading won't expect, they end up making the family's grief part of the plot. Claudia's parents deliberately distract themselves with work and she's kinda like "Wait, how do I get through this?" Her sister, who's usually ...more
Rachel Brand
I think this book will always hold special value for me because I read it on the day that my Grandma died. She's suffered from Alzheimer's for years, to the point where she no longer recognised her own children, and this winter she came down with a chest infection and had to be hospitalised. Basically, her body started to shut down and we got the news on Tuesday that she was in a coma and would die within 24 hours. So I decided it was a good time to read this book.

I found it to be a pretty good
Shira
Feb 18, 2016 Shira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is my first time reading this book!

wow. well done, ann. the main plot in this book is that claudia's grandmother mimi keeps getting sicker and having to go back into the hospital only to have the doctors clueless about what's wrong with her. finally, she dies. in the subplot, claudia and mary anne start an art class for some bsc charges including new kid corrie addison. corrie's mom basically wants nothing to do with her (and is always really late picking her up from the art class), and cor
lisa
Sep 28, 2016 lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book where Claudia loses her beloved grandmother Mimi. Every time I think about this book tears come to my eyes. I was nine or ten when I first read it, and it was one of the most realistic portrayals of the death of a close family member I had read at the time. Years later, when I was in high school, I read Ann M Martin's book With You and Without You, a book she wrote several years before working on the BSC series. It's about a middle school age girl whose father dies after a short illness ...more
Julie Decker
When Claudia loses her beloved grandmother--who'd been going downhill for some time now--she feels adrift on a sea of loneliness and loss, and her family isn't really there to help her because they're too busy distracting themselves. She reaches out to Mary Anne for support, and they also try to help one of their sitting charges, an overscheduled child, communicate with a pair of parents about too many lessons, too little family time.

The mood of this book is striking compared to some of the othe
Gabrielle
I read a couple of books with a strong Japanese/post ww2 theme. Which got me thinking about the only Japanese character I read about as a child - Mimi. So I felt I had to read this again.

Anyway I actually cried, just like when I was 10, so I'm still a sentimental fool. Other observations:

*Claudia and Mary Anne are the only likeable characters, and Mary Anne is too nice to be interesting
*The babysitter notebook is just a way for them to all write passive aggressive things about each other. Especi
Reese
Aug 23, 2012 Reese rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is sad but good. Claudia loses her grandmother to a stoke. It's really sad for claudia because she doesn't do so well at school but the rest of her family is really smart. Mimi, Claudia's grandmother, is the only person who understood her. Claudia also shared 'special tea' with Mimi and she misses that. Awesome book which I highly recommend.
Meredith
This book was actually pretty moving. Reading the series from start to finish, it's hard not to notice Mimi declining over the last.... dozen or so books. Upon reading these as an adult, I also am sympathizing quite a bit more with Claudia. When I was a kid, her character seemed really cool and popular. But now, viewing this girl through different eyes, I feel for her struggle in school, her struggle to fit in with her family, and the loss she experiences when Mimi dies. Claudia's reaction actua ...more
Jenn
Feb 27, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: bsc
Ugh, I've been dreading this book since I started this whole reread project! It's so freaking sad, I can hardly stand it....read more here.
Lisa
Mar 21, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need a book to help a young girl/teenager cope with the death of a loved one? This is the book for you. It deals with the lead up, death and all the emotions on the other side.
Beth E
Oct 16, 2015 Beth E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I re-read this for a nostalgic read-along book club, and I was surprised at how well this book held up. It perfectly portrays the feelings of loss and upset you experience when you lose a loved one. It was very realistic. Claudia was not only sad, she also went through stages of feeling angry at her grandmother, first for being so needy, and then for dying. I think probably I appreciate this more now than I did the first time I read it.
Apr 29, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very obvious what happens in this book. Mimi already had a stroke, and over the last few books, her memory has faded fast. I will say this- if you have a death in the family, and a child old enough to enjoy the series, this could really help you cope. Or even if your child has a friend who loses a loved one. This was sad, but it was pretty well executed. I wish they would have addressed the early signs of depression in Claudia.
Angelica (The Bookish Angel)
Sep 29, 2015 Angelica (The Bookish Angel) rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-or-mg
Oh how I miss this series! I grew up with these girls and looked up to them as older sisters but now I'm older than them! I will be doing a mini review of this soon, together with Dawn on the Coast so stay tuned for that!
M-Tear
Sep 19, 2016 M-Tear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
not going to lie, i cried at Mimi's death even though i've read this book about 10 times in the last 7 years and i still love her (and everyone else) to bits
Annabelle Hillside
This was a very sad but sweet book. It made my heart break out for Claudia. I was soo sad for Claudia! Every time I read it, I cry.
Jessica
Aug 04, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: own-collection
One of the better books in this series even though it is the saddest.
This has always been the one that has been imprinted on fans minds.
Nicole
Aug 09, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Read a book without letting it go" - Read for Booktubeathon 2015
Jorja
Aug 01, 2015 Jorja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, it was a good BSC book, so realistic.
April
Mar 16, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, childrens

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Abbie
May 24, 2014 Abbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I lost my grandma too :(
Kristen Jaques
"Goodbye, my Claudia" :'(
jacky
I read about 20-25 of these books. I read them in fifth and sixth grade. I strongly remember wanting to read these because they seemed cool and my older sister read a few of them. I remember that our library had a little display of them and I also bought a lot of them through the book catalogs we got at school. I remember most strongly the set up of the books; each book started explaining the club and describing each of the members. I also strongly remember the covers.
Edward Creter
Don't feel too sad 'cos this is the one wherein Claudia's beloved Grandma Mimi dies of old age and dementia. I recommend this one especially 'cos I hope it'll help people deal with loss in a way that cleanses and heals A lot of us have lost loved ones this year so hopefully this BSC adventure will help in the healing process and I don't say that about the BSC often. That's why toda I give the BSC 4 tars as opposed to 3. This is the best one so far.
Traci
bawwww
Rylee
Oct 20, 2012 Rylee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is sad but good. Claudia looses her grandmother to a stroke. It's really sad for Claudia because she doesn't do so well at school but the rest of her family is really smart. Mimi,Claudia's grandmother, was the only one who under stood her. Claudia also shared 'special tea' with Mimi and she really misses that. This is an awesome book that I highly recommend!!
Valerie (He Said Books Or Me)
These were my favorites, along with the Sweet Valley books in 5th-6th grade. I think my group of friends and I would take turns reading them and discussing. It was like our first book club! I remember writing to Ann M. Martin as a child and she wrote back (or at least someone did for her). It was one of the happiest days of my life. :)
Sarah B
Nov 14, 2010 Sarah B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent story about grief. Claudia's beloved grandmother passes away and Claudia acts in a very realistic way about it.

The best thing about the BSC is that most of them stand the test of time and this one is no exception.
06-11-2009
Amie
Sep 23, 2015 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th-grade
This book is a great introduction to grief for children. Parents should talk about how Claudia and her family reacted differently to Mimi's death. What was healthy? What wasn't? What should Claudia have done as she felt Mimi's care falling to her.
  • The New Girl (Sweet Valley Twins, #6)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)