Start by marking “Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully, #7)” as Want to Read:
Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully, #7)

Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully #7)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  615 ratings  ·  63 reviews
LAPD detective Shane Scully has been struggling in his personal life ever since his wife, Alexa, the department's chief of the detective's bureau, was shot in the head and developed erratic mood swings. Secada Llevar, a sexy investigating officer for internal affairs, corners Scully and demands his help in reopening a homicide; she believes Tru Hickman, convicted of killin ...more
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published January 15th 2008 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Three Shirt Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Shirt Deal

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart HymanThe Emperor's New Clothes by Hans Christian AndersenFox in Socks by Dr. SeussThe 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins by Dr. Seuss
Inside Your Wardrobe
194th out of 203 books — 65 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHamlet by William ShakespeareJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
I Will Read Absolutely Anything S/He Writes
489th out of 643 books — 258 voters

More lists with this book...

Kay
Cannell puts together a good book. Crooked politicians and cops, entitled young rich men, nasty gang bangers against a cop who pushes the rules to get the bad guys. Throw in a couple of smart, beautiful women who help Detective Shane Scully catch the bad guys and you’ve book a good read. Couple it with snappy dialog and plot that has some twists and turns and you’ve got a page turner.

If you like police stories you should put this on your reading list.
Pamela
Jun 01, 2014 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crime fans
Recommended to Pamela by: no one
This book is like a roller-coaster. Do you remember how there is the slow click-click-click pull up the highest peak then fast and scary till the end? The action in this book is the same. You are wondering if it will ever get started and then it's 3am and you can't pull your hands off long enough to lay the book down even though if it were a week-day night you would have to get up in two hours to get ready for work. I did manage to put a marker in the book at chapter 40 last night. That was when ...more
Davehk
This guy is my New Favorite Author -for how long we'll see.

If you like Robert Crais, Jack Reacher or Bernie the burglarizing book dealer, you'll like this author too.

Set in LA - it's VERY much like Elvis's character from M. Crais.
Gae-Lynn Woods
I came across Stephen J. Cannell not long ago and have enjoyed the Shane Scully novels. I'm reading them out of sequence and while it's not necessary, I'd like to go back and read them in order. THREE SHIRT DEAL is a good, light read. There are enough twists and turns to keep the story interesting, but I didn't get so involved in the characters that I couldn't put the headphones down when I needed to. I did care enough to want to know what happened to all the plot lines and am glad that I finish ...more
Kat
Mark
LAPD Detective Shane Scully is asked for help by (the very beautiful) IA detective Secada “Scout” Llevar, who is investigating a case where a young man’s confession was alledgedly coerced by the cops and pled out by the soon-to-be Mayor Deputy DA. But the case runs deep, threatening the careers of both Scully and Scout and also Shane’s wife, as it takes in a violent Hispanic gang, a bad cop and the millionaire son of a high powered lawyer. I’ve never read anything by Cannell before (though the m ...more
Michelle
I am currently reading Three Shirt Deal by Stephen Cannell.

Three Shirt Deal
Stephen Cannell
Thriller
322 pages
COPYRIGHT: 2008
ISBN: 978-0-312-36627-8

Truit Hickman is a small-time crook doing life in California's notoriously brutal Corcoran State Prison for the murder of his mother. He admitted to the crime, but now Hickman claims his confession was coerced by the cops. A beautiful Internal Affairs detective, Secada "Scout" Llevar, asks Shane to help investigate, and he agrees after learning the orig
Ed
#7 in the Shane Scully series.

Sgt Shane Scully is approached by IA detective "Scout" Llevar to help reopen the case of a low level junkie who claims his confession of killing his mother was coerced. She had been told to drop the case but thought Scully's rehabilitating wife might help. Unauthorized investigation runs into gangsters, a brutal police Lt, a spoiled law school grad, and an ambitious politician.
Thom
This book fits into the same genre as the Sue Grafton alphabet books. There's a kind of formula to these, but the fun is in the characters and dialogue and observation of interesting details of human behavior. I love Cannell's use of (what I consider to be) California slang. For this category of books, this was top-shelf quality - very exciting, satisfying and fun. Also worth a few outloud guffaws :)
Andrew
As one might expect from one of television's top producers, Stephen J. Cannell writes another solid installment in his series about LAPD detective Shane Scully. He's on familiar territory here, dealing with the same themes of police and government corruption we've seen in earlier novels, but the actual plot is clever, twisty, and unpredictable.

Even better he redeems the ending of the previous book, White Sister, which ended a little too happily with Scully's wife, Alexa, seeming to miraculously
Lou
This was a great read, but hit very close to home when Alexa's seizure due to her TBI was described. I suffer from seizure disorder but have been on medication for many years and have not had a recurrence in almost 20 years.

Shane and Alexa's personal and professional struggles play a big part in this story and make if a good read and very hard to put down.
Frank Ogden
I am a big fan of the Shane Scully Series. This is eighth in the series and I did not feel the intensity like the other stories. Plot line seem too familiar. I will continue to read this series but I hope Cannelloni changes some things up.
Merry
Another good Shane Scully read only this time, the perfect wife (Alexa) is having problems at work because of the head trauma suffered in an earlier book. It's a nice role-reversal with Shane having to be the careful one and his wife, the reckless one, for a change. The book starts by laying out the problem and the pace never lets up. While not my favorite Shane Scully book, I'd give it a 4.5 for well thought out plotting and keeping my interest all the way to the end.

Merged review:

Informative a
Sharon
This is the seventh of the Shane Scully series. I had listened to #5 (not realizing it was part of a series) and then picked up #7. I'm not sure why I skipped #6 or didn't go back to #1. In any case...

Shane is asked by his new partner Scout to reopen a homicide. Shane agrees to help, they are told to back off, and that leads to all sorts of trouble. In addition, Shane is dealing with his personal life - his wife is suffering from a changed personality due to a gunshot wound to the head (did tha
Chris
What I learned from this book is that all orphans make great fictional detectives who rarely follow the rules in their quest to undo the deeds of sloppy police work. That, and the detectives have gorgeous Amazons throwing themselves at their feet when the reader learns that there is a cuddly, sensitive teddybear beneath the hard brittle exterior the policeman shows the world.

Beneath all the stereotypes from Lethal Weapon, etc., Cannell shows that he can write a captivating tale full of puzzling
Sharon Lensky
Wasn't a fave but I can't get enough of the Shane and Alexa Scully characters, even when things are dreadfully wrong.
David
Another entry in the Shane/Alexa Scully series. Three Shirt Deal is formulaic. What I expected, so that's OK. The book was not quite up to the usual standards I've come to expect from Cannell. Alexa's behavioral changes as she recovers from a brain injury are a bit problematic. They do some courageous things, and some utterly silly things. Nonetheless, a solid entry that delivers about what I expected.

Read on Audible.com, usually in the car while driving. For those reading in the car, this is a
Michael
It is fhard to imagine someone who was as Creative as Cannell. This book is a great read
Lena
This was a pretty good book. I was tired of hearing how hot Cicada (sp?) was and how often every man "exhaled" or "moaned" whenever she smiled... Ok. We get it. She's hot. Luckily by mid book that stopped.

I listened to the audio version and really did enjoy it. There were enough twists and turns that it kept my attention and it wasn't totally predictable. I realize now that this is a series of books but having picked it up randomly at book #7 I didn't get the feeling that I missed anything by n
Doree Burt
I love this author but hate that once I start one of his books I don't get anything else done. He sometimes has a few romantic interludes that I can do without. They usually are no more than a paragraph or two so I just skip them. It's easy to do. Other than that, these would be fun for teenagers because the vocabulary is sharp and the plotting and characters believable. There is violence--these are cop mysteries after all! What can I say--I'm a snob with kid lit, but love murder mysteries for m ...more
Doug
As I may have started my last Cannell review, this novel was amazingly good. For Cannell to have jumped the impossible divide between television production and book writing is somewhat remarkable.

This story had its flaws, yes (crazy emotional swings here and there, tantalizing intrigue of another beautiful women, and poorly interspersed Hispanic lingo,) but overall it held true. Mystery and humor and suspense were all present in this Cannell work of Scully.

It's worth all four stars.
Shelley
Action comic book grown into a novel--very fun!
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I read this entire book in one day!

I have read a lot of the Shane Scully novels, and this is one of the best yet. The plot is complex and original, and very exciting. All of the little pieces of the story keep your interest as you try to fit them together, with little bits of information revealed as you go along. Excellent pacing. The dialogue is superb, thanks to the author's experience with television writing.
Audrey
hmmmm....I had to see why DHK is reading these novels non-stop....but it eludes me somehow. This book is fast paced and testosterone packed for sure! But I think maybe I just can't read the genre anymore? Disappointing lack of character development. There is a plot however and that got a bit more attention than the characters. Lukewarm is the best I can muster up about this book.
Lori Whitwam
"Rebel police guys who always do the right thing even if it gets them in trouble, but they always win in the end" books aren't my usual thing, Connolly's "Harry Bosch" books notwithstanding, but this was a good one. Interesting and unique plot pertaining to the crimes and the group of people involved. Good element of his relationship with his wife, and another investigator, too.
James
Two good books in a row. My unlucky streak ends! This book started a little slow but be patient. After the first 100 pages the plot comes together. Shane Skully is a L.A. detective and tries to work a case off the record where Truit Hickman was put in prison but did not do the crime. Gangs, mayors, police detectives are all trying to prevent Shane from solving the case.
AuthorsOnTourLive!
In Stephen Cannell's latest heart-pounding thriller Three Shirt Deal, Shane is tried in ways he has never been, risking his family, his job, and his life.

We met Stephen Cannell when he visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver. You can listen to him talk about Three Shirt Deal: A Shane Scully Novel here:
Kay
Jan 18, 2008 Kay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
Shelves: thriller
Shane Scully is back!! I really like these type of 'tough' guy heros -- really tough unlike some characters that pretend [ex: Stone Barrington in Wood's books]. Between personal problems, occupational problems and the bad guys after him, Scully has to be tough to survive! It's a book that is a 'page turner' and you hate to see it end.
Fredrick Danysh
Detective Shane Scully is persuaded to investigate the claims of an inmate at the state prision that the inmate was framed for his mother's murder. A good looking internal affairs detective assists him while at the same time his wife is having difficulty adjusting to having been shot in the head. Scully and his wife soon become targets.
Dulcie
I would actually probably give this about a 3.5. I wasn't that excited about reading this one as I've had it in my to-read pile for many months, but it was all I had and it actually wasn't too bad. I think I like this main character so I'm looking forward to the next book I have with this character in it.
  • Capital Murder
  • 21 Steps To Happiness (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Death Row (Ben Kincaid, #12)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • With A Twist (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8.5)
  • Deceived (Hannah Smith, #2)
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • Judging Time (April Woo, #4)
  • Contents Under Pressure (Britt Montero, #1)
  • China Run
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2
  • The Chill
  • Fury in the Ashes (Ashes, #13)
  • Wreckers' Key (Seychelle Sullivan, #4)
  • The Creep
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 1994.

An Emmy award-winning writer/producer and Chairman of Cannell Studios, Cannell overcame severe dyslexia to become one of television's most prolific writers. In a highly successful career that spans three decades, he created or co-created more than 40 shows, of which he has scripted more than 450 episodes and produced or execu
More about Stephen J. Cannell...

Shane Scully (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • Vertical Coffin (Shane Scully, #4)
  • Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)
  • White Sister (Shane Scully, #6)
  • On The Grind (Shane Scully, #8)
  • The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)
The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1) King Con The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2) The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10) Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)