Start by marking “Hell on Earth (Doom #2)” as Want to Read:
Hell on Earth (Doom #2)

Hell on Earth (Doom #2)

Volume two in the series of novels based on a popular videogame.
Published August 1st 1995 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Hell on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell on Earth

Dark-Draco
Apr 14, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the series. Marines Fly and Arlene have a plan to escape the Martian moon by rigging up a rocket from spare bits of scrap. But back on Earth, their problems really begin. Falling into a pocket of Morman resistance fighters, they learn that Humanity's leaders are working with the aliens. New monsters abound, as the two Marines, an ex-soldier Morman and a 14 year-old computer hacker, attempt to get to LA to knock out the aliens forcefield.

I enjoyed this more than the first, as i
Juan
Jul 08, 2016 Juan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well played.

I last read this during the late 90's when I was a little kid. Of course at time the book kicked ass even for being from a trendy video game. As I reread this at my current age, its still fairly entertaining. It is an improvement compared to the first novel, Knee Deep in the Dead, in that the first novel was essential mimicking the pace and structure as though you were playing the individual levels to the game. With this book there was more liberty in creating an original story, char
Tom Lawrence
Dec 26, 2010 Tom Lawrence rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As mentioned in my review for 'Knee-deep in the Dead':

"Embarrassed to say I've even own this. The book reads like a 10 year old's story in an English class: "And then I did this and then I did that".

Possibly the worst novel adaptation of a video game in existence."
Q.
Oct 03, 2011 Q. rated it liked it
Dustin
Oct 06, 2013 Dustin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, sci-fi, future
I have to say that the authors of this series continue to surprise me. Now that they have run out of game for the protagonists to play through they get to expand the scope of the story, and other than a couple of things in the first third of the book that I thought goofy they manage a fun story about Marines kicking alien ass.
The main characters solve the cliffhanger from the last book in the most direct and obvious way, but resolution is still tense and exciting. Landing in the vast wasteland t
Steven
Jan 05, 2013 Steven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Being a big fan of the DOOM games, this entire series has really pissed me off. The first one was okay, the book after this one (Inferno) was a total mess but somewhat readable. In regards to this book however, I simply can't believe the wasted opportunity to create a great story. How do you make a book about the Earth being taken over by monsters from another dimension which resemble demons from our own mythology, and make it totally uninteresting?
Mormonism is talked about throughout the enti
Michael
Dec 21, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Doom fan.
Shelves: favorites
D.L. Denham
Nov 18, 2014 D.L. Denham rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Continuing where Knee-Deep in the Dead stops, we find our two favorite demon-slaying, zombie-‘sploding action heroes faced with the reality that Earth has been invaded. The story that unfolds on planet Earth is one that could never be guessed and packs a particular charm that I have never seen in a SciFi/Horror story.

As our protagonists travel Salt Lake City—there are fascinating reasons as to why it has survived the apocalypse—with two new members, one a wayward Mormon, Albert, and the other a
John Opalenik
Feb 18, 2014 John Opalenik rated it liked it
Based on the video game series, but only as a jumping off point (which makes sense since the video game had an extremely simple plot).

Rather than "demons" they're aliens, and the whole situation of Earth is actually a very small conflict, almost insignificant to a greater multi-galaxy war. Interesting idea.

I was probably too young to read it at the time, but it did inspire me to be able to read more complex books.
Sid
Jan 29, 2013 Sid rated it really liked it
I have spent so many hours on the video game I was wondering what the background story may be. Was not even aware there were books on doom. Thanks to ebay I bought the lot cheap. Usually I don't read to much science fiction. I thought they were ok. Books 1 and 2 kind of explained what happen in the game. # and 4 took it much further. Not a bad light read.
Scott
Jul 11, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
After the first book sticks closely to the game, this one goes off on its story. But the story it tells is EXCELLENT. The survivors on earth, how they're getting by, how the army has been defeated and the main characters are now in Utah being protected by the Mormons who've prepared for this their whole lives. Such an interesting and refreshing twist to a story I knew.
Georgi Pachov
Dec 28, 2013 Georgi Pachov rated it it was amazing
Excellent read-on-the-fly book, easy to read with some pretty cool humoristic remarks! Combine this with seeing the concept art itself (or playing some of the DooM games to be able to easily visualize it), and you will march on through the action-packed, humoristically written pages with incredible ease and increasing curiosity.
David Hackman
Sep 04, 2010 David Hackman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Continues right from where the last book ended. It then drops any pretensions of going with the game and just makes it's own story. This is a good thing as there was little they could have salvaged from the second game, good as it was.
Kj Bartell
Apr 21, 2013 Kj Bartell rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed the second Doom book. It was nice to read about new monsters and enjoy reading about Fly taking then all on and kicking but.
Alex
Oct 07, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago but I have to give this book credit for (view spoiler) That scene legitimately had me up at night afraid to go to sleep.
Apa
Nov 24, 2012 Apa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own
It's not a good book but hey, how would you expect Doom to read.

Funny thing is I bought this from a bookstore's end of business sale in Utah - the starting point of the book's plot.
Falina
May 05, 2012 Falina rated it liked it
These are fairly entertaining, and not too cheesy. I like all the characters and at times there were some surprisingly deep insights.
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Isak Andersson
Isak Andersson rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Xarah
Xarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2007
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Casey Hemphill
Casey Hemphill rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
AntiParadox
AntiParadox rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2011
Richard Chandler
Richard Chandler rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos rated it liked it
May 30, 2011
Mikail Persson
Mikail Persson rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 I.F. Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely enjoyable pulpy action sci-fi
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Kody
Kody rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
  • Aliens: Rogue (Aliens)
  • Rage
  • Aliens: Labyrinth
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Aliens: The Female War
  • Prophets of the Dark Side (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #6)
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Legacy of Blood (Diablo, #1)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
Dafydd ab Hugh (born David Friedman) is a U.S. science fiction author.
More about Dafydd ab Hugh...

Doom (4 books)
  • Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom #1)
  • Infernal Sky (Doom #3)