The True Stella Awards: Honoring real cases of greedy opportunists, frivolous lawsuits, and the law run amok

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Gathered from the popular Web site www.StellaAwards.com, The True Stella Awards is an outrageous collection of America’s most ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits.

Named for Stella Liebeck—the woman who spilled hot McDonald’s coffee on herself and then won a lawsuit against the fast-food chain—humorist Randy Cassingham’s popular Web site chronicles the hard-to-believe and am

Published November 3rd 2005 by Dutton Adult (first published 2005)

Roland Volz
A nice collection of real-life lawsuits that illustrate the need for tort reform in the United States of America. The Award is named for the woman who successfully sued McDonalds because she spilled their hot coffee in her lap; although deeper reading of the details of that case does provide food for thought.

Most of the cases are pretty cut-and-dried, although some have follow-ups and results provided (where available). I'd love to find out about cases he reports that have wrapped up since he pu...more
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

The True Stella Awards comprises a series of 2-3 page "chapters" on assorted frivolous lawsuits. I had forgotten all about this book, so when I came across it on my bookshelves, I was excited to re-read it. Just as when I first read the book, I found myself shaking my head and wondering how we -- as a society -- have allowed such lawsuits to continue. And reading about others' poor choices and stupidity is always good schadenfreude. ;)
John
This book is contributing to a terrible problem - the perception that lawsuits are by default frivolous. The author uses the most sarcastic language and heavily slanted descriptions of the cases he cites to push this agenda, but bookends the body of the text with an Introduction and Conclusion in which he adds lengthy disclaimers regarding his selective presentation of the cases and his acknowledgement that the problem is not a simple one to solve. This doesn't excuse his book. Then again, I bet...more
Mike
Excellent book that covers a topic that is sure to make a read roll their eyes at the state of our legal system, yet is told with enough humor to make it an enjoyable experience to read. Randy does a great job grouping specific types of cases together to illustrate a trend or make a point with his own commentary added to the end of each.
Angela
My Honey purchased this awhile ago. We have now both perused the book, and actually, I am a little saddened by the state of our courts. We need some more judges who are willing to say "are you kidding me? get out of my court!"
Darla Stokes
Excellent food for thought. One of the author's main points, that I think bears repeating, is that frivolous lawsuits not only cost us taxpayers a bundle, but also make it harder for those with legitimate suits to get justice.
May
true stories about useless people
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Janice
Janice added it
Apr 29, 2013
Jared
Jared added it
Jan 03, 2013
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
The ViXeN's LaiR
The ViXeN's LaiR marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2012
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
This is True [v1]: Deputy Kills Man With Hammer (And 500 Other Bizarre-but-True Stories and Headlines from the World's Press) This is True: Glow-in-Dark Plants Could Help Farmers (And 500 Other Bizarre-but-True Stories and Headlines from the World's Press) [v2] This is True: Deputy Kills Man with Hammer and 500 Other Bizarre-But-True Stories and Headlines from the World's Press This is True: Artificial Intelligence Like Real Thing and 500 Other Bizarre-but-True Stories and Headlines from the World's Press (Volume 4) This is True: Pit Bulls Love You, Really (And 500 Other Bizarre-but-True Stories and Headlines from the World's Press) [v3]