Des milliards de tapis de cheveux

Des milliards de tapis de cheveux

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  996 ratings  ·  175 reviews
Das Buch schildert anfangs die Zustände auf einem Planeten in einer nicht näher bestimmten Zukunft: die am höchsten angesehe Kaste ist die der "Haarteppichknüpfer", einer Art Weber, die aus dem Haar ihrer Frauen und Töchter einen Teppich weben; und das mit solch einer Kunstfertigkeit und Knotendichte, daß an deren Lebensende gerademal ein Teppich vollendet ist, mit dessen...more
Mass Market Paperback, 315 pages
Published August 20th 2004 by J'ai Lu (first published 1995)

Shane Curran
The Carpet Makers is a well thought out, expansive sci-fi story that despite it's scope manages to deliver a simple morality tale about human nature during times of change.

It took me a few chapters to get used to the author's style. Each chapter seemed to start a new narrative, following a different group of characters, with few repeat appearances from previous characters or story-lines. The book could almost be read as a collection of short stories. A few chapters in I started to see the relati...more
The Carpet Makers is constructed like a carpet, weaving narratives together to tell a story that is at once immense in scope and driven by attention to the tiniest detail. Each chapter is a short story focusing on a different character. No perspective is repeated, but themes and characters recur, as seen through the eyes of others. Often we encounter a character several chapters before his or her significance becomes apparent. The end result is a book that is satisfying as a whole, with several...more
Lisa Vegan
From the beginning I thought this had to do with (view spoiler) and it does, but by the end I was thinking the story addressed (view spoiler) and so much more.

The first chapter was originally written as a short story, and it’s a good short story. The entire story is interesting, and I love how it folds...more
Kim
At first this seems like a simple, but unusual, story of a planet whose whole purpose is the creation of carpets made of hair to sell for their Emperor-God. The carpets are made from the hair of the carpet makers wives and daughters and will take their entire life to create just one. As the story unfolds you gradually learn all is not as it seems and something quite sinister is happening.

This was a mesmerising tale which kept me glued to the pages so much I read the whole book in a couple hours...more
Lori (Hellian)
Highly recommend! There are quite a few twists and surprises that I didn't expect, and usually I'm pretty good at that.

We start off on one world with a inhibited society ruled by a never seen Emperor who has a complete religion and culture based on his godness and the society is only to serve him. Very restrictive and inhibitive revolving around the craftsmen who spend their entire lives to make hair carpets using the hair from their wives and daughters.

I was completely settled in to this one...more
Phoenixfalls
This is the sort of science fiction that's perfect to hand to someone who says they never read science fiction -- sure, it's set in the future, and there are space ships, and we visit a couple of different planets in a vast interstellar empire, but that's ultimately just a slightly-more-exotic-than-usual setting for a story about some very human people whose lives touch because they each in some way illuminate the central mystery.

Each chapter is told from a different character's perspective, and...more
Ryandake
even better the second (or possibly the third) time around.

the novel is a series of interlinked short stories, more or less. this time around reading it i had the feeling it was a tapestry, altho possibly not made of women's hair.

that's what the carpet makers make: carpets out of women's hair. their wives' and subwives' hair. fear not, no women are harmed in the making of this carpet. well, not just for their hair, anyway.

the carpet makers work their art as honored members of their society. a ca...more
Brenda
I'm having such a hard time rating this book. Andreas Eschbach has created an amazing world to explore in The Carpet Makers. Unfortunately, he fails to really explore it. It reads like a bunch of short stories set in the same world, sometimes connected, and other times I can't really figure out what the point of a certain thread is.

There really is no character development. Not enough time is spent on any character or setting to really get the full story, before we've moved on to other character...more
Michael
This book was a little weird; somewhat disjointed; it read almost like historical fiction but there was a heavy Science Fiction theme weaved into the story. Reminds me of the original Star Gate movie, mixing ancient (Middle Eastern) culture with a very strong Sci-Fi style. The novel starts off with what seems like a very basic story, but as you continue on it gets more complex and the world seems more sinister than expected.

The pre-historic carpet maker’s life seems a little weird, a tradition...more
Maree  ♫ Light's Shadow ♪
I have to say that The Alternate Worlds is just an awesome group to be reading books such as this with. This month, this book was taken apart almost chapter by chapter and commented on and discussed and I loved the thought and detail that went into the responses. It just means so much more than the 'oh I really liked it, it was a good book!' posts on some of the younger groups.

And...on to the review!

I really appreciated the structure of novel - each chapter was kind of like a short story in itse...more
Nikki
This book has to get five stars from me because it's the first book in quite a while that I would've stayed up late into the night to finish, even if I was exhausted. From the first chapter, it weaves a compelling mystery and builds a whole new world. The writing itself is beautiful; the translation is excellent, with no sense of a gap between me and the text, which I often do get with translations. I think I'm going to have to parcel it up and send it on a round of my friends to read.

I'm not ac...more
Ian
Since the time of prehistory, men have tied intricate knots to make carpets for the court of the Emperor. The carpets are formed using the hair of daughters and wives and because they are so fragile and detailed, carpet makers devote their entire life to making one single carpet. Since the beginning of time, this practice of making hair carpets has descended from father to son. One day the empire of the God Emperor suddenly vanishes and strangers begin to appear from the stars to follow the trac...more
Anthony Deming
I don't want to give anything away here because the twists at the end (mostly foreseeable if you are paying attention) are really what saved this book for me.

This book explores a very interesting premise. In a galactic empire, an entire quadrant of it is kept hidden from the rest of the galaxy, and has been commanded to make carpets out of hair for the last 80 thousand years. In this area the entire culture is built around these carpets. You choose your wife's based on their hair quality. You'l...more
Tanabrus
I primi capitoli mi hanno colto in contropiede, mi aspettavo una narrazione classica e invece mi sono ritrovato catapultato in un libro dove ogni personaggio ha il suo momento di gloria, il suo capitolo personale, e poi scompare o diventa un co-protagonista della storia di qualcun altro.

All'inizio questa cosa si nota poco, dato che i personaggi che seguiamo sono tutti collegati tra loro e vicini fisicamente, e può sembrare che ci sia un filo conduttore, che i primi capitoli fossero solo un'intro...more
Robert
Imagine your entire life devoted entirely to one single activity, the creation of one intricately detailed, hand crafted carpet made of human hair, meant to adorn the immense imperial palace of the eternal emperor. Imagine an entire planets social and economic structure built around this trade. The mystery behind this is so diabolical and horrific, it challenges the imagination.

This is an unusual and splendid book, a subtle masterpiece and a feast for the imagination. Told in interconnecting vig...more
Meek
"Los tejedores de cabellos" no es una novela con moraleja, es una moraleja construida como novela. Y una de las mas poderosas que he leido en mi vida: nunca vi argumentos tan contundentes acerca de la perpetuidad de las costumbres, del peligro de los mitos y las creencias a pie juntillas, del ansia de poder y venganza de los seres humanos, de la necesidad de fundamentar la existencia humana en algo fuera de ella. Ponganle un nombre si quieren: religion.

En un rincon olvidado del universo hay una...more
Eileen
Crazy book! I literally tore through this book in two days because I couldn't put it down - I HAD to know what possessed this caste of people on some planet to spend lifetimes making knotted hair carpets out of the hair of their wives and daughters, to sell to the Emperor for his palace floors. I mean, how kooky is that, all by itself? And then ... well, I don't want to say a word more because I'll spoil it ... but... it's not ever going to be what you imagine.

I love how this author writes in s...more
Nicolas
Ce roman mosaïque(1) nous parle de gens qui tissent des tapis avec des cheveux, pour les envoyer à l’empereur de l’univers, censément pour qu’il en décore son palais.
Ceci n’est que le point de départ, qui va nous faire découvrir une réalité bien plus vaste et sordide que tout ce qu’on aurait pu imaginer. J’ai un avis des plus mitigés sur ce roman, voire même franchement négatif. Pourquoi ? Tout simplement parce que je n’ai jamais rien lu d’aussi déprimant que cette accumulation de désillusions,...more
Suz
Jun 09, 2012 Suz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suz by: TAW
This book has a weird premise, which is why I bought it to begin with. On a planet, there is an entire system set up around one produced good: Carpets. Carpet-Makers are the most honored members of society. They spend their entire lives making a carpet out of human hair. They use the hair of their wives and daughters. They’re the only people in society allowed to have multiple wives - so they can have multiple colors from those wives as well as producing more colors/hair through their daughters....more
Kenya Wright
WOW! This book has changed how I think of the world. I bet you can't think of many books that have done that for you.

This is not a happy book about sunshine, rainbows, and butterflys. This book takes control of your heart and love for humanity and changes the game.

There so many themes of religion, war, existtentialim, etc.

But its entertaining. This world is crafted like no other. The characters are raw and you root and shout for them hoping the author will give them mercy.

This is a book that all...more
Vasile
As far as Science Fiction books go, I wish I could give The Carpet Makers a rating of 6 stars out of 5. Like it was already noted in this review, ‘the book could almost be read as a collection of short stories’. And every single one of them is as quaint as beautifully written. I almost wanted this book to never end. As it did still end, the last two words in the final chapter opened up a whole new set of questions that will surely keep my mind reeling for a long time.
From now on, I have a fee...more
Shawn
A very creative fantasy world wherein a class society is devoted to making hair carpets, woven from their wives' and daughters' hair. It fairly mysteriously throws you into the plot and you wonder why the "world" is set up in this manner. Characters begin to explore this mystery and I was loving it at this point. Then it started to fragment a smidgeon with ancillary characters introduced a little haphazardly. The end of the novel was its saving grace though as it was nicely wrapped up. Another b...more
Chazley
More than a little depressing. But unique, in the real meaning of the word -- I've never read anything like it, nothing even slightly similar. As far as world-building novels go, I think it's the best I've seen, but there's a different viewpoint character for every chapter, which means that you don't really get to know anyone. But even so, the short glimpses of character you get are impressive. And the plotting is impeccable. It's different -- I guess that's what makes me unsure about it. For wh...more
Jenne
Okay, so there's this planet, see, whose entire economy is based on these carpet makers who each spend their entire life making one carpet out of the hair of their wives and daughters. And they send the carpets to this sort of god-emperor in space...but then it turns out that there isn't an emperor any more, and maybe there are other planets making these carpets, and I won't tell you how it all turns out, but it will BLOW YOUR MIND, MAN.
Suzanne
I don't read much sci fi anymore, but this book was recommended to me by a good friend who said it had "a real corker of an ending". I loved it. It's very light on character development, but the interwoven stories work very well to slowly reveal a dystopian nightmare of galactic proportions. Very interesting and well written.

This book made me contemplate the futility of existence itself. It's a real downer. Good stuff!
Christine
Holy mackerel! This book was exactly what I've been hungering after for a long, long time. Brilliant juxtaposition of micro- and macro-tragedy. Eschbach's sense of the eternal is mind-boggling. I loved the chapter about the Palace of Tears, and what the rebel Jubad had to do to the Emperor. And I loved that there was an archivist!
Scheherazade
this book is amazing! It made me weep. do not speed read this book. take time to absorb it. the translation is clear and the prose simple. this book is about a single act of retribution so cruel it encompasses an entire solar system, beautiful and lyrical without being flowery. I recommend this this book to all my friends.
Michelle
Holy cow.

This novel is not easy to find, but it's well worth the effort. At first the writing is sort of Ursula LeGuin-ish (sparse, but hiding a remarkable amount of depth) but then everything changes about halfway through, and by the end it's just breathtaking. I've really never read anything like it.
Bbrown
I'd rate this book 3 and 1/2 stars, if that were an option. The Carpet Makers is admirable for several reasons, avoiding some common pitfalls to Science Fiction books but also stumbling a few times near the finish.

In a clear parallel to the stitching of a carpet, the book weaves together a plethora of individual stories focusing on separate characters to form a tableaux of a massive interstellar empire. The book starts with the actual carpet makers, before switching to the merchants who transpor...more
Pancha
One of the best examples of a novel in short stories I have read. This wasn't just loosely interconnected stories of chapters the author couldn't bother to bridge. The trajectory of the plot advanced with each story, slowly unraveling the creepy history of the carpet makers.
Whatever happened to Nillian Jegetar Cuain? 1 7 Nov 10, 2013 12:41PM
  • The Wreck of The River of Stars
  • China Mountain Zhang
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • The Extremes
  • Probability Moon (Probability, #1)
  • City of the Chasch (Planet of Adventure, #1)
  • Spin State
  • Le trône de fer (Le trône de fer, #1)
Andreas Eschbach is a German writer who mostly writes science fiction. Even if some of his stories do not exactly fall into the SF genre, they usually feature elements of the fantastic.

Eschbach studied aerospace engineering at the University of Stuttgart and later worked as a software engineer. He has been writing since he was 12 years old. His first professional publication was the short story Do...more
More about Andreas Eschbach...
Eine Billion Dollar Das Jesus Video Ausgebrannt Der letzte seiner Art Herr aller Dinge

“But shame is like a wound that is never exposed and therefore never heals.” 12 likes
“It only becomes art if it touches other people.” 10 likes