Start by marking “Des milliards de tapis de cheveux” as Want to Read:
Des milliards de tapis de cheveux

Des milliards de tapis de cheveux

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,807 Ratings  ·  291 Reviews
Ostvan est tisseur. Comme le veut la tradition, depuis qu'il a pris femme, il tisse un tapis à l'aide des cheveux de son épouse, ainsi que ceux de ses filles. Il y passe toutes ses journées, s'usant les yeux et les doigts. Pour vivre, les siens et lui ont l'argent que son père a tiré de la vente de son propre tapis de cheveux, bien des années plus tôt, et Ostvan espère bie ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 315 pages
Published August 20th 2004 by J'ai Lu (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Des milliards de tapis de cheveux, please sign up.

Alessandro Petrini One of best science fiction books of the last 20 years

Belcebon
Oct 18, 2015 Belcebon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No necesité más que echar un vistazo a la sinopsis para lanzarme de cabeza. Ciencia ficción viejuna y una historia que engancha más que los nudos de los tejedores de alfombras. Está contada en capítulos donde el protagonista siempre es distinto, aunque habrá personajes que enlacen las historias entre sí. En la primera parte sobre todo, tienes la impresión de estar leyendo las historias de Sherezade. Además el final es muy redondo y se lee en un momento. ¿Qué más se puede pedir?

P.D: Gracias a Sar
Jokoloyo
Jul 10, 2016 Jokoloyo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Carpet Makers (TCM) has both good quality: a good concept and a very good execution. The concept is epic and deep, the writing execution is resembling the carpet weaving in the story itself.

(view spoiler)
Shane Curran
Jun 11, 2008 Shane Curran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Carpet Makers is a well thought out, expansive sci-fi story that despite it's scope manages to deliver a simple morality tale about human nature during times of change.

It took me a few chapters to get used to the author's style. Each chapter seemed to start a new narrative, following a different group of characters, with few repeat appearances from previous characters or story-lines. The book could almost be read as a collection of short stories. A few chapters in I started to see the relati
Jun 18, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, sf
The Carpet Makers is constructed like a carpet, weaving narratives together to tell a story that is at once immense in scope and driven by attention to the tiniest detail. Each chapter is a short story focusing on a different character. No perspective is repeated, but themes and characters recur, as seen through the eyes of others. Often we encounter a character several chapters before his or her significance becomes apparent. The end result is a book that is satisfying as a whole, with several ...more
Javir11
Mar 27, 2016 Javir11 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los tejedores de cabellos es una de esas historias donde lo importante es la trama y el mensaje que el autor nos quiere inculcar con ella.

Engancha bastante, sobre todo a partir de mitad del libro solo pensaba en descubrir el secreto que había detrás de las alfombras de cabellos.

La forma en que esta narrada es original. No hay un personaje protagonista como tal y en cada uno de los 17 capítulos disfrutaremos del punto de vista de 17 personajes distintos.

Con esto conseguimos una mayor amplitud de
Lisa Vegan
From the beginning I thought this had to do with (view spoiler) and it does, but by the end I was thinking the story addressed (view spoiler) and so much more.

The first chapter was originally written as a short story, and it’s a good short story. The entire story is interesting, and I love how it folds
Kim
At first this seems like a simple, but unusual, story of a planet whose whole purpose is the creation of carpets made of hair to sell for their Emperor-God. The carpets are made from the hair of the carpet makers wives and daughters and will take their entire life to create just one. As the story unfolds you gradually learn all is not as it seems and something quite sinister is happening.

This was a mesmerising tale which kept me glued to the pages so much I read the whole book in a couple hours
Phoenixfalls
This is the sort of science fiction that's perfect to hand to someone who says they never read science fiction -- sure, it's set in the future, and there are space ships, and we visit a couple of different planets in a vast interstellar empire, but that's ultimately just a slightly-more-exotic-than-usual setting for a story about some very human people whose lives touch because they each in some way illuminate the central mystery.

Each chapter is told from a different character's perspective, and
Nikki
Aug 12, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has to get five stars from me because it's the first book in quite a while that I would've stayed up late into the night to finish, even if I was exhausted. From the first chapter, it weaves a compelling mystery and builds a whole new world. The writing itself is beautiful; the translation is excellent, with no sense of a gap between me and the text, which I often do get with translations. I think I'm going to have to parcel it up and send it on a round of my friends to read.

I'm not ac
Penny
Overall I definitely enjoyed this book although there were some aspects of it that I didn't like so much. The chapters jump around a bit, there wasn't much in the way of female characters who weren't defined by sex, and the reveal at the end came in a package I didn't find all that believable.

That said, the story that gets revealed was completely unexpected and goes to show what ultimate power can do. It isn't a pretty sight. I can't discuss the best aspect of the story without giving away the e
Maree
Jun 20, 2012 Maree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that The Alternate Worlds is just an awesome group to be reading books such as this with. This month, this book was taken apart almost chapter by chapter and commented on and discussed and I loved the thought and detail that went into the responses. It just means so much more than the 'oh I really liked it, it was a good book!' posts on some of the younger groups.

And...on to the review!

I really appreciated the structure of novel - each chapter was kind of like a short story in itse
Lori
Sep 03, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend! There are quite a few twists and surprises that I didn't expect, and usually I'm pretty good at that.

We start off on one world with a inhibited society ruled by a never seen Emperor who has a complete religion and culture based on his godness and the society is only to serve him. Very restrictive and inhibitive revolving around the craftsmen who spend their entire lives to make hair carpets using the hair from their wives and daughters.

I was completely settled in to this one
Juan
Dec 25, 2014 Juan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado. Un libro redondo de principio a fin.
Ryandake
Apr 16, 2015 Ryandake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-good-shit
even better the second (or possibly the third) time around.

the novel is a series of interlinked short stories, more or less. this time around reading it i had the feeling it was a tapestry, altho possibly not made of women's hair.

that's what the carpet makers make: carpets out of women's hair. their wives' and subwives' hair. fear not, no women are harmed in the making of this carpet. well, not just for their hair, anyway.

the carpet makers work their art as honored members of their society. a ca
Badb
Mar 04, 2015 Badb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5.
echaba de menos leer uno de mis géneros favoritos, sino el favorito, cf, el que siempre me ha acompañado en mi vida como amante de los libros, pero dudaba por cual decidirme, y aunque confieso que tenía dudas sobre este, me alegro de haberme decidido por él. me encantó. en principio no parece el típico libro de cf al uso, ese planeta dominado por una fe enfermiza, ignorante del resto, sin querer ver más allá, pero luego te adentra en un mundo más extenso, en traiciones,mentiras, absolutism
David Yoon
Feb 20, 2016 David Yoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A desiccated and dusty planet where carpet weavers spend their entire lives hunched over a loom, weaving a carpet made of hair drawn from their wives. It takes a lifetime to produce a single carpet which is sold to line the Emperor’s palace. The proceeds are passed to the son who will spend his life weaving his own carpet and so on through the generations.

In a single first chapter this entire system is outlined and explained with a beautifully strict economy of words. It’s tightly woven (sorry)
Annerlee
I read (on Goodreads) that the first chapter of this novel won a literature prize as a short story... I can believe it... It definitely had punch!

The other chapters followed in a similar way: a collection of interlinked short stories, puzzle pieces that slowly slipped into place to reveal a picture of the whole. The puzzle of the first chapter is finally solved at the very end.

The book develops into science fiction, but I wasn't at all sure how / whether this was going to happen. The first few
Julie
This first caught my attention long ago purely because Orson Scott Card wrote the introduction (for all the man's flaws, he still occupied a very important role in my early sci fi consumption), and I'm so glad that it did: I must have first read this close to a decade ago, and it was so good that it left an indelible impression on me ever since. I was still loudly recommending it even ten years later. I carted my battle-worn copy of this book across three countries: from Norway to Vancouver, the ...more
Unai
Mar 11, 2015 Unai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El titulo es extraño y tras el se esconde una historia de ciencia ficción que toma como punto de partida a las alfombras de cabellos, que dichos tejedores tardan toda la vida en confeccionar con los cabellos de sus esposas, concubinas e hijas. Es esta la historia de un momento concreto de un imperio galáctico que lleva en pie 250.000 años con un emperador que lleva miles de años gobernándolo.

Aparte del titulo, lo mas curioso es que esta narrado cada capitulo como diferentes puntos de vista de di
Althea Ann
Sep 25, 2013 Althea Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eschbach is apparently very well-regarded in his native Germany, and has won awards in multiple European countries - but this is his first book to be translated into English and published here. If 'The Carpet Makers' is any indication of the quality of his other works, I hope that English editions of his other books are on the way!
The novel is formed in a series of vignettes or separate short stories - which can sometimes, I feel, be an awkward, clunky way of doing things - I've read 'novels' li
Brenda
May 17, 2010 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm having such a hard time rating this book. Andreas Eschbach has created an amazing world to explore in The Carpet Makers. Unfortunately, he fails to really explore it. It reads like a bunch of short stories set in the same world, sometimes connected, and other times I can't really figure out what the point of a certain thread is.

There really is no character development. Not enough time is spent on any character or setting to really get the full story, before we've moved on to other character
Michael
Feb 15, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Kim
This book was a little weird; somewhat disjointed; it read almost like historical fiction but there was a heavy Science Fiction theme weaved into the story. Reminds me of the original Star Gate movie, mixing ancient (Middle Eastern) culture with a very strong Sci-Fi style. The novel starts off with what seems like a very basic story, but as you continue on it gets more complex and the world seems more sinister than expected.

The pre-historic carpet maker’s life seems a little weird, a tradition
Malapata
Jul 11, 2016 Malapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que va creciendo poco a poco, construyendo la narración a través de historias que, como las alfombras que están en su centro, se tejen hebra a hebra.

Construido a través de pequeñas narraciones sólo ligeramente engarzadas entre sí, que van creciendo desde lo particular a lo general, dejando que la información fluya poco a poco de manera que el lector no tenga nunca claro hacia donde le llevará la siguiente la historia, pero consiguiendo que todas las piezas encajen de manera natural.
Liam
Strange book. Interesting though, I can see why it's so well recieved. My only real problem with it was that the narrative was a tad disjointed, it jumped from perspective to perspective, and from location to location so much that you don't really get invested in any characters or locations. That very well might have been the point, though.
Vasile
Apr 19, 2014 Vasile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as Science Fiction books go, I wish I could give The Carpet Makers a rating of 6 stars out of 5. Like it was already noted in this review, ‘the book could almost be read as a collection of short stories’. And every single one of them is as quaint as beautifully written. I almost wanted this book to never end. As it did still end, the last two words in the final chapter opened up a whole new set of questions that will surely keep my mind reeling for a long time.
From now on, I have a fee
Nico
Apr 25, 2015 Nico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book, that reminded me a lot of Asimov stories. Slowly moving the plot and scope with short stories from a small region on a planet to a galactic empire, until everything comes together and makes sense. One of Eschbachs best books so far!
Andreas
Jan 07, 2015 Andreas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is not very often the case that I read SF novels in German. I've read Eschbach's Das Jesus Video before, which is a kind of time-travel story, and very well-known here - even adapted as a movie.

Last year, I've read lots of short stories. That might be the reason why I was hooked from the the start by this novel:
Carpet Makers is structured as connected short stories. It might even be called an anthology of stories in a common setting building up a plot. The plot is centered around the eponymou
Jordi Balcells
Dec 28, 2014 Jordi Balcells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5 Si para ti la The Cyberiad y demás fábulas de robots de Stanislaw Lem son ciencia ficción, pues esto también lo será. Pero para mí las fábulas como estas, a pesar de incluir elementos propios de la cifi como los agujeros negros (y no entro en más detalles, que cualquier cosa que adelante sería spoiler), son pura fantasía: los elementos cifi solo sirven para hacer más enorme/magna/dantesca la historia. Si me la leo en clave de cifi, no me la creo y eso no puede ser, así que prefiero leerla ...more
Ian
Jul 03, 2014 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since the time of prehistory, men have tied intricate knots to make carpets for the court of the Emperor. The carpets are formed using the hair of daughters and wives and because they are so fragile and detailed, carpet makers devote their entire life to making one single carpet. Since the beginning of time, this practice of making hair carpets has descended from father to son. One day the empire of the God Emperor suddenly vanishes and strangers begin to appear from the stars to follow the trac ...more
Robert
Aug 21, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine your entire life devoted entirely to one single activity, the creation of one intricately detailed, hand crafted carpet made of human hair, meant to adorn the immense imperial palace of the eternal emperor. Imagine an entire planets social and economic structure built around this trade. The mystery behind this is so diabolical and horrific, it challenges the imagination.

This is an unusual and splendid book, a subtle masterpiece and a feast for the imagination. Told in interconnecting vig
Philosophical or Sci fi? 2 14 Aug 20, 2015 04:34AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "The Carpet Makers" - Final Thoughts *Spoilers* 26 78 Feb 11, 2015 05:18AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "The Carpet Makers" First Impressions *No Spoilers* 45 155 Jan 25, 2015 09:15PM
Whatever happened to Nillian Jegetar Cuain? 2 19 Jan 21, 2015 09:10AM
  • Janua vera
  • Collector
  • Le meraviglie del possibile: Antologia della Fantascienza
  • Mission Child
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Les Portes d'Occident (Wang, #1)
  • Silently and Very Fast
  • Ilium: La rivolta (Ilium/Olympos, #2)
  • Aye, and Gomorrah: And Other Stories
  • Davy
  • The Dirdir (Planet of Adventure, #3)
  • Die Neuromancer-Trilogie
  • The Color of Distance
Andreas Eschbach is a German writer who mostly writes science fiction. Even if some of his stories do not exactly fall into the SF genre, they usually feature elements of the fantastic.

Eschbach studied aerospace engineering at the University of Stuttgart and later worked as a software engineer. He has been writing since he was 12 years old. His first professional publication was the short story Do
More about Andreas Eschbach...

“But shame is like a wound that is never exposed and therefore never heals.” 20 likes
“It only becomes art if it touches other people.” 13 likes