Start by marking “The Two Faces of Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
The Two Faces of Tomorrow

The Two Faces of Tomorrow

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  607 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Survival test.
Civilization had grown so complex that only a world-wide computer network could control everything. But the computer was only logical - it lacked common sense. And its all-too-logical decisions were beginning to cause too many near-fatal accidents.
The solution was on the drawing-boards - a universal, self-aware and self-programming computer, equipped with jud
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published June 12th 1979 by Del Rey (first published May 12th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Faces of Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two Faces of Tomorrow

I didn’t read the synopsis for this book until after I had read the book. I’m glad I didn’t, because the synopsis pretty much sums up the first third of the book. Where’s the fun in that?

After I had read a few pages, my initial thought was that this was going to be a “computers take over the world” type of book. It wasn’t quite like that. I had been on the right track, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the characters show some common sense and forethought. In stories where technology has run
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Hard Science Fiction and stories of AI
This (barely) makes three stars for me. What I liked? Well, this is hard science fiction, and one that, astonishingly, despite a 1979 publication doesn't feel dated. The novels centers on the dilemma of Artificial Intelligence that gives us the two faces of tomorrow. A powerful, self-aware computer can be a partner of humanity giving us an exciting, unlimited future--or can be an unbeatable adversary (think Terminator). To test which future is likely, Project Janus sets up on a Space Station whe ...more
Sean Randall
"HESPER machines were learning machines, designed to be capable of identifying connections between previously nonrelated factors in order to solve new problems or to solve old ones in newer and better ways."

This sounds great, until the machines in question decide that using conventional earth-moving equipment to shift an obstruction is an outdated fashion and dropping bombs on the area is a quicker way of getting the job done, as the opening of this book shows. The operator said "absolute best
Andrew Petalik
This books explores computer intelligence. Not the typical "will computers get smart and decide to replace us", but a very brilliant concept of "A computer may be smart, but does it have common sense?"

The book begins with a system called Titan that runs lots of the mundane tasks around the world and the moon. There are mining stations that launch raw ore for delivery to a waiting station, all controlled by Titan.

A request is put in to excavate a particular spot on the moon. Normally, the ETA for
David King
The novel is set in the mid-21st century and follows a team of scientists lead by Dr Raymond Dyer who are attempting to develop a computer programme that is capable of learning, adapting and using something similar to the common sense inherent in humans. When a computer programme manages to almost kill a group of engineers due to its logical handling of a situation, Dr Dyer and his team are brought in to discuss the ramifications. The various discussions and thoughts around the situation leads t ...more
Why I Reread this Book: First, because a friend of mine is working on a non-fiction book with related themes (and indeed because the subject matter interests me). Second, because I started rereading it as a test of a new eBook reader on my iPhone (Air Sharing).

This is a serious and carefully-thought-out approach to the question of whether it is safe to incorporate imperfectly-understood AI into a world-spanning computer network upon which the world depends. Or, in modern terms, would it be desir
Carlos "CAP"
Fascinating and engaging. Offered the one way to test for artificial intelligence that is risk managed and controlled against humans. Reminded me on a "Person of Interest" episode that had a flashback were Finch had to de-activate a series as he was determining if the machine was "safe".
Karl Smithe
This is the most realistic Artificial Intelligence story I know of. It may not be the best written science fiction but good sci-fi is a good story involving science not "literature".

This is a story of the near future from the perspective of 1978. Tiny computers are everywhere integrating the functioning of society. But the expert systems are still making dumb mistakes. As a result of a dumb mistake some workmen are nearly killed on the Moon. So they decide to evolve an artificial intelligence to
An excellent story of a live experiment of an AI's power. While written a while ago, it still comes across as real and current. The insights, actions and reaction are very plausible and exciting. The story mostly follows the AI development team; including as they split up to work in different areas.
Otis Campbell
One that laughs one that cries
One says hello one says goodbye
One does things I don't understand
Nov 27, 2014 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1992 grade A
2010 grade B+
Tom Potter
If you liked or loved 2001: A Space Odyssey, then you will most likely love this. I think it is better than 2001. The reason it's often compared is because it's about an artifical intelligence that takes over, and man attempting to defeat it.
There are a lot of novels about super intelligent computers either saving or destroying civilization. It's rare to read one from the perspective of actively building such an intelligent computer. Though not an epic tale, this book covers some interesting possibilities, and I enjoyed the reading.
I liked this book, seemed a little less hard SciFi that some of James P Hogan's other Sci-Fi books. However it was rather predictable using the AI stereotype that for whatever reason, computers and AI will attempt to turn against its masters.
Keith Bell
I great novel that would be an even better movie today. Although written in 1979, it remains relevant to today and can be read as if written yesterday.
Moving and insightful and far ahead of its time, this book was full of action, adventure, science, and epic despair. Beautiful and amazing.
Interesting concept and execution but too much padding.
Interesting concept.
Kamil marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Andy Mac
Andy Mac marked it as to-read
Tyler Hill
Tyler Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Nica marked it as to-read
TC Daniel
TC Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Robin marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Carl J
Carl J is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2015
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Great Kings' War
  • West Of Honor
  • The Forlorn
  • Wisdom of the Fox (Gerin the Fox, #2-3)
  • Sleipnir
  • Resonance
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Planetfall
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
James Patrick Hogan was a British science fiction author.

Hogan was was raised in the Portobello Road area on the west side of London. After leaving school at the age of sixteen, he worked various odd jobs until, after receiving a scholarship, he began a five-year program at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough covering the practical and theoretical sides of electrical, electronic, and m
More about James P. Hogan...

“The scene beyond was eerie - a tortured jungle of torn pipes and jagged twisted-metal sculptures rearing up out of nightmare chasms of shadow being cast by a few emergency lamps glowing dull red to preserve night vision. As her eyes adjusted to the gloom, she made out several shadowy helmeted figures crouching over weapons in the darker recesses and behind makeshift parapets of smashed machines and crumpled wreckage.” 0 likes