Tales from the Empire (Star Wars)

Tales from the Empire (Star Wars)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  2,058 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Culled from the pages of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, one of the most popular Star Wars magazines in the field today, comes this exciting new short-story collection.Here are stories from such award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors as Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole and Kathy Tyers as well as exciting newcomers, including Erin Endom, Laurie Burns, and P...more
Published November 3rd 1997 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Empire

Path of Destruction by Drew KarpyshynHeir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James LucenoRule of Two by Drew KarpyshynThe Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
Best Star Wars Books
156th out of 316 books — 854 voters
Heir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnDark Force Rising by Timothy ZahnThe Last Command by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James LucenoStar Wars Episode IV by George Lucas
Star Wars Novels
162nd out of 177 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Ron
Three and a half, mostly on the weight of Zahn and Stackpole's contributions.

A pleasant, if spotty, collection of stories--mostly occurring between Episodes Five and Six. The opening story is notably from after Episode Six. Corran Horn's appearances are inverted within this sequence.

It's always a pleasure to make the acquaintance of Mara Jade, Admiral Thran and Corran Horn, with the later two working together in a short Timothy Zahn-Micheal Stackpole novel.

Then there was Schweighofer's pointless...more
Wuher
For many years in the canon timeline, the galaxy had been ruled by the Emperor and his galactic empire. During such times, adventures had occurred, tales of rebel heroes fighting on the rise against the Empire. Tales from the Empire, edited by Peter Schweighofer, features specially selected stories that were originally published in the Star Wars Adventure Journal magazine written by well-known authors such as Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole, Kathy Tyers, and more. Such tales include how Mara...more
Adam
The title of this anthology is fairly misleading. It's a collection of short stories from the old Star Wars Adventure Journal. You'd think with such a large volume of tales to draw on, they could find some real POV Imperial stories. But no. What "from the Empire" means here is usually "from Rebels fighting the Empire." Which is a shame because getting perspective from Imperial loyalists, soldiers, citizens, is really interesting. When it's done well, it makes some of the best stories we have - Z...more
Jeff Cothern
From Library Journal

This collection of 13 short stories by nine authors is an outgrowth from the Star Wars Adventure Journal and the Star Wars role-playing games. Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole, Kathy Tyers, Patricia A. Jackson, Laurie Burns, Charlene Newcomb, Tony Russo, Angela Phillips, and Erin Endom have written engaging tales about the peripheral characters?rather than the stars Princess Leia, Han Solo, and Luke Skywalker?who add to the rich tapestry of George Lucas's space opera. Rec

Dustin Dye
After reading this collection of short stories, I've come to the conclusion I don't care much about the Star Wars expanded universe. None of the stories feature the characters we knew and loved from the movies. They all followed the individual author's original heroes. Most of the stories could easily be re-purposed as non-Star Wars stories. Darth Vader makes a brief appearance just so Thrawn wouldn't have to talk to himself in that scene. The short novel by Timothy Zahn and Michael A. Stackpole...more
erforscherin
(3.5 of 5 stars)

Surprisingly enjoyable as anthologies go, this one is a collection of "best of the best" stories from the Star Wars Adventure Journal, which may best be described as a fanzine that took itself extremely seriously, and had both the professional funding and "research" backing to do so. Some stories are weaker, some are definitely stronger: "Slaying Dragons" is light and cute, "First Contact" is a fun look into how Talon Karrde and Mara Jade first met, and "Side Trip" is good clean...more
Les Reynolds
Some stories were good, some so-so. Enjoyed the Timothy Zahn/Michael Stackpole joint story at the end.
Austin Poulsen
Most of the stories were just okay. The last one (a collaboration between zahn and stackpole) was awesome.
Brendan
I generally felt this collection was fairly weak. The best stories seemed to be about established characters and that might have been because they were written by established authors. The stories about random people in the EU didn't capture my attention as much. Some of them felt like they were stories that had been written and then modified by adding a few keywords such as "Stormtroopers" so that they fit into the Star Wars universe. I would only recommend this for people who want to read every...more
Scott
The best mix of stories from the 5 short story collections i have read this year, although the title is a bit deceptive, i was expecting the stories to be more from the point of view of the empire, but they still seem to concentrate on the rebels. Good stories showing how Karrde met Mara Jade, and some Thrawn and Corran Horn, wouldn't really say there were any pretty weak ones in this volume, unlike the others.
Stephanie
I really wish they would make an anthology solely of Zahn and Stackpole's Star Wars short stories. I only liked ONE of the short stories in this collection that wasn't by Zahn or Stackpole (Laura Burns' "Do No Harm"), and this is a trend with me and the Star Wars short story collections.

"Missed Chance" by Stackpole and the "Side Trip" collab by Zahn and Stackpole make this collection worth it, I guess.
Chris Michel
3.5 stars. Very good stories by Timothy Zahn and Michael A. Stackpole. The other stories are so-so. All of them interesting bits about the expanded universe. Enjoyed the initial meeting of Mara Jade and Talon Karrde. Also enjoyed the stories with Corran Horn. Was neat to see him working with his father. And of course Admiral Thrawn is even more of a badass now.
Dustin Gaughran
I knew this was a collection of shorts, but it was still disappointing. The majority of the stories are like minor scenes from any larger novel, except they involve mostly new, insignificant characters that disappear as fast as they emerge. It might have been more entertaining had the stories used established characters, and just gave them new adventures.
Mark
There are a lot of short stories in this volume, and I remember only one: something co-written by Timothy Zahn (since it involved Grand Admiral Thrawn) and Michael A. Stackpole (since it involved Corran Horn). I am sure I enjoyed this at the time, but unlike a handful of other SW books I'm not going to try to make it out to be any more than it is.
stormhawk
Better than fan-fic, but this collection of Star Wars-inspired short stories lacks the fire and energy that made the movies exciting and fun ... familiar character and planetary names scattered through the tales make you yearn for the excitement and craft of the originals and distance the stories from the canon, rather than tie them to it.
Dennis Brock
Jan 08, 2012 Dennis Brock rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hard core Star Wars Fans
Shelves: star-wars-novels
Couldn't get into all of this book but really liked "First Contact" by Timothy Zahn and the 4 Part "Side Trip" also by Zahn & Michael Stackpole. Read 3 other of the short stories and they were just ok. attempted to read some others but couldn't finish them. Other than Zahn & Stackpole it just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me.
Kayla
I got this book for my birthday one year, I'm pretty sure it was my 12th birthday. I really couldn't put this book down. I really liked how it brought back a lot of Star Wars Expanded Universe characters and had stories exclusively about them and not the main characters from the movie because that doesn't happen very often.
Patrickderaaff
Some nice stories, but nothing more. Skip this and you will not have missed much. Interesting enough though for Star Wars Expanded Universe fans to pick up and especially for Zahn and Stackpole followers. Side Trip, a well crafted tale by both gentlemen, is featured in this collection.
Richard Houchin
I read a lot of Star Wars novels in Jr. High. This one, like all of the "Tales" collections, was actually pretty good. It's hard to go wrong with short story collections -- curious ideas and interesting character studies in a compact form!
Tony Thomas
Outstanding collection of short stories. The best of these has to be the 4 part final story by Timothy Zahn featuring Grand Admiral Thrawn. Well worth the £5.99 asking price.
Christina
The stories by Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole really are the only reason to read this book. I would have given it 4 stars if it was just a compilation of just their stories.
Travis
Not bad, but it tended to be more about the rebels. Not a lot of insight into the guys in the Empire.
I wanted to see more Storm trooper POV or adventures of Darth Vader.
Bradley
Lots of stories strung together by good old West End Games. Very interesting tales of smugglers, Rebels, and other such Star Wars zaniness.
Jason Pym
A collection of fan fiction short stories, a lot more fun and readable than the Stackpole series.
Grant Thompson
Timothy Zahn's short stories were clearly the best in this relatively quick read.
Tony
Not as "alive" as the other Star Wars "Tales of..." books, but still pretty good.
Amy
I really enjoyed this, and I don't usually like short stories, as a rule.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 11, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
Shelves: star-wars
Some fun Star Wars short stories to be found here.
Taran
This book was great!
  • Tales from Jabba's Palace (Star Wars)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Jedi Healer (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #5) (Medstar, #2)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • The Cestus Deception (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #2)
  • Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)
  • Fool's Bargain (Star Wars)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars) Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook (Star Wars RPG) Star Wars Adventure Journal 1 Star Wars Adventure Journal 11 Star Wars Adventure Journal 2