Start by marking “Franklin Wants A Pet” as Want to Read:
Franklin Wants A Pet

Franklin Wants A Pet (Franklin the Turtle)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,379 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Everyone's favorite turtle hero is back with a lesson about responsibility and love. In a simple, charmingly illustrated tale, Franklin proves to his parents that he can take care of a pet, and picks a pretty goldfish for his own. Full color.
Published March 1st 1995 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Franklin Wants A Pet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franklin Wants A Pet

Don H.M
Nov 02, 2016 Don H.M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trololol
A modern philosophical satire of human society, presenting paradoxical anomalies as it talks about ownership of nature. It also explicitly references the treatment of slaves throughout human history and addresses the problem objectively. A masterpiece of our time, truly.
Romanaus Elangwe
Mar 14, 2014 Romanaus Elangwe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patience
Franklin could count by two, tie his shoes, sleep alone and had a best friend Bear, but
Franklin wanted something else; he wanted a pet. Franklin waited for a long time after asking his parents over and over about having a pet. His parents did not refuse; their answer was "we will think about it." Franklin's friends proposed a bird for a pet, but he didn't like a bird because birds loud singing may wake him up too early; Franklin's friend, the beaver proposed a cat for a pet, but Franklin compla
Shannon
Feb 13, 2017 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I want to know what the rules are for this world. Why are some animals "people" that stand upright and talk, while others are simply pets? What if another character wanted a pet turtle?
Margo Martin
In the book Franklin Wants a Pet by Paulette Bourgeois, Franklin asks his parents time and time again if he can get a pet but every time they say “we will think about it”. Franklin goes off to play with his friend bear, who says he would get a bird as a pet if he got the chance. Next, Franklin plays with his friend Beaver who says he would get a pet cat if he got the chance, and Goose said he would get a pet bunny. That night at breakfast, Franklin brought his pet dog to the table to show his pa ...more
Shayla.boyle
Franklin asks his parents if he can get a pet. After showing his parents that he is capable of being responsible for a pet, they decide that he can choose a pet. Franklin decides to get a goldfish. This book reveals responsibility and the benefits of this action. It is good for young readers because it shows that you need to work for things and be able to show you are responsible for a big event like getting a pet. This would be a good book to use in a classroom because it is something that most ...more
Margaret Welwood
What kindergartner can't identify with a child, even a child turtle, whose parents take SO long to make a decision? And who doesn't want a pet?

Franklin books are always a good choice, with bright, clear pictures and warm, engaging stories. This one has suspense as well . . . will Franklin's parents say yes?

They do, but more suspense follows. Franklin doesn't want a puppy! He doesn't even want a kitten! Franklin has both his parents and the kindergartners mystified until the end. . . and Erin is
Greta is Erikasbuddy
What a great yardsale find!!

My neighbor went out to a yardsale over the weekend and look what she brought me home!!

A super sonic squee book about little Franklin who wants a pet.

Zomg!! I melted at every picture!

Franklin asks his parents if it would be cool if he had a pet. His parents said they would think about it. Awesome!! They didn't say 'no'!

Over time, Franklin starts to get impatient but instead of asking his parents a zillion times what they decided, he instead visits his friends and asks
Jessica Bennett
I love all of the Franklin books because they are all about topics that children can relate too! What child hasn't asked their parents for a pet? Franklin wants a pet, but his parents are reluctant to let him have one. This book is great because children can predict what pet Franklin wants to get. I would read this book during free time.
Kayla Heenan
Franklin is so great at relating to students in the kindergarten through second grade age groups. The pictures are so vibrant, they really capture the eye. In this particular story Franklin decides he wants a pet. I feel as if this is so common for many kids and they feel like they will relate to him. This story is perfect for reading out loud to the students.
The Brothers
Franklin has been asking his parents for a pet for a very long time. At last they think he's ready and are willing to get him a pet. But, what kind of pet will Franklin get?

Typical Franklin illustrations.
Lauren
Oct 04, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked these books when I was young, so it was fun to read them again in a new language. I love Franklin, even though this book was nearly beyond my comprehension. I will definitely read more as I get better at Spanish!
Kristy
Franklin gets advice on what pet to get from all of his friends...but his mind is made up! He wants a goldfish. :D
Child960801
Jan 17, 2011 Child960801 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute. However, in the first book, Franklin in the Dark, on the cover is a picture of Franklin's fish Goldie in her bowl.
Deborah Harris
Dec 27, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-2, a21
AR Quiz No. 18621 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Shacoria
This story was very cute. All little Franklin wants is a pet and in the end he gets one. I was glad he didn't choose the typical dog for a pet. It was a very nice ending.
Ricky Bloxsom
Ricky Bloxsom rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Tara Foote
Tara Foote rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Misty
Misty rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2008
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Linda Granato
Linda Granato rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Nikki Raynor
Nikki Raynor rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Emily Xanders
Emily Xanders rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Tami
Tami rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Mack Edwards
Mack Edwards rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Trin1073
Trin1073 rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
  • The Berenstain Bears and Baby Makes Five
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Froggy Rides a Bike
  • What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
  • Butterfly Kisses
  • Anakin to the Rescue (LEGO Star Wars)
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • Dora Loves Boots
  • Don't Eat the Teacher
  • The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top: A Book About Volcanoes
  • What Grandmas Do Best / What Grandpas Do Best
  • Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Show Me Your Smile! A Visit to the Dentist (Dora the Explorer)
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bourgeois graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational therapy from the University of Western Ontario in 1974. She was a psychiatric occupational therapist for three years before deciding to focus on her writing. She studied journalism at Carlton University then worked as a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen and CBC Television. She became a freelance journal ...more
More about Paulette Bourgeois...

Franklin the Turtle (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Franklin In The Dark