Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul: Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit of Writers” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Being a writer can be a lonely and frustrating experience. The stories in this book-by a wide range of professional writers, novelists, journalists, freelancers, poets and screenwriters-will give readers insight into the human trials, tribulations and triumphs of writers, and writers a source of inspiration and commiseration.

Whether readers are beginning writers, seasoned

Published June 29th 2000 by Health Communications (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul

The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.On Writing by Stephen KingMFA in a Box by John RemberThe Artist's Way by Julia CameronBird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Best Books For Writers
6th out of 59 books — 43 voters
The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Food for the Soul
48th out of 49 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Let me preface this review with the fact that I don't like soup.
My family doesn't understand this, because my father could live on soup if given the choice, but I don't like it. Neither do I like stew. There's something about practically drinking your dinner that doesn't appeal to me (unless it's Guinness, but that's a much different kind of dinner). I only like soup if I know I'm starting to get sick, and then it's like drinking alarming amounts of orange juice; a preventative measure.
The 90s p
by Jack Canfield
Edition: Paperback

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Lighten Your Heart, October 18, 2008

I love the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, and Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul is no exception. What a great idea, to have published authors encourage other writers, by telling their stories.

Did you know that Dr. Seuss's first book, And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Stree
Lindsey Silvestrini
Just when I think I can’t possibly love Chicken Soup more, they come out with Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers. Writing has always been a passion of mine and the way that I express myself best. But like anything else, sometimes I experience burn out or writers block and lately it’s been both. This book came along at the perfect time and truly lifted my spirits and inspired me anew!

Making Time to Write was my absolute favorite section! One of the problems with being a stay at ho
Indah
Alih Bahasa : Rina Buntaran
Ilustrasi dan desain cover : Yasmine Hadibroto
Hak cipta terjemahan bahasa Indonesia : Penerbit PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Diterbitkan pertama kali oleh : Penerbit PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama, 2007

Tulisan Anda kerap ditolak penerbit atau media massa ? Anda kurang yakin, kalau menulis bisa menjadi gantungan hidup Anda dalam mencari nafkah. Atau ilham dan gairah menulis tidak ada, padahal tulisan sudah setengah jadi, atau berhenti ditengah jalan tanpa mampu melakukan apa-apa.
Travis
Someone gave this to me as a gift since I go on and on about how I dream of being a writer. This book was like an infusion of enthusiasm. Lots of little stories about writers. Probably my favorite was about this guy who buys a small farm house and when he isn't writing he is out doing experiments on himself to see how things really feel, so he can write about it with authenticity. So he goes out and shoots a gun in between chapters, or has his wife stuff him in the trunk and drive around with hi ...more
Amy
This is the second Chicken Soup for Writer's book I have read now. So many of these stories are so inspirational. Some memorable ones are simply advice on how to write, chance circumstances across the world that are too wild to be a coincidence. A few great ones about the author Alex Haley, and the last one in the book is a wonderful piece by Ray Bradbury. After reading many of these stories I found myself stopping, simply clutching the book, and staring out the window with tears in my eyes. Man ...more
Kirana
Bagus! Saya bukanlah penggemar serial Chicken Soup. Dulu kalau sekilas baca buku Chicken Soup, seringkali berpikir "Buku gini laris ya?". Tapi Chicken Soup yang ini, saya benar-benar bisa bilang bagus! Salah satu yang membuat saya terkesan adalah kisah seorang akademisi yang mengalami cedera otak. Akibatnya, ia tidak bisa melakukan hal-hal yang dulunya dapat ia lakukan dengan brilian, termasuk menulis. Akhirnya, setelah menjalani terapi, dia dapat kembali melakukan hal-hal tersebut tapi dengan t ...more
Fonny Jodikin
I think this book has inspired me to become a good writer with huge passion for the writing itself. This book has encouraged me once more to pursue my dream as a writer. I've once tried to forget about becoming a full time and dedicated writer. But this book has burnt the desire once more to become one.
jacky
I bought and started reading this on a vacation. I believe it was just on the Cape, but I remember that while other people went off to other stores, I wanted to stay in the bookstore. The stories were held my attention at the time, but none jump out at me in my memory now.
Judine
It shows the support needed by struggling authors AND how they get it from their family and friends. Without support and feedback, it is next to impossible to make it as a writer and that's why my friends are such a valuable sounding board for me.
StoryTellerShannon
Sometimes this series seems wussy but this particular book is absolutely great. You get to read about authors during their struggling years and times of doubt, and, it's all across the board in writer types.

Enjoy.
Vernie
Jun 26, 2007 Vernie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who aspire to become good writers
I bought this book because I have stopped being a published writer since 2005 (thanks to technology=). I read this every time I wanted to be reminded that more than anyting---writing is my destiny.
It's one of those book that just reaches out and touches your heart. I enjoy it for the sentimental and emotional journey that you go through when reading the short stories.
Zeno
Nakokornihan din ako sa sarili ko kung bakit ko binili 'to. Wala eh, para kasi akong naliligaw na bata na kahit kanino sasama para lang makabalik sa tahanan.
Yvonne
This is a must-read for writers, whether you're a professional or someone who just likes to pen a poem every now and then. It truly soothes the soul.
Kristine
Aug 23, 2007 Kristine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to write
I always thought I should give up on writing because I can't do it for a living anyway, but this book made me want to write again.
Kirk Hanley
This had been sitting on my bookshelf for years before I read it. Like many Chicken Soup books, it's a bit of a mixed bag. There are some stories that are quite inspirational - the ones that make you say, "What am I complaining about?" And there are some funny stories in here as well, which I enjoyed. Then there are a bunch that make you shrug and wonder why they're supposed to be so inspirational. Of course, someone else may have a completely different mix of what inspires them and what doesn't ...more
Nancy
Jul 22, 2010 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers and readers alike
I’ve been reading snippets from this book for the past several weeks, and while there are some pretty mundane stories included, there are also some real gems. The book is composed of short essays by published writers (some well-known, some not-so-much) on such topics as finding your voice, overcoming obstacles, the power of perseverance, etc. It also includes lots of quotes pertaining to writing and several cartoons. You don’t have to be a writer to enjoy it, as it gives real insight into readin ...more
Helvry Sinaga
Sekitar sepuluh tahun yang lalu, saya pernah membaca buku Quantum Learning, yang mungkin saat itu sedang ngetrendnya istilah Quantum. Pelajaran fisika mekanika quantum masih lumayan segar di kepala saya (saat itu). Pada saat itu materi dalam buku itu kira-kira "memprogram" diri sendiri untuk mencapai tujuan pelajaran dengan membuat semacam pohon perencanaan. Di benak saya saat itu, saya memutuskan untuk belajar menulis. Kenapa menulis? Saat itu saya pikir menulis itu menyenangkan. Namun, setelah ...more
Rahmadiyanti
Rasa takut ditolak lebih buruk daripada penolakan itu sendiri, begitu kata Nora Profit, salah satu penulis yang menyumbang kisah dalam buku ini. Bayangkan, karena begitu takut tulisannya ditolak, saat menerima surat dari sebuah majalah nasional dimana ia mengirim karya, Nora langsung melempar surat tersebut dan melupakannya. Lima tahun kemudian ketika sedang membersihkan rumah, ia menemukan surat tersebut. Ternyata isi surat itu adalah pujian bahwa tulisannya sangat bagus dan majalah tersebut ma ...more
Lacey Louwagie
To be fair to this book, I don't think I'm the right "audience" for the Chicken Soup books, or I'm just not inspired by inspiration. This book is full of stories by authors who ran up against one obstacle or another, or wrote about how meaningful writing is, or about how it had changed their life or someone else's.

This book might have hit the mark for me more when I was sixteen, but right now, inspiration isn't really what I need on my writer's journey. Instead, I'm much more interested in readi
T.
I suppose you fall in love, early, with all kinds of things, says Ray Bradbury. In his case he fell in love with books, which gave birth to his writing. He says, "I have run amuck ever since in libraries and bookstores, with fevers and deliriums. Hysteria must be your way of life, then, if you wish, any of you, to become writers." And I know deep in my gut that he is right.

"The fact should be plain now: I am an amiable compost heap. My mind is full of moron plus brilliant trash, shoved in my ey
Rose
I found "Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul" to be an intriguing look at some writer's journeys into their careers and experiences, though I should warn those who might be going into it for writing advice that it isn't specifically a guide to that. The stories in and of themselves are of variable quality, from wonderful (notably Ray Bradbury, Earnest Gaines, among a few others) to so-so. Yet, I enjoyed this collection because it makes a point that as people, we have our own stories to tell and s ...more
Agustin
Kisah para penulis yg saling berbagi cerita yang mengharukan, menyentuh, dan menyemangatkan hati. Kita akan mengetahui proses kreatif mereka mulai dari mencari ide, memusatkan seluruh perhatian dan berjuang hingga menghasilkan tulisan, menghadapi penolakan, hingga akhirnya mewujudkan impian mereka menjadi penulis buku yang diterbitkan. Membaca pengalaman yang luar biasa ini kita dibawa untuk ikut merasakan gairah mereka dan akan terinspirasi untuk mencoba kemampuan sendiri dalam menulis. Kita ak ...more
Aisyah Fad
Saya membaca buku ini versi Indonesia, berisi tentang 42 kisah bagaimana menjadi penulis. Tentu saja pengalaman penulis yang merangkak dari bawah, bukan yang memang pada dasarnya sudah punya nazab penulis.

Pada buku ini Barnaby Conrad, memberikan ulasan mengapa dan apa motivasi serta kenikmatannya menjadi penulis. Larry Will memberikan nasehat “ Jika gagal penyebabnya karena kau mencoba. Jika berhasil, karena kau memenggunakan sebuah peluang “.

Sebagai buku terjemahan, buku ini enak dibaca, tidak
Irawan Senda
Buku ini adalah buku terbaik tentang semangat menulis, di dalamnya kita seperti menimba ilmu untuk menjadi penulis sesungguhnya. Pantaslah jika buku ini dijadikan sebagai buku yang harus dimiliki semua penulis/calon penulis di dunia.

Beberapa kisah penulis memulai semuanya dari nol bahkan dengan konsistensinya mereka bisa meraih sukses. Satu hal yang bisa diambil dan dipetik dari buku ini adalah tentang keluhuran yang harus dipertahankan ketika kita ingin meraih mimpi menjadi penulis. Menulis itu
Yelena Casale
Every story is truly inspirational and made me want to triple my writing efforts. A beautiful book for writer for motivation, inspiration or to just enjoy stories of fellow writers about their writing journey and life.
Lutfi Retno
Baguus.... Nggak kayak serial Chicken Soup lain yang (menurutku) terlalu berlebihan. Aslinya aku baca edisi yang di Indonesia diterjemahin jadi "Harga sebuah impian". Isinya tentang cerita banyak penulis saat masa-masa mereka baru mulai menulis. Macem2 deh ceritanya. Ada banyak duka dan usaha keras dari orang-orang yang ada di sini sebelum mereka akhirnya bisa menyebut dirinya penulis. Di sini ada juga ceritanya Alex Haley. Penulis kulit hitam yang beken karena nulis biografinya Malcom X (biogra ...more
Lillian
The book does live upto its name, simply heart-warming. Various writers simply echo: we've been there, done that, earned the t-shirt and you can too!
Nanou Gurung
I bought this book on my sister's recommendation few months back but i had a difficult time finding it.So the day i got this book in a bookstore for once i couldn't help kissing its cover and i was all jumping n smiling since it meant that my long wait for it was not needed anymore.I was so excited that i started going through the first few pages of the book right there..
I would say that the book would mean a great deal for the readers who aspire and love to write like me..
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • 45 Master Characters
  • Writing for Story: Craft Secrets of Dramatic Nonfiction
  • Oh My Goodness: Buku Pintar Seorang Creative Junkies
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Holly Lisle's Create a Character Clinic
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • Howdunit: How Crimes Are Committed and Solved
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Robert's Rules of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Getting the Words Right

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...
Chicken Soup for the Soul The Success Principles(TM): How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women (Chicken Soup for the Soul)

“When you speak, your words echo only across the room or down the hall. but when you write, your words echo down the ages.” 0 likes