Start by marking “The Witch Who Saved Halloween” as Want to Read:
The Witch Who Saved Halloween

The Witch Who Saved Halloween

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Witchard must solve a mystery. The situation is serious. Pollution is making it hard to breathe, buckles tarnish, and all sorts of unpleasant things are happening. And the witches are thinking of leaving the Earth to live on a cleaner planet!

Witchard finds a satisfactory solution to the pollution problem and in doing so meets some Earthling boys who become his friends and
Published August 1st 1978 by Avon Books (first published June 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Who Saved Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Who Saved Halloween

Aleta
I had this book as a child and loved it. I read it over and over one summer until I lost it (to my great disappointment) by leaving it at the beach house we'd rented one week on vacation - maybe some other child found it and enjoyed it too.

I wanted to read it again as an adult. It's a cute story. I'd forgotten how much of an environmental message the book has. Humans (which are rather oddly called earthlings in the story) have caused lots of damage with all our pollution - pollution that hurts
Jenne
Definitely way more preachy than I remembered, and Witchard far less charming, but I still enjoyed all the cute little details of how the witches live. Especially how they have different uniforms for each age, kind of like Girl Scouts!
Dolly
Nov 27, 2009 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book was merely okay. It had a good message and some interesting action, but it was far too long, far too preachy, and bored me to tears. Our girls seemed to like it; otherwise I would've stopped reading it ages ago. We could only read about 2-10 pages at any time, so it took us forever to read. The last night I read over 20 pages, just to finish it.
Elizabeth
Reading this with my oldest, I remember reading it as a kid and enjoying it (and also her other book, The Resident Witch, but my son chose this one as the protagonist is a boy). It feels a bit dated, but not too badly, and my son is loving it.
Connie Gunderson
Nowhere near as good as I remember it being. The Resident Witch was way better. FYI, Halloween isn't the theme of the book at all -- pollution is. Just what every kid wants to read about.
Harriette
I read this when I was 12 years old and this is one of my favorite children's book ever since:)))
Liana Kirkey
Liana Kirkey marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Dec 30, 2012
Britt, Book Habitue
Britt, Book Habitue marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
Resident Witch The Boy Who Saw Bigfoot Lotta Crabtree Gold Rush Girl The Copper Kings of Montana On The Track Of Bigfoot