Start by marking “The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)

The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery #10)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From the author who "turns every trip into an edge-of-your-seat adventure."*

A scam involving a fake Mackintosh writing cabinet-and murder-has antiques dealer Lara McClintoch traveling to Scotland's Orkney Islands, where she is pulled into a centuries-old Viking saga and a troubling quest that could end in danger.
Published February 6th 2007 by Berkley (first published February 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Orkney Scroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orkney Scroll

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth PetersThe Mummy Case by Elizabeth PetersAmelia Peabody's Egypt by Elizabeth PetersThe Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters
Archaeology Romance, Mystery, Suspense
110th out of 110 books — 70 voters
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Tempest by William ShakespeareAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Books Set on Islands
134th out of 273 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Rittenhouse
This is a great little book. A Viking saga is woven throughout the novel that adds something a little different to this mystery. Lara, the hero of the book, sells antique furniture and as a result finds herself in the middle of what could be a furniture forgery business and what is definitely a murder mystery. She tromps off to Orkney to save her reputation and a wrongly convicted acquaintence and ends up finding an odd assortment of characters, a treasure map and just enough twists and turns to ...more
Stuart

I liked this book a lot, a mystery story and a travel book in one, especially as it reminded me of my recent vacation in Orkney. In addition to the mystery and the descriptions of Orkney, a saga attributed a fictional Viking is built into the story as well. And it all moves along at an easy-to-read pace. Strangely, it's called an "Archeological Mystery", but it's really a mystery involving antiques.

The hero of the book is Lara McClintoch, who sells antique furniture in Toronto. When a piece of
William Stanger
I only came upon this book by chance, but I'm glad that I did.

Described as an archaeological mystery, I was worried that I wouldn't like it. However, in the end I found it hard to put down.

The book was set mainly in Toronto and Orkney, both places where I have lived, the latter for 22 years, the former 4. The detail of location, especially in Orkney, made this book very enjoyable for me.

At no point did I find the plot predictable and even when the end came it wasn't what I expected. There were c
Phlaemmle
Die Saga des Bjarne ist schön in den Roman verwoben, wer sich allerdings viel von dem Wikinger im Titel verspricht, wird enttäuscht werden. Weder befindet sich einer der Herren auf Zeitreise, noch lenkt ein mutiger, muskelbepackter Held das Geschehen. Der Hauptprotagonist ist weiblich, und in keinster Weise wikingerisch. Aber dies macht gerade den Reiz der Geschichte aus, sollte man sich darauf einlassen. Dann werden einem die Abgründe der heutigen Gesellschaft präsentiert, verwoben an historisc ...more
Christal
The Orkney Scroll is def. not one of Hamilton's better Lara McClintoch books. As far as the archeology and historical knowledge, I give it 5 stars. It's honestly the only thing that kept me reading. But character and dialogue wise this read more like it should have been her first book, as if she had a 2d character and not enough books to have fleshed out her main hero.

It also seemed that there was a lot of fluffy filler just to bulk out the book. Not relevant to the book at all. Hamilton spent
Kate
"A scam involving a fake Mackintosh writing cabinet tarnishes the reputation of Toronto antiques dealer Lara McClintoch -- and has one of her clients facing murder charges. To clear her name and prove her client's innocence, Lara follows the phony paperwork to the Orkney Islands off the northeast coast of Scotland. There, surrounded by surreal beauty and ancient ruins, she is pulled into a centuries-old Viking saga and a troubling quest that could end in danger -- and may just rewrite history... ...more
Kristen
Found this through GR's recommendations section. I do seem to have a tendency to like historical mystery type books. Added bonus of being interested in the Orkneys. (Thank you, Mists of Avalon for bringing them to my attention well over a decade ago) I liked this well enough. There were obvious 'plants', in so much as I knew particular characters' actions were to make you think they were the bad guys. But, in the end, I was surprised by the ending, so it gets points for that. Quick read, plus I ...more
Annalinda Ragazzo
A great read. Love Lyn Hamilton's books: a mystery novel and travelogue all in one !
Carol Best
I enjoyed this author and will seek her out again. The Orkney Islands sound like an interesting place to visit as well I got a good sense of the towns, islands and the Neolithic sites from her writing. Entertaining book.
I probably would have given this a 3.5/5 if I could give half stars. But anyways. I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was an easy and enjoyable read. I really like the author's style of writing and, this being the second book in the series that I've read, I have to say that the series is quite a pleasure for me to read. A bit of mystery, a bit of history, a beautiful land, some humour, some action, and all in all quite the enjoyable story. I look forward to reading more of her work in the future ...more
Margaret1358 Joyce
Lyn Hamilton, a Toronto native, demonstrates in this 2006 book, strong storytelling skills. She weaves a complex plot line of a modern day protagonist-a Toronto antiques dealer turned detective-through 2 concurrent tales-one ancient, the other less so-and unites all 3 lines by means of the timeless theme of the hero's quest-understood on as many levels as one would like-spiritual, psychological,or material. An intriguing page-turner!
Shonna Froebel
Liked a lot of the characters and they were believable.
Lara McClintoch, antique dealer.
Diane
While not the most artfully written (and in need of some stronger editing) it did give a great history and description of Orkney woven into a modern and mildly compelling mystery. An easy and fairly entertaining read and a fun way to prepare for a visit to Orkney. Caution: it takes 100 pages to get the plot rolling.
Sandra Garland
Interesting... I like these mysteries by Lyn Hamilton because her main character is Canadian, she travels to off-the-beaten-path places all over the world, I love antiques, and the books are well written. I found the Orkneys on Google Earth; very far north; NOT on my list of must-see places.
Syneva
A friend loaned this to me...it took me awhile to get into it, since the writing style isn't very refined and the plot didn't capture me at first. About the last third of the book, I suddenly got quite intrigued. Not a classic, but worth taking on a long plane trip!
Paul
This is a fun little detective novel with enough Viking-ish history to bait you in for more. It certainly makes me want to read the Sagas and visit the islands. Nothing really comes as a great surprise, but the story does pull you along.
Kristin
Stay away - this book may give you an aneurysm. Don't let the Viking "story line" lure you in like it did me. Only if you feel the need for mental flagellation should you ever pick this prize winning piece of garble up.
Shannon
My favourite of Hamilton's books. She made me want to go to Orkney but didn't make it too quaint or exotic, just lovely and friendly (well except for the murder).

Easy fast mysteries.
Bill
Interesting concept, mystery involves an antique dealer from Toronto, Lara McClintoch and an adventure to the Orkneys to prove she has not sold fraudelent antiques.
Jessica
As is typical for Hamilton, a bit thin on plot but enjoyable for its insights into the Orkneys and the antiques business.
Steve Clark
Typical Lyn Hamilton. I thought the Viking backstory wasn't as interesting or relevant as her other mysteries are.
Bcoghill Coghill
Oct 06, 2008 Bcoghill Coghill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Recommended to Bcoghill by: reading series
Good mystery - All is clear at the end but wondered how we would get there until the last chapter.
Love it.
Judy Mayfield
Who could resist a book with this one's opening sentence!!
Lisa Shafer
I loved the setting of this book!
Nina
It was an interesting book.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Jan Frame
Jan Frame marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • By the Time You Read This
  • Bright Hair About the Bone (Laetitia Talbot, #2)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3)
  • In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)
  • The Taken (Hazel Micallef Mystery #2)
  • A Rumor Of Bones (Lindsay Chamberlain, #1)
  • Whiteoak Heritage (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #5)
Lyn Elizabeth Hamilton was a Canadian author of archaeological mystery novels.

She worked in communications in the public service and private companies before publishing her first novel at the age of 50. She had been director of Cultural Programs Branch for the province of Ontario and director of public affairs for the Canadian Opera Company. Later, Hamilton taught mystery writing for the School fo
More about Lyn Hamilton...
The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1) The Celtic Riddle (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #4) The Maltese Goddess (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #2) The Etruscan Chimera (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #6) The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)