Start by marking “Former Rain (Rain #1)” as Want to Read:
Former Rain (Rain #1)

Former Rain (Rain #1)

4.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
When it rains it pours, just ask Elizabeth Underwood or Nina Lewis. They thought the unfaithful men in their lives caused their storms, but as they are forced on a journey of self-examination, they realize that something greater than a “do right” man is needed to heal the hurts that trouble their souls.

Kenneth Underwood and Isaac Walker want to rid themselves of the selfis
Published March 25th 2011 by Smashwords Edition (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Former Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Former Rain

Makena
Oct 23, 2015 Makena rated it really liked it
Initially, I thought the book was kind of slow and dry in the beginning. I am used to reading books that start of at a high pace when it comes to the storyline. The more I started getting into the story of the two female lead characters, I started to see why the author started off slow. I was about to strangle Elizabeth; I just can't stand the whole "angry black woman" stereotype that she portrayed in the book. Towards the end, the author made up for it when she started to bring me to the cross. ...more
Glenda Griffin
Aug 31, 2015 Glenda Griffin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Former Rain

I was enjoying the novel until the author broke a cardinal rule, she wrote something she knew nothing about, and I couldn't complete the novel. I'm a native of Chicago, Michigan Avenue and State Street both run North and South they would never cross. Next time Vanessa do your research.
Barbara Williams
Excellent

This is a real page Turner. The characters and storyline really captures your attention. Realistic story and I can't wait to see what hay
ppens to the characters in book 2.
Yolanda
Aug 05, 2015 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
My God! My God! My soul is so stirred and on fire for more. On to the second book! Superb. This book goes on my list of favorites.
Cf
Mar 28, 2015 Cf rated it it was ok
Christian fiction with an urban twist. Not my usual cup of tea but an okay change. Not sure if I will continue with the series.
Mserika
Oct 14, 2014 Mserika rated it liked it
I am Truth--3.5 Stars--This was a good book but nothing spectacular out of the way. Don't get me wrong I will continue to read to find out what happens with Issac & Kenneth....
Mrp
Oct 02, 2015 Mrp rated it really liked it
Good read keep my attention. Good series to teach one the power of praying no matter what!!!!
Lisa Moulton
Aug 27, 2015 Lisa Moulton rated it it was amazing
Very good novel Vanessa Miller. I loved the story and all the relationships as well as how God's message was in each of the ladies stories. I look forward to reading every book in The Rain series!
Victoria
Mar 26, 2015 Victoria rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!!!
Chivon
Apr 14, 2011 Chivon rated it liked it
I liked this book. Sometimes with me if a story is good, but not spectacular, I get tired of the story when it goes on too long. I would have to say that maybe the Rain series is like that for me. It's a good story that I'm interested in, but it doesn't have to be 3 whole books long. The book covers too long a time period and too many ideas and events for me to stay interested. With all that said, I still liked the book, just think it could have been done a little better.
AnnAaliyah Morton
Dec 20, 2009 AnnAaliyah Morton rated it really liked it
Two women named Elizbaeth and nina have troubled marriage. nina become prenant by Issac. Issac thinks she goes to get an abortion, but she was just walking by the building. Issac gets a call from his friend saying she was getting an abortion and where she's at.Issac finds her and begins to beat on her, he punches her in the stomach. Elizabeth goes to church to get her life together as well as nina.
Brittany
Dec 21, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it
This was the first Christian fiction book I've read and I did enjoy it although it could be a little corny sometimes. I think it did a good job of communicating God's role and His Word in each of the characters' life. Even if you can't identify with their specific story there is something you can identify with. I think I will complete the series and maybe start a new series of hers
Claudia
Jan 13, 2015 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
This book tells the truth, without God in your life you are lost. God gives you the strength that you never thought you had to carry out the daily assignments. God gave Elizabeth the strength she needed to handle Kenneth. Also God gave Nina the strength to leave Issac and put him into God hands. The book was awesome. This is a must read
Veronica Shire
Jan 04, 2014 Veronica Shire rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational to see different way 's people come to Christ.Helps you stay focused on your call.
Cheryl
Jul 02, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story about natural love as well as spiritual love. It is a great read with plenty of drama. I am disappointed in the ending. It leaves you wanting and wondering will here be more.
Marsha W
Aug 10, 2012 Marsha W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. this book brought both heaven and hell to life within its pages. Ms Miller made the realness of heaven and hell apparent to her readers... I would highly recommend this book!
Diane Rembert
Sep 22, 2013 Diane Rembert rated it it was amazing
Nina, Elizabeth, Isaac, Kenneth and a host of other characters are living their everyday lives when they experience a life altering moment that will change their lives forever.
Annie
Mar 09, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To all Christian Couples
Recommended to Annie by: Friend
I have not cried from a Christian book since I read Woman Thou Art Loose. I was actually crying while reading this book. I can not put into words how much I love this book.
Vanetra Malone
Jan 01, 2012 Vanetra Malone rated it it was amazing
This book was very good. If you are struggling with forgiveness this would be a bood read for you. I read this book in a day and a half.
Lori Key hutchinson
Jan 25, 2013 Lori Key hutchinson rated it it was amazing
very very very good book
Jalisa Conklin
It was great.
Laticia
MUST READ.
Freda Duncan
Excellent
Martha Robinson
Martha Robinson marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
SuzPepper 2.0
SuzPepper 2.0 marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Duezette
Duezette rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
B
B added it
Jan 28, 2016
JANICE
JANICE rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Dorressa Quick
Dorressa Quick rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
  • My Soul Cries Out
  • In the Midst of It All
  • Not Guilty of Love
  • For Love and Grace
Vanessa Miller of Dayton, Ohio, is a best-selling author, playwright, and motivational speaker. Her stage productions include: Get You Some Business, Don’t Turn Your Back on God, and Can’t You Hear Them Crying. Vanessa is currently in the process of turning the novels in the Rain Series into stage productions.

Vanessa has been writing since she was a young child. When she wasn’t writing poetry, sho
More about Vanessa Miller...

Rain (8 books)
  • Abundant Rain
  • Latter Rain
  • Rain Storm
  • Through the Storm
  • Rain for Christmas
  • After the Rain (Rain #7)
  • Rain in the Promised Land (Rain Series, #8)

“all have sinned. And we are all saved by grace. It is a gift from God, lest any one of us should boast and take credit for His work. God lets no man instruct Him on who to bestow His grace upon. He is sovereign. “I’m ready to meet Jesus when He returns.” 0 likes
“But Elizabeth wasn’t having that. Mama Rosa couldn’t stand her from day one - and didn’t make any bones about that fact. So if she thought Elizabeth was going to lose square footage over her hunger pangs, she had another thought coming. Elizabeth fussed and cussed, but Kenneth still wouldn’t listen. One day as they were eating breakfast, she told Kenneth that she was going back to work unless he bought her the house she wanted. That did the trick. Kenneth didn’t want his kids raised by a babysitter. So Elizabeth won, and that wicked witch he called Mama, lost.” 0 likes