Start by marking “The Friendly Persuasion” as Want to Read:
The Friendly Persuasion

The Friendly Persuasion

The classic american story of the life of the Birdwells, a Quaker family living in Indiana at the time of the Civil War. The source of the famous William Wyler film starring Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire, and Anthony Perkins.
Published June 28th 1991 by Mariner Books (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Friendly Persuasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friendly Persuasion

Suzanne
“No, it wasn’t Eliza’s preaching nor any outward lack the eye could see that troubled Jess. It was music. Jess pined for music, though it would hard to say how he’d come by any such longing. To the Quakers music was a popish dido, a sop to the senses, a hurdle waiting to trip man in his upward struggle. They kept it out of their Meeting Houses and out of their homes, too.”

Jessamyn West wrote this novel about an Indiana Quaker family almost 75 years ago. Beginning in the 1860′s, we follow this
Curtiss
May 03, 2012 Curtiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, fiction
This is the thoroughly charming story of a Quaker family in rural Indiana during the mid-19th Century. The husband, Jeff Birdwell has a weakness for music which is considered extravagant and self-indulgent by the Society of Friends and becomes a bit of a bone-of-contention between he and his wife, Eliza, who happens to be a minister of their church.

Jeff also has a passion for a fast-trotting horse, and the fact that his Big Red looks fast tempts him into taking on the Methodist Minister's trotte
Mary
I wish the cover of the copy I read had looked like this, instead of a lame picture from the movie they made. Anyway, I don't give out five stars very easily anymore, but Jessamyn West fully earned it with this one. You know how some authors have that knack of beautifully describing something perfectly normal or banal in a way that makes you completely identify with their words and view that thing in a new light? She does that, time and again. Her humor is impeccable, too. The story is about a Q ...more
Kathleen
I loved this book! It was one that I recall bits of, long ago when my older sister was reading it and wanted to share what she'd enjoyed, but I didn't read it for myself until I was on vacation recently, and wanted something light but enlightening. It may seem a bit old fashioned in today's society, but one of the reasons I read it was to get a glimpse of 19th century Quaker farming family, after finding out that I had a little Quaker stock in my ancestry. The characters, based on the Jessamyn W ...more
Jennifer Griffith
This book is loveliness itself. It's surely Jessamyn West's masterpiece. The Quaker family faces real world challenges and meets them with humor and courage, everything from whether or not to have a piano in their Quaker home to the danger of harboring refugees from the South in the Civil War to allowing one of their sons to leave to fight for the North.

It's at once touching and light-hearted. I love the people in The Friendly Persuasion and would like to meet them and have them give me a littl
Michael
The story of a Quaker family in India in the days prior to the Civil War.
The main characters are Indiana Quaker Jess Birdwell, his wife, Eliza and their children, Labe, Josh and Mattie, an 1850 junior miss.
It is interesting to hear the men discuss politics and politicians such as Stephen A. Douglas.
The story moves slowly as if we were witnessing farm life and the growth of crops and getting them ready of market. There is a scene I enjoyed where Jess and his wife take a neighbor to court over a g
Douglas  Donaldson
It is my sincere hope that someday soon the Library of America will produce a volume of the Collected Works of Jessamymn West. Until then, readers will have to make do with paperback editions or funky used ones. It would be a shame to let her portrayals of the American spirit disappear from view. This book, along with the hard-to-find "Except For Me and Thee," offers up her paean for her own Quaker ancestory in a series of short stories that chronicle the Jess Birdwell family. Jess, an Indiana f ...more
Cindy Rinaman
Mar 08, 2016 Cindy Rinaman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reviews
A surprising source recommended this as having really interesting prose styling. I think it was someone like Joan Didion . . . And she was right--beautifully written, with very interesting ways to convey things. The first chapter was off-putting to me, though after having read the rest I might be able to go back and enjoy it. But it felt too hokey. I loved the way West traces many seasons of a life (Jess's particularly) with a change of focus for each chapter, which is really a stand-alone story ...more
Jul 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing collection of stories about the Birdwells, a family of Quakers during the Civil War. The stories were written during WWII, and they start out light-hearted and funny, but get progressively sadder. What I liked best was that West wrote the different stories from the points-of-view of different family members. And whether she was writing from the father's POV or the teenage daughter's, she did it so well!
Also, this is one of those rare occasions where the movie is just as good a
Heather Cawte
Feb 19, 2009 Heather Cawte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I watched the film of the same name, never having encountered Jessamyn West before. She writes with enormous warmth and human insight, and with an ever-present sense of humour. These stories are so vivid and real, and I was sorry to reach the end of the book - and then delighted when I realised there was another volume of stories about the same family!
Betsy
Jun 12, 2014 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just moved to southern Indiana, I thought I would give this book a try. Meh. Started out with some great stories, then it dragged. In one of the final chapters, I was so confused, I couldn't tell what was happening or who "Aunt Jetty" was. Good peek into quaker life in the mid to late 1800's, I thought.
Esther
Feb 21, 2008 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light and funny story about family life. The main characters are based on the author's family growing up in the early 1900's as Quakers.
April Bumgardner
This is a beautiful collection of short stories or vignettes, poignantly written, with many surprisingly thought provoking scenes. I only rated it with three stars, however, because of its lack of cohesiveness. The first half of the book is much more compelling than the last half, with perhaps the exception of the final chapter. The Friendly Persuasion is classified as a novel, but does not meet the criteria.

As a Hoosier resident for the past 13 years, I truly enjoyed the references to Clifty F
Abby
“Knowledge of what you love somehow comes to you; you don’t have to read nor analyze nor study. If you love a thing enough, knowledge of it seeps into you, with particulars more real than any chart can furnish.”

Terribly beautiful and sweet without ever dipping into sanctimony or saccharine stereotypes. Every chapter, or story, was so enchanting and gorgeously written. I was so startled by the excellence of West's style, especially because I have never really heard others praise it before, and I
Susie
Oct 18, 2016 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read this for our church club, partly in honor of Indiana's Bicentennial. I was surprised that it had been several years since anyone had rated this in Goodreads.

It takes a bit of patience to read this, because the delicate prose requires a bit more reflection than much of today's straight-forward, "dumbed down" reading. There were times I had to look up words, re-read, re-read even a few paragraphs because it seemed I had missed something....

I have not seen the movie, but do plan to watch it
Emma Jane
Jul 28, 2015 Emma Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-cry
I don't believe I've ever read a book quite like this before. It was funny, it was fresh, it was sweet, but it was very strange. On one hand, it puzzled me. On the other, it struck a chord deep inside me and I absolutely loved it. I still don't know what to think.

The Friendly Persuasion is the story of the Birdwell family; Jess, his wife Eliza, and their six children. It was much different than I expected; I thought it would be a lot about the Civil War, but it turned out that was only a tiny p
Jenny
Oct 28, 2008 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My boyfriend's father lent me this book because it had a woman Quaker preacher in it. He thought I'd be interested in it, since I am trying to be a Presbyterian pastor.

I lost the book with about 10 pages left to read for over a month...so details aren't quite clear anymore. Initially, I thought the book could not be improved upon in the last 10 pages, but they were actually quite sweet and I do think that the final paragraph or two is perhaps the key to understanding the book.

Overall, however,
Ngdecker
May 11, 2014 Ngdecker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
I had read this book years ago, but recently we saw the movie on Netflix. We enjoyed it so much that I told my daughter to get it. They loved it also, and she decided to read the book. She persuaded me to reread the book as she was enjoying it so much. She said reading it was like a gift.

I was so glad she had suggested this. I was amazed at the writing and beautiful descriptions. It is a book to be savored and read word by word. It is very different than most of the books written today. Rather
Carol
Dec 21, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies, book-club
I really like the movie. And I really like the book. But they are not the same. The movie has a lot of material that didn't come from the book. And the book has a lot of material that didn't make it into the movie. And some of the stories taken from the book got shifted a bit on their way into the movie script.

The cover calls the book a novel. I have to disagree. It is a collection of short stories, previously published over several years in various magazines. (I'm sad that magazines don't publi
Debbie
Sep 30, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The review from The Washington Post expresses my feelings about this book. "West writes gracefully, occasionally poetically, in a voice both innocent and brave." While reading this book I had to stop often and read sentences out loud to my husband either for the sheer beauty of the words or for the subtle humor. One example is her description of old Lafe Millspaugh.

She writes, "He was an oddity in a neighborhood that had time and space for oddness, appreciated its varieties and did nothing to d
Shawn Thrasher
I have really mixed feelings about this book. For starters, it's not really a novel, it's a collection of short stories, published in various magazines over a period of years, loosely arranged chronologically. Some of the stories are delightfully sweet, painful, and sad - about life and death, family, love, art, the meaning of life, God, neighbors. But there is something editorially lazy about the book regarding the characters over the arc of the stories. While Jess and Eliza remain the same, th ...more
Jane Maree
I can't say that I was particularly engrossed in this book but that's not to say that I didn't like it heaps. The writing was well done and the way the stories flowed nicely from beginning to end kept me reading.

The two Birdwell boys were probably my favourite characters the few times they came into the stories. Reading about them made me think of Tom Sawyer and all the larks he had. Jess too was a real and 3-dimensional character, with great personality. I had a laugh or two over them all.

It's
Pam Jessen
I just recently read the companion book, Except for Me and Thee, and I liked it enough to go back and read the book that introduced these characters, Jess and Eliza Birdwell.

I had a few questions about some of the items in "sequel" that seemed like unfinished thoughts, so I hoped this first book would have answered those items (therefore, in the sequel, things would have made more sense, because it would have been assumed readers knew what happened and the sequel just had additional details to
Jayne Bowers
Jan 19, 2015 Jayne Bowers rated it really liked it
Although Jess and Eliza Birdwell appear to be just another Quaker couple, their story is both universal and unique. The book is actually a compilation of stories about the Birdwell's life as they raise their children, share experiences, and grow old together.

There are rich stories that speak of family, home, coming of age, relationships, new beginnings, and themes too many to mention. There's the Illumination with a houseful of company, the carriage race on the way to church, the death of a youn
Jenny
Apr 11, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friendly Persuasion is one of the sweetest books I have ever read. It is sweet, not saccharin, but heartfelt. It tells stories of the Quaker family of Jess Birdwell, and gives you a glimpse into the lives of Quakers from the late nineteenth century. It also ends with one of my favorite verses of scripture of all time from John 14: "Let not your hearts be troubled...in my Father's house are many mansions...I go to prepare a place for you." I wish it had continued with the part I like best: "if it ...more
Alyson
I wish I could say I thought this book was more than "ok." In truth, I keep falling asleep as I read it. I wish that I didn't have to be so entertained by what I read and could enjoy a slower prose. The smaller stories in this book were for the most part entertaining and I even laughed out loud at times, especially the chapter on horse racing! That said, I struggled to get through this book.

As we discussed at book club, we did learn more about the Quakers by reading it. My great grandmother, wh
Maria
Sep 22, 2010 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Set in Jennings County, Indiana this gentle book follows the life of a Quaker family in the late nineteenth century through a series of stories. Each chapter is a glimpse into a slower life style, filled with the wonder and awe of the natural world.

Why I picked this up: We are going to use this book for our Community Read next year. I needed to read it in order to get ideas for programs and discussions.

Why I finished it: This is a very different glimpse of the community that I work in. Quiet and
Dale Harcombe
Mar 11, 2012 Dale Harcombe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite book. The stories concern a Quaker family living in days around the civil war in Indiana. Gentle humour shines through as well as the love they have for each other and the way their faith impacts on their lives. I bought this after seeing the film and then reading this book from the library. I had to own it. It is one of a selected few novels I re-read and it never fails to raise a smile and draw me in, even when I already know what is coming. This is a delight and gives gre ...more
Judith
I found this book at a second hand store, and it was cheap and looked like I might one day want to read it, so on a whim I bought it. I'd never heard of it before. A few days ago it felt like the kind of thing I might be in the mood for, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Aside from the fact that it had me laughing out loud several times, it's also a moving book in a gentle way, and I like the format of short stories, snap-shots, really, rather than a novel. It somehow seem ...more
Ada
Aug 08, 2011 Ada rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the movie a lot, so thought I would truly delight in reading about it--especially since we had just visited the Civil War area sites. However, it was a little bit disappointing to me. The story was supposedly covering the family of Quakers during the Civil War time period; but the book only had a chapter about that situation. It was more about the thoughts and feelings of Jess who is married to a Quaker preacher. Perhaps the writing style was a little foreign to me and I couldn't quit ...more
  • The Peaceable Kingdom
  • Edge of Honor
  • Yankee Stranger (Williamsburg, #2)
  • Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity
  • Cimarron
  • Meet Me in St. Louis
  • Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin
  • The Fields
  • Mama's Bank Account (Harvest/HBJ Book)
  • All This, and Heaven Too
  • Bedelia
  • The Journal of George Fox
  • Mrs. Miniver
Mary Jessamyn West was an American Quaker (originally from Indiana) who wrote numerous stories and novels, notably The Friendly Persuasion (1945).
More about Jessamyn West...