Start by marking “Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce #14)” as Want to Read:
Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce #14)

Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce #14)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,435 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
L. E. Modesitt, Jr. begins a new Recluce story in Natural Ordermage, the first of two volumes set mostly on the continent of Hamor, far across the sea from Recluce.

Rahl, a young apprentice scrivener on the island of Recluce, likes life to work out in his favor. And he has a bad attitude, too. To make sure things go his way, he uses a small amount of order magic in opportun
Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Published April 29th 2008 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Natural Ordermage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Ordermage

Liviu
Dec 12, 2014 Liviu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another first volume duology in the Recluce universe, taking place mostly in a unified Hamor ~1500 in the chronology (the first Cyador books with Lorn start the chronology, while the Lerial books take place in Hamor in ~425); same structure as usual, this time following Rahl (slightly unfortunate name as fantasy names go though and one that annoyed me intermittently) who is a natural (doesn't respond well to learning magic, needs to do it intuitively on his own) ordermage from Recluce and since ...more
Bryan Brown
Jun 08, 2015 Bryan Brown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Reading the series in internal chronological order this book is set some 300 years after the events of the last sorta-trilogy of books. We follow a young black mage named Rahl from the island of recluse. This introduces a new kind of mage a "natural" mage. This means one who can do order/chaos skills without having to learn them, he just does.

With his enhanced abilities Rahl is highly arrogant and unwilling to let any of the rules of his society apply to him. He uses his order skills sneakily t
Yune
Oct 25, 2011 Yune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I picked this up just when it fit the mood I needed: in Modesitt's trademark style, it's full of reassuring mundane detail -- but when I say mundane, I don't mean boring. It's all part of the natural rhythm of the characters' lives, from what they eat to how much they have to practice their fighting skills, or even their magical ones. I appreciate that about Modesitt's heroes, as they may have amazing talents, but they have to work to refine them, and it's actually enjoyable to watch this progre ...more
Katy M
Aug 17, 2014 Katy M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one highlights choices in life and their consequences.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
L. E. Modesitt, Jr. writes epic fantasy with political commentary overtones. His world building is impeccable, taking the familiar and giving it a unique twist.
His protagonists are usually underdogs who don't fit into the mold cast for them by others in some way, chronicling their struggles to understand themselves and how to find their place in the world around them.
In some reviews I've read people ha
Abbey E
Jan 19, 2015 Abbey E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general, fantasy
An interesting look into Hamorian culture and politics (and one which made me as torn between liking and hating Hamor as I had been sure in hating it beforehand), there were still a few things that irked me about this book. The main thing was the main character, Rahl. He is perhaps the only main character of a Recluce book to date that I have instinctively disliked upon meeting.

Still, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It certainly shows how Modesitt has grown in the development of his characte
Jeremy Preacher
Dec 26, 2009 Jeremy Preacher rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Continuing with my at-random rereading of the Recluse books, Natural Ordermage is an interesting counterpoint to The Magic of Recluse. There are definite similarities - both feature somewhat self-obsessed young men who can't grasp the nature and responsibilities of their power, and get sent into exile to grow as people. But as novels, they're vastly different.

Natural Ordermage is a mature examination of some of the assumptions that underly the original social setup, using a new time period to ex
T.I.M. James
I don't know what it is about the L E Modesitt Recluce books, whether it is just me and a guilty pleasure or whether the books are as enjoyable as I find them.

It is more than true to say that the ever expanding Recluce saga is becoming longer all the time now up to 16 books, but I still find them more readable and enjoyable than a lot of other books by other authors, and to be fair, than other books written by Modesitt himself.

Thematically they may be similar - young untried magician with potent
Jeremy
Jul 22, 2008 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natural Ordermage is one of the newer books from Modesitt, and I had fun with it. What I like about his books are their wholesome feel. They're almost always about a person with skills in a certain profession, and although the adventures of that person are somewhat fantastical, you learn about something simple, like in this case the copying of books and records, throughout the book. There's a logic to all the magic and supernatural content of his books, and it fits in very good with the natural ...more
Henry
Feb 05, 2008 Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L.E. Modesett's Saga of Recluse series has its strengths and weaknesses. His protagonists tend to have a lot of similarities -- they are poor folks who work hard but born with great magical talents. They leave home and establish themselves in a trade such as a scrivner, blacksmith, or some other endeavor where hard work is well-appreciated. And then, the protagonist is brought into the dominant organization that controls magic in whatever area they happen to be in. There is a wise old man who gu ...more
Peter
Jul 16, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another of the Recluce series, this time based initially in Recluce and then Hamor. Rahl is an apprentice scrivener who belittles his own order abilities, and as a result finds himself in deeper and deeper trouble, eventually exiled to Hamor. There he finds a mentor in Taryl, mage and ex-Triad.

The story uses familiar themes from other Recluce books - Rahl is another scrivener, is trained in arms as a Recluce exile, and sees duty as a city guard similar to the White Order stories. He's a differen
David
May 08, 2008 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like Modesitt's world-building. I usually like the fact that his main characters usually spend a great deal of time thinking and talking about food and about building things (one gathers woodworking is his hobby). I tolerate the moralizing. And I tolerate the predictability of his characters and plots -- you'd think "main character goes through an ethical quandary, annihilates a civilization, and is made immortal so he's forced to live with the guilt forever" would be a bit of a surprise. But ...more
Jessica
Jul 01, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Saga of Recluse fans
Well, at least the love interest was not another strong-willed, uninterested redhead or I might have stopped reading the book!

The plot was very typical for this series: stubborn guy discovers he has wondrous abilities but is misunderstood/exiled/ostracized and must find a new life/purpose.

I really did not like the main character, Rahl. Really, really did not like him. He whines and blames others and then wonders why everyone is picking on him. It does not make for a compassionate reader, I'll t
Jay Hendricks
Nov 24, 2007 Jay Hendricks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy
A new book in the saga of Recluse, this book feels like it could easily end up turning into another trilogy like some of the other books Modesitt has done. This book follows a fellow going by the name of Rahl, who unlike many of the other ordermages written about in Recluse, can't be trained or taught by the normal methods. Instead he has to find his way through "feelings" since all about him and his abilities comes naturally to him.

Still the book is good and I really do hope there are more wit
Donna
A rather large volume thin on plot and big on world building. Not too bad, except that the protagonist is an entitled whiner. Eh- you get used to him.
Praveen Mathew
Feb 26, 2015 Praveen Mathew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going by his usual plots, this something bit different. We get to see more in depth study of Order and its analysis in here.

My favourite of the series.
Iain Kaslar
Mar 01, 2015 Iain Kaslar rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-e-modesitt-jr
Exactly the same basic formula as every other one of his recluse saga but still a great read none the less. This is the first time he has had any main character in modern Hamor
Brett Bydairk
Aug 05, 2008 Brett Bydairk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A more obvious than usual look at one of Modesitt's themes: actions have consequences, and even if the action is moral, is the consequence moral? Can there be moral consequences for immoral actions?
A natural ordermage, Rahl, is forcibly made aware of this by being sent to Nylan to be trained, but his powers grow along with the troubles he gets into. Sent into exile to Hamor as a clerk, he eventually becomes a mage-guard for he emperor, learning some things about himself, politice and power along
Tony
Apr 28, 2011 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time I have read it, so I do like it. I really like the mentor character of Taryl. My one complaint is that, like all Modesitt books, belief in a divine being is frowned upon. What I mean is that most of his main characters and heroes seem to be, at best, agnostic, and seem to think little of those who follow some religion. If it was not so blatant and was not pretty much every main character I have read so far, I would not mind so much, but ...
James
Jan 18, 2014 James rated it really liked it
Such good relief after reading The Seven Realms series!

Thank you, yet again L.E. Modesitt Jr.!
Katherine
Jan 02, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it
Of all the characters in the Recluse world, Rahl is perhaps the one I find the most human. He has more faults and flaws than the others seem to; especially his teenaged angst belief that the world owes him something. But whining aside, I do prefer this book to the second with Rahl. It shows much more development and seems to have a better flow.
Gary O'Brien
Mar 16, 2016 Gary O'Brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Finished it a few weeks ago. Good like all the rest. Can't be sure without looking back in the other ones but some of the natural laws of order/chaos seem to have changed just a little bit from the early books of this series.

Outstanding book all the same. I am now reading Mage-Guard of Hamor, which is the continuation of this one.
Paul
Jun 04, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
Natural Ordermage was very similar in theme to the rest of the Recluce series which is to stop blaming others for your circumstances and take responsibility for your own future. The ending was a bit unsatisfying in that Rahl didn't really get sufficient closure against those that had wronged him. However, there is a sequel.
Greyor
Oct 14, 2013 Greyor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed returning to the world of Recluce. I don't need to own the books anymore, but I'm looking forward to finishing the series at least. An interesting look at the continent of Hamor, explored in detail.
Leone
Apr 12, 2010 Leone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this book as I do all the Recluse books. It did start slow. On its own I found it a little disappointing, but when combined with the sequel it is another great story.
Brian Hagedorn
A typical Recluse novel. As formulaic as they often can be, this one is still interesting due in part by the main character and his angst against others for his predicaments.
Jon
Apr 13, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good addition to the Saga of Recluce. Another page turner. Modesitt has a way of sucking me into his world and the main character(s).
Karl
Aug 31, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Saga of Recluce is one of my favorite fantasy series. And this is a fine entry. The first book of a two book series. Highly recommended.
George
Aug 18, 2010 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's typical Modesiit. The same story told over & over. And I love it! I can't really get enough of the Recluce stories.
Craig
Jul 25, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read, 7/15.
Randolph
Oct 22, 2008 Randolph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Mr Modesitt. Having recently reread all of the Recluse Series with the exception of the Sequel to Natural Ordermage (I need to buy it) I am amazed at the depth and thought that has gone into creating this world. Each new book expands it just a little bit more. Till this point Hamor has had very little written about it even when they have sent an armada of ships after Recluse, several times. Recluse is as black as it gets. Candar is white or at least mostly. Hamor seem to be ...more
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • The Fortress of Glass
  • The Ninth Talisman (The Annals of the Chosen, #2)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight, #2)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • Traitors' Gate (Crossroads, #3)
  • The Loneliest Magician
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)