Start by marking “Race: A Theological Account” as Want to Read:

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In Race: A Theological Account, J. Kameron Carter meditates on the multiple legacies implicated in the production of a racialized world and that still mark how we function in it and think about ourselves. These are the legacies of colonialism and empire, political theories of the state, anthropological theories of the human, and philosophy itself, from the eighteenth-centu...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race

Laurie
Mar 21, 2012 Laurie added it
Shelves: favorites
Ohmystars. My dear theology professor wrote this book. I think it's just been published. He's a gem and if anyone is reading this, which I doubt they are, you should go buy a copy and read it! He is brilliant! And he loves Jesus....
Chris
If the theological academy as we have known it is under deadly threat, Kameron Carter's Race is an argument for its survival. Only those historically unusual conditions could have produced this tremendous work. Its writing and reading requires training in multiple, specific humanistic disciplines: I might list history, philosophy, critical theory, and the study of religion, in addition to systematic and historical theology. Apart from the academy, this book would be incomprehensible and probably...more
Eric
While I will not hazard a real review of this excellent book I will say that it has been a long time since a book kicked my intellectual butt. This was a very sophisticated, philosophical, and urgent unmasking of the sources of the concept of "whiteness"in western civilization. This is a theological account of race because Carter grounds the invention of race in christian suppersessionism, that is the assumption of large swaths of christianity that the church has replaced Israel in God's economy...more
Dwight Davis
It's no surprise that this book has become a landmark book in black theology in just 5 years. Carter's book is a brilliant, multi-discplinary approach to the problem of racism. Carter diagnoses racism as stemming from modernism's tendency to separate the Jewish person of Jesus from the deity of Christ rather than holding them together. Carter's project is, primarily, a Christological one, a reclaiming of the flesh of Christ as a way to move beyond the problem of white theology and theological ab...more
Scott
If you follow my blog, I was very captivated with this book when I began it. It's overall thesis was startlingly new to me: the discourse of white supremacy had arisen from modern Christian theology as that theology during the Enlightenment distanced itself from the actual Jewishness of Jesus (distanced from particularity in the search for the universal).

This distancing first gave rise to anti-Semitism, and Carter engages in a very devastating critique of Immanuel Kant on this point. Christianit...more
Ben Sanders iii
Great book. Points towards exciting and important new ways for theologians to think about the problem of race as a THEOLOGICAL problem. Carter argues a theological account of race and the resultant racism has its roots in Christian supersessionism - or Christianity severing itself from its Jewish roots.

The books density at different points is a credit to Carter's creativity but isn't always easily accessible to non-academics and/or specialists of certain areas.

The outstanding value of the book i...more
C. Christopher
If we are to remain faithful to the way of Christ – and as such, become traitors to white, Western modernity – we cannot do otherwise. May we, in this Advent season, hear Carter’s message and may we die to our conformity to Western theology and be born anew into the transformative way of Jesus, who was born of Jewish lineage into Bethlehem’s stable, raised in the Jewish culture of his day, died on a cross and was resurrected by the grace and power of God.

Read my full review on THE ENGLEWOOD REVI...more
Drick
Wayne Larson
Feb 05, 2011 Wayne Larson marked it as to-read
After picking this up, I was sort of turned off by what appeared to be an argument centered in anti-supersessionism. Not sure what to think about that and how effective it will be. Anyway, I need to pick it back up again and give it a fair reading.
Chris Hall
Got this out of the library and to be honest didn't manage to finish it in time. Couldn't extend as the library had sourced it from a university library and no opprtunity to extend.
Kris
Wow! Simply amazing. Dense, but very rewarding.
Bette
Bette marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Andrew Mcgibbon
Andrew Mcgibbon marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Jacinta Essien
Jacinta Essien marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Wayne Stapleton
Wayne Stapleton marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
rebecca
rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
John Lussier
John Lussier marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
May 15, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Tolivar Wills
Tolivar Wills marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014