Start by marking “Abolition Democracy: Beyond Prisons, Torture, and Empire” as Want to Read:
Abolition Democracy: Beyond Prisons, Torture, and Empire

Abolition Democracy: Beyond Prisons, Torture, and Empire

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Revelations about U.S policies and practices of torture and abuse have captured headlines ever since the breaking of the Abu Ghraib prison story in April 2004. Since then, a debate has raged regarding what is and what is not acceptable behavior for the world’s leading democracy. It is within this context that Angela Davis, one of America’s most remarkable political figures ...more
Published October 4th 2005 by Seven Stories Press (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Abolition Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abolition Democracy

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouAbolition Democracy by Angela Y. Daviskilling rage by bell hooksThe Wedding by Dorothy WestThe Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Books with Black Female Authors
2nd out of 95 books — 11 voters
Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Y. DavisTerrorism and War by Howard ZinnGirl Boy Girl by Savannah KnoopRose by Inga MuscioAs the World Burns by Derrick Jensen
Best of Seven Stories Press
10th out of 23 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Strode
This small text is densely packed with Davis' insight into the history of social justice organization and mobilization, the injustice of the prison system, and the interweaving of that system with capitalism to create an exportable prison economy with both a profit and social repression incentive. It reads quickly as a conversation develops between Mendieta and Davis that displays his intense engagement with the subject of his interview.

There is a gem of an answer at the end of the interview whi
this book is great if you've never read anything about prison abolition, the connection between US Foreign policy and the US prison system, or anything by angela davis. if you've read any of those things, it's like a nice pat on the back, reminding you that the things you believe in are real and important. i actually think the interviewer could have done a better job; or the questions could have been asked in a different way to gather better responses from davis, who is genius in a way that isn' ...more
Je trouve qu'Angela Davis est une figure fascinante. Mais c'est probablement pas ce livre-ci que j'aurais dû lire.

Ce à quoi on a droit ici, ce sont quatre entretiens (je crois? ma copie est déjà de retour à la bibliothèque) où Davis répond à toute une panoplie de questions qui couvrent, parfois un peu superficiellement, son parcours militant, sa critique du système carcéral américain, le racisme & l'exclusion sociale, l'utilisation de la torture à Guantanamo & à Abou Ghraïb, les contradi
Matthew Gilboy
Thus book is a series of interviews and provides a way of understanding how to think through the interrelated structures of the prison and military industrial complexes. Ms. Davis' responses he'll to expose the many ways in which critical thought about society has been undermined by contemporary manner of speaking about issues. She also provides an insightful analysis into the limitations of organizing around identity and instead offers places/points of struggle as better grounds for organizing ...more
I definitely agree that in order to truly understand what Davis means by "Abolition Democracy," this book is not enough and I recommend reading Are Prisons Obsolete? first. The interviewer's questions could have been better and the book itself could of been structured more efficiently. It almost seems like she just put this together and did not think about it much. Still, I enjoyed Davis as I always do.
Sivananthi T
This is an interesting read if you are keen on the concept of substantive equality among the races, and substantive democracy which would encompass rights beyond the norms such as voting etc.
This provides a good critique of the prison industrial complex as the offspring of the military industrial complex.
Thank you, Angela Davis.
Like many of the other reviews stated, this book was brief, obviously, but it was definitely packed full of information and opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at the mass incarceration of minorities aka the Prison Industrial Complex, and it made me want to check out a lot more of her work and look into many of the issues she raised more fully. I'd definitely recommend it as an introductory book to kind of whet your appetite for the topic and the author.
I keep picking up Angela Davis books to try and get information on her communist ideas and on the ideas of the Black Panthers. and all I keep finding is her writing about prisons?

It seems like prisons are all she ever talks about, her autobiography for instance starts off with her getting thrown in prison, and continues through her legal processes.

This was an ok interview, but I wish she would talk about things besides prisons?
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
A wonderful read regarding abolition democracy, feminism, the prison industrial complex and the violence of the state. Davis does a great job of looking critically at these political, social, and cultural constructs and their intersections and overlaps. A quick and incisive read.
Some of her theories were pretty cool, but it has a difficult time standing on its own. I think "Are Prisons Obsolete?" needs to be read before this. And you probably should know some of the author's background if you're a generation behind (such as myself). It helps.
I was a little disappointed in this book. Lots of good ideas, but it was too superficial. It is a collection of interviews, and Davis' insights into the prison industrial complex aren't developed much. I recommend "Are Prisons Obsolete?" instead.
In four interviews, Angela Davis provides an interesting framework to examine the prison-industrial complex. She challenges prison abolitionists to re-frame arguments against the prison system, such as defining cavity searches as sexual assault.
This book should be required reading for anyone who can read and think. I'm just excited that I read a whole book. I'd like to thank her, the interviewer, and everyone else who has already read it. :)
Angela Davis is coming to Denver next week, so I thought I'd read up on her. Too bad I didn't finish the book. Guess I'll just have to have dinner with her on Friday instead! ;)
Small but intensely dense information about prison system, racism and torture. Definitely worth a second read to understand concepts further
Took me a while to get used to the Question/Answer format but the brilliance of Angela Davis makes up for the awkward and learn.
this book was really good! she's right on point that the death penalty and prisons are teh legacies of slavery.
Small concise book, interview style. totally readable and informative.
Mar 27, 2009 Jeff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
These are interviews so there isn't much analysis. It's a good, quick read.
Aug 25, 2009 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
"Equality might be considered to be the equal right to refuse and resist."
Michael Greer
One of the most intelligent minds i have ever encountered.
Re-reading this book
timely and important.
Abby marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Smnssvbd marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Patricia Matthews
Patricia Matthews marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Global Lockdown: Race, Gender, and the Prison-Industrial Complex
  • Golden Gulag: Prisons, Surplus, Crisis, and Opposition in Globalizing California
  • Lockdown America: Police and Prisons in the Age of Crisis
  • Punishment and Inequality in America
  • Our Enemies in Blue: Police and Power in America
  • Patriarchy and Accumulation on a World Scale: Women in the International Division of Labour
  • Black, Brown, Yellow, and Left: Radical Activism in Los Angeles
  • Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
  • Chicana Feminist Thought: The Basic Historical Writings
  • Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition
  • The House That Race Built: Original Essays by Toni Morrison, Angela Y. Davis, Cornel West, and Others on Black Americans and Politics in America Today
Angela Yvonne Davis is an American political activist, scholar, and author. She emerged as a nationally prominent activist and radical in the 1960s, as a leader of the Communist Party USA, and had close relations with the Black Panther Party through her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement despite never being an official member of the party. Prisoner rights have been among her continuing inter ...more
More about Angela Y. Davis...