Start by marking “Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture” as Want to Read:
Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture

Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture

2.75 of 5 stars 2.75  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Our Review

In the current debate over the role of guns in American life, there is one historical notion in particular that invigorates those who believe that an America stocked to the rafters with privately held firearms is the best and truest America.

I refer to the truism that our national identity has always been inextricably tied to our unparalleled intimacy with guns,

Published September 5th 2000 by Knopf (first published January 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Arming America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arming America

If ever there were a case for book burning.

A friend handed me this book, thinking it would end one of our interminable arguments. The story broke a few days later. The "research" was entirely fabricated. Bellesiles drummed out of his university after being exposed.

It is a fraud from the first word. Even those sympathetic with the motive should be outraged at being so manipulated.
It is most unfortunate that Bellesiles compromised his scholarly integrity by fudging one stream of data (weapons passed along through probate in the eighteenth century). This opened the door to scrutiny of his research data by other scholars and ultimately the loss of his professorship and standing as a historian. That is as it should be.

But overall, this book contains an extraordinary bit of research and writing on the history of this country's obsession with guns. While the data on probate re
Danica Midlil
Anyone interested in reading this book should first read this article:

The author lied all the way through the book and when the truth came out, the Bancroft Award was rescinded and he had to leave his job at Emory in shame.

This situtation really made me think about how I choose books to read. I have never before researched the validity of a book before reading it more than reading friend's reviews on Good Reads or something similar. As a consumer of information,
Robert Hund
I could not get started with this book. Random reading failed to uncover anything interesting. However, I deduced the author, his employer (Emory University, Atlanta) and publisher are what my late friend, Jack Bruny, would sarcastically describe as part of a "pinko, red conspiracy" to discredit the National Rifel Association.

I don't take sides on this topic. I also don't want to wast my time reading political propaganda. I did spend several pleasant minutes remembering Jack, his dedication to
Oct 12, 2013 Jim marked it as do-not-read
Do not read. Apparently, Michael Bellesiles lost his Bancroft Prize (and his position at Emory Univ.) for academic dishonesty when it was proven that he invented the "research data".
Jul 29, 2012 Kerri added it
I can't give this a rating, due to the controversy surrounding its veracity. I can say that it asked interesting and important questions, and its a shame the answers were thrown into disrepute. I hope that someone, some day, applies more stringent methods to asking these same important questions. Columbine. Aurora. Multiple other such events. Something's very wrong, and its not merely this author's methods.
So it's a fraud eh? Is that why it's on the Banned Book list?

This is a big book. I read like 100 pages because it is not a topic that interests me and this book did not make me interested in it.
♡ Kristina
Aug 27, 2013 ♡ Kristina marked it as to-read
Banned Books 2004
Reasons: inaccurate, political viewpoint

Banned Books 2003
Reason: inaccuracy
Mason Sykes
It disproves the NRA gun-filled-violent-west-we've-always-been-barbarians version of history to an astonishing degree. I like it!
Feb 21, 2010 Alex added it
Arming America : The Origins of a National Gun Culture by Michael Bellesiles (2000)
Edward Sullivan
The myth of America's gun culture exposed in this exceptionally scholarly work.
Brian Nicholson
Brian Nicholson marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Jodi Graham
Jodi Graham marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Brady marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Danielle Lamb
Danielle Lamb marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Eoin marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Buffalo Hump
Buffalo Hump marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Nóra Goreczky
Nóra Goreczky marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Maggie Hires
Maggie Hires marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Mark added it
May 26, 2015
Maddie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
PJ Brackett
PJ Brackett marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
1877: America's Year of Living Violently Revolutionary Outlaws: Ethan Allen and the Struggle for Independence on the Early American Frontier A People's History of the U.S. Military 1877 Documenting American Violence