Start by marking “Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)

Second Sunrise (Lee Nez #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Sixty years ago New Mexico patrolman Lee Nez and his partner foiled the hijacking of an American military convoy transporting nuclear material. At the end of the firefight, all of the soldiers and Lee's partner were dead-and Lee's life was forever transformed.

Now a nightwalker, the Navajo equivalent of a vampire, Lee lives with one foot in the human world and one in a wor...more
Published November 9th 2002 by Forge Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sunrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sunrise

Barbara ★
From the description, I assumed this was a police procedural but it's not. Officer Lee Nez is a vampire searching for the evil German vampire who made him during WWII. A bunch of Navajo skinwalkers are hunting Lee as vampires are their natural enemy. FBI agent Diane Lopez is investigating one occurrence where Lee was attacked by wolves (skinwalkers). Of course, Lee can't tell her what's really going on since she'd question his sanity.

The books ok bt not very exciting. Kinda just plods along with...more
Cameron
FicusFan
Bonnie Drummond
Vampires and Skin Walkers beware of ( The Night Walker New Mexico State Police Officer Lee Nez ) "half vampire half human and an attractive FBI Agent Diane Lopez, who's out to kick ass of the Vampire who killed her partner they make a hell of a team. They get the job done and save themselves and the world. Read if you want to find out what happened. I give this book 100% of all time.
Debbie
On my 2nd attempt, I finished. For some reason, I just couldn't get into it the first time.
After visiting the Navajo (Dineh) nation in Utah at Monument Valley, it was fun to read and relate to the culture and the scenery of this land in the book.
This is a vampire take with an American Indian twist. Interesting, but not sure if I'll continue in the series.
Vic
This was just alright. While there were vampires (including main character - a police officer)it didn't really have a UF feel to it. After it was over, I just kind of felt blah about it. Not sure I will listen to the next one.
KDawn
Sue
Mar 04, 2009 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Kathryn
Shelves: series
Lee Nez Novel #1. This was a great read. It held my interest right from the beginning. I thought the story was original and the addition of the tidbits about the culture of the Native People was very interesting. I'm not very familiar with the western part of the US, so this book also lead me to do a little internet research to help me visualize the landscape mentioned in the story. I'm looking forward to reading the second in the series. Thanks for recommending this Kathryn!
Ebster Davis
I got this one on audibles in attempt to listen to it with my grandma (she loves this series and suggested it, and since she can't see well enough to read amymore I thought we could listen to it together). Unfortunately everytime I would try to listen to it she turns on the TV loud. That was kind of a bummber.

The story was still good, and I really like Lee Nez/Hawk as a character. Diane has some cheesy lines, but that's probably just a result of her role in the story.
Marla
Jan 19, 2008 Marla rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that enjoys a good story
Shelves: mystery
Now these were different! I read these just when the Vampire stuff was starting to become really popular because of Buffy. And since I LOVE detective novels - well I had to read this!
Lee Nez is a night walker, a Navajo vampire. He is also a New Mexico state police officer. Thanks to the quick work of a Navajo shaman, Lee can walk about in the day and prefers his blood refrigerated - but his vampire nature makes him a magnet for the other supernatural entities.
Vickie
This is a super page turner! I just about finished it in one sitting, thanks to a mellow shift at work and nothing of interest on TV. This is why I carry a book with me in my purse at all times. Ya just never know when that blend comes along and you need a very good book to rescue you.

This one did the trick. It is a vampire book, but it is also a well written police mystery. A very good combo. Highly recommended.
Michele bookloverforever
I enjoyed this book. I found the protaganist, a Navajo unwilling vampire fighting navajo skinwalkers/shapechangers intriguing. I enjoyed the relationship between the protaganist and his "sidekick", a female, strong-willed and ambitious FBI agent interesting. I've already requested a 2nd book in this series from my library.
Fredrick Danysh
Native American policeman Lee Nez interrupts an attempted hijacking of a sensitive military cargo by a German vampire and spy and his bitten. Half cured he reatins mush of the vampiore curse. He attempts to find the military cargo that he hid and elimanate vampires and skinwalkers.
Tanya
This book was well written overall. There was good character development as well. I just didn't buy into the story as much as I thought I would. This is probably my favorite genre currently but I just couldn't get into it.
Tara
Gave up on pg 60. Thought a Southwestern mystery with a twist on the stereotypical tribal cop (he's a vampire) would at least be entertaining.
Keamy Loken
Really good! they where guy and girl who where only good friends!
And they didn't even have to have sex! I did not think that was possible:p
Jonquil
I was in New Mexico and this writer was recommended to me. My dog Tucker ate the last 12 pages off before I could finish it!!!
Carlos Proctor
Great book, cant wait for them to make this into a movie!
Aleta
Sep 13, 2010 Aleta added it
Shelves: southwest
Lame and overwrought
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Carly Bukowski
Carly Bukowski marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Bryn Greenwood
Bryn Greenwood is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Kilacunae
Kilacunae marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
D. McAtee
D. McAtee marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
David and Aimée Thurlo have been married for thirty-eight years. David was raised on the Navajo Indian Reservation and left Shiprock to complete his education at the University of New Mexico.

Aimée, born in Havana, Cuba, has lived in New Mexico for thirty-eight years. They currently have three poodles and one horse. Their home life can best be described as chaotic—but interesting.

The Thurlos' novel...more
More about David Thurlo...
Blood Retribution (Lee Nez, #2) Pale Death (Lee Nez, #3) Surrogate Evil (Lee Nez, #4) The Pawnbroker (Charlie Henry, #1) Grave Consequences (Charlie Henry, #2)