Start by marking “The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)

The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,558 ratings  ·  210 reviews
A is for author.... Dink writes to his favorite author, mystery writer
Wallis Wallace, and invites him to visit Green Lawn. To Dink's amazement,
Wallace says he'll come! But when the big day arrives, Wallace is nowhere to be
found. The police think he just missed his plane, but Dink suspects foul play.
It's up to Dink and his two best friends, Josh and Ruth Rose, to find the
f
Published 1997 by Scholastic Inc.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Holy mother load of childhood memories. These books, along side Cam Jansen, became my childhood. I was known as The Girl Who Loves Mystery Books at my school library. Yep. I was that cool. (Still am).

I am only going to review the first in this series because you guys probably wouldn't want 26 "OMG I LOVED THESE BOOKS" reviews.
And, "A" stands for Awesome so how fitting.

Calling children everywhere. If you want to be like Stella Chen one day, start reading these books because you will not regret it
Trisha
These are so fun! My 9 year old and I are listening to this as audio books in the car every day. We are constantly running around together on errands or to Girl Scout events.

These are a great easy way to give us something to listen to besides me trying to skip past the most recent Kesha song (ugh!) or completely inappropriate DJ banter.

I think so far this one has been my favorite. I love mysteries, so as a adult it's easy to spot "who done it"

but for my 9 year old, this one completely surprised
Taylor Miller
I read “The Absent Author” by Ron Roy. It is a cute kids book about an Author who gets kidnapped. The story takes place in a town called Green Lawn during the summer. The whole story happens within two days.

The main characters of the book are Dink, Ruth Rose, Josh, and Mavis Green. Dink, Ruth Rose, and Josh are all kids. Ruth Rose loves the color purple and she is dressed in it from head to toe. Josh is more of a quiet kid who tags along and does whatever Dink and Ruth do. Dink is the leader o
Mary
Description from inside book flap:
"A is for author.... Dink writes to his favorite author, mystery writer Wallis Wallace, and invites him to visit Green Lawn. To Dink's amazement, Wallace says he'll come! But when the big day arrives, Wallace is nowhere to be found. The police think he just missed his plane, but Dink suspects foul play. It's up to Dink and his two best friends, Josh and Ruth Rose, to find the famous writer--before it's too late! "

This book, from the A-Z Mystery series is a great
Dan Prillwitz
“The Absent Author” is a book written about three kids; Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose. Dink writes a letter to the famous author Wallis Wallace and is asking him to come to Green Lawn, the town Dink lives in. Wallis Wallace writes back to Dink and tells him that he will come. But when the day comes where Wallis Wallace is supposed to arrive he does not. Dink and his friends are worried. Dink remembers that Wallis said something about possibly getting kidnapped, so this makes Dink and the crew get to ...more
Aaron Schroeder
One day Dink decides to write to his favorite author, Wallis Wallace, and invites him to come to the local library to visit with him. Surprisingly, Wallace says he will come. Wallace never shows up on the day he says he will come, and Dink and his friends decide to go out and find him. They must use the clues left behind to try to save Wallace before it is to late.

The main characters in the story are Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose. Wallis Wallace also plays an important role as the kids are trying to
Ch_beverlyatwood
Title: The Absent Author (part of the A to Z Mysteries)
Author: Ron Roy
Illustrator: John Steven Gurney
Publisher: Random House
Year originally published: 1997
Translator (if applicable):
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: Ages 5-8
Format (picture book, audio book, book read online, chapter book/novel, graphic novel): Chapter Book
Rating system: ****
Brief summary: Dink Duncan and his two friends investigate the apparent kidnapping of famous mystery author Wallis Wallace. Dink e-mails author Walla
Corbin Billington
This was really a page turner for the fact that every page made you want Dink and his friends to solve the mystery of the Absent Author. Ron Roy does a great job of explaining the situation and showing the hardships of mystery solving. The kids solving the mystery had trouble finding the next clue even when they were on a roll. This is what made it such an enjoyable book to read. I would recommend this book to anyone below the age of 15. The younger readers would especially enjoy this book becau ...more
Kori Looker
I really enjoyed this book. A boy, Dink, writes a letter of invitation to his favorite author Wallis Wallace. Wallis Wallace wrote back saying, “I’ll be there no matter what, unless I’m kidnapped.” When Wallis Wallace doesn’t show, Dink thinks his favorite author is kidnapped. He is determined to solve the mystery of the absent author. Turns out the author tricked Dink about the kidnapping! Wallis Wallace was with him the entire time disguised as Mavis Green. Wallis watched as his number one fan ...more
(NS)Jordyn
This book series is perfect for 2nd and 3rd grade. The storyline is simple enough for readers that are still focusing some of the time on decoding. The main character, Dink, and his friends Josh and Ruth Rose aren't the most developed characters, but they could grow after a few books. I think one of the reasons this book series is so popular is because it empowers the child-characters and has them work with the adults on an almost equal playing field to solve the mystery. I'm actually interested ...more
Cynthia
This is the first book in a series of mysteries all beginning with a different letter of the alphabet. Some are definitely more mysterious than others, but my boys (ages 6 and almost 4) just eat them up. Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are three friends living in the small town of Green Lawn who seem to find adventure after adventure. The mysteries are simple enough that even young readers can pick up clues and begin to put the pieces together themselves. I think this will be a series that we will ret ...more
Heather
I received five of the books in this series as a "prize" during a conference I attended a year or so ago. I began reading them with my son this summer, and today he asked me to take him to the library to see if they had any of the others in the series.
Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are fun characters who have amazing adventures together. In this first novel, their favorite author is missing in action. They follow clues to figure out the mystery. It's sort of a "modern day" Boxcar Children or Nancy D
Aaron_ebert
Feb 24, 2013 Aaron_ebert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children between the ages of 8-12
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: Corbin Billington
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Absent Author" was a mystery book for children based on the story of Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose. When Josh contacts his favorite author, Wallice Wallis,she says she will come to Green Lawn for a book signing. When she fails to show up at the book signing, Josh and his friends go on a hunt to find her. They retrace her steps and you must read the book to find out what happens.

I thought the book was fairly decent. It's definitely written for children in the 8-12 age category.If you're interest
Abbas
Jan 06, 2015 Abbas added it
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Becka dittmann
I thought the book was okay. It was a mystery that was taking place mostly at a book signing. An author was supposed to come to a book signing but never showed up. The kids got worried and tried to find him. The author was named Wallis Wallace and the kids followed the places where the author was. In the end they found out that the author was really a woman and she was playing a trick on all the kids. I would recommend this book to the younger boy generation because it is a mystery and some girl ...more
Alicia Samson
Inoli
Jan 19, 2012 Inoli rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Inoli by: Stella
Two ratings for early chapter books, I think. Around a three for me; and these, I think, are a definite four for what they are and who their audience is. I really did some smiling through these and I was pretty impressed with several things (read the first three and will copy this to the others). They seemed to me like they would be really challenging and I liked the addition of the map of the neighborhood in the front.
Szneco
I've first read a book from this series and I feel amazed there're many useful expressions in it.
If you are English learner as a second language, this kinds of books for children would be helpful.
You could understand the context where sentences are used. That is hard to know by learning with textbook.
Rowlak5
This was my first chapter book read-a-loud this school year. We finished on a library day. When my students returned from the library, half of them had checked out A to Z mysteries. Needless to say, it was a raving hit! Class voted and we will be reading The Bald Bandit next.
Jennifer Blaine
Emily loves these books, and I picked this one up to see why she found them so entertaining. It was a fun read. I highly recommend reading what your kids like. It gives a different look into their personalities.
Todd
IF YOU LIKED THIS SERIES TRY...

January Joker (Calendar Mysteries, #1) by Ron Roy The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1) by David A. Adler Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) by Donald J. Sobol Jigsaw Jones' Detective Tips (Jigsaw Jones Mystery) by James Preller The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1) by Gertrude Chandler Warner The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope Ready-for-chapters (Third-Grade Detectives) by George E. Stanley The Ghost of Popcorn Hill by Betty Ren Wright
Brekken Rekken
Ron Roy was born in Hartford, Connecticut. his real name is Wallace Ronald Roy, but he shortened it to Ron Roy. He was a shy kid who spent most his time reading and studying nature. He loved school while growing up and won all the spelling bees. His dream was to become a teacher, but somewhere along the line he decided to start writing children's books. Ron Roy sold his first book in 1978.

Ding writes to his favorite author Wallis Wallace and invites him to Green Lawn. Wallis Wallace Says the onl
Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death)
A to Z mysteries is, to me, a staple of childhood. I remember fondly the days when I would read about Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose and all their adventures in Connecticut. Essentially, this was my Nancy Drew. So it's understandable that I'm basing this rating mostly on how much fun I had when I was younger. But that still works, right? Somehow I doubt that the books are just pure trash anyway.

Alright, yes, the books had their fair share of campy moments (See the confrontation scene in The Bald Band
Wendycarlson3
I read this book to my two sons, 7 & 9, and they liked it. We would only read one chapter per night and the end of each chapter left us in suspense. I liked this for two reasons; 1) the suspense of what might happen next made my boys involved in the story and eager to read more, and 2) it made them think deeply, we would evaluate what happened, what we knew, and what might happen next. It was neat hearing the different perspectives from each boy and seeing who deduced correctly.
Rachel
A lower level mystery, The Absent Author follows three kids looking for a famous kidnapped author, Wallis Wallace. Including a book like this would work well when building a text set of mystery-genre stories. In a group reading setting, this story would get lower readers in on the action of solving mysteries and allow them to practice vocabulary and reading skills.

Interest Level: K-3
Reading Level: 3.4
AR Points: 1

Awards: N/A

Primary Bookshelf: Mystery

Genre: Mystery, Fiction
Mackenzie Peter
Genre- Mystery
The Absent Author is a cute kids mystery book that will keeps kids engaged in trying to figure out who did it. This book is Ron Roy's first book in the A to Z Mysteries series. Even though this was an easy read for me and a kids book, I was interested in the book the whole time reading and it was hard to put it down. Even if you are not into mysteries, this is a fun book to read.
Beth Anne
Read aloud to Emma and Will. This looks to be a fun series. There is a wonderfully illustrated map of the town at the beginning of the book, and the kids loved finding the locations on the map as we read about them in the story. The mystery was simple, but not too obvious, and the writing was straightforward and interesting. Looking forward to book #2...B!
Lisa Cohn
Michael, age 6, loves A to Z Mysteries because they're mysteries that involve kids. They remind him in some ways of Scooby-Doo mysteries. Here he gives kids his views about the characters in these books, telling which character is his favorite and why:
Andy
Decided to read one of these, since I dowork in a public library and should probably be familiar with the series. Good mystery for young readers, plenty of clues sprinkled throughout and pretty entertaining. Also a good transition from easy readers to full-length chapter books.
I have a question 1 8 Mar 28, 2014 01:31AM
Did anyone think... 1 14 Mar 21, 2013 06:20PM
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House, #25)
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1)
  • Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #2)
  • Truth About Bats (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #1)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)
The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2) The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9) The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3) The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5) The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)