Start by marking “After Lucy” as Want to Read:
After Lucy

After Lucy

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Porter Ellis once believed he would be a famous painter -- until a decade of eking out a living as a graphic designer crushed his dreams.

Suddenly his wife, Lucy, dies of breast cancer, and Porter discovers that he can't deal with her parents. Sneaking out of town with his twelve-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son, he sets out on an adventure that he hopes will mend t
Published June 5th 2001 by Harper Perennial (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about After Lucy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Lucy

Stacey Palevsky
The writing in this book was only so-so, but the characters were so endearing that I couldn't stop reading. I really loved being inside Porter's mind during the novel. His thoughts had a very conversational tone that I liked. And had the author's prose been better, I would have given this book 4 stars.
Evan
Dan Jones is a a local author who is also the editor of the NY Times Magaznine column on Love. This was his first novel before he edited the "Bastard on the couch", a follow up to his wife's compilation, "Bitch in the House". He really writes in a comic yet poignant way. Good first novel.
Laura Krossner
I'm not sure why everyone seems to give this book low ratings. I really enjoyed Porter's journey in the novel. It was a bit of a slow start, but that worked well with how we was feeling in the beginning of the novel.
Karl H.
After Lucy is supposed to be "affecting and wise" according to Vanity Fair. I would dearly like to know how they reached that conclusion, because there are no insights into anything, and I found it impossible to be affected by the misadventures of this jerk.

I hate Porter. He's supposed to be a likable everyman, but how are we supposed to empathize with this man-child? His jokes aren't funny and often play off facile stereotypes. Hur hur, granolaland, hur hur, fat people, yuk yuk, abstract art.
Angela M
This book was just OK for me. From reading the book jacket, I was expecting more of a road trip where they possibly meet lots of interesting people and Porter forms new bonds with his children. The road trip was kind of a bust. I also thought that it was unrealistic for them to be doing all this only 3 weeks after Lucy died. Three MONTHS would have been more believable.
Mom2nine
This book is not a downer! The story starts a few weeks after Lucy's death, Porter has not gone back to work and is trying to figure out where to go from here. I found the characters believable and likeable. The story flowed nicely and I read it in one day. Each person in the family: the husband, children, her parents and his parents all trying to find their way in a world that hasn't turned out as planned.
Katie Conklin
I thought the writing style was too basic in this book. That usually doesn't bother me but it did with this book. I just felt that it was flat and really anti-climactic. I found this in a second hand bookstore and was really excited to read it, but sadly I was disappointed. I'm glad I read it and I thought it was a good idea, but I don't know if I would recommend it
Emily
Although in my opinion this book's plot wasn't very good, I liked it because it gave me perspective on what someone goes through after a spouse or someone close to them has died, and how they cope with it. I would recommend it because it's a quick read and the insight it has on the topic of death is very interesting.
I kept waiting and waiting for this book to get started and before I knew it I was half way through. It was pretty depressing and I wouldn't recommend it. I'm pretty sure I read a great review in a magazine about this one and boy were they wrong!
Abby Sominski
I read this book after reading the author's moving letters to his real life wife (who is also an author) ... maybe I should read his essays because this novel was unimpressive to me, and unrealistic.
Cynthia
Picked up in the second half. After his wife's death, man and his two kids end up a campground full of Deadheads.
Marisa Zimmerman
The premise sounds so much more interesting than the writing actually is. I wanted to like it more.
Nicole
Enjoying this more than i imagined i would.... No expectations. Just a fun, easy read.
Susan
Jun 10, 2010 Susan marked it as to-read
EFL Book After-Sale ($0) 6/10
Alexis Canelo
Alexis Canelo marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Melissa Hernandez
Melissa Hernandez marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Amanda Dicicco
Amanda Dicicco marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Nett
Nett added it
Apr 15, 2014
Vilo
Vilo marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Sanjina
Sanjina marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Candi Heller
Candi Heller marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Daniel Jones, author of “Love Illuminated: Exploring Life's Most Mystifying Subject (with the Help of 50,000 Strangers),” has edited the Modern Love column in the Sunday Styles section of The New York Times since its inception in October 2004. His other books include two essay anthologies, “Modern Love” and “The Bastard on the Couch,” and a novel, “After Lucy,” which was a finalist for the Barnes ...more
More about Daniel Jones...
Love Illuminated: Exploring Life's Most Mystifying Subject (with the Help of 50,000 Strangers) Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion