Start by marking “Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion” as Want to Read:
Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion

Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  30 reviews
50 Irresistible True Accounts of Love in the Twenty-first Century.

A young woman wryly describes a relationship that races from start to finish almost entirely via text messages.

A Casanova is jilted after an idyllic three weeks and learns the hard way that the woman is, well, just not that into him.

An overweight woman in a sexless marriage wrestles with the rules of desire.
Published January 23rd 2007 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Love

Leslie
I loved about a fourth of the essays in this book, liked about half, and hated a fourth. Most of the stories are quirky, heartfelt, excellently written, and engaging. A few are whiny drivel, but those are the exceptions. My biggest quibble with this book is the structure/order of the essays. The editor groups them by stages or categories of love: seeking, finding, breeding, staying, leaving, and bound (yeah, that last category doesn't flow as well). Because the predictably depressing "leaving" c ...more
Brad
Instead of reading another review, read this essay. One of the best.
Jiunwen Wang
This is a great collection of love stories. And through these honestly told, emotionally raw stories, we see that love comes in all shapes and sizes - be it present, absent, remembered, forgotten, lived, lost, love is something that binds us all humans together, however briefly or long in time.
This book is not just dedicated to romantic love, but to all forms of love including parental and platonic ones.
I admire the writers for their heartfelt honesty and courage. Thank you for sharing your stor
Heather
I wasn't certain if I liked this at first. The first chapter in this non-fiction book of essays on love deals with the dating scene where every story ends in heartbreak. I wanted to slit my throat. Luckily the second chapter deals with love stories on marriage, the third chapter has stories on babies and then the fourth chapter takes us to a crescendo of heart felt tales of people who stay together for life. Chapters five and six are back to depression mode with stories of death and divorces.

I
Chrissy
Mar 09, 2007 Chrissy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the interweb savvy
Shelves: non-fiction
If you've ever Googled an ex's name, read a romantic rival's blog, or counted carpal tunnel syndrome as one the downsides of your relationship, then you have been a victim of modern love. Read this book, and recognize that you are not alone.

Modern Love is a fitting monument to relationships in the new millennium. Fifty succinct tales, quick reads that require minimal commitment but with the potential to provide maximum satisfaction, this collection contains essays culled from the pages of the Ne
Jaclyn
The reader in me loved these stories. Many brought me to tears, and there is little that is more interesting to read about than relationships because they're something we can all relate to.

The writer in me is wondering how on earth each story hit exactly the same tone. Man, the editor of this bad boy must have a heavy hand. Either that, or they just happened to find two dozen writers who write similarly to one another. Which I suppose may be the case, that the editor is just choosing stories th
Jen
I've read this book several times. The diversity of the relationships - seeking or finding love, staying together, divorcing - it's all here. From a woman who marries her gay best friend so that he can get his green card, to a woman who can't listen to the Beatles because she shared that love with her daughter until she suddenly died in childhood, to a woman who invents a boyfriend because her partner is a woman and "Don't ask, don't tell" prohibited her from mentioning the reality of her dates ...more
Megan Doyle
One of my favorite columns in the New York Times, this felt like a decadent indulgence that I read way too fast and enjoyed way too much. Perhaps this is why it is good to read only one a week? Not just dedicated to romantic love, the contributers in this book do an amazing job of telling their stories. I love memoir, and I love short stories, and I love love. "Do you love love like I do? Then buy my book" says Eddie Murphy (as Velvet Jones.) That could be the pitch here as well. A good reminder ...more
Anne
May 22, 2007 Anne added it
There were some real gems in here (Ayelet Waldman's controversial piece about loving her husband -- Michael Chabon -- more than her children was AMAZING and would get four stars if it were a slim little book of its own) , but I took issue with the subsections, which tried to squeeze a bunch of unconventional stories about love into conventional categories. Also, a few of these essays were just plain AWFUL. One (about red folders and blue folders and getting fired and gym lockers) was so confusin ...more
Lauren
I'm a sucker for essay collections, and this book was perfectly enjoyable. I had it in my bag during my campus visits, and I was happy to be able to read an essay or two while waiting for appointments. While it is a bit New York-centric (the collection editor is author of The Bastard on the Couch and the husband of the author of The Bitch in the House, both books that majorly had this problem) the stories were varied enough to keep me coming back. Well, that and there was nothing much else to do ...more
Jessica
Jan 29, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is another compilation of stories - in this case about dating, marriage, kids, divorce, and extended family - it's taken from the New York Times column "Modern Love". This is probably one of the best and most interesting NF story collections I've read. The stories are pretty short, 3-4 pages, and a lot of the stories I recognized as excerpted from other books I've read. I would highly recommend this book!
Anika
This is a collection of essays from the 'Modern Love' section of the Sunday Times, which has long been one of my favorite things in a week. The essays range from explorations of the completely mundane to situations you can safely say you'll never experience, but all are fascinating glimpses into love in all its bizarre intricacies.
Brian Kennedy
A compilation of essays from Modern Love in the New York Times: A column every writer I know would die to be in. Published in 2007, I was surprised some of these pieces are lighter and less dramatic than the ones the Time has run over the last couple of years. Lots of great pieces. Hardly any less-than-great ones.
Sam
Nov 10, 2012 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: essays
Fun anthology. Quick reads. Relatable topics. I wish there were some happier stories in here. I also wish there were more stories from younger writers too as new technology is effecting the way they date. I liked this book but I didn't like it as much as I had expected to.
Jennifer D. Munro
Maybe the strongest anthology I've read to date. I liked the grouping of the essays, too, so that cynical me could read all of the unhappy ones first and then go back to the happier ones. Would love to see a second edition come out with more favorites from the column.
Delight
I look forward to the "Modern Love" essay in the NYT every Sunday. Jones has compiled the best essays into this fascinating, honest, painful, real look at love--in all its iterations. I really enjoyed this book.
Debbie
This is a compilation of pieces from the NY Times column of the same name. Easy to read, and a nice reminder that relationships are dynamic and the lives we lead need not fit to any one mold.
Emily
A wide assortment of stories...some guaranteed to make you cry, some guaranteed to make you laugh. A small glimpse at our modern, complicated lives of loving, parenting, and coping.
Tricia Lawrence
Great collection. Made me feel like I was reading other people's journals...some sad and depressing, and some exhilarating and hopeful. A good read for any voyeur.
Loved this book - a compilation of the true tales from the "Modern Love" column in the Sunday NYTimes. Perfect for a light story before bedtime.
Ellen
I'm a huge fan of this column in the New York Times, but as the person who loaned this book to me said, "it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be."
Jean
As Lauren said, just a fun book of quick read essays, some better than others, but hard to put down. "I'll read just one more" kind of a book
Sara
Always anticipate this column in the New York Times, this book was no less rewarding. Filled with stories that inspire thought and reflection.
Jessica
Ignore the cover! The articles are all from the new york times...and some are pretty good. Recommend for the fast read or a lazy day at a park.
Elle Forbes
Mar 15, 2007 Elle Forbes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all NYTimes-lovers
This book is a compilation of my favorite New York Times article, Modern Love. How could one go wrong?
Colleen Wainwright
It's time for a best-of-the-best of this venerable column. But this selection is a good start.
Heather
Great book. My sister gave this to me for my birthday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Anonymous
A lot of the same stories that are online.
minervasowl
Human relationships fascinate me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Us: Americans Talk About Love
  • One Big Happy Family: 18 Writers Talk About Polyamory, Open Adoption, Mixed Marriage, Househusbandry, Single Motherhood, and Other Realities of Truly Modern Love
  • Envy
  • Always Hit On The Wingman...and 9 Other Secret Rules for Getting the Love Life You Want
  • In Fact: The Best of Creative Nonfiction
  • Behind the Bedroom Door: Getting It, Giving It, Loving It, Missing It
  • Break These Rules: 35 YA Authors on Speaking Up, Standing Out, and Being Yourself
  • If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single?: Ten Strategies That Will Change Your Love Life Forever
  • Geekspeak: Why Life + Mathematics = Happiness
  • Inside a U.S. Embassy: How the Foreign Service Works for America
  • Soft Spots: A Marine's Memoir of Combat and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Muhajababes: Meet the New Middle East - Cool, Sexy and Devout
  • Your Life as Story
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • Bad Girls Go Everywhere: The Life of Helen Gurley Brown
  • Close Calls With Nonsense: Reading New Poetry
  • Turning Japanese

Daniel Jones, New York Times 'Modern Love' editor. He is married to writer Cathi Hanauer
More about Daniel Jones...
The Bastard on the Couch: 27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom