Start by marking “The Sixth Extinction: Journeys Among the Lost and Left Behind” as Want to Read:
The Sixth Extinction: Journeys Among the Lost and Left Behind

The Sixth Extinction: Journeys Among the Lost and Left Behind

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Sixth Extinction is a haunting account of the age in which we live. Ecologists are calling it the Sixth Great Extinction, and the world isn't losing just its ecological legacy; also vanishing is a vast human legacy of languages and our ways of living, seeing, and knowing.
Terry Glavin confirms that we are in the midst of a nearly unprecedented, catastrophic vanishing of
Published June 10th 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published April 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sixth Extinction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sixth Extinction

Pammie
So many books with this title! I thought I was getting the new one by Elizabeth Kolbert, but this is what arrived on the hold shelf for me at the library. Now I must find her book and compare! This one has really grabbed me, so I will see how it plays out.

Glavin went all over the world witnessing habitat destruction (cut down the trees, everything else eventually goes). By "everything", he shows how it is not just local flora and fauna, but human culture and languages. We are not only losing sp
Debra
I enjoyed the content; however, I found the writing style to be distracting, rambling, and disjointed. Very disappointing for a book I was so excited to read...maybe my expectations were too high. Overall, I thought it was just okay.
Kevin
A lot of these nature/ecology books seem like drawn-out magzine articles, but this one actaully had enough material to be full book. While this book talked about the mass extinction and rapid loss of biodiverstiy currently going on, it also hit the similiar loss of culture and diversity of food (there used to be thousands of different apple varieties, but now we're down to a few dozen). This was a good book and very readable, although the writing could have been a little more tighter and a stron ...more
Mike
The topic is interesting, but I found the author's arguments not entirely convincing. He may have got it exactly right, but I was not specifically convinced by his presentations. I don't disagree that mass extinctions have occurred in Earth's past. In fact I strongly believe that simplistic answers like comets do a disservice to true detection of how and why mass die-offs happened. Sure the Iridium layer is there, but hundreds of dinosaur species were "pushing up the daisies" long before we were ...more
Nicole
I liked how Glavin pointed out the similarities between ecological extinctions and linguistic and cultural extinctions. He chose some fascinating examples, many of which I hadn't seen much about before even though I've read books with similar themes, and wrote about them engagingly. The focus on stories rather than statistics makes it a bit tougher to use as a reference in other arguments but makes the reader more likely to care about the points Glavin is making.
Dylan
The title is relevant to the subject matter, but the thing that makes this book unique is that it answers the question: why care? We may encounter a lot of compelling data about threats to biodiversity, but it's really hard to relate it our own experience. That's best done through stories, and that's why it's very worthwhile to read a book written on the subject by a journalist rather than a scientist.
Jennifer Chin
Totally enlightening, and extremely well written. If you've ever wanted to know anything about what's happening to the plants and animals in our planet, and also the role that humans and geological history has played on species and habitat loss, you MUST read this book. Does an amazing job of discussing many places, situations through first-hand reporting.
Margaret Sankey
Another Fourth genre work in which the author goes to a lot of trouble to locate and document the effects of vanishing animals, languages and traditions, among them the civil-war generating languages of extremely rural India, whale hunting in northern Norway, the removal of predatory panthers in Vancouver and the risky biodiversity of apples.
Rebekah
This is a collection of semi-essays (I say semi because the DO ultimately link together to form a full story) exploring not only the precarious survival of several endangered animals, but also the survival of endangered cultures. It's not easy reading considering I haven't read a DAMNED thing in too long, but I am enjoying it.
A brief snapshot at the hypothesis that we are going through a sixth great extinction period, only to be exacerbated by global warming and increasing human population growth. If you want to know what overconsumption has done to the other critters we share this globe with, read this book!
Miriam
What I like about this book is how it connects many types of extinctions. It treats extinctions of languages and cultures as importantly as extinctions of ecosystems and species. I think that's very cool and valuable.
Mary Warner
Excellent book. Well written. I took copious notes from it. Glavin explains how extinctions are inter-related. When one thing in an ecosystem goes, others tend to follow. Human culture is not immune.
Bob
Why is the current "anthropogenic" mass extinction different than the other five recorded in the geologic record? The answer is here, and the story of comparisons is fascinating.
Kelly Anderson
Mr. Glavin provides a fascinating and intriguing look at the current state of the planet Earth from several different angles. Wonderfully informative.
John
Very good cover of a difficult topic. The prose in places is lyrical. The author has a strange gift for choosing the right place to see a hard problem from.
Avi
A 6.5. Scary and informative topic but it could have been written a little better.
Grillables
Some interesting facts and ideas, but I found the style a little dry.
aldo zirsov
beli diskon di periplus pondok indah
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Danielle Gauld
Danielle Gauld marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Rashel
Rashel added it
Jun 25, 2015
Bob
Bob added it
May 29, 2015
Susie G
Susie G marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2015
Jen
Jen added it
Jan 02, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Dennis
Dennis added it
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Last Great Sea: Voyage Through the Human and Natural History of the North Pacific Ocean Waiting for the Macaws: And Other Stories From The Age Of Extinction Come from the Shadows: The Long and Lonely Struggle for Peace in Afghanistan Dead reckoning: Confronting the crisis in Pacific fisheries Nemiah: The Unconquered Country