Firefight: Inside the Battle to Save the Pentagon on 9/11

Firefight: Inside the Battle to Save the Pentagon on 9/11

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Amid all the stories of tragedy and heroism on September 11, there is one tale that has yet to be told–the gripping account of ordinary men and women braving the inferno at the Pentagon to rescue friends and co-workers, save the nation’s military headquarters, and defend their country.

Pentagon firefighters Alan Wallace and Mark Skipper had just learned the shocking news th...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Presidio Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Firefight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefight

Aunt
Jun 03, 2008 Aunt marked it as to-read
This book was just reviewed in the Washington Post, mostly positively. It turns out it was written by the brother of one of my neighbors so I'm going to read it for that reason, but also because I understand it's one of those non-fiction books that reads like fiction. And, anyway, one needs a story of heroism now and then to combat the rampant consumerism and self-involvement of today. . .
Elisif
I really enjoyed this book--a very compelling story, well-told, lots of interesting details. My only complaints are that maybe it was too detailed and too long--I think they needed more editing. Got bogged down about half-way through, but then the story picked up again. I felt it was almost too factual; the authors didn't draw any conclusions about what they learned or about the overall experience for people on the ground, except in the most basic way. I felt like there should have been a little...more
Susan
Firefight is a story about the people who responded to the Pentagon on the morning of September 11, 2001. But beyond that it is a glimpse into their actions, reactions and interactions that day and in the weeks that followed.

In a former life I was a fire department wife. Then I was an Army wife. On September 11th I was an Air Force mom. So I could be predjudiced to like this book.

It's not a story however that has much to do with the military or the fire service per se; and is not just a book for...more
Carole
Sep 04, 2008 Carole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 9/11 buffs, firefighters & their families
Shelves: non-fiction
I seem to be fascinated with th heroics of 9/11; it may have to do with the fact that my husband is a firefighter in our town.
You hear mostly about the Towers so it was interesting to read just how hard it was for everyone to work in an unstable buiding that wasn't built like normal buildings. These people had to witness all the destruction,death and injuries up close and still try to perform their duties unemotionally. But most of all it showed how most everyone worked together to keep our coun...more
Trina
I highly recommend this book. It did contain a lot of information (I ended up going back and re-reading the first few chapters), but overall, the overview of how the events unfolded at the Pentagon was a wonderful history lesson. There were so many details about the event and its effects on first-responders and Pentagon employees that I had never known, even as one who lives in the area. Some may find it a little long to get through, but I encourage you to stick through to the end. You will be g...more
Kelly
A Four-Star General Plus 1: FIREFIGHT has earned its 4 Stars + 1. If you've read or are familiar with 102 MINUTES: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers, FIREFIGHT is the Pentagon equivalent. Co-authors Creed is a volunteer firefighter and US Army reservist who served in Iraq, Newman is US News & World Report journalist who covered the Pentagon on 9/11.
larry
Jul 21, 2008 larry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mike M.
Recommended to larry by: NPR radio interview
Good read.....If you want a "step by step" of the time line of what happened at the Pentagon, this is the book for you.....a behind the scenes look at what the firefighters/fema/fbi and other pentagon people did for the week after the 9/11 tragedy. Almost a bit too detailed, but none the less very interesting read....or as it says at the top of this page...a good read.

Al
WOW, this is a very interesting book to read... Especially since I know many of these folks. As a firefighter I responded to the pentagon on 9/12 and was part of the Division on the roof trying to cut through the slate roof and put the fire out. I still do not know how BC John Gleske got around and did so much, such a chubby little guy cannot move around that much...
Angela
I was initially attracted to this book because it is written by two JMU alumni. The book was an interesting read, however, I was expecting there to be more discussion of the victims at the Pentagon on 9/11. Instead, the book mainly focuses on the firefighters and rescue workers who worked to save the Pentagon structure on 9/11 and in the days after.
Michael
I liked this reasonably well, but I'm not too sure that most people would care for it. Much (if not most) of the focus is on how the different organizations (emergency services, the military, and security organizations) interacted - although there is description of how different dangerous situations were dealt with as well.
Usako
A co-worker highly recommended this nonfiction book and I'm very glad to have heard of it. This book gave me more insight into the fires. The location become more vivid in my mind, considering I have walked those corridors and heard tales from co-workers who were present during 9/11 at the Pentagon.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is a pretty good discussion of a somewhat overlooked part of the events of September 11, 2001. It generally manages not to be overly maudlin or politically divisive.
Jenny.p
This book reads like an action novel and the facts are pretty darn solid.
Byron
Oct 01, 2008 Byron is currently reading it
The story of 9/11 and the fire and rescue at the Pentagon
Colleen Vacha tuescher
Lots of names and titles to try to keep track of
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Marcia
Marcia is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Olemiss549
Olemiss549 marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Jan 30, 2014
Leanne Bradburn
Leanne Bradburn marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013