Start by marking “Al Murray: The Pub Landlord's Book of British Common Sense” as Want to Read:
Al Murray: The Pub Landlord's Book of British Common Sense

Al Murray: The Pub Landlord's Book of British Common Sense

Published October 11th 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Al Murray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Al Murray

Saoirse Sterling
Back when Al Murray's alter-ego The Pub Landlord was all over the TV ("Big Bob, Big Bob, Big Bob Big Bob Big Bob") I bought these books and yes, found them entertaining. He takes the piss out of the racist, sexist, 70's ideological pub-going English(men) who make Nigel Farage look slightly left-wing.

It is very amusing, but I think it's also of it's time. It was pre-UKIP (in media coverage, anyway) and it was about a mythical beast that only existed during opening hours of their local. Harmless,
Ian Wood
Jan 07, 2008 Ian Wood rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one
Shelves: scripts-film-etc
As well as ‘joy to all’ Christmas also heralds so many less welcome events into our homes such as ‘the Christmas jumper’, ‘socks/ties adorned by cartoon characters’ and most disturbingly ‘hilarious Christmas books’. Conceived as a sort of Annual for Adults these brightly coloured and lavishly tooled eyesores come gift wrapped from people whom have absolutely no idea what to buy us.

Once a year every fairly well known comedian/comic actor has his stage act stretched into a series of awful features
Raluca Popescu
Feb 12, 2014 Raluca Popescu rated it it was ok
I got this as a gift. And by "gift" I mean the friend who owned it threatened to chuck it before he moves out and saddled me with it.
I'm wondering whether I'm the only person who really sat down and read it, rather than flicking through it with a vaguely amused snicker.
So it's supposed to be a parody of what the regular pub-going Brit thinks of everything around him, from religion, work and football to which James Bond is the best Bond (Sean Connery) and which Doctor Who is the best Doctor (Sean
Lesley
Oct 01, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
Despite the fact I normally don't like Al Murray's stand-up 'act' (if you can even call it that), I actually did laugh in places whilst reading this book. It first came to my attention at work (I work in a charity shop and we'd just started selling books at the time). Somebody bought it (it was a paperback version) but then I found the hardback version in another shop a few weeks later. It seemed interesting so I thought I'd give it a go and, weirdly, it didn't let me down!

(I still don't particu
Duncan Wilson
Dec 18, 2012 Duncan Wilson rated it liked it
if you like al murray's "pub landlord" act then you'll love this book. a humorous take on the typical "fact" books that you get at christmas time.
full of classic observations form the landlord himself its easy to see al murrays intelligence shine through some segments and his observations are extremley witty. probaly to both those that get the joke and those that don't.
great fun and a brilliant gift.
Brad Medd
Jun 28, 2015 Brad Medd rated it really liked it
Picked this one up purely out of curiosity, gave it a read, found myself in stitches during some parts. It's full of witty observations which are very true to life and it's generally amusing throughout. It's not what I'd typically go for so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Now with that said,I'm off t' pub.
Simon
Jun 22, 2012 Simon rated it really liked it
Completely inane but often very amusing. I know nothing of Al Murray, I've lived in NZ for several years but I'm back here in England on holiday, so reading this devotion to Britain is most enjoyable, especially during the jubilee period, and with Europe having a shocker politically. Great to read in short burts; e.g. on the tube.
Conor O'mahony
Sep 18, 2013 Conor O'mahony rated it it was amazing
I first saw his act 10 years ago. This book is just that EXACT same act written down. A shame his act has not moved on since then
Niels
Jul 25, 2011 Niels rated it liked it
Great for a little laugh. Dont read it in one go - leave it somewhere where you can read 5-10 minutes at the time....
Mindaugas
Mindaugas rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Marin
Marin rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Dibiase
Dibiase rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2010
Luca Caneparo
Luca Caneparo rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Jailbreak_uk
Jailbreak_uk rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2010
Steven Pilling
Steven Pilling rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2012
Kieran
Kieran rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2010
Nats
Nats rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2009
DJ
DJ rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Holger
Holger rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2012
Josh Bailey
Josh Bailey rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Craig Lenaghan
Craig Lenaghan rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Philip Higgins
Philip Higgins rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Steve Lister
Steve Lister rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Tom Wesolowski
Tom Wesolowski rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Booksthailand
Booksthailand rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alastair James Hay "Al" Murray is an English comedian and TV personality well known for his stand-up persona and quick repartee.

His best-known character is "The Pub Landlord", a mock-xenophobic but stereotypical publican.

More about Al Murray...