Start by marking “Designing Web Usability” as Want to Read:
Designing Web Usability

Designing Web Usability

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  744 ratings  ·  33 reviews
New approaches for crafting effective sites. This book is a tutorial and exposition of the principles of Web site design. It aids users in building web sites that stand out from the noise of the web and bring them to the content in an effective and efficient way. This four-color book gives substantial critiques of existing Web site designs.
Published January 1st 2000 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Designing Web Usability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Web Usability

Jorge Andrade
Jakob Nielsen busca en este libro entregar los lineamientos mínimos que debe considerar un desarrollador/diseñador al momento de crear una web. El libro lleva su tiempo, fue publicado en el año 2000, sin embargo los tópicos están planteados de tal forma que, manteniendo las proporciones, las conclusiones extraídas son tan válidas ahora como hace 8 años atrás. En mi caso, a medida que avanzaba en la lectura, visualizaba lo desarrollado anteriormente encontrando diversas falencias que en su moment ...more
Jarrodtrainque
Creating Web sites is easy. Creating sites that truly meet the needs and expectations of the wide range of online users is quite another story. In Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity, renowned Web usability guru Jakob Nielsen shares his insightful thoughts on the subject. Packed with annotated examples of actual Web sites, this book sets out many of the design precepts all Web developers should follow./ This guide segments discussions of Web usability into page, content, site, an ...more
Graham Herrli
Nielsen writes at the beginning of this book that he aims to express principles that endure, yet even so, much of the book is outdated by now (fourteen years later). Nevertheless, from a historical perspective, it's a reasonably interesting snapshot of the state of the field of usability in 1999.

There is one section (pages 350-2) where Nielsen makes a list of predictions about how the internet will impact the future world. It's a fascinating read because there are predictions that are spot-on al
Marcella Bongiovanni
Il primo e il migliore, da qui in poi i suoi libri sono stati sempre meno interessanti
Jeremiah
If you have anything to do with creating web sites or screen interfaces you need to read this book. Though the specifics and examples are often dated (published in 2000) the concepts still hold true.

Even if you don't care much for the tech details, you might find it interesting to learn why it is that some sites frustrate you and are more difficult to use.

A lot of my opinions and perceptions about web sites were formed or confirmed in this book.

I ordered this with a bunch of other graphic design
Eric Brown
One of the books that brought usability to the forefront. A good book for it's time. Don't both buying it, the examples are outdated. Instead, visit Jakob's website and subscribe to his feed.
Paul Sidwell
A great read for anyone involved in website design. True, some of the stats are irrelevant now, mostly due to the prolific availability of broadband internet connections, but his points remain the same: Keep it simple, and design it for your user.

A great complimentary book to this one is "Don't Make Me Think", by Steve Krug. Read my blog post about it here: http://thepointoffire.blogspot.com/20...
DWRL Library
Despite its 1999 publication date, this is a still-applicable guide to designing usable websites. It examines numerous examples to highlight the most critical design issues at the page and site levels, showing how they can work together to create an effective design. Anyone interested in an introduction to the foundational principles of web usability will likely find this an accessible and worthwhile read.
Alexander Panfilenok
This book was actual 15 years ago. It is still actual for you if you have no idea about how all this things work. The most valuable content for me was the set of the website screenshoots from the past =) All other things are pretty banal.
Sandro
Good book, but if you've read some other material about general usability this book isn't going to tell you much more.

The most important thing to retrieve from this book is that you should always aim to a simple and efficient interface, reducing the clutter and stuff that may overload the short-memory of the web user.
Heather
This was the textbook for a web design course I took back in 2001. The analysis of websites for good and bad, was very helpful in developing a critical eye for my own designs. I agree with other reviewers that it is now dated, however I still browse it now and then, for a historical perspective on web design.
Ed
Usability gnome Nielsen is best known for this work. It's still taken a decade for the basic insights he had to be effected in web projects. For example only in very recent times has content been considered alongside and as part of design, instead of being decoupled at every opportunity. Still relevant and worthy.
Dave
Great book, lots of good lessons on designing usable web interfaces, but the author's emphasis on spartan design seems a bit dated given the pervasive availability of broadband connections. The 1 second rule seems a good one, but I think that the kb limit for any one page could be revised upward.

Sallie
Wonderful! I love that recommendations are so thoroughly research-based ... not just what "looks" good but what is effective. Reminds you what is really important -- the user! While this has been around for awhile, I still see a lot of user-unfriendly sites out there.
Jordan
Usability is a separate animal from CRO and Neilsen has had this game on lock way before it was ubiquitous and popular. The book is old and less relevant and basic on page usability has become much more common, but still a decent over view of the big ideas behind it.
Andrea
Apparentemente è un manuale molto tecnico, in realtà i principi dell'usabilità di Nielsen si possono applicare a molti campi e costituiscono quasi un'Estetica pragmatica e attuale.
Un po' ripetitivo e maledettamente costoso.
jonathan berger
I've been hearing about this "game-changing" book for years, and finally picked it up on a bargain rack. Its hard to judge its impact in the late 1990s, but it doesn't hold up well, and Nielsen's tone is pretty irritating.
Garrett
I read this meany years ago. But it was very handy as a reference for when I was writing my Master's Thesis.

I especially appreciated the pictures of sites and how Jakob broke them down into parts for discussion.
Luis Abarca
Uno de los libros que debes leer si estas en el negocio de los sitios Web, algunas cosas se alejan de la realidad, aunque siempre es bueno conocer primero las reglas para saber cuando se pueden romper.
Luis Abarca
Maria
quizás porque ya está un poco desfasado me ha aburrido bastante, vamos que lo he leído en diagonal y, en algunas ocasiones, me ha parecido una perogrullada (o es que sé mas de usabilidad de lo que pensaba...)
Leonard Houx
I find it astounding that this book was first written in 1997. So much is still so useful. I especially recommend this book for anyone working in e-learning.
Belle
This is a standard work. I wish every web designer would have read it. This way we would be free of bad designed websites.
Kristi Thompson
Designing Web Usability : The Practice of Simplicity by Jakob Nielsen (1999)
bitchrepublic
my guru!!!!!!!!!!! everyone should learn how to make effective web from here.
Alex
Aug 16, 2010 Alex added it
First read this in Uni, it's a great read 2nd time around.

Shawn
Should be mandatory reading for all website designers.
Chiel
LinkedIn user Experience Group recommendation
Orlando
standard text for usability and web design.
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Defensive Design for the Web: How to Improve Error Messages, Help, Forms, and Other Crisis Points
  • Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Contextual Design: Defining Customer-Centered Systems
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jakob Nielsen is a leading web usability consultant. He holds a Ph.D. in human-computer interaction from the Technical University of Denmark in Copenhagen. He is also the principal of the Nielsen Norman Group which he co-founded with Dr. Donald A. Norman (former VP of research at Apple Computer). Before starting NNG in 1998 he was a Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer.

Nielsen founded the "dis
More about Jakob Nielsen...
Prioritizing Web Usability Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed Usability Engineering Mobile Usability Eyetracking Web Usability