Start by marking “The Horses of Proud Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Horses of Proud Spirit

The Horses of Proud Spirit

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  21 reviews
There are approximately seven million horses in America. Each year, over seventy thousand are abused, abandoned, and fated to slaughter by callous and irresponsible owners. With a heart as big as a pasture, author Melanie Bowles takes some of these horses into her sanctuary called Proud Spirit. Here, horses that arrive listless and broken find a home where they finally kno ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Pineapple Press

To ask other readers questions about The Horses of Proud Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horses of Proud Spirit

Watership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnimal Farm by George OrwellInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Themed Books
176th out of 429 books — 422 voters
The Princess Bride by William GoldmanFamiliar Scars by Christy Leigh StewartTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoDamaged Goods by Tammy LangCircle of Five by Jan Raymond
Best books for bedtime
54th out of 57 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Ciara
Such touching stories that any horse lover will be hit right in the heart by! Reading about the past lives and rehabilitation of these poor creatures really emphasizes how little humans know about the bond between the human-animal relationships.

Can't give it five stars because after the first two chapters, the narrator gradually begins to show more and more bias about telling the tales of these horses lives. The sympathy I wanted to direct towards these horses stories and recoveries were often d
Sue-Ellen
OK so it's one for the softies, but I must admit I loved every page. The stories are heart warming, sometimes amusing and sometimes sad. The author and her husband run a horse sanctuary for abused and neglected horses in the USA. The author is a very good story teller and has obviously found her passion in life.
Linda
Melanie Sue Bowles is to be commended for her heroic efforts in educating herself about the care of horses. She is proof that determination, perseverance and a deeply abiding love can make anything possible. In this case rescuing and providing loving, cruelty free homes for these most magnificent creatures. It is appalling to learn of the condition in which many of these animals were forced to endure at the hands of their owners. I am gratified to know that Melanie and her husband saved so many ...more
Sharon
I loved this book. I forgot to write a review and am adding it now. The horses in this book are loving horse that have not been given the care they need. Horse lovers will enjoy this book very much and animal lovers will enjoy it just a much.
Cayleigh
. This is a book for animal lovers, definitely don't have to be a horse lover to have these stories really hit the heart strings. This is the story of Melanie, her first horse and how that relationship and the conditions of the horses she viewed when looking to buy a horse that inspired her and her husband to open up their lives to many other horses.
There were, well pretty much every single horse's story really makes you want to doubt humanity. How can people be so cruel to other beings?? The b
Robin Tierney
Very well-written accounts of individual horses rescued from neglect and abuse. Ms. Bowles is a wonderful, wise person and so inspiring.
Daelynleopard
In diesem Buch wird ein Teil einer rührenden Geschichte beschrieben. Ich bewundere Melanie Bowles für das, was sie macht! Ich hoffe, dass es noch mehr Menschen wie sie auf dieser Welt gibt und hoffe, mir von ihr ein Stück abschneiden zu können...
Lisa Schlayer
loved it. very well written and touching!
Susie Kieper
Inspiring. Beautiful. Sad.
Karen
"The Horses Of Proud Spirit" by Melanie Sue Bowles is a remarkable non-fiction book! It tells the story of Melanie who one day wanted to get a horse. She knew next to nothing about caring for a horse and now her husband and her run a no-kill farm for horses. The short stories in "The Horses Of Proud Spirit" range from happy, sad and funny. All will touch your heart. There is a sequel to this book that I plan to get one day. You do not have to own a horse to enjoy this book--an animal lover will ...more
Grace
This book irritated me. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion when it comes to horses (in this case basically just ignore them in a field) but I don't like the way the author criticises any way that isn't hers. Beware, fellow riders, hoof oil is outrageous! Stables are torture! Even riding ends up being ridiculous!
As a person who spends over six hours a day in a barn putting my horses' needs before my own, I did not appreciate a woman who barely even grooms her own horses blasting anyone who
Andy Plonka
Although the author knew nothing about horses when she undertook her project to save old, neglected, or unwanted horses from ending up as a French man's dinner, he compassion and empathy for animals and her eagerness to learn made her a success and a life saver (literally) for a rag tag group of horses that became a herd.
Carol Johnson
A book about a woman who dedicated her life to providing sanctuary for abused/neglected horses. I'm not a horse person...know nothing about horses. But, I wept tears of joy and sadness throughout this book. It's well written, interesting...not sappy or maudlin! Recommended for all animal lovers.
Mary
Sep 23, 2011 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
this book is a must read not only for horse lovers, but for everyone. It is amazing what this woman and her husband has done for our beloved horses. It will make you cry, laugh, and get angry at those who abuse animals.
Kat
Horses have feelings, too and in this book, the author helps horses who been abandoned, abused, and neglected find a loving home with those of their own kind.
Lea Anne
Amazing stories. Thank goodness there are wonderful people out there to help these magnit creatures.
Jessica
I was surprised... I'm not a horse-y sort of person, really at all, but I really enjoyed this book. :)
Karen
A bit preachy and sentimental and had no ending, but fun to read about horses
Cami
Loved it, great for horses and animal lovers alike!
Wellpetusa
Very touching story!
Amy
great, short
Mara Danzer
Mara Danzer marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Deb Stransky
Deb Stransky marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Dinesh
Dinesh marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Kathryn Armstrong
Kathryn Armstrong marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Lauren Lake
Lauren Lake marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Hope Rising: Stories from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Ruffian: Burning From the Start
  • The Horse God Built
  • Funny Cide: How a Horse, a Trainer, a Jockey, and a Bunch of High School Buddies Took on the
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • Sundancer
  • The Outside of a Horse
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Man o' War: A Legend Like Lightning