Start by marking “The Horses of Proud Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Horses of Proud Spirit

The Horses of Proud Spirit

There are approximately seven million horses in the United States. Each year, over 70,000 end up going to slaughter. Hundreds of thousands more are abused, neglected, or abandoned by callous and irresponsible owners. With a heart as big as a pasture, author Melanie Bowles takes some of these horses into her sanctuary called Proud Spirit. Here, horses that arrive listless a ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Pineapple Press

To ask other readers questions about The Horses of Proud Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horses of Proud Spirit

Sue-Ellen
May 06, 2012 Sue-Ellen rated it it was amazing
OK so it's one for the softies, but I must admit I loved every page. The stories are heart warming, sometimes amusing and sometimes sad. The author and her husband run a horse sanctuary for abused and neglected horses in the USA. The author is a very good story teller and has obviously found her passion in life.
Sharon
Jul 22, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I forgot to write a review and am adding it now. The horses in this book are loving horse that have not been given the care they need. Horse lovers will enjoy this book very much and animal lovers will enjoy it just a much.
Cayleigh
Jun 19, 2011 Cayleigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011
. This is a book for animal lovers, definitely don't have to be a horse lover to have these stories really hit the heart strings. This is the story of Melanie, her first horse and how that relationship and the conditions of the horses she viewed when looking to buy a horse that inspired her and her husband to open up their lives to many other horses.
There were, well pretty much every single horse's story really makes you want to doubt humanity. How can people be so cruel to other beings?? The b
Ciara
Feb 17, 2014 Ciara rated it really liked it

Can't give it five stars because after the first two chapters, the narrator gradually begins to show more and more bias about telling the tales of these horses lives. The sympathy I wanted to direct towards these horses stories and recoveries were often d
Linda
Sep 10, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
Melanie Sue Bowles is to be commended for her heroic efforts in educating herself about the care of horses. She is proof that determination, perseverance and a deeply abiding love can make anything possible. In this case rescuing and providing loving, cruelty free homes for these most magnificent creatures. It is appalling to learn of the condition in which many of these animals were forced to endure at the hands of their owners. I am gratified to know that Melanie and her husband saved so many ...more
Lesley
Jul 10, 2012 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal
Melanie Sue Bowles' The Horses Of Proud Spirit is the true story of Melanie's efforts to take in and care fore broken, abused, and neglected horses. Each year, over 70,000 horses in the United States are sent to slaughter; hundreds of thousands more suffer terrible conditions. Proud Spirit is a place where even the most severely hurt animals are given a chance to relearn how to trust, and experience love and companionship with human caretakers and other horses. A noble and inspirational true-lif ...more
Karen & Gerard
"The Horses Of Proud Spirit" by Melanie Sue Bowles is a remarkable non-fiction book! It tells the story of Melanie who one day wanted to get a horse. She knew next to nothing about caring for a horse and now her husband and her run a no-kill farm for horses. The short stories in "The Horses Of Proud Spirit" range from happy, sad and funny. All will touch your heart. There is a sequel to this book that I plan to get one day. You do not have to own a horse to enjoy this book--an animal lover will ...more
Carol Johnson
Jul 30, 2011 Carol Johnson rated it it was amazing
A book about a woman who dedicated her life to providing sanctuary for abused/neglected horses. I'm not a horse person...know nothing about horses. But, I wept tears of joy and sadness throughout this book. It's well written, interesting...not sappy or maudlin! Recommended for all animal lovers.
Andy Plonka
Jun 30, 2012 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it
Although the author knew nothing about horses when she undertook her project to save old, neglected, or unwanted horses from ending up as a French man's dinner, he compassion and empathy for animals and her eagerness to learn made her a success and a life saver (literally) for a rag tag group of horses that became a herd.
Pineapple Press
Reviews from Readers:

"This book is a must read not only for horse lovers, but for everyone."

"Such touching stories that any horse lover will be hit right in the heart by! Reading about the past lives and rehabilitation of these poor creatures really emphasizes how little humans know about the bond between the human-animal relationships."
Mary
Sep 23, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this book is a must read not only for horse lovers, but for everyone. It is amazing what this woman and her husband has done for our beloved horses. It will make you cry, laugh, and get angry at those who abuse animals.
Daelynleopard
In diesem Buch wird ein Teil einer rührenden Geschichte beschrieben. Ich bewundere Melanie Bowles für das, was sie macht! Ich hoffe, dass es noch mehr Menschen wie sie auf dieser Welt gibt und hoffe, mir von ihr ein Stück abschneiden zu können...
Ashley
May 12, 2016 Ashley marked it as to-read
#
NC
Own in hardback.

FS: "I've been thinking about getting a horse, I blurted this out to my husband, Jim, one night while I was making dinner."

LS: "Or maybe, just maybe, this proves that certain incongruities in life can result in miracles taking place right in our own backyard."
Susie Kieper
May 31, 2015 Susie Kieper rated it it was amazing
Inspiring. Beautiful. Sad.
Robin Tierney
Sep 30, 2014 Robin Tierney rated it really liked it
Very well-written accounts of individual horses rescued from neglect and abuse. Ms. Bowles is a wonderful, wise person and so inspiring.
Jessica
May 29, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
I was surprised... I'm not a horse-y sort of person, really at all, but I really enjoyed this book. :)
Lisa Schlayer
Mar 30, 2014 Lisa Schlayer rated it it was amazing
loved it. very well written and touching!
Amy
Jan 08, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
great, short
Cami
Dec 02, 2010 Cami rated it it was amazing
Loved it, great for horses and animal lovers alike!
Lea Anne
Jul 31, 2014 Lea Anne rated it it was amazing
Amazing stories. Thank goodness there are wonderful people out there to help these magnit creatures.
Wellpetusa
Jul 05, 2008 Wellpetusa rated it really liked it
Very touching story!
Karen
Aug 04, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
A bit preachy and sentimental and had no ending, but fun to read about horses
Kat
Oct 12, 2009 Kat rated it it was amazing
Horses have feelings, too and in this book, the author helps horses who been abandoned, abused, and neglected find a loving home with those of their own kind.
Simin
Simin rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Meghan Banke
Meghan Banke rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Miss K M Husselbee
Miss K M Husselbee rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Melanie Bowles
Oct 12, 2009 Melanie Bowles rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Isabel
Isabel rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Debra H Copeman
Debra H Copeman rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Laura Vinal
Laura Vinal rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Hope Rising: Stories from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • The Horse God Built
  • Blind Beauty
  • The Hearts of Horses
  • Sundancer
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Inspirational Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion
  • Mustang: The Saga of the Wild Horse in the American West