Start by marking “Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book” as Want to Read:
Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book

Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book (Madeline)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Based on characters created by Bemelmans, this charming new Madeline title was written by Ludwig's grandson and explores Madeline's take on etiquette. Illustrations.
Published September 10th 2001 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Madeline Says Merci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madeline Says Merci

Kat
If you're a fan of the Madeline series, this is definitely a book to put on your shelf. I love the smaller size of this book in comparison to the classic Madeline hardcover books. Each page contains beautiful, colorful illustrations by Ludwig Bemelmans's grandson, John Bemelmans Marciano. And, of course, the signature rhymes that make Madeline so memorable.

This isn't a typical Madeline book in that it doesn't tell a story. Instead, it's divided into sections that teach young children good manner
Edward Creter
Madeline is BACK!!! This nice book came out years after the death of author Ludwig Belemans and it's a pleasure getting reacquainted with the original joie de vivre girl! Here she leads old and new fans into lessons of kindness, something missing in plenty of kids books these days, and reminds us that being nice and polite has not gone out of style! Even in an age where MTV tells kids to "stop being polite and start being real" I say--WHY BE EITHER? Kindness is IN! It's what the French call "de ...more
Teondra Cichosz
I love the illustrations in the Madeline books. I chose this book because it has a good way of presenting social skills to younger children. It allows you to read certain parts and then talk to the kids about each skill. The book is simple yet full of good information for younger kids.
Eva Kelly
OK, well, I already knew most of the stuff in this one, but I guess it's good to be reminded, and I know some people who need to read this book.
I love the drawings. I've seen other books with these girls in them and have to find more of them.
Li
Very cute book that teaches kids about manners.

Love the callbacks to other Madeline books (bad Hat, Rescue).
Kristine Pratt
Manners! I sound like an old grump when I say kids these day need more manners, but the lessons here are such BASIC things that we were taught as children, which sadly are not taught enough anymore. I would dearly love to see the ideas in this book take root.

Also, found myself thinking that for a child who is autistic, this might be a perfect book to use as a way to teach some basic social skills in a way they can understand. We spent a lot of time working with lessons that reinforce social ski
Mary
Always loved Madeline and this is a lovely story in rhyme.
Karen Dransfield
One of the continuations done by Ludwig's grandson. They keep to the same vibe and feel of the original Madeline. This one is all about manners and what to do, and not to do. Delightful.
Sophie
It is probably my love for things French which makes this book a delight to read.

Everything about this book makes me smile; "Being Sorry's most important part is that it comes straight from the heart".

In this book, simple manners and etiquette are explored using the much loved icon, Madeline. Although this is probably aimed for younger children. I feel that this could be enjoyed by a sparse audience.
Wayne Dunshee
A charming story that teaches good manners. Written by the grandson of the original Madeline books, that keep the original look and feel. A great book to read to your grandchildren over and over.
Jaime
My daughter loves all Madeline books! She even has a little Madeline doll she holds when I read the books to her.
Barbara
Some of the illustrations in this book are reproduced in the Story Park at Worthington Park Library. Hoorah!!
Maren Prestegaard
There's not a storyline to this one but the rhymes are familiar and meaningful too.
We just LOVE Madeline.
Teri
Advice on politeness from Madeline. Got a autographed copy at the Festival of Books yesterday.
Catherine Woodman
not by the original author and certainly a departure
Keizo Ishikawa
この本は子供には、本当にお勧め。毎晩一緒に読んで寝てます。

マナーの良い子に育って欲しい
Molly Shillington Montenaro
Good introduction to etiquette for children.
kate
A darling book of manners for children.
Barb
Aug 02, 2011 Barb added it
love madeline
Jenny Kheng
Jenny Kheng marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Andrea Hatch
Andrea Hatch marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Julia Schmidt
Julia Schmidt marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best
  • Dude, That's Rude! (Get Some Manners)
  • The Berenstain Bears Think of Those in Need (First Time Books)
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • 26 Letters and 99 Cents
  • Mama Panya's Pancakes: A Village Tale from Kenya
  • Sam and the Lucky Money
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
  • I Love My Mommy Because...
  • If You Made a Million
  • 365 Manners Kids Should Know: Games, Activities, and Other Fun Ways to Help Children Learn Etiquette
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • Uncle Jed's Barbershop
  • Freedom Song: The Story of Henry "Box" Brown
  • Mulan (Disney Princess)
  • A Time to Keep
  • Billy Twitters and His Blue Whale Problem
John Bemelmans Marciano carries on the legacy begun by his grandfather, Ludwig Bemelmans, author and illustrator of the Madeline books, with stunning watercolor artwork and playful, energetic storytelling.
More about John Bemelmans Marciano...

Madeline (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Madeline
  • Madeline In America And Other Holiday Tales
  • Madeline Loves Animals
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Madeline at the White House
Madeline and the Cats of Rome Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People behind Everyday Words The Nine Lives of Alexander Baddenfield Madeline at the White House Madeline and the Old House in Paris