Start by marking “Lady of Sin (Seducers spin-off #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady of Sin (Seducers spin-off #2)

Lady of Sin (The Seducers #7)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  595 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Award-winning author Madeline Hunter transports readers back to the scandal and intrigue of nineteenth-century England in the enthralling tale of a magnetically sensual man, a virtuous woman, and a love story that will take your breath away. . . .

She arrives at his home without warning or invitation, determined to win him to her campaign to reform women’s rights. Instead,
Published February 28th 2006 by Dell (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lady of Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady of Sin

Rachel (BAVR)
I'm feeling generous today, so I'll round up my actual 3.5 rating in the star rating.

This book was going so well until I reached the end. The prose was good, the dialogue was some of the best I've read in an HR in quite some time, and the characters were both flawed and sympathetic. So what made me hack off 1.5 stars at the very end of my journey through Lady of Sin? It's hard to narrow it down. Maybe it was the deus ex machina that practically thrust me into insulin shock. Perhaps it was the wa
Ilze
Apr 19, 2011 Ilze rated it really liked it
Shelves: madeline-hunter
Another sensual winner from Madeline Hunter. Really, really enjoyed how the romance developed. A few really nice scenes with characters from "The Seducers" series (the birth of Dante's child and the wedding of Pen and Julian). The plot was quite good - part Oliver Twist, a bit of the 19'th century women's rights movement in England, part road novel. The plot did have a few holes that were glossed over, however, and the final resolution of the problem with the bad guy didn't quite work for me - I ...more
Kelly
Mar 28, 2015 Kelly rated it it was ok
This novel was very much like a disappointing Easter Egg. Wrapped in glistening, shiny foil, sweet and chocolatey – it looks decadent, it is enormous and you just cannot wait to break into it and then… it is empty. Bland. Lacking. Flavourless.

The first few chapters were supremely promising, mostly thanks to the excellent writing style which was both engaging and lively, a style which continued throughout the novel. Unfortunately this was unsupported by unremarkable characters and a plot that
Missy Jane
Jul 30, 2013 Missy Jane rated it it was amazing
The only disappointment I had in this book was that it marked the end of this series. I loved every part of it, though I was surprised by the heroine. Charlotte had seemed to be nothing but a background character for so long I almost forgot about her. I also loved learning more about the lightly mentioned Nathaniel. Together they created the very hot tale of seduction I've come to expect from MH.
Virginia
Aug 31, 2011 Virginia rated it liked it
The streak continues. :) Another good story in Hunter's repertoire. I am, again, a big fan of Nathaniel Knightridge (and his name is pretty cool, too). Charlotte isn't too bad herself. Intriguing story (even if justice seems to meander a bit) and I really liked how each character stuck to their guns but yet considered the other person's feelings and situations as well. A quick and fun read. :)
Christy
Feb 07, 2015 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-own-it-book
I Liked this one a lot, though if I hadn't read the preceding book in the Seducers series I probably wouldn't have picked it up. With the title and cover illustrations, it looks like a romantica book but its really just a fairly hot historical. Great characters and interesting plot. [spoilers removed]
Christine
Jun 09, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
It's always a joy to read anything by Madeline Hunter!

Charlotte and Nathaniel, long-time adversaries and antagonists, realize to their surprise and horror that they are deeply attracted to each other. Charlotte, a widow, likes her quiet and calm life and doesn't welcome the intense feelings that Nathaniel provokes. She's a wonderful heroine, and Hunter really does a terrific job of letting the reader see her come back to life as their relationship develops.

Nathaniel is a great hero. Of course h
P.
Apr 08, 2016 P. rated it did not like it
While pretty well written the plot of this book is morally and ethically repellent. It's the second book I've read where the major characters [the presumed good guys] decided it was OK to deprive a legal heir of his inheritance to suit their own ends. In this book they even let a murderer go free to suit the same, and, smaller point, to decide that the vicar who performed the marriage that led to this legal heir just isn't a good enough witness - even though he also has the marriage lines which ...more
Cherie
Oct 16, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my third time through this book. I recently re-read The Sinner (also by Madeline Hunter) and skipped to this book because it contains a update on Dante and Fleur. Actually, the first time I read this book Dante and Fleur had such an impact on me that I had to find their story. Here is what impressed me:

Charlotte is Dante's younger sister and Fleur is in labor and has been for quite awhile. The women are nervous because Fleur has lost the energy to push and they are worried for both her l
Junipaurora
Oct 15, 2012 Junipaurora rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all romance readers who want to read a good story with mature, flesh-and-blood characters
Visit here to read this review with spoilers.
“It does not matter that you choose not to speak. I do not need words to know everything about you.”
*sighs girlishly* This is a typical but very good Madeline Hunter novel. It has good, solid characters, witty dialogue, delicious scenes and intriguing emotional depth. So far I have read books from Hunter’s Rarest Blooms, Rothwell and Seducer series and I think the last one, which this book is a spin-off of, is the best.

First off, the hero and the he
Diane Sallans
Oct 01, 2011 Diane Sallans rated it really liked it
Lady of Sin is the story of one of the characters who briefly appears in Lord of Sin, but they could be read as stand-alone books. Charlotte, the widowed Baroness Mardenford (Lady M) has been going thru the six years since her widowhood in a cocoon resisting most emotions. In this story she gets shaken out of what she thought she wanted in a comfortable life. She & Nathaniel Knightridge have always had a remote adversarial relationship. She asks his assistance because of his oratorical skill ...more
sara mcquigg
Dec 27, 2014 sara mcquigg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well thought out sensual romance

The book began quickly. A must if I am to get past the sample. Descriptive narrative and interesting characters completed an excellent read.
Lucimar
Mar 21, 2014 Lucimar rated it really liked it
Shelves: amante, viuva, advogado
Livro muito bom, com uma mocinha-viúva que cansada de uma vida sem graça se que entrega a uma noite de paixão com um advogado da corte, honesto e justo, muito cavalheiro e generoso que luta pela justiça do lado dos mais fracos. Mocinho mega carinhoso que faz tudo por sua companheira. Os bons momentos cheios de paixão tornam este uma boa leitura.
Christine
Jan 03, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Let's be honest-few of us read romance novels for the great writing, intricate plot twists or deep character development. We read them for the romance and (almost always) happy endings. They are 'feel good' reads and it has been awhile since I read one.

I really enjoyed this book-the title characters were likable and there was enough of a plot (beyond the romance) that kept me interested all the way through the book. The love scenes weren't over the top or too explicit (so this can appeal to a w
Cphe

It's been a few years since I read this and found that I enjoyed it just as much the second time around. I love this authors writing style and how she presents her characters on the page.

This contains the relationship between Charlotte Mardenford (Lady M) and the wonderful Nathaniel Knightsbridge. Both characters have their flaws and strengths. For me it was Nathaniel who made such a wonderful hero. Born to wealth and privilege he also advocates for those far less priviledged than himself.

Other
Keri
Jan 19, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it
This one was a really good one. I just knew that the sparks that Charlotte and Nathanial were throwing off one another was more than just anger. Charlotte doesn't want Nathanal to think too hard about some things as he might discover all her secrets. I loved this book and thought that it was pretty intense. I loved the entire series as a whole. The spinoffs felt incomplete though, because Colin, Adrian's brother didn't get a book and Bride's sisters didn't get their stories. Darn it! 4 Stars of ...more
Maryanne
enjoyable fluff
Kit
Jul 23, 2009 Kit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adored
Rounding up from 4.5. I remember reading The Romantic and thinking "it's so obvious that Charlotte and Nathaniel will have their own story-so much chemistry!". Lady of Sin was exactly what I thought the story would look like. Both Charlotte and Nathaniel were excellently written. I was grateful and enjoyed the peak into Dante and Fleur's life from thier story. A very toucing sceene.
Madeline Hunter's characters in this series were highly intelligent and had interesting lives. I have enjoyed it g
Elaine
Jul 20, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!
Antonio Rodrigez
Dec 09, 2012 Antonio Rodrigez rated it it was amazing
i love this book, this book when i took it out of the libaray i picked it up started reading and could not put it down. i was always saying to myself no she diden't what what happends next ? and i tell u she (madeline hunter)became my fav author and now im trying to get all her booksi have two books from her lady of sin and provocative in pearls i will tell u how that goes im going to start readinv that one today.
Cecilia
Jul 27, 2012 Cecilia rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
This isn't the most memorable book, it's true. I read it when it came out, and on rereading it, did not remember any significant details of plot or character. However, it was still an engrossing read to me. A little slow-paced, sure, but I like it when characters actually take their time. The mystery subplot was well-integrated as well, and did not involve any TSTL shenanigans.
Lee
Sep 03, 2008 Lee rated it really liked it
Historical romance..they dislike each other intensely at first but anyone who has ever read these knows that's about to change. What made this one different was their trying to find out answers to some questions along the road in their affair. Warning - some pretty explicit sex scenes.
Loudice
Before I read the first paragraph, I knew Charlotte and Nathaniel was the couple at Lyndale's party! lol...

The story was ok...I found some parts vague and confusing...I loved the reference to Julian and Penelope's wedding, and of course, I loved the parts which featured Lyndale in them!
Kathi Sharp
Sep 06, 2010 Kathi Sharp rated it it was amazing
The story of Charlotte, Lady Mardenford and Nathaniel Knightridge is moving, complicated and surprisingly funny. Madeline Hunter doesn't disappoint!
Rachell Nichole
Jun 20, 2013 Rachell Nichole rated it it was amazing
Well-written deep, and lovely. Charlotte, a widow who shared a debauched night in the arms of bachelor Nathaniel, must come to terms with embracing her desires, setting her past right, and not being branded a woman of scandal.
Mell
Jan 18, 2014 Mell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book- and I am done with this series. For me, romance novels get very repetitive, and this series had little new stuff to offer me as a reader. I fulfilled my obligation of giving it a try.
LorettaLynn
Apr 26, 2011 LorettaLynn rated it really liked it
This book kept me reading
It isnt like most lords and ladys
A bit dinffernt but on a good side.If you enjoy reading Lords and Ladys
This one is one to pick up
I enjoyed it quit alot:)

Happy Reading
Nanette
Nov 30, 2012 Nanette rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, analyze
Didn't finish. It was just not that interesting. Good book to read and ponder why that was so. About charlotte the youngest leclerc and knigghtsbridge (a lawyer for the downtrodden)
Elle
Jan 09, 2012 Elle rated it really liked it
I'm so glad Hunter decided to write Nathaniel's story. I thought he was very intriguing in Lord of Sin, so it was nice to learn more about him.
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • Touch Me with Fire: A Novel
  • Lessons From a Courtesan
  • Duke of Scandal (Duke Trilogy, #2)
  • Once Upon a Wedding Night (The Derrings, #1)
  • The Taming of the Duke (Essex Sisters, #3)
  • The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #2)
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • My Reckless Surrender
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Web of Love (Web, #2)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)
  • Portrait of a Lover (American Heiresses, #5)
  • Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)
Madeline Hunter is a nationally bestselling author of historical romances who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two sons. Her books have won two RITA awards and seven nominations, and have had three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. In a parallel existence to the one she enjoys as a novelist, Madeline has a Ph.D. in art history and teaches at an East Coast university.
More about Madeline Hunter...

The Seducers (7 books)
  • The Seducer (Seducers #1)
  • The Saint (Seducers #2)
  • The Charmer (Seducers #3)
  • The Sinner (Seducers #4)
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • Lord of Sin (Seducers spin-off, #1)

“Forgive me. It was stupid of me to think you might need company, when clearly all you required was that decanter.”

“It was not stupid. It was very kind. Quite soft, actually. A very warm, womanly gesture. I am touched.” He smiled softly. “However, if you truly want to help, if you really want to distract me, there are better ways. When I saw that dress, I dared hope you had realized that.”
1 likes
“All the same, we should excuse ourselves," Vergil said. "Although I am wondering if the meeting was already well concluded when we intruded." He gave Nathaniel a deep look on the last sentence that made Charlotte's caution prickle. She saw the big brother in him, thinking that a private chat with this man was in order.

Bianca still had not picked up the cue. "You are making plans regarding the petitions?"

"I trust that a petition came up at some point in the visit," Vergil said dryly. "Correct, Knightridge?"

Charlotte wanted to die. "Indeed one did," she said. "Mr. Knightridge is proving to be a great help in the cause."

Bianca beamed. "I always knew that the two of you would find common ground in something."

"Yes, we have discovered that we think alike in one small area," Nathaniel agreed.

Charlotte wanted to hit him.

"Indeed," Vergil muttered.”