Start by marking “Nagash the Sorcerer” as Want to Read:
Nagash the Sorcerer

Nagash the Sorcerer (Time of Legends: Rise of Nagash #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Two millennia before the time of Sigmar, the Nehekharan empire flourished in the hot desert lands far to the south of the Old World. Unbeknown to its people, this mighty kingdom is about to be shaken to its very foundations, when a quest for ultimate power will damn the land and its people forever.

Next in the ground breaking Time of Legends series, Mike Lee tells the bitte
Published August 26th 2008 by Games Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Nagash the Sorcerer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nagash the Sorcerer

Kris43
This felt like a jumbled mess. Very confusing at times. It uses skipping between two timelines. The problem is, that is sometimes hard to tell between them.

I really liked Nagash and his original timeline. So, we get to know how he was fighting the lizard men and how his father died and...Then you get a sudden time switch and no more interesting Nagash, instead 200 years later, we witness grueling battle... And so it skips all the time.

The other timeline felt forced and I didn't want to read abo
Marc
Very disappointing, and I blame BL who seem to be fostering this jumping back and forth between the past (the really interesting part but only 1/3 of the book) and the "present" which has very little to do with the main plot. Yes, there are battles and thanks for letting us know about Khemri culture, but that's not why I bought the book! Give more on Nagash (since you skipped his childhood and teen years), and give him a bit more depth of character!
Terence
Nagash the sorcerer follows the exploits of one of the Warhammer worlds most horrific monsters(And in the setting of warhammer thats saying alot) and power sorcerers, who even thousands of years after his reign could contend with the likes of Teclis and Malekith, indeed contrary to most forms of thought in the warhammer world at the time(and thousands after) Nagash's very existence dispels the thought that humans could not wield the powers of magic as the elder races, however this comes at a pri ...more
Stu
"Sweeping, grand and epic. Vile, horrific and sorcerific. I hope you enjoy those analogies, as they all fit in well with the narrative."

Two millennia before Sigmar, the Nehekaran empire stood emblazoned in the south of the Old World. The core of the story is really two-fold. Firstly you have present is how Nagash actually became a necromancer and his subjugation conquering of the various Nehekara cities (set around -1900 by Imperial reckoning). The early sections revolve around Nagash and his r
Mat
The barrier to entry on this book was high. Very high.

I originally bought it because the copy at the local Gaming Store was printed improperly. The cover was inside out. I knew that no one would buy such a sorry book.

I bought the book in a fit of altruism and loyalty to a hobby store that had helped me out for 3 years at Fort Bragg, NC.

I also asked for 10% off due to the poor condition of the print. When they refused, I bought the book, fearing their gazes if I were to put it back.

Right.

Well.

Tha
Kaohlir
A superb tale of the rise and fall of the vile Priest King Nagash. Full of riveting action-sequences, the novel sets a fast, yet steady pace, following the ill-fated campaigns of the loyal Kings of Nehekhara, in defiance to the Usurpur`s Undead Hosts. Punctuated by interesting chapters, before the storm of the Undead is unleashed upon the land of men, detailing the origins of the Necromancer`s Art and his claim upon the Throne of Khemri; Nagash the Sorcerer is a classic Fantasy tale, enjoyable ...more
Strifeshadow
How ironic that a book about the dreaded necromancer Nagash feels so... lifeless.

Each chapter is wash-rinse-repeat. Wash-rinse-repeat.

As the story itself focuses on the rebel kings and their war against the usurper of Khemri, the book is overladen with battles. Really dull, boring battles. Mike Lee makes absolutely no attempt to differentiate any one skirmish from another, and the reader is left to wade through solid walls of dull action and info-dumps like a zombie in the desert.

I expected mor
Craig Little
As gaming tie-in fiction, I didn't have especially high expectations for this. The book exceeded them.

The book interleaved two stories, one on the rise of a dark power, and the other being the rebellion and military campaign against that power.

I think Lee would have been better off presenting the story in chronological order rather then going for the interleaved approach. I realize that Black Library house style is to start in an action sequence, but story should have prioritised over style.

Also
Matthias
Das Warhammer Universum ist an sich schon sehr vielschichtig und groß. Die Geschichte von Nagash ist darin nicht nur sehr Schicksalsträchtig für den Rest der alten Welt, sondern auch spannend zu erzählen. Besonders an der Handlung ist zum einen, dass der Protagonist weder ein Held, noch ein Antiheld ist, sondern ein Bösewicht. Trotzdem kann der Leser eine Beziehung zu ihm aufnehmen. Manchmal fiebert man mit der Figur und manchmal fühlt man sich abgestoßen von dieser Verbindung. Insofern sehr int ...more
Erik Dolgos
I think the way Mike Lee wrote this book was the best way it could have been done. Having this book be entirely from the point of view of Nagash would not have as effective at making us feel the atrocities that he committed, because this book was just as much about the fall of Khemri as it was the rise of Nagash. I know some people bemoan the description of Khemri culture, but in order for the reader to truly realize the horror of what he did you have see all the decadence and wealth and watch i ...more
Nicholas
With this novel you get two stories for the price of one. First there is the story of Nagash's descent into entanglement with dark sorcery and his rise to rulership of the kingdom of Khemri. Then there is the story of a war between Nagash as king of Khemri and several of his rival kings. Unfortunately these two stories are intertwined in such a way that it can be confusing, especially since many characters are involved in both storylines, you have to keep careful track of which storyline is bein ...more
Afton Gray
Not a terrible book but not worth reading again in my opinion, not a whole lot of character building or detail, the timeline going back and forth is a little confusing, and NOT ENOUGH NAGASH. The story needed more Nagash chapters, those chapter are actually pretty good but it seemed as though most of the story was about the rebelling cities fighting against Nagash's undead army. I'd put two and a half stars but that's not an option, anyway overall an annoying but entertaining book.
Batsap
Took me over half the book to really get into this one. The battle scenes were very repetitive as were the flashbacks. If I stopped reading in the middle of the chapter and went to find my place later, it was difficult to distinguish between which page I had read and which I hadn't because it was all so similar in tone and content. I did enjoy it more as the book went on though.
Nagash was a good character. In one conversation he refers to the other kings as 'rebel kings' and after that it was im
Christian
Mike Lee has it. He has the epic vision that brings together powerful personalities in conflict, the Ancient Egyptian feel and the epic battle scenes in a rich, fast paced story. Nagash, THE Necromancer in the Old World rises to power by treachery fuelled ambition and dares pit himself against the gods. Neighbouring Priest Kings muster great armies to cast the Usurper down. What follows is simply Biblical.
David
Overall it was a pretty good read.Lots of action, magic and fighting. There were several big army fights (which I enjoy when I read fantasy).

There were a lot of interesting monsters and ideas. I liked the sphinxes guarding the city Mahrak. I also liked the whole concept of the Ushabti (holy warriors that take on the likeness of their gods animal).

I found some parts a little disheartening, I mean nothing the 'good' guys did ever worked. They were continually beaten and it honestly made me a littl
Paul
Nagash is a priest who is angered by his station in life. Nehekharans are ruled in city states led by priest kings. The priest kings offer up their first born to serve the gods to honor a pact made long ago with the people of the desert. Nagash serves as high preist in the mortuary cult, and he hungers for more power.After the death of his father Nagash begins planning his betrayal. Dark Elf sorcerers fall into his hands and he holds them prisoner. Learning the dark arts from them in return for ...more
Stacey
I've read some other reviews of this that mention it's a bit confusing to follow the time lines and such, which to a point is true, but I really don't think that takes anything away from to enjoyment of the story at all. Once you get to grips with what's happening when and where, and by whom (And you will, it's really not that difficult) it's a great fantasy novel that really drags you into the world of Warhammer. I would only fault this on one thing and that's the repetative descriptions of bat ...more
Simon Mcaleney
I heart the undead.

Let their cries chill the living...

I am personlly a huge fan of the great necromancer's works, though I would prefer the liber mortis or one of the books of nagash, I can settle for a warhammer novel.
I highly recommend this book, it has everything a fantasy fan wants, zombies, wizards, desert gods, evil high priests, even a black pyramid (mummy , but really, I greatly enjoyed this book, and I highly recommend it.
Joey
Nagash the sorcerer was good but was very confusing. The books story line was horrible it jumped into the past too much. Also the nagash was not so much as a tyrant as he was a murderer. I expected much more from the book, but I hope the other books are better. Finally the immortals were not immortal they could die which defeated the purpose of an immortal.
Vicky
Really, really badly written. the story of the rise and fall of Nagash could have been entertaining and exciting. Instead it was like trying to walk through quicksand. I was determined to finish it in the hopes it got better. Sadly, it did not. I would be quite happy never to read another battlescene ever again.
Jonathan
I liked this book but I was surprised how much trouble I had following the leaps back and forth in time.

Overall I liked the plot and the action. It will be interesting to see what the next one holds...
Damian
It wasn't bad, mebbe a bit long-winded on occasion. Didn't really empathise with any characters. Wish I could 've for Nagash but he just seemed too elusive.
Chris Mulkey
A solid book, I really enjoyed reading it. A bit cliche here and there, but can't expect too much. Also I love how absolutely brutal Nagash is.
Jim
Aug 03, 2013 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
My introduction to Warhammer Fantasy. Battles and treachery aplenty. I'll be seeing the Rise of Nagash books through to the end.
Patt
Best of the Nagash books by far huge battles and Nagash is perfectly portrayed as an incredibly powerful being
Christoph Weber
Good start to the final time of legends trilogy

Gabriel
It lagged at times, but overall it was pretty good. I cannot wait to see Nagash again.
Jacob Stiver
Mike Lee is right up there with Abnett and McNeill.
Travis
Just didn't keep me engaged.
  • Malekith
  • Heldenhammer
  • Manslayer
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter
  • Giantslayer
  • Gotrek and Felix: The Anthology
  • Fell Cargo (Warhammer)
Mike Lee is an author, scriptwriter and game designer whose most recent credits include Fallen Angels, the latest installment in Black Library Publishing’s best-selling Horus Heresy series, and the dark fantasy epic Nagash the Sorcerer. Along with UK author Dan Abnett, Mike also wrote the five-volume Chronicles of Malus Darkblade, whose signature character has become a cult favorite among fans of ...more
More about Mike Lee...

Time of Legends: Rise of Nagash (5 books)
  • Nagash The Unbroken
  • Nagash Immortal
  • The Rise of Nagash
  • Picking the Bones
Fallen Angels The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade Volume One The Daemon's Curse Bloodstorm Reaper of Souls