Start by marking “The Great Brownie Taste-Off (Yolanda's Yummery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Great Brownie Taste-Off (Yolanda's Yummery, #1)

The Great Brownie Taste-Off (Yolanda's Yummery #1)

Yolanda Carter comes from a family of artisans and lives in her deceased grandparent's cottage in Sherman Oaks, California. She works at a small cat shelter but dreams of owning a bakery. Her friend from high school, Teagan Mishkin, knows that Yolanda needs money and suggests better paying work as a cocktail waitress. The interview takes an unexpected turn and she stumbles ...more
Published April 29th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Great Brownie Taste-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Brownie Taste-Off

Sharon
Aug 15, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
E-book gifted by author for review

Yolanda Carter, has a passion, that passion is baking. From an early age she has always loved to create food that delights the senses and whets the appetite. She dreams of opening her own shop and it is her dream that helps her stumble on a plot to shut down a cattery where she works to help look after and find homes for her furry feline friends. A friend of Yolanda's suggests that she applies for a job in a bar to help realise her dream. When she goes to apply
Cheryl
Jun 07, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yolanda Carter loves to show her creative side with her delicious pastries. That and her cat friendly treats (home made, of course). Yolanda dreams of one day opening Yolanda Yummery's. For now, Yolanda's clients are the cats at the cat shelter. Yolanda learns that the cat shelter might be going soon. Yolanda knows she has to do something to save the shelter. She decides to have a brownie taste off. Yum, who doesn't love a fresh, warm, home made brownie. I know I do.

This book was a sweet, quick
Michelle
Jul 28, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Good beach read.
Linda
Dec 13, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
I had a problem getting drawn into this story. Ms. Maliga spent way too much time describing scenes, apparel, and what street or route Yolanda took to work, her friend’s house, or back home again. None of this moved the story forward and seemed to be added for word count value alone. Yolanda’s boyfriend Zac was an egotistical slump who cared more about himself than anyone else. He holds himself in high regard being the golf pro at Green Palms Mini Golf Course. Yep, you got it. He is the pro at a ...more
Donna
Feb 23, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
Yolanda dreams of owning a Yummery. What is a Yummery, you ask. A Yummery is a bakery/café where no matter what you eat, it is yummy. Only problem is, she doesn't have the money to open her own business and will never have enough working for $9/hr at a cat shelter. Yolanda's friend Teagan offers her a solution: work with her as a cocktail waitress at Wicked Fun Gentlemans Club. When Yolanda goes for an interview she finds out the job involves stripping and she won't do that. While there, she ...more
Diana Long
Jul 21, 2015 Diana Long rated it it was ok
A magical cat, sweet treats, the makings of a very imaginative story but as far as being entertained I was sadly not. I have no doubt that the author is indeed creative and very passionate about writing and I hope she continues along that path. I will begin with the parts I really enjoyed in the story, I thought the dream scenarios were highly entertaining and that the story was going to pick up, until it came to light that they were just that...dreams. I'm glad Yolanda realized that her ...more
Paige Babb
Jan 10, 2015 Paige Babb rated it did not like it
I was intending on giving this book two stars based completely on the fact that I adore cats, but I just couldn't do it and consider myself honest about how I feel about the book.

The descriptions were long, I didn't need to know every tiny detail about how she was baking, what she baked, and what she was wearing when it had no impact on the story.

The dialogue between Zac and Yolanda was not what I would have expected from two people who have been in a relationship together for almost a year. T
Julie Barrett
Apr 02, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
The Great Brownie Taste-off (The Yolanda's Yummery Series Book 1)
Yolanda works at an animal shelter but she really wants her own bakery. Just reading about some of the ways she decorates her cupcakes make me very hungry but I think also they would look tooo pretty to eat.
Her friend gets her an interview at a gentleman's club where she ends up typing a letter-for the takeover of the cat shelter. She goes back the next day and makes a deal with the boss, her brownies vs the freeze and bake co. an
Shanelle
Mar 31, 2016 Shanelle rated it did not like it
I felt the characters lack depth.
The story itself was everywhere.
I was extremely put off by how the black characters were portrayed in this. There were only two and they made small appearances. They were just side characters, but I don't get why they were both angry. The woman that passed Yolanda glared at her for no reason. It wasn't even explained. And this black guy got a brownie from her. He tells her how he was angry all week and this brownie makes him feel better. It's cool to have black c
Piepie Beuttel
Mar 29, 2016 Piepie Beuttel rated it it was ok
The first chapter of this book held a lot of promise and potential, but I thought a lot of information was unnecessary, such as describing Yolanda's house and the highway drive she took from point A to point B. I mean, really... who cares?? Her boyfriend Zac was an absolute @sswipe, and her friend Teagan wasn't much better. Additionally, this story was in dire need of some editing, and because of that at times it was hard to read. In the end, I found a lot of this story to be cheesy and ...more
J.J. Lair
Oct 13, 2015 J.J. Lair rated it liked it
Yolanda works with cats, owns cat, wants to own a bakery. Her boyfriend Zac is non-committal.
This started out simple enough. A young woman with a goal. As a reader, I have my conflict early and I like that. The scene where she applies for a job with Teegan's employer is when the story really goes into effect. The story of the contest is well done. We have some suspense and we have a villian to root against.

The contest is over with 25% of the book to go. The end wraps things up, but I waited fo
Elizabeth Robbins
Oct 22, 2014 Elizabeth Robbins rated it it was amazing
Yum! I love a good brownie almost as much as I love a good book! When that book is offered FREE on Amazon as the first book in a series.....well, thats even better than free samples in a bakery! I really enjoy bakery-fiction, cupcake-tales, chocolate-romance (? lol?) . Okay, okay, my metaphors are falling flat...but this book inspired me to try to be a little creative with my review. I really enjoyed this first installment of Yolanda's Yummery, and I'll be starting the next book immediately.
Kathi
Mar 22, 2015 Kathi rated it liked it
Sweet

I'm not sure who the target audience is, perhaps teenagers? It was too light for my taste. While the description of working in a cat shelter is fairly accurate, I don't get the impression that the author particularly likes cats and I wonder why she chose that type of non profit.

In places the grammar and sentence structure was stilted. This jolted me out of the story when I had to go back and re-read to get the author's meaning.
PelicanFreak
Jan 19, 2015 PelicanFreak rated it it was ok
I tried... and tried and tried... then I read other books, came back to this one and tried some more. I tried so hard, so many times to get into this book and then I realized that it shouldn't be so much work. Reading should be enjoyed not forced. And so, I gave up. This book has a VERY slow start and is very predictable. Also, I found it boring. I found it to be fairly well written with well developed characters - just not for me.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
Dec 24, 2015 Tabitha Ormiston-Smith rated it did not like it
Shelves: review
This book is a bloodbath of grievously mediocre writing. In fact it's worse - littered with dangling modifiers, sentence fragments and ohm the ghastly, monotonous, obsessive, pointless description of absolutely everything, it reads like the composition of a primary school child.

The actual story, if you can stand the poor writing, is engaging, and is nicely rounded off at the end... right up to the dishonest, unprofessional cliffhanger ending.
P.S. Winn
Dec 07, 2014 P.S. Winn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a different read with a lot going in. Yolanda Carter loves to bake and she also takes care of cats. Her ultimate dream is to have her own bakery. Although she has a bake-off contest the money raised is used to help the cats and Yolanda still has to find a way to get her bakery going. What she uses is an interesting surprise. This book is an okay read, although I do like the writer's style and am looking forward to reading some of her numerous works.
Katja H
Dec 14, 2015 Katja H rated it it was ok
It was a cute idea and the book wasn't really bad but it wasn't good either. The plot was too smooth, nothing ever went wrong and every one got their happy ending in the end. Except for the jerky boyfriend of course. the writing style was nice but the author spent way too much time describing mundane actions such as feeding cats or driving somewhere. overall a nice read if you want something quick and easy.
Darcysmom
Dec 15, 2014 Darcysmom rated it liked it
Yolanda works at a cat shelter and dreams of opening her own "yummery" (her term for the yummy goodness she will bake for her customers). Through several twists and turns and some prophetic dreams, Yolanda strives to make her dream a reality.
I had higher hopes for the story than were actually delivered. I think there is a lot of potential for the series. Hopefully the next book will be better realized.
Storyhelix Words
Feb 13, 2016 Storyhelix Words rated it liked it
This book was based off of a true story, and just as importantly, a true recipe. The book inspires people to go after their dreams, sympathizes with them over the waiting that needs to happen before the dream come true, and celebrates justice by making the good people get rewarded while the liars and cheaters are taken down. It's a quick read and anyone would enjoy the brownies at the end.
Ness
Nov 11, 2015 Ness rated it liked it
I read a review that the author put too much unnecessary description, this may have influenced my enjoyment because I tended to agree.
It was an okay read, not sure if I will read the whole series.
Though I do feel like eating a brownie now :)
Sherry
Nov 16, 2014 Sherry rated it liked it
I was disappointed with the abrupt ending to the book. I realize it was an attempt to move the reader to the second book, but it was, for me, just annoying! other than that, the book was an enjoyable read.
Cathy Biggerstaff
Jan 22, 2016 Cathy Biggerstaff rated it liked it
The book left me hanging. I guess they thought it would entice you to buy the next book in the series, but it turned me off and I doubt I'll read any more of them.
Vickie
Sep 17, 2015 Vickie rated it did not like it
Okay I tried and just couldn't get into it. Lots of pointless descriptions and chatter. Maybe I will try again just not today.
Jeannie
Jan 23, 2015 Jeannie rated it liked it
Seemed forced in some areas. This was an easy read though. I did get the second one, hoping it will be a bit better.
Isis Ray-sisco
Isis Ray-sisco rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Phyllis Tanski
Phyllis Tanski rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
May 29, 2015
Gale Theberge
Gale Theberge rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2015
Daniel W.
Daniel W. rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Jenny
May 20, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4 stars
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #145 - The Great Brownie Taste-Off 1 1 Jul 28, 2016 02:18PM
  • Before He Was A Secret (Starstruck #3)
  • Beneath Beautiful
  • The Space Beyond (The Book of Phoenix, #2)
  • Tin
  • Rings On Her Fingers (Psychic Seasons #1)
  • The Curious Cat Spy Club (Curious Cat Spy Club, #1)
  • The War Bride
  • Simmering Season
  • A Valley Experience (Inspirational Life Experiences, #1)
  • Love and Happiness
  • Beyond the Sun (Dark Order of the Dragon, #1)
  • A Good Year for a Corpse (Susan Henshaw, #7)
  • The Perfect Clone (The Perfect Clone, #1)
  • After Rafaela
  • Bound to Survive (The Magic Within, #1)
  • Wyn (The Blood Vivicanti #2)
  • The Night Serpent
  • Release By Treaty (Qui Treaty Collection, #1)
Lisa Maliga is an American author of contemporary fiction, psychological thrillers and cozy mysteries. Her nonfiction titles consist of how to make bath and body products with an emphasis on melt and pour soap crafting. Her nickname is The Midnight Soaper as that’s her preferred soaping time. When researching her latest cozy mystery, she discovered the art of baking French macarons. She’s ...more
More about Lisa Maliga...

Yolanda's Yummery (3 books)
  • Magical Cakes of Love (Yolanda's Yummery, #2)
  • The Aroma of Love (Yolanda’s Yummery, #3)