Start by marking “Assumed Identity” as Want to Read:
Assumed Identity

Assumed Identity

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  924 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This is the story of Brendon Buchanan, undercover intelligence operative and master of over two hundred false identities: a man forced to assume the most elusive and treacherous identity of all--his own. Tracking the most devastating conspiracy he has ever encountered, trapped by his love of two enigmatic, beautiful women, he will race through a sinister labyrinth of intri ...more
Published January 1st 1994 by Headline Book Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Assumed Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assumed Identity

Mika O'Donovan
Assumed Identity is an spy thriller that explores the question of identity for a man whose life has consisted for years of being anyone but himself. The action and thriller components of the novel sit right in Morrell's wheelhouse, and the plot is fairly entertaining, but overall it falls short of Morrell's usual standard of popcorn fun.

I found the mechanics of the writing to be incredibly weak and lazy. Rather than illustrate characters' responses through dialog or action, Morrell simply slaps
Greer Andjanetta
What could have been a good story is spoiled by inferior writing. Much of the story takes place in Yucatan but the author manages to give the impression that he maybe spent a week there and decided to locate his story there based on his interest and vast knowledge of the area. Some of his facts are correct but rain forests in Yucatan?, Cancun situated on the northeast coast of the peninsula?? His use of street names inCancun centro seems an weak affectation rather than a pertinent detail. The bo ...more
Dale
A good read, not Morrell's best work.

No one writes better than Morrell when it comes to the "fugitive" novel - one man hunted by many in a cross-country chase.

In Assumed Identity , a military intelligence deep cover operative has been accidentally exposed and an operation goes sour. Soon, the operative is being blackmailed and chased by an attractive reporter and the unwanted attention causes the operative's handlers to "terminate" a number of people and the operative comes to believe that his
K1d2
A bit slow at the start as you get introduced to the characters, but then it takes off. A exhilarating roller-coaster ride with characters who would be great to follow through other books.
Cindy Barnett
Espionage tale with a well drawn cast. Narrated well by Ed Asner. Kept up my interest.Recommended. ©2008
W. Nicol
This story rattles along at an astounding pace; very enjoyable as long as one doesn't pause to examine the credibility of either plot or characters.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Enjoyable. Interesting and complex hero.
Susan
Enjoyed the action.
Washefuzzy
A little long winded but still a lot of suspense and action for me to loose myself in.
Hope Barrett
A recent reread that offered the absolutely intriguing character of a woman who is willing to take herself to the extremes of being a street person in order to 'hide' from her rich benefactor/husband. But although much of the story is about the search for her — she never reappears. Morrell writes a great tale of the loner and his obligation to the 'agency' but the most interesting characters were not the main ones.
Johnny Williams
This is my first David Morrell book-- and i have to say it was just a little disappointing although my book reader friends tell me to sample some more because he writes better than this-- so I will-- but this one is not the appetizer I was hoping for-- a little too contrived and unbelievable-- hops around without a lot of connective tissue if you will--
Orville
I liked it. I thought the book flowed pretty well and the character of Brendan Buchanan was interesting. As some have said, the ending is a bit shaky... but that is if you view this book as a stand-alone. When viewed as the beginning of a trilogy, it begins to build a strong foundation. I just wish the other two would be written.
Lori Hanken
It has been a long time since I have read a book in under 24 hours. With hectic schedules with work and the kids there isn't time.

This book grabbed me at the very beginning with mystery and suspense. It was very fast paced. Even though I enjoyed it, I only gave it a 3. The ending (which I will not spoil) was disappointing to me.
Zoë
I didn't find it as good as the other books of his I've read, but it was still an interesting read. The end was a bit frustrating because of the loose ends that were left (view spoiler) but it was acceptable.
Naomi
I really enjoyed the main character's problem of keeping his identites straight as a special forces officer protecting the country's interests. He tried to find out who he really was as a human being having lost himself in his assignments as a real person. The plot was also very interesting.
David Roberts
It was decent, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. There is a limit to how far you can stretch a book of this sort. They need to be at least semi-believable and this book went over the line. Where Mallory excels is creating the personalities.
Bentley
First, and probably last, book by Morrell I will ever read. I found the book very interesting at first and was hoping for a great conclusion, but the ending is the most absurd thing I think I've ever read.
Mom
Jul 06, 2008 Mom rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who love action/suspense
Recommended to Mom by: librarian
I learned there is no limit to an author's imagination and any character can endure what the author wants.
Intense characters, action galore,deeply entrenched intrigue.
Left me exhausted from the suspense...
Shae Johnnson
Very Cussler-like with the history of places included, but Morrell weaves a story of intrigue that keeps the reader reading and guessing how all the parts and people are intertwined.
Michelle
This book was a little hard to get into but once I did it was worth the wait. I found it to be very Clive Cussleresque. The story lines and writing style are very similar.
Deb
I really liked this story. Sometimes it was a little tedious, too much information. But on the whole, I really enjoyed it.
William Powell
David Morrell is an awesome writer. So far, I'm thinking Assumed Identity isn't his best work.
Greg
Deserves three and a half stars. It was OK. Better than some of Morrell's and weaker than others.
Bev
This was my first book by this author. I will definitely read more of his books.
Jess Mortensen
read this book because Blake liked this author. he wrote First Blood (Rambo movies)
JoAnne Pulcino
ASSUMED IDENTITY

David Morrell

LOVED this book! His first in a new genre for him
Kel
Finished it last night. Another good read.

Megan
I really enjoyed this super actiony book!
Petar
Not satisfied with ending... :-(
Patricia Lundstrom
Interesting lot -lot of detail
  • Matisse the Master: The Conquest of Colour, 1909-1954
  • Floating City (Nicholas Linnear, #5)
  • Snow Falcon (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • The White House Connection
  • The Omega Command  (Blaine McCracken, #1)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #5)
  • Forests of the Night: A Novel
  • Flavor of the Month
  • An Absence Of Light
  • The Talbot Odyssey
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Zero Option
  • Inadmissible Evidence
  • Red Tide (Frank Corso, #4)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...
The Brotherhood of the Rose (Mortalis, #1) First Blood Creepers Murder as a Fine Art The Fraternity Of The Stone