The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  47 reviews
A collection of original stories by acclaimed writers, including Jan Morris, Tim Cahill, Simon Winchester, Dave Eggers, and Anthony Sattin, exploring the theme of finding good fortune on the road. With a preface by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Published September 1st 2008 by Lonely Planet (first published October 1st 2003)

Kathryn
Aug 19, 2008 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: armchair travelers or those seeking "good news" in the world
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Although I haven't finished every one of these essays, I've read the vast majority of them. I give the collection four stars on the whole, because a few of the tales are mediocre at best and a few are truly beautiful and outstanding. I like the fact that some are written by brand-new authors while others are by "famous" ones (and, as you might guess, some by the budding authors are better than those by the seasoned!) There is a fairly good variety of locales covered, though it's a bit light on t...more
Kristina
heartwarming stories about, you guessed it, the kindness of strangers. when your hope in humanity is looking a little dim, pick this up.
Vivian Thomas
Liked: I love reading travel books because I feel like I get to know places without having to move. This book was great because it made me want to look around for someone traveling in my town and help them out.
Did not like: At first you think "Ah, there are good people in the world" but then you realize that many of the stories are nice people saving the author of the story from threatening situations many of which are brought about by *bad* people. So its kind of a wash for humanity.
Bob
A collection of short reminiscences, many of them specially commissioned for the volume, that highlight unexpected encounters in remote and exotic locations. There are lots of "a perfect stranger went out of his way to help me..." stories, but most are much subtler and more faceted and introduce whole new ways of looking at unfamiliar places and new reasons travel is thought to make us better people. The pieces are exciting, moving, and thoughtful and most short enough to enjoy over a work break...more
Catherine
I enjoyed reading The Kindness of Strangers slowly, savoring each story on its own. The stories take place all over the world - Russia, Burma, Hawaii, Morocco, Scotland, Argentina, Ascension Island, Lebanon... I loved getting glimpses into places far from home. And I loved that the focus of these stories is on the people more than the places, and the humanity that links us all. This isn’t just a 'feel good' book. Many of these stories feature kindness coupled with fearful or potentially tragic c...more
Stacey
I was really looking forward to reading this book, mostly because I have been the beneficiary of the kindness of strangers while traveling over and over again in many situations. Some of the stories were stronger than others and I think (though I could be wrong because I had a many-month pause while reading this book) that the second half were generally more interesting to me. (I'd probably give it a 3.5 if I could.)

I really liked Sarah Levin's "Egg Child" about traveling by bus/taxi in Kenya be...more
Ken Mannion
May 09, 2013 Ken Mannion marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Amanda Cott
I don't normally like short stories, but this collection is quite possibly perfect. Every story was beautiful and poignant and moving and restorative all at the same time. Rather than devouring it, I found myself wanting to savor each story - to read just one at a time and marinate on it before moving on. And, fortunately, unlike much travel writing, it didn’t result in intense wanderlust. This is, perhaps, an overly effusive review, but it will not disappoint.
Xanthi
I was surprised as to how much I enjoyed this book. I say 'surprised' because anthologies tend to be patchy. It is natural when you put together stories (fiction or non) written by various different people, some will be great and others not so great. Yes, there were a few here that I was rather indifferent towards, but there were enough really interesting stories to make this collection worthwhile reading. Some of the stories even had me riveted. There was a fair bit of danger and tension involv...more
Alex
What a fantastic collection on the beauty of chance while traveling. Some of the stories I had to skip, because I'm not interested in war stories or tales of people visiting war relics. Some of these stories scared me and made me doubt my sanity in traveling Southeast Asia, but some of them put a smile on my face and provided a very welcome respite from the stresses of an intensive CELTA course! I wish the story about the couple traveling from Mexico to San Francisco had not been so close to the...more
Nicole
Wonderful collection of traveller's tales with the common theme of being the receipent of some form of "kindness of strangers". The authors range from famous writers who recount stories from journerys, alongside newbies with equally moving tales. Each chapter can be read as a stand alone and at times its hard to discern the seasoned from the novice authors. Recommended for anyone looking to restore their faith in their fellow man, regardless of nationality. The introduction is beautifully writte...more
Susan
This is the loveliest kind of travel book, a series of stories about the unexpected kindness of people met during foreign travel. As soon as I saw that the Dalai Lama had writen the introduction, I knew this would be a special, inspirational and uplifting collection of essays.
Reading this reminded me of all the serendipidy and joy to be found in visiting new and different places and turning strangers into freinds. The biblical admonition "Go and do thou likewise" is surely the final message of t...more
Stephanie
The short story "Special Delivery" by Lindsy Van Gelder is probably my favorite only because it takes place in the Venneto region of Italy. I am familiar with the locations mentioned like Bassano del Grappa as well as the friendliness of the people in that region. After reading, I long to return. Other stories sparked the wanderlust. I only hope to avoid needing the kindess of strangers for my survival.
Penny
Loved reading these stories-it's like sitting around with your traveling friends hearing amazing tales that will sometimes make you uncomfortable and then smile for the angels that happen by to help or visit a life somewhere in our vast world. The stories make you want to pack your bags and get on the road. So much to see. So many people to meet.
Ashley
Some of the stories are better than others, which is why I can't give it more stars than I did. It is a quick, light read for the most part. I wasn't always captivated, but decently enjoyed the stories. Is that vague enough? Sorry, I definitely will not be a professional book reviewer in the future...one profession I can rule out!
Rosemary
Travel stories with a twist. Transported as we are to other parts of the world, it is the human interactions which remain with us and remind us to be kind, to think about when we have received unexpected help from strangers ourselves.
A great selection of stories, all well written. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sandy
Wonderful pieces on the sweet funny things you run into when you travel. Unexpected kindnesses that all of us encounter no matter how brief the moment or unusual the circumstances. Brought up great memories of my own travels through Europe, Thailand, Malaysia and Japan.... fun book!
Lily
A collection of story stories written by different travel writers. A wonderful gift for anyone who loves the adventures that travel brings. Everyone can relate to some obscure encounter that would never happen at home. Thanks Tina & Sara for this book!
Allie
At a time when there is so much discussion about all of the negative qualities of humanity, it is nice to find a book that celebrates kindness and reminds us it is still out there no matter how far we stray from home.
Ariel
Very short stories focusing on travel adventures. There are a few gems, but most are notable just for being good nonfiction stories, if too brief. Easy reading for when you don't have a lot of time to spare.
Maggie
So far - I am enjoying all the different kinds of Acts of Kindness that the various authors have experienced during their travels... as I have had a couple of heartfelt ones myself whilst traveling.
Charles Bame
Through most of the book, I felt it could have been titled, "Middle Eastern People Who decided not to kill me." However, the last three stories were worth the price of the book.
Allison
I haven't finished this completely, but if you find yourself traveling frequently (and often alone), it is a collection of vignettes that will boost your spirits.
Janine
A collection of short stories about the kindness of strangers while travelling. Some stories a lot more interesting than others but on the whole, not bad.
serina
i read this while i was on a backpacking trek in central america. in light of all the travelling, i wasn't impressed. the ideas were there, the writing wasn't.
Cory
Saw this book in Hawaii on a coffee table. Picked it up when I got home, but didn't finish it completely. It's mediocre at best.
J. Briles
you can appreciate life a little more after reading these collected tales. it will make you want to travel and be kind just a little more.
Ann Insley
Enjoyable read but I found some of the stories to be a bit dull. "Might Be Your Lucky Day" by Jeff Greenwald was my personal favorite.
Lady T
Dec 06, 2013 Lady T added it
Fun read. I read a few out loud to the senior citizens I work with, and the stories sparked some nice discussions.
  • Tony Wheeler's Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales Of Travel And Misadventure
  • Devil's Picnic
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2000
  • Novel Destinations: Literary Landmarks From Jane Austen's Bath to Ernest Hemingway's Key West
  • Swiss Watching: Inside Europe's Landlocked Island
  • Fresh Air Fiend: Travel Writings
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2007
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • The Death of the Moth and Other Essays
  • Road Fever
  • Drinking, Smoking and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times
  • Germania: In Wayward Pursuit of the Germans and Their History
  • The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust
  • By Any Means: His Brand New Adventure from Wicklow to Wollongong
  • The Customer Is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • The Sistine Secrets
Better Than Fiction: True Travel Tales from Great Fiction Writers Tales from Nowhere A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys) Travel Writing