The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A collection of original stories by acclaimed writers, including Jan Morris, Tim Cahill, Simon Winchester, Dave Eggers, and Anthony Sattin, exploring the theme of finding good fortune on the road. With a preface by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Published September 1st 2008 by Lonely Planet (first published October 1st 2003)

Kathryn
Aug 19, 2008 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers or those seeking "good news" in the world
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Although I haven't finished every one of these essays, I've read the vast majority of them. I give the collection four stars on the whole, because a few of the tales are mediocre at best and a few are truly beautiful and outstanding. I like the fact that some are written by brand-new authors while others are by "famous" ones (and, as you might guess, some by the budding authors are better than those by the seasoned!) There is a fairly good variety of locales covered, though it's a bit light on t...more
Kristina
heartwarming stories about, you guessed it, the kindness of strangers. when your hope in humanity is looking a little dim, pick this up.
Vivian Thomas
Liked: I love reading travel books because I feel like I get to know places without having to move. This book was great because it made me want to look around for someone traveling in my town and help them out.
Did not like: At first you think "Ah, there are good people in the world" but then you realize that many of the stories are nice people saving the author of the story from threatening situations many of which are brought about by *bad* people. So its kind of a wash for humanity.
Deborah Ideiosepius
The Kindness of Strangers is a great idea for a book: A variety of Authors, travellers and traveller-authors all give us a series of snapshots from travel experiences, all based around the kindnesses of strangers. A Lonely planet publication, with a preface by the Dalai Lama and a few stories by authors I am very fond of, such as Simon Winchester, I was intrigued enough to buy this book with no prior knowledge of it and I am glad I did.

It is hard to review a book of short stories by different au...more
Kate Caruso
I've just begun this book but was completely drawn in by the forward by the Dalai Lama. And I thought it was quite the coup of editing by Dan George to begin with the story by Jan Morris, wherein Jan injects a tiny bit of cynicism, and then circles back to the warm and squishy and immediately lovable concept of the power of human kindness. A few essays further and a little weakness emerges only to be turned around again by the transcendent but simple story by Alice Waters. I'm seeing 4+ stars co...more
Heather Sinclair
The Kindness of Strangers is a collection of true stories about traveling. Having been to some of the countries in the book, I was interested to find out what kind of experience the authors had, and what sort of kindness they experienced. The stories made me smile, made me laugh, and made me cry. Most were funny and heartwarming, but I wasn’t envious of the author in every story--a refreshing departure from what I expected.

The book starts out with light humour: mistaken identity, buying the wro...more
Bob
A collection of short reminiscences, many of them specially commissioned for the volume, that highlight unexpected encounters in remote and exotic locations. There are lots of "a perfect stranger went out of his way to help me..." stories, but most are much subtler and more faceted and introduce whole new ways of looking at unfamiliar places and new reasons travel is thought to make us better people. The pieces are exciting, moving, and thoughtful and most short enough to enjoy over a work break...more
Catherine
I enjoyed reading The Kindness of Strangers slowly, savoring each story on its own. The stories take place all over the world - Russia, Burma, Hawaii, Morocco, Scotland, Argentina, Ascension Island, Lebanon... I loved getting glimpses into places far from home. And I loved that the focus of these stories is on the people more than the places, and the humanity that links us all. This isn’t just a 'feel good' book. Many of these stories feature kindness coupled with fearful or potentially tragic c...more
Stacey
I was really looking forward to reading this book, mostly because I have been the beneficiary of the kindness of strangers while traveling over and over again in many situations. Some of the stories were stronger than others and I think (though I could be wrong because I had a many-month pause while reading this book) that the second half were generally more interesting to me. (I'd probably give it a 3.5 if I could.)

I really liked Sarah Levin's "Egg Child" about traveling by bus/taxi in Kenya be...more
Ken Mannion
May 09, 2013 Ken Mannion marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Stacey Neve
As you would generally expect from a collection such as this one, I loved some of the stories and really didn't care for others. Not all of them are as lighthearted as you would expect given the theme. Some are quite dark and in a few instances the act of kindness doesn't happen until the writer has done something stupid/reckless enough to put themselves in a situation of really needing it. There were at least a couple that I didn't feel really fit the theme well at all.

Overall, a decent read. I...more
Amanda Cott
I don't normally like short stories, but this collection is quite possibly perfect. Every story was beautiful and poignant and moving and restorative all at the same time. Rather than devouring it, I found myself wanting to savor each story - to read just one at a time and marinate on it before moving on. And, fortunately, unlike much travel writing, it didn’t result in intense wanderlust. This is, perhaps, an overly effusive review, but it will not disappoint.
Xanthi
I was surprised as to how much I enjoyed this book. I say 'surprised' because anthologies tend to be patchy. It is natural when you put together stories (fiction or non) written by various different people, some will be great and others not so great. Yes, there were a few here that I was rather indifferent towards, but there were enough really interesting stories to make this collection worthwhile reading. Some of the stories even had me riveted. There was a fair bit of danger and tension involv...more
Alex
What a fantastic collection on the beauty of chance while traveling. Some of the stories I had to skip, because I'm not interested in war stories or tales of people visiting war relics. Some of these stories scared me and made me doubt my sanity in traveling Southeast Asia, but some of them put a smile on my face and provided a very welcome respite from the stresses of an intensive CELTA course! I wish the story about the couple traveling from Mexico to San Francisco had not been so close to the...more
Elise
Some of these essays were quite moving; some just average.
Nicole
Wonderful collection of traveller's tales with the common theme of being the receipent of some form of "kindness of strangers". The authors range from famous writers who recount stories from journerys, alongside newbies with equally moving tales. Each chapter can be read as a stand alone and at times its hard to discern the seasoned from the novice authors. Recommended for anyone looking to restore their faith in their fellow man, regardless of nationality. The introduction is beautifully writte...more
Susan
This is the loveliest kind of travel book, a series of stories about the unexpected kindness of people met during foreign travel. As soon as I saw that the Dalai Lama had writen the introduction, I knew this would be a special, inspirational and uplifting collection of essays.
Reading this reminded me of all the serendipidy and joy to be found in visiting new and different places and turning strangers into freinds. The biblical admonition "Go and do thou likewise" is surely the final message of t...more
Stephanie
The short story "Special Delivery" by Lindsy Van Gelder is probably my favorite only because it takes place in the Venneto region of Italy. I am familiar with the locations mentioned like Bassano del Grappa as well as the friendliness of the people in that region. After reading, I long to return. Other stories sparked the wanderlust. I only hope to avoid needing the kindess of strangers for my survival.
Penny
Loved reading these stories-it's like sitting around with your traveling friends hearing amazing tales that will sometimes make you uncomfortable and then smile for the angels that happen by to help or visit a life somewhere in our vast world. The stories make you want to pack your bags and get on the road. So much to see. So many people to meet.
Ashley
Some of the stories are better than others, which is why I can't give it more stars than I did. It is a quick, light read for the most part. I wasn't always captivated, but decently enjoyed the stories. Is that vague enough? Sorry, I definitely will not be a professional book reviewer in the future...one profession I can rule out!
Rosemary
Travel stories with a twist. Transported as we are to other parts of the world, it is the human interactions which remain with us and remind us to be kind, to think about when we have received unexpected help from strangers ourselves.
A great selection of stories, all well written. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sandy
Wonderful pieces on the sweet funny things you run into when you travel. Unexpected kindnesses that all of us encounter no matter how brief the moment or unusual the circumstances. Brought up great memories of my own travels through Europe, Thailand, Malaysia and Japan.... fun book!
Lily
A collection of story stories written by different travel writers. A wonderful gift for anyone who loves the adventures that travel brings. Everyone can relate to some obscure encounter that would never happen at home. Thanks Tina & Sara for this book!
Allie
At a time when there is so much discussion about all of the negative qualities of humanity, it is nice to find a book that celebrates kindness and reminds us it is still out there no matter how far we stray from home.
Ariel
Very short stories focusing on travel adventures. There are a few gems, but most are notable just for being good nonfiction stories, if too brief. Easy reading for when you don't have a lot of time to spare.
Maggie
So far - I am enjoying all the different kinds of Acts of Kindness that the various authors have experienced during their travels... as I have had a couple of heartfelt ones myself whilst traveling.
Charles Bame
Through most of the book, I felt it could have been titled, "Middle Eastern People Who decided not to kill me." However, the last three stories were worth the price of the book.
Allison
I haven't finished this completely, but if you find yourself traveling frequently (and often alone), it is a collection of vignettes that will boost your spirits.
Janine
A collection of short stories about the kindness of strangers while travelling. Some stories a lot more interesting than others but on the whole, not bad.
  • Tony Wheeler's Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales Of Travel And Misadventure
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2000
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Devil's Picnic
  • Microthrills: True Stories from a Life of Small Highs
  • Rick Steves' Italy 2007
  • Drinking, Smoking and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times
  • The Lunatic Express: Discovering the World... via Its Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains, and Planes
  • Novel Destinations: Literary Landmarks From Jane Austen's Bath to Ernest Hemingway's Key West
  • The Death of the Moth and Other Essays
  • A Year in Van Nuys
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2007
  • The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust
  • The Customer Is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • American Vertigo: Traveling America in the Footsteps of Tocqueville
  • Roads to Quoz: An American Mosey
Better Than Fiction: True Travel Tales from Great Fiction Writers Tales from Nowhere A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys) Travel Writing