Start by marking “The Kindness of Strangers ” as Want to Read:
The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  445 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher*

A timely collection of 26 inspiring tales, The Kindness of Strangers explores the unexpected human connections that so often transfigure and transform the experience of travel, and celebrates the gift of kindness around the world. Featuring stories by Jan Morris, Tim Cahill, Simon Winchester and Dave Eggers.

I greatl
Published August 1st 2008 by Lonely Planet (first published October 1st 2003)

Kathryn
Aug 19, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers or those seeking "good news" in the world
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Although I haven't finished every one of these essays, I've read the vast majority of them. I give the collection four stars on the whole, because a few of the tales are mediocre at best and a few are truly beautiful and outstanding. I like the fact that some are written by brand-new authors while others are by "famous" ones (and, as you might guess, some by the budding authors are better than those by the seasoned!) There is a fairly good variety of locales covered, though it's a bit light on t ...more
Jean Carlton
I really enjoyed this book. It's easy in today's world with daily news focusing on the negative, to become jaded about humanity in general. These varied stories were fun to read and reminded me of times in my own life that simple kindness, often from strangers, touched my heart and gave me hope. The theme of kindness while traveling provided me, not a big traveler, with an almost virtual travel experience. I especially liked "Brief Encounter", Everything Come Round" and "Losing it in London."
Now
Kristina
May 04, 2007 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
heartwarming stories about, you guessed it, the kindness of strangers. when your hope in humanity is looking a little dim, pick this up.
Vivian Thomas
Nov 05, 2009 Vivian Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Liked: I love reading travel books because I feel like I get to know places without having to move. This book was great because it made me want to look around for someone traveling in my town and help them out.
Did not like: At first you think "Ah, there are good people in the world" but then you realize that many of the stories are nice people saving the author of the story from threatening situations many of which are brought about by *bad* people. So its kind of a wash for humanity.
Andrea
Apr 14, 2015 Andrea is currently reading it
This is a remarkable book, with an inspiring forward by the Dalai Lama. In the introduction, the author writes, "I have learned two things: the first is that when you travel, at some point you will find yourself in a dire predicament-out of money, out of food, unable to find a hotel room, lost in a big city or on a remote trail, stranded in the middle of nowhere. The second is that someone will miraculously emerge to take care of you- to lend you money, feed you, put you up for the night, lead y ...more
Deborah Ideiosepius
The Kindness of Strangers is a great idea for a book: A variety of Authors, travellers and traveller-authors all give us a series of snapshots from travel experiences, all based around the kindnesses of strangers. A Lonely planet publication, with a preface by the Dalai Lama and a few stories by authors I am very fond of, such as Simon Winchester, I was intrigued enough to buy this book with no prior knowledge of it and I am glad I did.

It is hard to review a book of short stories by different au
Kate Caruso
Jun 18, 2014 Kate Caruso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just begun this book but was completely drawn in by the forward by the Dalai Lama. And I thought it was quite the coup of editing by Dan George to begin with the story by Jan Morris, wherein Jan injects a tiny bit of cynicism, and then circles back to the warm and squishy and immediately lovable concept of the power of human kindness. A few essays further and a little weakness emerges only to be turned around again by the transcendent but simple story by Alice Waters. I'm seeing 4+ stars co ...more
Heather Sinclair
The Kindness of Strangers is a collection of true stories about traveling. Having been to some of the countries in the book, I was interested to find out what kind of experience the authors had, and what sort of kindness they experienced. The stories made me smile, made me laugh, and made me cry. Most were funny and heartwarming, but I wasn’t envious of the author in every story--a refreshing departure from what I expected.

The book starts out with light humour: mistaken identity, buying the wro
Bob
Jan 06, 2013 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social
A collection of short reminiscences, many of them specially commissioned for the volume, that highlight unexpected encounters in remote and exotic locations. There are lots of "a perfect stranger went out of his way to help me..." stories, but most are much subtler and more faceted and introduce whole new ways of looking at unfamiliar places and new reasons travel is thought to make us better people. The pieces are exciting, moving, and thoughtful and most short enough to enjoy over a work break ...more
Catherine
Feb 04, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I enjoyed reading The Kindness of Strangers slowly, savoring each story on its own. The stories take place all over the world - Russia, Burma, Hawaii, Morocco, Scotland, Argentina, Ascension Island, Lebanon... I loved getting glimpses into places far from home. And I loved that the focus of these stories is on the people more than the places, and the humanity that links us all. This isn’t just a 'feel good' book. Many of these stories feature kindness coupled with fearful or potentially tragic c ...more
Stacey
Nov 29, 2011 Stacey rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I was really looking forward to reading this book, mostly because I have been the beneficiary of the kindness of strangers while traveling over and over again in many situations. Some of the stories were stronger than others and I think (though I could be wrong because I had a many-month pause while reading this book) that the second half were generally more interesting to me. (I'd probably give it a 3.5 if I could.)

I really liked Sarah Levin's "Egg Child" about traveling by bus/taxi in Kenya be
Awakeatone
Ken Mannion
May 09, 2013 Ken Mannion marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Stacey Neve
As you would generally expect from a collection such as this one, I loved some of the stories and really didn't care for others. Not all of them are as lighthearted as you would expect given the theme. Some are quite dark and in a few instances the act of kindness doesn't happen until the writer has done something stupid/reckless enough to put themselves in a situation of really needing it. There were at least a couple that I didn't feel really fit the theme well at all.

Overall, a decent read. I
Amanda Cott
Jan 30, 2014 Amanda Cott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally like short stories, but this collection is quite possibly perfect. Every story was beautiful and poignant and moving and restorative all at the same time. Rather than devouring it, I found myself wanting to savor each story - to read just one at a time and marinate on it before moving on. And, fortunately, unlike much travel writing, it didn’t result in intense wanderlust. This is, perhaps, an overly effusive review, but it will not disappoint.
Xanthi
Mar 08, 2013 Xanthi rated it liked it
I was surprised as to how much I enjoyed this book. I say 'surprised' because anthologies tend to be patchy. It is natural when you put together stories (fiction or non) written by various different people, some will be great and others not so great. Yes, there were a few here that I was rather indifferent towards, but there were enough really interesting stories to make this collection worthwhile reading. Some of the stories even had me riveted. There was a fair bit of danger and tension involv ...more
Katharine
Nov 21, 2015 Katharine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I'm not able to travel right now, so I found these short accounts so lovely, intriguing and nerve-wracking at times. All equally well written. What a fun book!
Norma
Feb 15, 2015 Norma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this collection of true stories from travelers who experience the kindness of strangers around the world, but, wait...some barely escape with their lives.
Eleni
Mar 02, 2016 Eleni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a gift and indeed it was. Very touching and inspiring. Now a beloved book.
Terri Schneider
Feb 15, 2016 Terri Schneider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of travel stories, each thoughtfully written. Quite enjoyable.
Alex
Mar 07, 2013 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2013
What a fantastic collection on the beauty of chance while traveling. Some of the stories I had to skip, because I'm not interested in war stories or tales of people visiting war relics. Some of these stories scared me and made me doubt my sanity in traveling Southeast Asia, but some of them put a smile on my face and provided a very welcome respite from the stresses of an intensive CELTA course! I wish the story about the couple traveling from Mexico to San Francisco had not been so close to the ...more
Elise
Jun 14, 2014 Elise rated it liked it
Some of these essays were quite moving; some just average.
Sophia Anderson
Jul 03, 2015 Sophia Anderson rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books
Nicole
Feb 13, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Wonderful collection of traveller's tales with the common theme of being the receipent of some form of "kindness of strangers". The authors range from famous writers who recount stories from journerys, alongside newbies with equally moving tales. Each chapter can be read as a stand alone and at times its hard to discern the seasoned from the novice authors. Recommended for anyone looking to restore their faith in their fellow man, regardless of nationality. The introduction is beautifully writte ...more
Susan
Dec 20, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the loveliest kind of travel book, a series of stories about the unexpected kindness of people met during foreign travel. As soon as I saw that the Dalai Lama had writen the introduction, I knew this would be a special, inspirational and uplifting collection of essays.
Reading this reminded me of all the serendipidy and joy to be found in visiting new and different places and turning strangers into freinds. The biblical admonition "Go and do thou likewise" is surely the final message of t
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
The short story "Special Delivery" by Lindsy Van Gelder is probably my favorite only because it takes place in the Venneto region of Italy. I am familiar with the locations mentioned like Bassano del Grappa as well as the friendliness of the people in that region. After reading, I long to return. Other stories sparked the wanderlust. I only hope to avoid needing the kindess of strangers for my survival.
Aly Pavitt
People are not all rubbish!
Penny
Jan 10, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it
Loved reading these stories-it's like sitting around with your traveling friends hearing amazing tales that will sometimes make you uncomfortable and then smile for the angels that happen by to help or visit a life somewhere in our vast world. The stories make you want to pack your bags and get on the road. So much to see. So many people to meet.
Ashley
Mar 08, 2008 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-related
Some of the stories are better than others, which is why I can't give it more stars than I did. It is a quick, light read for the most part. I wasn't always captivated, but decently enjoyed the stories. Is that vague enough? Sorry, I definitely will not be a professional book reviewer in the future...one profession I can rule out!
Rosemary
Jun 12, 2012 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Travel stories with a twist. Transported as we are to other parts of the world, it is the human interactions which remain with us and remind us to be kind, to think about when we have received unexpected help from strangers ourselves.
A great selection of stories, all well written. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales of Travel and Misadventure
  • I Should Have Stayed Home: The Worst Trips of Great Writers
  • Tony Wheeler's Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Fired!: Tales of the Canned, Canceled, Downsized, and Dismissed