Start by marking “Teaching Your Children to Fly” as Want to Read:
Teaching Your Children to Fly

Teaching Your Children to Fly

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Want your children to move out of the house someday? Practical, funny, and always sensible, Merrilee Boyack, author of The Parenting Breakthrough, shares field- tested ideas that will help children become self- reliant and independent. She talks about the importance of chores (or, as she calls them, "opportunities to serve"). She teaches parents "The Plan" and what childre ...more
Audiocd, 1 page
Published December 26th 2007 by Deseret Book (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Your Children to Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Your Children to Fly

Margaret
Jan 22, 2008 Margaret rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lds moms with kids 5 years old and up
I just finished listening to this audio talk by Merrilee Browne Boyack! I LOVED her book "The Parenting Breakthrough". Completely my style. She talks a lot about teaching our children everything they need to know while they are with us so that when they leave our home they will be prepared to do the things they need to. She made a "Plan" of everything that she would teach her kids by the time they left the house. (how to buy a car, how to cook, how to sew buttons, etc, etc.)

She quotes John Rosem
Heidi
Jun 01, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have heard Merilee Boyack speak before and found her hillarious and insightful. This CD really impressed on my mind the idea that we need to teach our children to do things for themselves so that they will be able to function well as adults. I've learned that I tend to be an "over-nurturing mother", which in the end will make life harder for me and my children! So, I have begun the "training" with my 6 year old and he is so excited about being able to do more for himself and my life is beginni ...more
Mellissa
Jul 25, 2010 Mellissa rated it it was amazing
Is this in book form?? Anyone know??
Anyway, great audio book! Merrilee sets out a general timeline to ensure your children will leave your home as capable individuals.
She talks about the importance of teaching them basic and not so basic skills before they leave your home including but so much more than cooking several meals, sewing a button on, changing oil, paying bills, buying a car, etc. I would have loved to have had this knowledge and these skills when I left home!
Fantastic concept presen
Feb 23, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
My friend let me borrow this on CD. I loved learning how she has a training period for teaching her children various skills they will need to be independent adults. She said on average it takes eight times of teaching your child something before they fully get it. I often expect they get it after much fewer training sessions, and end up frustrated. I feel a renewed desire to help my children learn to do things on their own, instead of doing it for them because it is faster or easier at the time.
Karin
Sep 20, 2008 Karin rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed listening to this talk. It was funny, practical, and had a lot of great suggestions. There is so much to teach our children. Merrille Boyack has made a list of all the things children need to learn to become independent adults and then groups those skills by age. There is a comprehensive list in her parenting book. There are some skills in there that I still need to learn so I can teach my children:)
Wendy
Jun 28, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
When my ten year old pretended he couldn't butter his own roll, I knew we needed this book. It's excellent. I enjoy Merrilee Boyack and respect her. Now to implement her ideas. I just wish all of the details were included in this book, but those are sold separately.
Kristen
Apr 20, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: .
Excellent presentation of Merrilee's child-rearing philosophy. She's entertaining to listen to, and brilliant in her approach. This can serve as an introduction, companion or refresher to her "Parenting Breakthrough" book. I highly recommend it!
Karen
Nov 02, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
This is available only on CD. LMK if you girls want to borrow it. I love Boyack's sense of humor. She pulled a lot from her Parenting Breakthrough book so that's why it doesn't get 5 stars. I was hoping for all-new info. Very good nonetheless.
Ariell
Oct 04, 2010 Ariell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Amanda, Brittany, all mothers who want independent adult children in the future
Loved this talk. I so want to implement it in my home. I have to organize myself and have Joe listen to it too. I want my kids to be independent, but I am not very good at cultivating that in my home with my children.
Aug 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I actually have this on audio tape, if anyone wants to borrow it. I really liked it! Great ideas and a fun listen (especially when driving long distances!)
Chris
Apr 05, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Some good ideas for giving your kids responsiblities and helping them gain confidence and life skills.
Leiah
Mar 25, 2008 Leiah rated it really liked it
Adam gave me this CD for Christmas. It was funny, and entertaining, but certainly not as useful as the book!
DeeAnn
Nov 06, 2009 DeeAnn rated it it was amazing
EVERY parent should read this book and get a clue about the type of person they are raising....
Sally
Jun 19, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has
Shelves: parenting
wish it was a book instead of a CD. library has it
Kimber
Kimber marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Breanne
Breanne marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Annalisa
Annalisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Patti
Patti rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Kara Johns
Kara Johns marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Sadie
Sadie added it
Mar 27, 2014
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Seth Morin
Seth Morin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Seth
Seth rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2013