Start by marking “The Order Vol. 1: The Next Right Thing (Trade Paperback)” as Want to Read:
The Order Vol. 1: The Next Right Thing (Trade Paperback)

The Order Vol. 1: The Next Right Thing (Trade Paperback)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A team of long-dormant Soviet super-weapons is awake, angry, and heading straight at the heart of Los Angeles ready to finish World War III The front line of defense is a team that's been together since just before nine this morning The queen of PR starts her spin A dead body hides more than just a murder mystery And-and-and - a super-sex tape What on earth could justify t ...more
Published March 5th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Order Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Order Vol. 1

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanRat Queens, Vol. 1 by Kurtis J. WiebeBatwoman by Greg RuckaFray by Joss WhedonRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
Kickass women in superhero comics
267th out of 285 books — 263 voters
X-Men by Chris ClaremontThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinMarvels by Kurt BusiekAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonX-Men by Chris Claremont
Best of Marvel Comics
353rd out of 373 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

nothing earth-shaking here but if you write a comic book that has 1) a sober lead character 2) quotes from mike davis, john mcphee, and suisho tobita in it i will come on here and give you five stars
Hannah Givens
The setup is pretty typical, a new team of young celebrities given superpowers, but Fraction makes it engaging. The powers they're given are a little different, I like the idea of a whole organization hiring and firing the superheroes (in the wake of Civil War), and the script makes each character seem interesting and significant. The whole "pantheon" approach is totally irrelevant, but I got invested in each individual character, and especially like the team leader. He was a body double (?) for ...more
Eric England
The Order: The Next Right Thing is an interesting graphic novel that focuses on a team of celebrity superheroes that are given powers by Iron Man and Stark Industries. The team must deal with interpersonal conflicts, external challenges, and numerous super-powered enemies. The graphic novel works primarily because of the distinct voices that Matt Fraction imbues in each of his characters. They all feel like real people in extraordinary situations. However, some of the traditional superhero antic ...more
Neil McCrea
One of Marvel's post Civil War titles. I suspect the title died on the vine, but I could be wrong about that.

After the Superhero Registration Act went into effect. Iron Man set about creating legal, government regulated super teams for all 50 states. The Order is his flagship new group and represents California. It is a team made up entirely of new superheros. They are all highly trained, normal humans, briefly given superhuman abilities for a year long term of service.

The premise is solid, the
In the wake of Civil War, Iron Man created a bunch of new superhero teams. One is The Order, in which regular folk get superpowers, but just for just one year. The first volume is barely tied to Marvel's characters (Pepper Potts is a character and Iron Man has a few cameos) and doesn't create very compelling original heroes. But, with a team of largely disposable heroes, that's kind of the point.
Matt Fraction's story format--where each issue starts and ends with characters' job interviews--is i
John Wiswell
Feb 21, 2008 John Wiswell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comics readers, culture critics
This was a pleasant surprise. A superhero book with impossible powers, implausible physiques, costumes for all, massive battles, and yet none of it felt cheesy. These trademark elements of the superhero comic were filtered through real human problems (love, alcoholism, paralysis) and parallels to real events (international military crises, media sex scandals), and all filtered down into some interesting personalities. The Order is very much a personality book, with each chapter focusing one on p ...more
Harrison Rip
The Civil War series dealt with terrorism in a balanced and interesting way, and this series was apparently Marvel's attempt to represent the military propaganda side of it, which I have no interest in.
Gary Lee
I liked this one much more than I probably should have.
But in this day or "concept-shattering" superhero story-arcs and serious, heartwrenching, ultra-personal indie comics -- it's nice be reminded from time to time that some comics are simply balls-out fun.
I'm not a fan of what little Civil War-era Marvel I've read, nor its effect on the overall Earth 606 universe. The Tony Stark Initiative (a plan to give each state it's own team of highly trained superheroes) was bound to fail, on its own epi
I purchased this book at a used book store. The names of Matt Fraction and Barry Kitson are more than enough to earn my support, however one aspect of the book I did not enjoy was how on multiple occasions the page layout would match the next page in a double page spread, tiered in three different ways, but the reader was supposed to read the entire page one before the reading the matching grid on page two. Other than that, this was a decent effort of new or established D-list like characters. I ...more
Slightly irreverent, sometimes funny, solid modern superhero stories, but somehow... lacking. Don't know what's missing, but if I didn't know going in that this was written by Matt Fraction I'd have figured it was some noob who still didn't know what their voice was. Great, smooth art with clean lines and clear staging, so we got great support or what we hope will be something more remarkable. Mostly I want to read more because I'm hoping beyond hope that future issues will be more "Fraction".
Reprints The Order #1-5. The first line-up for the Order is fired and a new team is brought in to replace them. I can see where the Order is trying to go but it doesn't quite seem to make it over the hump. It feels like a Planetary or a much less extreme version of X-Statix. That being said, it isn't bad but it doesn't feel quite like a really good book.
Very interesting take on a super-team, though some details were unfortunately close to things we'd written in our original comic scripts. Good characters and great book formats. The plots left something to be desired for a non-comic fan like me. Didn't love the art - too much gratuitous T&A for a book that otherwise treated women pretty well.
Noah Soudrette
Very much a superhero soap opera and highly appropriate for L.A.'s first super team (ignoring West Coast Avengers). This is the first Matt Fraction comic I've read and I see why he's so popular. His grasp of dialog and character is top notch and I can easily see him in the ranks of Warren Ellis and Greg Rucka.
Second string set of artificially created superheroes for the initiative to put a superhero team in every state. Fascinating characterization. I'm not crazy about the art, but at least you can tell most of the characters apart.
Jun 16, 2011 Finn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I don't quite see why this book made such a splash. It's a fine read - mostly interesting characters, competent art, nice layouts - but ultimately doesn't stand out from other decently written books.
Shannon Appelcline
Not as good as some of Fraction's later work, but these are some interesting characters who I'm liking getting to know.
Mike Gallagher
Shame this series didn't continue. It's brilliant super hero soap opera
Rohadi added it
Nov 16, 2015
Dave Smash
Dave Smash marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Guy-Enigmatico marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
denny lopez
denny lopez marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
  • Supreme: The Return
  • Agents of Atlas
  • Annihilation, Book Two
  • Supreme Power, Volume 2
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art
More about Matt Fraction...