Hunting the King

Hunting the King

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  28 reviews
On the eve of the American invasion of Saddam Hussein’s Iraq, an international cast of schemers, spies,clergy, and scientists race to claim the greatest prize the world has ever seen. American archaeologist Molly O’Dwyerhas unearthed a long-lost burial mound in ancient Babylon. Whose remains are in it? Are they related to the mysterious Gospel of Hannaniah, the alleged dau...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Kunati Inc.

Melissa
Jan 18, 2009 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melissa by: the author
Shelves: just-cant-finish
This book was suggested to me through goodreads by the author. It looked interesting since he said it was a lot like The Di Vinci Code. Truth is I just could not get into it. It was TOO much like the Code only the writing is not nearly as good. The word hack flooded my head as I tried (painstakingly) to get past the first few chapters. I wouldn’t recommend the book. Unless maybe you didn’t read The Di Vinci Code and you don’t mind cheesy characterization.
Mikael
I don't read a lot of books like this one so it took some time to get into the book. I recommended to my husband and he really really enjoyed it. I was impressed that the author had suggested the book to me, it made it feel like I was reading something someone I know wrote.
Buck
Feb 15, 2010 Buck rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who like Davinci Code, thriller fans
Recommended to Buck by: Peter Clenott
I thoroughly enjoyed this book that was suggested to me through Goodreads by the author, peter clenott.

The book follows the exploits of archaeologist, Molly O'Dwyer as she searches for the burial site of the unrisen Jesus Christ amid the deserts of Iraq in the midst of the Iraq War.

O'Dwyer, who has strange dreams of a woman named Hannaniah is driven to find her burial site and believes that Hannaniah is the daughter of Jesus Christ. If she finds her grave, she will also find Jesus' grave as wel...more
Rhonda
i read this book because the author contacted me through good reads and asked me to. the book had an interesting premise - sort of davinci code-esque, as a team of archaeologists and others, all with different motives, search for the tomb of hannaniah ( the supposed daughter of jesus of nazareth) and ultimately, the tomb of jesus, himself. such a find would rock the world, because it would imply that jesus had survived the crucifixion, and had not actually died and risen from the dead. some want...more
Phil Williams
It is hard to read Hunting the King without comparing it to The DaVinci Code. They are both religious based thrillers and both give an alternate biography of Jesus after the crucifixion, but the comparisons stop there. The DaVinci Code is an adventurous treasure hunt through Europe, where Hunting the King is a metaphysical journey through the Middle East and the past lives of the books characters.
The books main character, Molly O'Dwyer is a Boston archeologist who gets caught up in the hunt for...more
Kelly
Dec 29, 2008 Kelly marked it as to-read
The author sent me a message with an introduction to the book. I like Peter's style. I like when people really go out and work hard to find success. He is using resources to promote his book and I'm impressed. He has now earned a spot along side the other 100 books on my to read list. :)
Eric_W
Disappointing. Does have some of the same feel as the DaVinci Code, but I didn't feel it had the same energy. Others have liked it so it's probably just me. I'm reading a lot of non-fiction at the moment and perhaps the basic premise struck me as somewhat preposterous.
Connie
I felt the swearing by the main character was not necessary. I wanted more archaeology than was in the book. It was confusing and hard to follow in the beginning. I wanted to enjoy the book more than I did.
Violet
Molly, an archaeologist, becomes involved in a find during the midst of the invasion in Iraq. Molly is looking for Hannaniah's burial site, and that of her father(Jesus). Many people are out to intercept her and her finds, some are even on her team. Some of the clues she has are difficult to figure out, but that is what Molly likes to do best.

Molly has visions of Hannaiah and seems to go back in time to the time of Jesus. Other members on the team also seem to be part of the past. Was Molly Han...more
Carol
I ultimately enjoyed this book a lot. The excitement started immediately and continued through out the story. It was captivating, although farfetched, as Dan Brown's books are. I had trouble keeping the foreign names and places straight, but that is only because of my own ignorance. It was jarring to hear the characters who were searching for Jesus to use our Lord's name in vain when there are other ways to express yourself. Peter, are you a Believer or more of a Doubting Thomas? Definitely a wo...more
Gina
I finished this book. I liked the adventure of going through Iraq, it's desert, it's towns and villages. It was interesting to see and experience it's people through this book. It definitely was along the same vein as "Davinci Code".
I'm a Christian and believe in the living God and Jesus so I had issue with the premise of the story. I had the same issue with Davinci Code. But again, it was interesting to be taken into Iraq. As I read, I picture Molly as looking like Julianne Moore.
John
Oct 24, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who liked The DaVinci Code
Recommended to John by: The author
Local writer from Portland, ME spun this one out. I was seriously impressed with this book. Not only is it a unique story, but the author keeps accurate track of several characters simultaneously. Interactions are relevant and believable. The premise is laid out and supported sufficiently to bring one into the story. I would recommend anyone request this book from their local book seller.
Limopilot
This is a great read on a subject that has been hashed over a few times.
Clenott does a great job on the believability of the story line - The relationship between the main characters and the "past" is a little far-fetched, but is a good spin on the overall read.

Expected but still well written ending...
Weavre
Dec 31, 2008 Weavre marked it as to-read
Looks interesting, and I'd not mind a bit of light adventure about now ... but Luzerne doesn't have it, so we'll see. I kinda want to read it just because it's the first time the author wrote me to suggest it (even if he also wrote a few thousand others here, of course!).
Jeanine
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Somewhat in the same vein as Dan Brown's books with some supernatural overtones. I had some trouble with the character names in the beginning but it got easier. Very interesting, entertaining read.
Dawn Baca
I read this book years ago, it was a gift from a friend who was even able to introduce me to the author.

It's similar in scope to the Da Vinci Code, but with it's own twist.
I enjoyed it, it was a very fast read.

Victoria
On a global level this was a good story. Very Da Vinci Code-esque. The characters were well developed. However, on a page level, the story was improbable, confusing, and the timelines and relationships made no sense.
Jason
This is a great read. It has history, religion, mysticism, romance, murder, international intrigue. A little bit of everything for everyone! Lots of twists and turns, and fascinating characters.
Another "DaVinci Code" knockoff....but boring. It's hard to believe that this is supposed to be the first of a series featuring the main character, Molly O'Dwyer, because it was extremely dull.
Paul
Dec 19, 2008 Paul rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Paul by: Peter Clenott, the author
DaVinci Code lite. Not a bad book but it requires a huge suspension of disbelief. It is a page-turner, though some of the situations were implausible. Grade B-
Tricia
This was a very good book.
Adventures of the biblical nature always fascinate me.
If you are a fan of Dan Brown and Chris Kuzneski, you will love this1
Laura Schmidt
Dec 30, 2008 Laura Schmidt marked it as to-read
I got a message from the author that if I liked DaVinci Code, I should check out his book. Looks cool - I shall! :)
Susan
Jan 05, 2009 Susan marked it as to-read
Sounds interesting. On my "to read list". Looking forward to checking it out.
Ruth
I was hoping for more than it delivered. Not a bad story, just fell short
Kathy-Diane
A fascinating read on the origins of Christianity.
Tara
Sep 08, 2009 Tara marked it as to-read
A Maine writer. Might just have to check it out. :)
Josh
Jan 02, 2009 Josh marked it as to-read
The author tells me that I'd like it. ;-)
Mary
Dec 04, 2008 Mary marked it as to-read
Recommended to me by the author via GoodReads!
Danelle
Danelle marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2013