Start by marking “Family Man” as Want to Read:
Family Man

Family Man

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,826 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
As personal assistant to octogenarian matriarch Justine Gilchrist, Katy Wade has spent years sorting out Gilchrist family problems; but now she pulls off a minor miracle: she persuades Justine's grandson Luke, a talented restaurant consultant who has no use for his relatives, to rescue the family's restaurant chain from its financial decline. After nosing around, Luke clai ...more
Published April 1st 1993 by Pocket Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Family Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Man

Carrie
This book, published in 1992, is riddled with cliches and stereotypes. Katy is the hard-working personal assistant to the matriarch of Gilchrist, Inc. She's a young, smart, girl-next-door type who has been supporting her younger brother since her parents died. she's become known as the Gilchrist Guardian Angel because she takes care of everything, from their overly dramatic family dynamics to running most of the details of the business.

Luke Gilchrist is the prodigal grandson who is talked into
Jacob Proffitt
An early 90s Krentz and again, I'm impressed with the quality. There were some unquestioned gender stereotypes that penetrated throughout, but I find that it just didn't bother me. Indeed, I found some of Luke's sentiments regarding acceptable use of violence and his mild mentorship of Katy's brother Matt rather refreshing (even if he did once or twice pull the "it's a man thing, I'd better take charge" card).

I didn't much care for the Gilchrist family (fortunately, I don't think the reader was
Holly
Dec 02, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a favorite of mine by one of my most beloved romance authors.
The story was written in 1992 and interestingly contains characters which bare a remarkable resemblence to some very successful recent stories, one of which is being made into a movie.
The theme of the beautiful but nasty CEO, everyone calls The Bastard, who seduces his angelic employee heroine seems to pop up in many successful novels. Its a little like The Taming of the Shrew, where the shrew is the Hero.
I find myself as
Jessica
Dec 26, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dropping this from 5 stars to 4 stars because, while the cooking scene at the end is still quite possibly the only "grand gesture" scene that's every worked for me*, I think I'm more fond of the dog than of any of the human characters.

*I tend to find grand gestures manipulative at best, a band-aid to temporarily cover up ongoing issues rather than deal with them. In this book, I think that's the hero's initial intent -- to trick the heroine into thinking that he's a gourmet cook, one of the qual
Blair McDowell
Luke Gilchrist, cold, impenetrable, dark hero and Kate Wade, all lightness and warmth are the template one finds often in Judith Ann Krentz’s novels. This is a ROMANCE. Krentz’s books are nothing if not formulaic. This is not to say the book is not an entertaining read—it is that. And at certain moments in my life, her books are exactly what I want to read. But the love (read sex) scenes are so the same from one of her books to another that they feel like a cut and paste exercise. The redemption ...more
Deranged Dreamer
Jun 19, 2016 Deranged Dreamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The same formula as absolutely, positively.
Exact same.
But still was very entertaining.
Tyna
May 19, 2016 Tyna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cartea ne oferă numeroase momente și replici pline de umor, câteva elemente de suspans, iar pasajele emoționante și pline de duioșie te fac să crezi în suflete pereche, în contrarii care se atrag și în povești magice de iubire.

Recenzia mea:

Irene
Apr 04, 2016 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each time I read this book it doesn't fail to get me engrossed into the storyline! The coven of witches and warlics is definitely something to look forward to. And I think part of my fascination with MA I can atribute to this book and I'm really glad that my MA master is like the one mentined in this book :)
Wendy
Feb 02, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
This has been one of my favorite books over the years. I re read it every so often and enjoy it a lot. I love the family dynamics and the twisted side of every family that is shown here. Luke is sexy and take charge yet is led by this beautiful woman with the courage to fight him. You'll love it!
Annette
Sep 21, 2007 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone needing something to tuck into their beach bag.
Shelves: trashyromance
Krentz is one of my favorite authors in the genre. Her books have tremendous humor - which I enjoy. In my opinion, romance novels often seem to take themselves too seriously. This was just fun.
Phyllis Sommers
A highly enjoyable novel that I couldn't put down. Katy Wade, personal assistant to Justine Gilchrist and her Gilchrist restaurant empire, approaches longtime family outcast, Justine's successful grandson, Luke, and asks him to move to Seattle to help save the family business, which has suddenly been thrust into financial trouble.

Luke has no interest in helping Justine or the business, still angry that he and his parents had been disowned by Justine after Luke's father, Thornton, left Katy's mot
~Sara~
Although the story was ok, the hero was a bit too much of a macho jackass and the heroine too much the doormat to be a truly enjoyable read. Although it was published in the early 90's, it read more like an 80's romance where the guy tells the girl "don't you worry your pretty little head sweetheart, I'll fix everything for you!" and the girl, with stars in her eyes and a dreamy smile says "my hero!" and stands back to let him take care of everything while admiring his godlike physique... It jus ...more
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 1992
Length: 393 pages, 5302 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Near Seattle.
Sex: Explicit and frequent.
Hero: Restaurant entrepreneur.
Heroine: De facto parent to younger brother. PA to family matriarch.

It's a perfectly reasonable early-90s romance.
She is a homebody with a steel spine and heart of gold.
He is a male who can't do anything around the house (needs a carer) who respects her when no-one else does, dark edges that can only be lightened by you
Lisa
Mar 24, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a long-time reader of Jayne Ann Krentz and all her pseudonyms, I've often seen reviews that mentioned Family Man as being among her best books. And I'd say that it lives up to that reputation. This story contained a lot of the things that I like in JAK's books and very few of the things that I don't.

Despite this being an older book, Luke had none of the arrogant, abusive, alpha male tendencies that a lot of older romance novel heroes have. He was strong and assertive when the occasion called
Robin
Aug 10, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katy Wade has worked for the Gilchrist family since she finished high school. Ready to start her own business, she just needs to lure the black sheep of the family, Luke Gilchrist, back to take over the Gilchrist empire and save the family's restaurants. After the way the family treated his parents, Luke has no interest in saving the family. But Katy Wade does interest him. Her tenacity intrigues him. She is like a little bulldog who won't let go. So Luke makes a deal with his Grandmother, the G ...more
Estara
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
katy took a job working for justine gilchrist when her parents died so that she could support her young brother. she wants out of the craziness that is the gilchrist family, and is sent to track down justine's grandson, who is called the bastard. luke's father stood up katy's mother on their wedding day and ran off with his secretary instead. justine wrote that part of the family out of the will, but now she needs someone to run her company. luke lost his parents and his wife in a plane
Apr 19, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romances
First a disclaimer - I don't typically read straight up romances, so it may be much more appealing to romance lovers. I did like the book and thought about the characters between reading sessions, and I felt it moved along at a nice clip. The book was engaging and I am not sorry I read it and I never thought of abandoning it.

However...

Um - it was also just ridiculous in so many parts. The author kept using the same phrases to describe the main characters. The pace at which the romance progressed
Sandy
Mar 06, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandhya
Aug 29, 2014 Sandhya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow...i loved this book!! What a fantastic read from start to end....!! I enjoyed the main characters Luke and Katy. Their romance was great...so sweet n strong...!! Katy's character was so sweet n you will just love her ....all her interactions with Luke...how she is a guardian angel as Luke always say. The suspense was not much a suspense as we almost knew what was happening...but it was a great side story to the romance! Only one teeny tiny problem for me was the use of Gilchrist by Katy...a ...more
Corina
Jan 30, 2014 Corina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book is one of my all-time favorites.

I think I've read all of Jayne Ann Krentz books. Not only do I have it in paperback, I also bought an e-copy to have it with me at all times.

It was published in 1992, one of her older novels, and is full of stereotypes. I still love it!!

The book is an easy and enjoyable read. The family dynamics, the dog that never leaves its bowl, the younger brother, her "love-affair" with her soon to be pesto-restaurant, are all entertaining and make me want to read i
Jilly
I tend to have problems with romance novels written before about 2000 - the gender roles are so archaic! Luke literally says "She's a woman, of course she's overreacting." Who is the target audience!?

My other complaint is the presumption that Luke has any obligation to his family who disowned his father and shunned his mother and him for his entire life. Why the hell would he have any responsibility for the family that treats him so terribly he's referred to as "the Bastard" because they refuse
Denise
Jan 18, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Nice easy fun read. A little too simplistic but a still a good story line. The protical grandson returns home to save the family business, and falls in love with the very loyal assistant. Loosely the characters are the domineering, handsome, controling male vs the efficient, plain, naive female. She gives over control of parts of her life, (like her brother) under the guise of a male role model. In the end the hero, deals with the final crisis a little to smoothly to be beleivable.

All in all a
Sunshine
This is the first book from Krentz that I've read and I really liked it! Luke's Hot and protective Katy is easy to love and you get sucked into their world. I really enjoyed the verbal abuse Katy would give Luke, The woman has spunk but I guess I wouldn't expect any less from a red head. And did I mention Luke was Hot?? Handsome, Sarcastic, Sense of humor, Protective, loyal and has money. What more could you ask for?? I look forward to reading more from Krentz
Gracee
Nov 03, 2008 Gracee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jayne Ann Krentz is one hell of a writer, i just love all her characters and the novels? full of rekindling passion =) The story can bring you wild imaginations about how Luke Gilchrist finally made Katy realize that he may not be the typical "man of his dreams" or completely the opposite but he made it certain that he can make her happy in his arms....ooohhh!
erinthedreamer
Nov 29, 2009 erinthedreamer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of the worst books I've ever read. Can not understand all the good reviews on amazon. The heroine is a complete push over and the man seems like a seriel killer. He "falls in love" with her and just says we're in a relationship even though she says no. This book just sucks. Haven't finished it yet but just can't seem to force myself to.
Maria
This Jayne Ann Krentz published in 1992 has all the elements I like in her work, great characters, humor, dialogue, and plot. I have read it at least ten times and look forward to future readings. It is one of my favorites written in this genre, and I am particularly crazy about Zeke, Luke's big black dog who carries his food dish with him everywhere.
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
I've read Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quick so I know what I'm getting into. That said I did enjoy this read, but I know it wont be for everyone. If you like throw back JAK then check this one out.

Steam factor: A solid 3/5 - the scenes were sensual and tasteful. The chemistry was there but maybe too rushed?
Trashy Katie
I tend to really enjoy Ms. Krentz's work, but her earlier novels suffer from some caveman thinking. While reading the book 3 words kept popping into my head that I think encapsulates the problems I had with this book: Consent Issues Abound. The heroine says no to the hero so many times and he just ignores her. Gah!
Syl
Aug 06, 2014 Syl rated it liked it
Nice romantic little novel. I liked Kate and Luke, and he's well described as "The Bastard", an "SOB of a CEO", though in the end, we all know he isn't. Written in 1992, it ages well and shows that romance never fades or changes; only the gadgets do.

I liked it, it took me back to the 90s.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Narrator to Audiobook 3 150 Dec 26, 2012 10:12PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Family Man (1992) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 12:54PM
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Body Guard (Silhouette Desire, #103)
  • Affair
  • Whirlwind Courtship + High Energy
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...