Start by marking “Ghost of a Chance (Harlequin Temptation, No 34)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Chance (Harlequin Temptation, No 34)

Ghost of a Chance (Harlequin Temptation, No 34)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Anne Silver's brother had been working to expose a clever ring of swindlers when he was struck down by a car - a clear case of attempted murder. Now Anne's determined to finish what her brother started. But she can't do it without the help of ex-CIA agent Julian Aries, a man who once betrayed her.

With Julian as an unwilling conspirator, the couple goes undercover to face

Published November 1st 1984 by Harlequin Books (first published October 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Chance

Doris
Blah. Not even really worth rating. First, although the book's blurb says her ex-boyfriend is CIA, that is never stated in the story. Second, I picked this up as I had recently read another Krantz story, which had a frisson of danger, a touch of excitement, and ghost activity, only to find that this one was a boilerplate “romance” with a hint of a ghost.

I don’t even consider this romance, because, even though the ‘standard’ in 1984 was that the modern, capable, successful woman wanted to be for
Pamela
Anne Silver's brother has been put in the hospital by a gang of thieves, posing as ghost hunters. Anne and her sister in law make a plan to catch them, but she realizes she may need the help of her ex boyfriend, an ex Cia agent Julian Aries. She tracks him down as he is recovering from his last assignment in the jungle. What she finds turns out to be more than she can handle in more ways, than one. The mystery is very good as they try to unravel who all the players are. Ms. Krentz always writes ...more
Kathy
I failed to believe the negative reviews. Should have listened to them. I was being generous by giving this book 3 stars. I usually like JAK. This book is not typical of her work.
Shirl
Ah, a good ghost story, along with a lovely love story. Who could want more.
Cindy
This was my first exposure to Krentz' work, which was recommended by a friend, and I must confess I was somewhat disappointed. While her descriptions are vivid, they are somewhat verbose, and the storyline seems to take too long to develop. There were some interesting turns in the end, but the story is more about the characters than the story.
Dawn
Having migraines has made reading very hard for me, so please don't take the time it takes me to read a book as an indicator of the book, it just depends on when the migrations come.

I really enjoy Jayne Anna Krentz books. And I was happy to find one I had not read yet. Keeps you interested with the occasional twist.
Kitty
Short, enjoyable romance, with a bit of a ghost story. Anne decides to take on the dangerous assignment of catching the would-be thieves that tried to kill her brother. However, it looks like she's going to need the help of a old flame she never quite got over. In the end, the ghost does her part to help, too.
Jadzia
I have to label it as a better one from short novels by Krentz. The heroine was not unnervingly naive and the hero was more than a bit uncertain, which was refreshing and rather pleasant, for a change. They deal together with hero's illness and the fraud ghost hunters in a typical manner. Tylical for Krentz, that is.
Christine US
Maybe I just need to accept that books that were re-released or re-published are not always done so for the quality of the book. This was must've been done to sucker in people like me -- thinking it's a new title by an enjoyed author. Just felt stuffy and outdated, and terribly unoriginal.
Maria
For some reason this book just doesn't gel for me. The plot is weak, the characters not quite her usual quality, although she does a great job with Julian Aries, at least, and it lacks her trademark humor. I still re-read it, however, because in my opinion, any JAK is better than none.
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Aasne Vigesaa -

I've listened to Audible's abridged version of this book - narrated by Lynn Flusch. It wasn't a bad listen, actually a pretty good abridgement ... but I'm looking forward to the unabridged version and a narrator I've enjoyed before.

Elizabeth
2 stars
I enjoy reading Jayne Ann Krentz but this book didn't hold my interest and thankfully it was short and I listened to the audiobook. I found the story boring. However, the sex scenes were plenty for a book published in 1984.
Tawni Hyde
The female character was annoying - a story that could've been good if the characters were not so whiney. Lots of romantic encounters, all of which made me say TMI
Lester
Barely of interest..maybe none! If all you want to do is read about sexual encounters..then this is the book for you. There wasn't even a 'mystery line' in this book.
JoElle Martín
Yes. I get it. Aries has TAWNY EYES!!!!
How many times do we need to be reminded of this fact????

What is with the tawny eyes obsession?
Melanie
I'm not really sure why I'm still reading it other than it's pretty short. Maybe it's because it's 20 years old that it's so cheesy.
Petie McCarty
Love all Jayne Ann's books. This was an early one and she had the knack right from the beginning. A very good read.
Susan Ward
Audiobook. A little paranormal, but not a lot. Liked the twist at the end - didn't see it coming!
Barbara
Kind of fun; decent early Krentz.
Dayna
Dayna added it
Dec 16, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Ghost of a Chance (1985) 3 6 Apr 05, 2013 04:28PM
  • A Man's Protection (Candlelight Ecstasy, #36)
  • Raven's Prey
  • Whirlwind Courtship + High Energy

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) All Night Long Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3) Smoke in Mirrors