Start by marking “Ghost of a Chance (Harlequin Temptation, No 34)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Chance (Harlequin Temptation, No 34)

Ghost of a Chance (Harlequin Temptation, No 34)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  811 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Anne Silver's brother had been working to expose a clever ring of swindlers when he was struck down by a car - a clear case of attempted murder. Now Anne's determined to finish what her brother started. But she can't do it without the help of ex-CIA agent Julian Aries, a man who once betrayed her.

With Julian as an unwilling conspirator, the couple goes undercover to face

Published November 1st 1984 by Harlequin Books (first published October 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Chance

Pamela
Nov 23, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
Anne Silver's brother has been put in the hospital by a gang of thieves, posing as ghost hunters. Anne and her sister in law make a plan to catch them, but she realizes she may need the help of her ex boyfriend, an ex Cia agent Julian Aries. She tracks him down as he is recovering from his last assignment in the jungle. What she finds turns out to be more than she can handle in more ways, than one. The mystery is very good as they try to unravel who all the players are. Ms. Krentz always writes ...more
Elena
This had the potential of being a good mystery/romance. However, I unfortunately couldn't find an unabridged audio version , so the overall impression was somewhat less than stellar! I will get the full-lenght book from the library to hopefully give the story justice...
Doris
Jun 28, 2014 Doris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah. Not even really worth rating. First, although the book's blurb says her ex-boyfriend is CIA, that is never stated in the story. Second, I picked this up as I had recently read another Krantz story, which had a frisson of danger, a touch of excitement, and ghost activity, only to find that this one was a boilerplate “romance” with a hint of a ghost.

I don’t even consider this romance, because, even though the ‘standard’ in 1984 was that the modern, capable, successful woman wanted to be for
Pamela
Jun 13, 2016 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version and the narrator was AWFUL! She over pronounced the words, and some of her "voices" were annoying. The story line was simple and repetitive. How many times the author need to use "laconic" and "sardonically" ??? Find a thesaurus, please. Not a fan of this one.
Kathy
Nov 11, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I failed to believe the negative reviews. Should have listened to them. I was being generous by giving this book 3 stars. I usually like JAK. This book is not typical of her work.
Shirl
Jun 11, 2014 Shirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, a good ghost story, along with a lovely love story. Who could want more.
Cindy
Dec 10, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first exposure to Krentz' work, which was recommended by a friend, and I must confess I was somewhat disappointed. While her descriptions are vivid, they are somewhat verbose, and the storyline seems to take too long to develop. There were some interesting turns in the end, but the story is more about the characters than the story.
Dawn
Apr 12, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having migraines has made reading very hard for me, so please don't take the time it takes me to read a book as an indicator of the book, it just depends on when the migrations come.

I really enjoy Jayne Anna Krentz books. And I was happy to find one I had not read yet. Keeps you interested with the occasional twist.
Kitty
Nov 22, 2008 Kitty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, enjoyable romance, with a bit of a ghost story. Anne decides to take on the dangerous assignment of catching the would-be thieves that tried to kill her brother. However, it looks like she's going to need the help of a old flame she never quite got over. In the end, the ghost does her part to help, too.
Jadzia
Aug 19, 2013 Jadzia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hq, contemporary
I have to label it as a better one from short novels by Krentz. The heroine was not unnervingly naive and the hero was more than a bit uncertain, which was refreshing and rather pleasant, for a change. They deal together with hero's illness and the fraud ghost hunters in a typical manner. Tylical for Krentz, that is.
Christine US
Jun 16, 2011 Christine US rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I just need to accept that books that were re-released or re-published are not always done so for the quality of the book. This was must've been done to sucker in people like me -- thinking it's a new title by an enjoyed author. Just felt stuffy and outdated, and terribly unoriginal.
Maria
For some reason this book just doesn't gel for me. The plot is weak, the characters not quite her usual quality, although she does a great job with Julian Aries, at least, and it lacks her trademark humor. I still re-read it, however, because in my opinion, any JAK is better than none.
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Aasne Vigesaa -

I've listened to Audible's abridged version of this book - narrated by Lynn Flusch. It wasn't a bad listen, actually a pretty good abridgement ... but I'm looking forward to the unabridged version and a narrator I've enjoyed before.

Sep 05, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Elizabeth
2 stars
I enjoy reading Jayne Ann Krentz but this book didn't hold my interest and thankfully it was short and I listened to the audiobook. I found the story boring. However, the sex scenes were plenty for a book published in 1984.
Tawni Hyde
Nov 08, 2013 Tawni Hyde rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The female character was annoying - a story that could've been good if the characters were not so whiney. Lots of romantic encounters, all of which made me say TMI
Lester
Feb 20, 2012 Lester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Barely of interest..maybe none! If all you want to do is read about sexual encounters..then this is the book for you. There wasn't even a 'mystery line' in this book.
JoElle Martín
Yes. I get it. Aries has TAWNY EYES!!!!
How many times do we need to be reminded of this fact????

What is with the tawny eyes obsession?
Melanie
Jan 28, 2009 Melanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really sure why I'm still reading it other than it's pretty short. Maybe it's because it's 20 years old that it's so cheesy.
Petie McCarty
Jul 28, 2013 Petie McCarty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love all Jayne Ann's books. This was an early one and she had the knack right from the beginning. A very good read.
Susan Ward
Feb 22, 2013 Susan Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook. A little paranormal, but not a lot. Liked the twist at the end - didn't see it coming!
Barbara
Kind of fun; decent early Krentz.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judy Goodnight
Jun 10, 2012 Judy Goodnight rated it liked it
"Like"
Jackie
Jackie is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Jana Leah
Jana Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Ghost of a Chance (1985) 3 6 Apr 05, 2013 04:28PM
  • A Man's Protection
  • Worth the Risk (2 stories in 1 book)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...