Start by marking “Night of the Magician” as Want to Read:
Night of the Magician

Night of the Magician

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Ariana sets out to save her aunt from being swindled by a charlatan and meets a seductive magician who convinces her to risk everything on love. This collector's edition of an out-of-print romance is by one of the genre's most popular authors--Jayne Ann Krentz, writing as Stephanie James.
Published October 1st 2000 by Harlequin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Magician

Jessica
It started out okay. I expected the usual romance novel melodrama. Was hoping for it actually. Initially I didn't care much for Ariana but I liked Lucian. All of that changed about halfway in. The sex scene, while expected, came at a point in the book when Ariana was still firmly against having any relationship with him. So why did they sleep together? Because they have chemistry and (most importantly) because he just happened to be outside her bedroom that night when she woke up. Ummmm... okay? ...more
Farah
I liked the plot and Lucian .. but Ariana was a little hard to like , I get why she's concerned with money and all but that doesn't excuse her patronizing ways and I would have preferred if Lucian was who he seemed to be .. that would have made things more interesting.
Murphy
I really enjoyed this book. Her characters are always different than expected. I enjoyed all of her 80's books and took them for the era they were in and what was selling. I do wish they were all in Kindle Format!
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 15, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2010
This is typical of Krentz's early work, a very dominating hero ignores the heroine's initial objections and they fall in love anyway. Neither one admits this until the last page.

The heroine is reluctant to trust due to being taken financially for a ride by the last man she trusted enough to love. She is determined not to marry without a strong prenup, and never to be with someone who has less money than she does. The hero has been taken for a ride by his first wife, and is against marriage. Init
Valerie
Fast read. You feel as though you want to shake both characters and tell them wake up .
Jadzia
One of better Krentz's books under the pen-name James. The hero wasn't violent in any way and the heroine did actually stamp her foot with some effect a couple of times. Definitely better than 'Nightwalker', a book with some very similar schemes - but the plot was so differently led that they are very much unlike each other.
Maria
Very entertaining Jayne Ann Krentz from 1984. I enjoyed these characters, mainly Ariana Warfield and Lucian Hawk. The dialogue has not yet reached what she is capable of writing, but the plot was a bit more intricate than her earlier stuff. Good re-read.
Viv
brought this as a double book under title of "Dangerous Affair". Other story was Dangerous Magic which I loathed so much I just didnt want to give this a try so did not read it
Karilyn
as part of the man in the mask
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Lea
Lea added it
Mar 21, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Blacky *Romance Addict* marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Rosemarie Kind
Rosemarie Kind marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
  • To Tame the Hunter
  • A Man's Protection (Candlelight Ecstasy, #36)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3) All Night Long White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)