Start by marking “Night of the Magician” as Want to Read:
Night of the Magician

Night of the Magician

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  339 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Discovering that her naive aunt Philomena is being swindled by a con man, financial planner Ariana Warfield enlists the assistance of the handsome Lucian Hawk to unmask the fraud, never expecting a passion that could change her life forever. Reprint.
Published October 1st 2000 by Harlequin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Magician

Jessica
Jun 06, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok
It started out okay. I expected the usual romance novel melodrama. Was hoping for it actually. Initially I didn't care much for Ariana but I liked Lucian. All of that changed about halfway in. The sex scene, while expected, came at a point in the book when Ariana was still firmly against having any relationship with him. So why did they sleep together? Because they have chemistry and (most importantly) because he just happened to be outside her bedroom that night when she woke up. Ummmm... okay? ...more
Farah
Mar 01, 2014 Farah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, grandma-era
I liked the plot and Lucian .. but Ariana was a little hard to like , I get why she's concerned with money and all but that doesn't excuse her patronizing ways and I would have preferred if Lucian was who he seemed to be .. that would have made things more interesting.
Murphy
Sep 14, 2014 Murphy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jayne-ann-krentz
I really enjoyed this book. Her characters are always different than expected. I enjoyed all of her 80's books and took them for the era they were in and what was selling. I do wish they were all in Kindle Format!
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 15, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2010
This is typical of Krentz's early work, a very dominating hero ignores the heroine's initial objections and they fall in love anyway. Neither one admits this until the last page.

The heroine is reluctant to trust due to being taken financially for a ride by the last man she trusted enough to love. She is determined not to marry without a strong prenup, and never to be with someone who has less money than she does. The hero has been taken for a ride by his first wife, and is against marriage. Init
Valerie
Mar 13, 2015 Valerie rated it really liked it
Fast read. You feel as though you want to shake both characters and tell them wake up .
Jadzia
Oct 04, 2012 Jadzia rated it liked it
Shelves: hq, contemporary
One of better Krentz's books under the pen-name James. The hero wasn't violent in any way and the heroine did actually stamp her foot with some effect a couple of times. Definitely better than 'Nightwalker', a book with some very similar schemes - but the plot was so differently led that they are very much unlike each other.
Maria
Very entertaining Jayne Ann Krentz from 1984. I enjoyed these characters, mainly Ariana Warfield and Lucian Hawk. The dialogue has not yet reached what she is capable of writing, but the plot was a bit more intricate than her earlier stuff. Good re-read.
Viv
Apr 20, 2011 Viv rated it it was ok
brought this as a double book under title of "Dangerous Affair". Other story was Dangerous Magic which I loathed so much I just didnt want to give this a try so did not read it
Melissa Jane
Melissa Jane rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2016
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Melinda Curtis
Melinda Curtis marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Hal Lynch
Hal Lynch rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Delia Chandler
Delia Chandler marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Loretta Torres
Loretta Torres marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jana Leah
Jana Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
KarenE Frost
KarenE Frost rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Charlotte Lloyd
Charlotte Lloyd rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Lori Daley
Lori Daley marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
knit
knit rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Shivauney
Shivauney is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
J
J rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Trina
Trina rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Michelle Coke
Michelle Coke rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • The Devil To Pay
  • A Man's Protection
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...