Start by marking “Igraine the Brave” as Want to Read:
Igraine the Brave

Igraine the Brave

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  6,724 Ratings  ·  614 Reviews
Everyone at Castle Pimpernel is looking forward to Igraine's birthday. But when her magical present goes wrong and her parents turn themselves into pigs, it's up to Igraine to put things right - even if that means facing giants, three-headed dragons and a particularly Spiky Knight.
Published 2008 by Chicken House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Igraine the Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Igraine the Brave

Dayna
Sep 08, 2011 Dayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! It was very readable (or, er, listenable), and I enjoyed the fact that the heroine was a female knight! I will definitely be reading this to my daughters when they get to be around 8 or 9. This was my first exposure to Funke, and I think I will go check out some more of her stuff now.

Addendum: To heck with 8 or 9. They are 3.5 and 4.5, and we started reading it together today. The oldest didn't want me to stop :)

Addendum 2: It was a little rough with the 3.5-year-old. I'll be honest;
Sierra
Oct 17, 2007 Sierra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Cornelia Funke's other books, little girls who want to be knights
I really enjoyed Cornelia Funke's other books, so I was looking forward to sitting down with this one. Unfortunately, while it's generally a fun, non-threateningly-quirky read, it's also one of Ms. Funke's weakest offerings to date. Which is not to say that young girls interested in becoming sword-wielding defenders of righteousness should not totally devour this book; they should, and they should also practice fencing and being chivalrous and generally figuring out how not to be a quiet, demure ...more
The Library Lady
Anyone mourning the lack of "beautiful dark notes" obviously doesn't get what this book is--not a dark, meaningful (and perhaps even pretentious, because Funke CAN get pretentious) young adult work, but a fun, rollicking read that kids will ENJOY. And isn't that what matters in a good kids book?

Yasamin
Jan 03, 2015 Yasamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: persian
ریت اصلی: 3 و نیم تا 4 (نه دقیقا 4)
داستان قشنگی بود و جالب! اگه بچه تر بودم حتما 5 میدادم بهش :))
A
Nov 15, 2008 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girl who aspires to be a knight must save her magician parents (who have accidentally turned into pigs) and defend her castle against an evil magician.

Appropriate for ages 9-13

This amusing adventure fantasy story is about Igraine, a 12-year-old princess who aspires to be a knight, and who lives with her magician parents in a a castle guarded by roaring stone lions and fire-breathing gargoyles. When her parents accidentally turn themselves into pigs on her birthday and an evil magician is poise
Adrian
Feb 07, 2011 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through a list of books that were suggested to counter the fainting princess narrative for girls; in other words, I'm reading some books with active heroines, looking for some to read to Rose Pink (or have her read later) that will hopefully invite her to strength and decision rather than passively waiting for someone to rescue her.

Right. So this is one of those books and I really enjoyed it. Igraine faces fear and does what's necessary to save her parents and home. At the sam
Tiffany
Jan 26, 2009 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Igraine is a twelve year old girl who longs to be a knight and have adventures. But her life is unexciting. Until her birthday, when her parents (magicians) are turned into pigs by accidental magic, and their castle comes under siege by Osmund the Greedy. Igraine must use her wits and chivalrous code to save her parents and the castle, with some help from friends.

We read this book as a family, and my kids (5 & 8) LOVED it. Really loved it. I don't remember the last time they got ready for be
Motahare

انتظارم خیلی بزرگانه تر بود
انتظارم یه عالمه کشمکش بود.؛یه عالمه گره که وا نمیشن تا جونت بالا بیاد..مشکل پشت مشکل و دردسر پشت دردسر.بدبیاری و آدمای تو زرد و خائن.
ولی نبود.
به خودم میگفتم یه جا شوالیه غمگین خیانت کنه بره سمت آسموند طمع کار یا مثلا مباشر آسموند یه نیزه ی جادوشده ی دیگه یه جا قایم کرده بوده باشه یا کار خراب شه و پدر و مادر ایگرن دیگه نتونن به حالت الیه شون برگردن
اما هیچ کدوم از این اتفاقا یفتاد.
آخرش یادم اومد قهرمان این داستان یه دختر بچه ی 12 ساله ست توی یه دنیای جادویی که آدماش یا
babyhippoface
Jan 04, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd-6th graders, especially fantasy fans
Shelves: kids-fiction, fantasy
Twelve-year-old Igraine’s magician parents have accidentally turned themselves into pigs and will remain powerless until they receive the hairs of a giant to create a reversing spell. Compounding the problem is Osmund the Greedy, who has come to Pimpernel Castle demanding the magical singing books that belong to Igraine’s family. Plucky Igraine, who wants to be a knight, faces danger as she rides alone to the home of a giant, befriends a Sorrowful Knight, fends off Osmund’s soldiers, and more, a ...more
Kati Callais
Feb 13, 2016 Kati Callais rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Fantasy/Adventure for kids
Maryam Noor
Nov 27, 2016 Maryam Noor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Before you tell me anything foolish - like " Maryam, this is a kids books. Why are you reviewing a kids book?"- let me tell you that my niece does not like it either. She hates it. She claims that she'd rather eat broccoli then listen to the tale again. I, sadly, have to agree.
Well, uh... um... children hate reading books, Maryam.
The author has written this book specifically for kids. Oh, and it's not like my niece was reading it by her own. Every night I read at least 30 pages to her and ask
Courtney Umlauf
I wanted this to be a fun story with a strong female protagonist that I would love. And I wish I could give it more than two stars, but I was so...very...bored. I never felt any tension in the story, and the structure felt unclear. By that I mean I never felt certain what direction the story was going. I'm sure you can guess:

1. Igraine wants to be a knight (of course being a girl, she'll have to push against some social norms)
2. A threat comes to Igraine's family
3. Igraine must employ her skill
Susan
Nov 02, 2007 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Cornelia Funke is an amazing author and the mastermind behind Inkheart but you would never know it from this. While I am very much in favor of her reaching out to a younger set of readers, I feel that she should give her new audience more credit for the sort of content that they want and are ready for. All of the beautiful dark notes that are interwoven in her books for older readers are gone without a trace in this tale of a spunky girl who intends to be a knight. There are a smattering of thin ...more
Jennica
Jan 09, 2009 Jennica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think this book is really fun and exciting. It made be in a really good mood when I was bored. Igraine the Brave is really adventurous and has really interesting characters! It also has suspense.
The story is about a girl who lives in a castle with her family. Her parents are both great magicians but unlike her brother, she is interested not being a magician, but to be a knight! Igraine is on an adventure with her new friends to save her castle and prevent Osmund the Greedy to steal her parents
Lacey
Jul 27, 2010 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book written by the same author that wrote Inkheart. It's listed for ages 9 - 12 but I think the younger kids would enjoy it too. It would make a good chapter book for parents to read to kids who are not at that reading level.

The story is about a 12-year-old girl who is the daughter of magicians but wants to grow up to be a knight. A magical mishap occurs and Igraine is put in a position where her knightly skills help save the day. Along her journey she meets a giant, a very sorro
Stephanie Jobe
May 02, 2012 Stephanie Jobe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I closed the book my first thought was, “Why didn’t this book exist for me as a child?” I would have read this over and over without end. For lovers of Tamora Pierce here is a book for the younger generation. The writing is seamless and simple. Every little girl will sympathize with Igraine and every big girl too. You grin at her quirky family. I personally fell in love with the sorrowful knight. This is an adventure that scoops you up and carries away and afterwards you simply wonder, “Alr ...more
Melinda
Feb 02, 2009 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, exciting adventure story of a young girl with tremendous courage. This book combines several fantasy elements that provided a visual treat for my imagination.
Igraine is such a dynamic character - so independent, fearless and loyal and only twelve years of age. She learns well from her actions to which she acted too quickly and attempts to do all possible to save her family's long-held castle. I am eager for my 9 year old daughter to read this book!
Molly
I have given this book and book on tape to a number of families and all of these get responses. This is funny, adventurous, sweet and really kept me reading. A young girl, whose family are all wizards, does not want to follow in their footsteps but wants to be a knight like her grandfather. Her parents turn themselves into pigs and the castle gets attacked who can save them? Grades 3-5
Kirsten
Dec 05, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Another Funke book, I read it for author advisory and sped through it. In the usual fashion of juvenile literature, the characters were paper thin, the dialogue was lacking in originality, and the plot was idealistic. IGRAINE THE BRAVE is a good read for young girls, perhaps around the second grade level.
Amy
Nov 24, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Lynn
Shelves: children-s-books
I like Cornelia Funke so I thought I would try this book out. It is a very sweet story of a young girl who saves teh day. I would suggest it for all the 10 year-old girls out there, and for their parents who want to let there little girls know they can grow up to be knights too!
Lauryn
Jan 14, 2016 Lauryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good easy read. Not really my level, but it was very silly and interesting.
Meredith
Jul 09, 2008 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, middle
A fun, simple knights-and-magic story. Igraine was a pleasantly vibrant character. The reader of the audio (Xanthe Elbrick) was very good with all the voices.
Marlee
Oct 16, 2014 Marlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, easy read, filled with magic, adventure, excitement, and silliness. My son (age 10) absolutely loved this book. Great characters and lots to enjoy in this book.
Jaimi Rachelle
Couldn't have been written better by anyone else. Absolutely love it!
Alexandra
Apr 07, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobooks
I owe this book my entire childhood. I love this book so much! I could read it over and over again and never get tired if it. Forever and always my favorite Childhood book!
Melissa
May 11, 2017 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable.
Jean
May 07, 2017 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ies
cute
Jaie
My daughter and I really liked this.
Victoria
finished! it was interesting but not my favorite if her stories.
Lauria
Mar 18, 2017 Lauria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun children's book with a strong girl character. How she looks is completely unimportant in this book. Instead, Funke focuses on what she wants to accomplish. The only character that thinks girls can't be knights is the bad guy and he's quickly shot down by a male knight. I'm thinking of young girls I want to give it to!
Goodreads Librari...: Obscure cover source 4 18 May 18, 2017 05:55AM
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • The Ugly Princess and the Wise Fool
  • Zorgamazoo
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Thora: A Half-Mermaid Tale
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Dragonsdale (Dragonsdale, #1)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic (Rhianna, #1)
  • The Runaway Princess (Runaway Princess, #1)
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • The Night Fairy
  • Archer's Quest
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.
More about Cornelia Funke...