Start by marking “The Daybreakers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Daybreakers

Louis L'Amour

The Daybreakers (The Sacketts #6)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,953 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Tyrel Sackett ~18, fastest Tennessee gun alive, "ugly" quiet, narrates brothers' flight west after he kills to save extrovert Orrin. Tom Sunday teaches Orrin letters, turns angry vengeful drunkard; ol' Cap Rountree stands by. Tye likes Señorita Drusilla 15; Orrin hankers after yaller hair Laura Pritts, reminds Tye of ornery bronc, her pa kills for Spaniard's land.
Mass Market Paperback, 204 pages
Published May 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published February 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Daybreakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daybreakers

Dirk Grobbelaar
Jul 05, 2015 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western

…pride and whiskey are a bad combination…

I’m intent on watching the mini-series / two part TV-movie (The Sacketts, 1979), so I’m reading the books on which it is based first. Namely: The Daybreakers & Sackett. They come conveniently collected in a Centennial Edition paperback.

So, let’s see.
What do we have here?

The gunfight(s). Check.

The moments seemed to plod, every detail stood out in sharp focus, clear and strong. Every sense, every emotion was caught and held, concentrated on that man c
Lisa Kay
The Wild Ones, by artist Andy Thomas
[image error]

This is a review of the audiobook, with excellent narration by David Strathairn. It is from first person POV, and Mr. Strathairn is at his best as a young gunslinger that uses his wits and reason as well as his talent to talk more than one man out of drawing against him. Mr. Strathairn does NOT use a falsetto voice for the innocent young female voice, but a butter soft Spanish accent. Very nice!

Still, it is a Western in
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 05, 2015 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Deciding to read the Sackett novels in chronological order was bound to have some rough jumps as they were written throughout L'Amour's career—and completely out of order. This, the sixth chronologically, was the first he published. The fourth was the last (shortly after Ride the River, my favorite so far). So I've jumped back nearly 25 years in his career with this book. And you know that's going to show.

The contrast between the books is actually an interesting one. The style is a little rockie
Aaron
May 28, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron by: Ben
The first in the long-running saga of the Sackett family, which is the sixth chronologically. Brothers Tyrel and Orrin Sackett head west and settle in Colorado, struggling against rough men and injustice as they gradually rise to the challenges of keeping their foothold in the frontier.

My first Louis L'Amour, recommended by Ben, was my first experience with a traditional Western. I'd found a gradual but significant respect for the genre in movies and TV thanks to The Dark Tower, and also noting
An Odd1
Feb 26, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
ISBN from 1980 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Tyrel Sackett ~18, fastest gun alive in Tennessee, "ugly" quiet, narrates brothers' flight west after he kills to save extrovert Orrin. Tom Sunday teaches Orrin letters, turns angry vengeful drunkard; ol' Cap Rountree stands by. Tye likes Señorita Drusilla 15 "shy of sixteen" p 16; Orrin hankers after yaller hair Laura Pritts, reminds Tye of "hammer-headed" p 11 ornery bronc, her pa kills for Spaniard's land.

1867 Santa Fe Trail p 22. Orrin
Caleb
Aug 31, 2012 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, and L’Amour is someone you should read if you’ve not done so. Long before he became pretty much THE guy for “Westerns,” he was a poet and a world traveler. He read pretty much everything and knew a lot about the world, and he honestly has a lot to teach to the modern world.

In his stories there are good guys and bad guys—period. This concept seems largely lost in modern novels (one of the reasons I read so few of them). He takes the reader back to a simpler time in American
Nov 16, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite of the Sackett books, mostly because I like Tyrell a lot. Sadly, this is the only book he narrates, and therefore the only book he plays a significant roll in, at least as far as I know of. He gets plenty of mentions in other books, mostly along the lines of "What, you're a Sackett? Are you related to the Mora Gunman?" (To which Tell Sackett replies along the lines of "Sure, he's my younger brother. We couldn't ever tell which of us was a better man with a gun. Now h ...more
Elana
May 18, 2011 Elana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, library-book
Favorite lines

"You stick your finger in the water and you pull it out, and that is how much of a whole you leave when you're gone."

"Violence is an evil thing, but when the guns are all in the hands of the men without respect for human rights then men are really in trouble."

"Folks who talk about no violence are always the ones who are first to call a policeman and usually they are sure there is one handy."

"People have a greater tolerance for evil than for violence. If crooked gamboling, thieving
Darell Schmick
Feb 24, 2011 Darell Schmick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Tye and Orrin Sackett, fast guns and close brothers, make up for transgressions out east by forging their way out West and bringing law and order with them. Written by the Danielle Steele of the western genre, Louis L’Amour doesn’t disappoint in his sixth installment of the Sackett saga.

L’Amour brings the reader right into the story--you feel the tension as an impending fast draw takes place, smell the gunsmoke, and (eventually) relax into the wonderfully described western big sky splendor. This
Vincent Darlage
Jun 07, 2015 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I really enjoyed this novel. It has some interesting character growth and changes, nice commentary about the era, and great character introspection.
Ed
Oct 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, action, western
#6 in the Sackett series (#3 in publication order). The first 5 in the series covered the 250 years from 1600 to 1850. The next 12 would cover the decade of the 1870s. Here brothers Tyrel and Orrin Sackett travel west from Tennessee until Orrin met the lovely Drusilla on her way to Santa Fe and they wound up settling in nearby Mora, New Mexico Territory.

Sackett series #6 - Tyrel Sackett was born to trouble, but vowed to justice. After having to kill a man in Tennessee, he hit the trail west with
Dyana
Apr 09, 2016 Dyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining book (#6) in the Sackett series. Except for the 1st couple of books, these can be read as stand alone stories. This one is the 1st to have that true western flavor with gunfights, ambushes, Indians, cowhands, rustlers, cattle drives, land-grabbing, etc. It takes place in 1867 and thereafter.

This one is about Tyrel and Orrin Sackett. The two must flee their home in the Tennessee mountains when Tyrel saves his brother from being shot by the last of the Higgins clan in the Sac
Lisa
Mar 08, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for a western and in doing some research I read that this book was the best of the Sackett series. It was a very good book and I would have continued reading the series if the subsequent books had been based on the two Sackett brothers in this book. Apparently the remaining books are about a brother mentioned but wasn't a part of this book. It was fast paced and had all the elements of a great western novel!
Angie Lisle
The Daybreakers: 3-stars

The story meanders and could have been edited/cleaned up for a faster-paced read but that wasn't L'Amour's style and, in the end, the meandering contributes to the theme of wandering cowpoke.

L'Amour surprises me with his female characters, with both Drusilla Alvarado and Laura Pitts, because he throws in some subtle gender role reversals.

And something else that isn't said very often about L'Amour - here's a story featuring a Mexican immigrant marrying a white boy from T
Elizabeth Means
Finished The Daybreakers and loved it, its so what like the movie which I happen to love, loved the characters and everything about the story just can't believe it took this long to read,while be reading the second part of it later.five stars all the way.
Aaron Toponce
Jan 17, 2016 Aaron Toponce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. It had the pacing for a multiple book series. While it was still predictable, I liked the feud that Tom Sunday presented, starting as a friend, then slowly souring until he's mean and dangerous. I liked that the Sacketts had finally made it went into the Rockies, and it was a more traditional cowboy story. Politics, friendships, adversaries, gun fights, and cattle driving.

There were some oddities, like Tyrell and Orrin not getting their money out of the banks in the story
Jim Peoples
Dec 02, 2014 Jim Peoples rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Tyrel Sackett was a good character to follow. He had a moral code to abide by, and just like every other Sackett, family was important to him. It was a little confusing how L'Amour took him away from his home towards the middle and brought him into moving cattle apart from Orrin. Not sure how that fit too much into the plot. But, unlike some of L'Amour's books, the ending wasn't abrupt and left one satisfied with where the character ended up. Very realistic character faced with an uncertain futu ...more
Bookworm Smith
Another classic Western story where a tough kid from the East brings justice to a fledgling town in the wild West. Apparently, this is number six in a series, yet it felt like both a stand alone novel or the beginning of an epic series. It starts at the beginning (haha), when two brothers, Tyrel and Orrin Sackett, take off to the open country of the West. They face a pile of obstacles; natives, roughnecks, gamblers, drunks, land grabbers...all the common villain types. They end up settling in a ...more
Ally
Jul 26, 2013 Ally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know there's a book where everybody says, "It's a good book. Read it, girl!" and you read it because of peer pressure and think it's a horrible book? Well, that's what I feel about The Daybreakers. I even liked the synopsis, but no matter how hard I tried to like it, I couldn't. When I read The Daybreakers, I feel like those "kinda dumb" kids in math class who can't understand simple algebra problems like x+3x+2=0. (It's x=-2, x=-1. I'm really good at math, so don't try to message me and yel ...more
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
The Daybreakers is the story of how and why the Sacketts moved west from their home in the Tennessee mountains. To save his brother’s life, Tyrel Sackett is forced to gun a man down. Fearing trouble with the law, Ma urges Tyrel to head west and stake a claim so the family can have a place of their own on the frontier. Tyrel and his brother Orrin set out together.

Orrin and Tyrel soon take up with a cattle outfit to make a little money. It isn't long, however, before the enterprising brothers de
Adam Powers
Mar 16, 2013 Adam Powers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read a few Western novels before, although I have read a couple by L'Amour. This is a solid genre novel with a plot that kept me reading, even though I am not a big reader in this genre. The characters are well drawn and seem realistic for the most part, and the main character, also the narrator, has his strengths and limitations. Tyrel Sackett, the protagonist and narrator, is a young guy with spit in his soul that manages to cause us to like him for his honesty and integrity despit ...more
Thomas Nall
Jul 14, 2013 Thomas Nall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Well... My first L'Amour and I don't know why I waited til age 46 to read one. I guess I thought that a 50 year old western novel would be too un-eventful or out of touch, but on the contrary. The story and characters are real... way more real than, say, what one might expect from a 50 year old black and white western movie, not withstanding that I like the old westerns, when I'm of a certain mood.

I certainly would recommend this particular book, and I suspect, the others as well based on what
Natalie
I'm not done with this book, but I'm ready to write a review... I'm close. I started reading this book because my grandfather has ALL of Louis L'Amour's books. I recently inherited them. I am a naturally nostalgic person and sometimes read and re-read things because they evoke nostalgic feelings. I wanted to be reminded of my grandfather. I sometimes watch westerns for the same reason... they make me feel cozy. This book delivered on this desire, but... it was also pretty dang good!

I liked this
Daniel
Oct 24, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
"The Daybreakers" is the first book I've read by Louis L'Amour, and it's easy to see why he's considered one of the best writers of westerns. L'Amour gives his characters a degree of humanity often lacking in genre fiction, stepping away from the plot at times to explore their relationships with one another. While the writing largely serves to move the story forward, it's also crisp, lively, and far better than one would expect from a novelist who churned out several books a year.

"The Daybreaker
Dec 06, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And the Sacketts finally make it west of the Appalachians....I liked Tye, but Orrin not as much. The friend-turned-enemy element of the story added some dramatic depth, but I was disappointed that Louis L'Amour let the bad guy go in the end. A shoot out between Tye and Jonathan Pritts obviously wouldn't have been a fair fight, so not the right way to end the book, but with all Tye's talk about justice and the courts and fair trials, shouldn't he at least have put the murderous thief in jail?
Mandi Ellsworth
I really like Louis L'Amour books. I picked this one up from a yard sale and laughed my way through a lot of it. I was amazed by how comically L'Amour voiced the narrator. He came up with some of the best ways to describe things the way a back-woods boy from Tennessee would have, and I love that kind of ingenuity in authors.

This is the story of two brothers who have to leave Tennessee and make their way in the wild west. They hire on as cowboys and do that for a while, then settle in Santa Fe, w
Dylan Osborne
Dec 06, 2012 Dylan Osborne is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading a Loius L'amour western called The Daybreakers. It's about 2 brothers who leave home to start a ranch out west and the troubles they face on their way. This is a book for all ages. They start out in Appalachia as subsistence farmers. They hear about all the west has to offer and decide to try their luck in this new, uncharted territory. On the way they encounter Indians, outlaws and a few good men. Some of whom they start their ranch with.

There are some very exciting events in this b
Jed
Nov 16, 2015 Jed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would suggest the book to anyone who likes to read westerns. This book is about two brothers who both try to organize a town full of violence. There happens to be a murder and the two have to hunt down the murderers. Along the way one of the two brothers meets a friendly women. This girl supposedly is supplying the murderers with supplies. Will the two brothers turn against the women or will they help her out.
Melinda
Apr 09, 2015 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is my favorite one of the Sackett series. Tyrell is my favorite of the Sackett brothers and this novel is told from his point of view. I became interested I t reading the Sackett series after seeing the TV movie The Sacketts as a teenager. I do admit I had a crush on Jeff Osterhage who played Tyrell. This lead me to read the Sackett series and westerns and expanded the genres I enjoy reading. Being a history teacher with the Westward Movement being one of my favorite time p ...more
Kalel
Excellent. Loved this book. This book is truly an excellent read. A classical western. The action was superbly drawn and I really loved the development of Tyrell Sackett from a wet behind the ear but deadly gun to a honorable man in only a few years. The relationship and tension shown between Orin and Tom Sunday made for a tense, suspenseful read, while one waited for the action to unfold. I enjoyed the sweet romance between Tyrell and Drusialla and was quiet pleased with the book from the begin ...more
  • Desert Gold
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Untamed
  • Return of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #2)
  • Sudden
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand
  • The Sky-Liners

“violence is an evil thing, but when the guns are all in the hands of the men without respect for human rights, then men are really in trouble.” 21 likes
“You stick your finger in the water and you pull it out, and that is how much of a hole you leave when you're gone.” 16 likes