Start by marking “Getting Over Tom” as Want to Read:
Getting Over Tom

Getting Over Tom

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Welcome to the delightful array of smart and sassy women who valiantly -- and hilariously -- struggle with the eternal battle of the sexes in this gutsy collection of stories.

Child brides, misguided newlyweds, and lusty middle-aged grandmothers are just a few of the characters Abigail Thomas brings to life in these wise and witty stories about women of all ages trying to

Published November 1st 1995 by Scribner (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Over Tom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Over Tom

Anne Green
Described as a collection of stories about women at various stages of their lives grappling with relationship problems (usually involving mothers or men), this had instant appeal for me. I liked the author's voice, she has a rather quirky style that suits these types of stories. Some however worked better than others. I found the ones involving older women, rather than younger, held more authenticity (perhaps because I'm an older woman myself!).

For me there were two that stood out - "Modern Lov
Kathleen
Because I have indulged myself in Abigail Thomas’ writing during the past two months, I know these short stories, published in 1994, were written before her husband’s accident and death and her daughter’s breast cancer. And because her memoir writings reveal her darkest moments and joyful insights, I feel I know Abigail Thomas and now am a bit protective of her.

These short stories are about mothers, daughters, girlfriends, and the men in their lives. All the daring and bravado and brashness and
Gina
Great stories. The second to last one nearly made me cry...having to push a former love of your life away because you know on a practical level that they're all wrong for you. Abigail Thomas has a great voice, and some of the moments she describes will make you gasp because they're so subtle, but you know you've lived them yourself.
Marie
Apr 09, 2009 Marie added it
Shelves: didn-t_finish
Couldn't get into this one. I read the first three stories, and they all followed the same formula: two "quirky" girls and their slightly out of touch mom do nothing, and nothing happens. Ho hum.
Farah
It was only in the last 50 pages or so that the book finally became mildly interesting, making the first 150 or so pages a tad torturous to read. No, torturous is a strong word. Mundane. Drab. Blah.

The one comfort I take in reading books I don't like all that much is I feel reassured of my writing abilities: if this book can make it through the publishing world, so can anything I write.
Beth
Another great book by Abigail Thomas. Here's an example of her style:
Bunny's problems are all inside Bunny's head. She gets terrible pictures in her mind. For instance, there is a NO PARKING sign loose on a pole near where her mother works. It looks to Bunny as if it might go sailing off one day, and she has imagined it flying through the air and splitting her mother's skull exactly in two, like a meat cleaver. Every time Bunny has passed the sign she has meant to remind her mother to be careful
Keri
I liked a few of the stories in this collection - Modern Love, A Tooth for Every Child and my favorite, Buddy's Best Work.
Linda
Another fabulous Abigal Thomas book!!!! Only women of a certain age will understand this book and perhaps women of a certain background. AT once funny and poignant, the love stories and stories of women and their children and their bad decisions when raising children can raise some ghosts or give you a sense of solidarity. The insights into aging and loss are dead on.
Megan
May 05, 2008 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Megan by: found it in a used book store
It followed no story. it was just a bucnch of info on characters that never developed. it was a waste of a read. i think about all the great stories waiting to be published. and this is whats out there? finished it in a couple hours. i needed a quick read for a flight. disappointing
Abby Sominski
This author has written memoirs and essays and having read them I found this collection of short stories very enjoyable.
Joshua Boydstun
The crap you'll read to get on the same page as your high school girlfriend....
Nicky
I really like the way she writes, but the stories didn't grab me.
Darla
I bought this book because I was doing exactly what the title says.
Ed
Some stories are so lucid and clear and perfect it seems like a joke.
sarahjmckay
I love Thomas's style. Terrific short stories.
Kelley Clink
Funny, feminist, delightful. A 24hr. read.
Barbara Coe
easy and entertaining.
Amy Ingram
Amy Ingram marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Kim
Kim added it
Aug 07, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Marcella Curry
Marcella Curry marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Moji Abedin
Moji Abedin marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Eloise Scott
Eloise Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
ellen rosman
ellen rosman marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Prelude
  • Acts of God
  • To Feel Stuff
  • The Z Word (Apocalypse Babes, #1)
  • Click
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • Picture Perfect
  • House of Thieves
  • Half in Love: Stories
  • Love In A Blue Time
  • Life at These Speeds
  • Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling
  • The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club and Other Stories
  • Sweet Revenge: The Intimate Life of Simon Cowell
  • The Corner That Held Them
  • Edith's Diary
  • Given Ground
  • Second Paradigm
A Three Dog Life Safekeeping: Some True Stories from a Life What Comes Next and How to Like It: A Memoir Thinking About Memoir An Actual Life