Start by marking “Getting Over Tom” as Want to Read:
Getting Over Tom

Getting Over Tom

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Welcome to the delightful array of smart and sassy women who valiantly -- and hilariously -- struggle with the eternal battle of the sexes in this gutsy collection of stories.

Child brides, misguided newlyweds, and lusty middle-aged grandmothers are just a few of the characters Abigail Thomas brings to life in these wise and witty stories about women of all ages trying to

Published November 1st 1995 by Scribner (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Over Tom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Over Tom

Anne Green
Sep 12, 2014 Anne Green rated it liked it
Described as a collection of stories about women at various stages of their lives grappling with relationship problems (usually involving mothers or men), this had instant appeal for me. I liked the author's voice, she has a rather quirky style that suits these types of stories. Some however worked better than others. I found the ones involving older women, rather than younger, held more authenticity (perhaps because I'm an older woman myself!).

For me there were two that stood out - "Modern Lov
Elizabeth Marro
Jun 18, 2016 Elizabeth Marro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
n “Modern Love,” one of the stories from this collection, the narrator Connie says, “I have lived long enough not to interrupt a silence.” It is one of many deceptively simple sentences that made me stop reading for a breath or two. The writing and voices are remarkable in these accounts of early adolescence, premature marriage, and the moment when one is “pushing down the tall grasses near the land of menopause.” The twelve stories are divided into three sections. Each marks the threshold of a ...more
Kathleen
Because I have indulged myself in Abigail Thomas’ writing during the past two months, I know these short stories, published in 1994, were written before her husband’s accident and death and her daughter’s breast cancer. And because her memoir writings reveal her darkest moments and joyful insights, I feel I know Abigail Thomas and now am a bit protective of her.

These short stories are about mothers, daughters, girlfriends, and the men in their lives. All the daring and bravado and brashness and
Gina Rose
Jan 25, 2011 Gina Rose rated it really liked it
Great stories. The second to last one nearly made me cry...having to push a former love of your life away because you know on a practical level that they're all wrong for you. Abigail Thomas has a great voice, and some of the moments she describes will make you gasp because they're so subtle, but you know you've lived them yourself.
Farah
Oct 24, 2014 Farah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It was only in the last 50 pages or so that the book finally became mildly interesting, making the first 150 or so pages a tad torturous to read. No, torturous is a strong word. Mundane. Drab. Blah.

The one comfort I take in reading books I don't like all that much is I feel reassured of my writing abilities: if this book can make it through the publishing world, so can anything I write.
Beth
Sep 06, 2007 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: shortstories
Another great book by Abigail Thomas. Here's an example of her style:
Bunny's problems are all inside Bunny's head. She gets terrible pictures in her mind. For instance, there is a NO PARKING sign loose on a pole near where her mother works. It looks to Bunny as if it might go sailing off one day, and she has imagined it flying through the air and splitting her mother's skull exactly in two, like a meat cleaver. Every time Bunny has passed the sign she has meant to remind her mother to be careful
Christy
Jan 26, 2016 Christy rated it liked it
Abigail Thomas is a fantastic writer. I love the way she uses language to draw you in and make you care.
Keri
Apr 11, 2015 Keri rated it liked it
I liked a few of the stories in this collection - Modern Love, A Tooth for Every Child and my favorite, Buddy's Best Work.
Fernanda Bueno
Apr 04, 2016 Fernanda Bueno rated it liked it
Not bad.
Linda
Feb 17, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous Abigal Thomas book!!!! Only women of a certain age will understand this book and perhaps women of a certain background. AT once funny and poignant, the love stories and stories of women and their children and their bad decisions when raising children can raise some ghosts or give you a sense of solidarity. The insights into aging and loss are dead on.
Megan
May 05, 2008 Megan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Megan by: found it in a used book store
It followed no story. it was just a bucnch of info on characters that never developed. it was a waste of a read. i think about all the great stories waiting to be published. and this is whats out there? finished it in a couple hours. i needed a quick read for a flight. disappointing
Abby Sominski
Jan 06, 2008 Abby Sominski rated it really liked it
This author has written memoirs and essays and having read them I found this collection of short stories very enjoyable.
Joshua Boydstun
Nov 30, 2007 Joshua Boydstun rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, author-woman
The crap you'll read to get on the same page as your high school girlfriend....
Nicky
May 17, 2010 Nicky rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, xx, short-stuff
I really like the way she writes, but the stories didn't grab me.
Darla
Sep 01, 2007 Darla rated it liked it
I bought this book because I was doing exactly what the title says.
Ed
Jun 21, 2008 Ed rated it really liked it
Some stories are so lucid and clear and perfect it seems like a joke.
sarahjmckay
Jul 29, 2008 sarahjmckay rated it it was amazing
I love Thomas's style. Terrific short stories.
Kelley Clink
Jul 13, 2012 Kelley Clink rated it really liked it
Funny, feminist, delightful. A 24hr. read.
Barbara Coe
Jan 10, 2014 Barbara Coe rated it liked it
easy and entertaining.
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I loved it.
Donna Azure
Donna Azure marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Suzanne Gillis
Suzanne Gillis marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Kris Parker
Kris Parker marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Janice
Janice added it
May 25, 2016
J
J added it
May 22, 2016
Awanthi Vardaraj
Awanthi Vardaraj marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
  • You'll Enjoy It When You Get There: The Selected Stories of Elizabeth Taylor
  • Prelude
  • Acts of God
  • To Feel Stuff
  • The Z Word (Apocalypse Babes, #1)
  • House of Thieves
  • Picture Perfect
  • Click
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • Love In A Blue Time
  • Teahouse of the Almighty
  • A Family Daughter
  • Life at These Speeds
  • The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks
  • Girl Trouble: Stories