Start by marking “Wonton Soup: Space Trucker Opera” as Want to Read:
Wonton Soup: Space Trucker Opera

Wonton Soup: Space Trucker Opera (Wonton Soup #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Johnny Boyo could have had it all. Women. Money. Fame. As one of the premiere chefs in the galaxy, Johnny's culinary skills could have made him a star. So with everything he ever dreamed of his for the taking, why would Johnny leave it all behind to become a space trucker? Not even Citrus Watts, the girl he left behind, knows for sure. With the sizzle of life in the kitche ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Oni Press (first published April 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wonton Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonton Soup

Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog

Sometimes, zaniness can be endearing, as with Tank Girl. Or it can be very hip, as with Scott Pilgrim. But I struggled through most of this purportedly unique title, unsure why I should invest in the characters, story, or plot. Silly names, slacker leads, generic sci fi, and a noticeable lack of witty bon mots ensured this didn't live up to the promise of the cover or art.

Story: Johnny Boyo, a space trucker, and his cowo
Tippy Jackson
Marleafs-"Since they're so low on the food chain, The marleafs have adopted an undeniable cuteness to guilt away any predators."

The fifth star is just for the 2.25 pages explaining the Marleaf. And also for the Magma carp. Mmmmm Edible space Pokemon.

I love the universe created here and it's fun to follow these two guys around in it.

There's also the pussy space ninjas-'cause really when you float around in space for 3 years, you become a weakling.

And the CXL spice paste-it's made up of million
Jan 20, 2008 Chadwick rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: umm, people who like silly manga about cooking, i guess
Shelves: comics
Oh Brian Lee O'Malley, what have you unleashed? This is a sloppily written, thinly characterized amerimanga that owes a massive stylistic debt to Scott Pilgrim, and ends up cheapening that great work as a result. It is enjoyable enough, in a throwaway sense, but enh. Nicely drawn, but what is not cribbed from O'Malley's manga-influenced style comes full-cloth from Jamie Hewlett and Philip Bond, with some Moebius thrown in for good measure. Nice influences, but how you you draw, James? Also, ...more
Nicholas Aune
Yeah I'm a dork. This is a story of a chef who walked away from it all but has to pick up the pan again to compete in an intergalactic cook off with ninjas.

How is that not awesome.

I was a bit disappointed by this one - I knew that this guy was in the same comic collective with Brandon Graham, and that they are both big influences on each other, so I had hoped it would be at an equal level of quality to his stuff (and maybe make me feel better about the fact that King City 2 won't get published). Not really the case, though. For a book about cooking, there wasn't a whole lot of cooking, and what was there is pretty silly. (Also, the chef guy talks about making one thing tw ...more
Jan 01, 2008 Korynn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantastical foodies
Shelves: graphicnovels
Inspired by the concept of Iron Chef this volume combines sci-fi with cooking. Our protagonist is a space trucker who has been escaping his legend. He is also a chef. But he is no ordinary chef... he loves the challenge of cooking recipes of extreme precision with ingredients that mean life or death for the chef if combined or cooked improperly. In a sense, he has been using his time wandering through the galaxies as a chance to learn the next great recipe. This leads to a grand challenge for a ...more
Stokoe has consistently been a strong creative force on the independent, creator-owned front. Admittedly his output is long and far in between, but the end result is well worth it, considering it's an one man team.

Wonton Soup: Space Trucker Opera is the first in a duology, and it's a masterpiece. Who doesn't like going out in a space truck with a bunch of lunatics who can slice and dice space ninjas with the ease one would a Graflumpokian cucumber?

The brilliant stroke in this series is the shee
Synopsis: Iron Chef + Space Truckers... pretty much

To start, I love these sorts of comics. I don't care if the story isn't developed enough to make me cry tears or inspiration or think about my life, I just like me some good, imaginative but strange comics awesomeness, so Wonton Soup pretty much hit the spot for me. No doubt, a lot of folks won't have the patience for such compressed awesomeness (with considerably less compressed plot movement) but if you're just looking for fun comics, I would
it's about cooking (think iron chef crossed with star wars). it breaks (ensign?) chekov's law by not refusing to fire the weapon of interplanetary oblivion alluded to in the first act. it's about cooking. "To me, this is what cooking is all about. Trying to hit new flavors that have never been tasted. There's that old saying: 'Everything's been done, Nothing's original.' That's just what people with no passion say when they've run out of ideas. Fuck those people." It's not King City but it doesn ...more
Nenia Campbell

|| Twitter || || Facebook || || Booklikes || Pinterest ||

I won the omnibus edition from Netgalley but I'm reviewing the two volumes separately because I liked one a lot more than the other and they're really quite different in terms of content.

WONTON SOUP: SPACE TRUCKER OPERA is about Johnny Boyo and Deacon Vans, two "space truckers." Johnny is a galaxy-renowned chef, and much of the book is about his super-sekrit interstellar recipes, and all the weird stuff he's eaten.

Matt Piechocinski
Story's kind of dumb, but Stokoe's there's just something about Stokoe's art that makes plowing through worth it.
First half (vol 1) was decent, but the second half (vol 2) suuuuuuucked.
Jul 16, 2012 Jaap added it
Oh man, high octane strips. Wonton soup is nice. Aan het begin (net als bij Stokoe's Orc Stain) weet je even niet wat er allemaal aan de hand is met vreemde namen en malle titels en vreemde plaatsen enzo, maar na een tijdje heb je het door en dan gaat het gewoon over een dude.

Nee het is echt heel tof, hoewel de meat van het boek zich pas bevind in het tweede deel.
Jul 03, 2010 Mza rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mza by: Big Planet
... Anthony Bourdain in slangy outer space. Low on plot, dramatic tension. High on dynamic manga-flavoured posing, digressive interstices, detailed drawing of stuff that looks fun to draw. I like that the girlfriend is full-figured and the meal ingredients are sentient.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Feb 18, 2008 Candice M (tinylibrarian) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of food, cooking and Iron Chef
Pros: Features interesting art and humorous if somewhat contrived names of space ingredients. A fun read, especially if you can check it out from your local library. (And yes, I'm adding it to my branch's collection.) Cons: Will make you crave non-existent Asian space food.
May 21, 2010 Chriss rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: comics-and-manga
It was okay. Much more lewd than I expected. There are a lot made up words that don't sound sci-fi-y but just plain fake. A bit of a disappointment since the description sounded like it would be good.
Stuff like this shouldn't work. A science fiction story about a guy who leaves cooking school to become a space trucker? Seriously?

Seriously. This book was seriously fun. I can't wait to get Volume 2.
Loved the story, LOVED the art.
Fun to see what Iron Chef could be like if there was a larger element of death involved. Also, a larger element of aliens. :) Every cooking show needs more aliens.
Jul 31, 2008 Deb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies who like SF
This comic has a pretty original main character: the guy travels around, unearths recipes he's heard rumors of, then turns cooking into a life & death extreme sport.

I'd totally hit that.
This wasnt for me but I concede that it has cool art at the least. If I had to describe this , Scott Pilgrim taking place in Futurama's universe with an Iron Chef plot.
It's nice to hear from a different (fictional) perspective within a well worn mythos. James Stokoe's art fits the subject and dialog wonderfully, as well. Very fun!
Feb 18, 2009 Erin added it
Vulgar and really silly, but it had me laughing all the way. I might not buy this for a school collection, but I would in a public library.
I'm not a big fan of the foodie culture or competitive cooking shows, but this was a decently funny skewering of them, as well as the sci-fi genre.
Sep 22, 2010 Pete rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf, comics
Crazy. Love Stokoe's art. His writing is just insane though, just seems like a million crazy ideas coming at you rapid fire.
Really out-there story that is essentially Firefly meets Iron Chef on acid. Pretty fun read.
Loved it. Very original in the details and lots of fun to read.
A space travelers cooking show with cool looking background art.
Jul 14, 2014 Jillyn added it
Shelves: ebook
Review to come.
Jay Dougherty
Jay Dougherty is currently reading it
Nov 28, 2015
  • Supermarket
  • King City, Volume 1
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 2.0
  • Get a Life
  • Hellstar Remina
  • Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy
  • Detroit Metal City, Vol. 1 (Detroit Metal City, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 2
  • Mesmo Delivery
  • Sentences: The Life of MF Grimm
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • A Boy & a Girl
  • King of Thorn 2 (King of Thorn, #2)
  • The Man Who Grew His Beard
  • Quin's Shanghai Circus
  • Rasl
  • The Once and Future Destroyer (Glory, #1)

Wonton Soup (3 books)