Big Chickens Fly the Coop

Big Chickens Fly the Coop

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The four big chickens who were afraid of everything in their wellreceived debut, Big Chickens, are now feeling all cooped up, so they set off to find the farmhouse. But where, the hapless hens wonder, is it? First they find a doghouse (loud barking!); then they run into a tractor (ewww, dirty!); and then they stomp into the barn (wild horses!). Who knew the farmhouse was r...more
Published January 24th 2008 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Big Chickens Fly the Coop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Chickens Fly the Coop

Scope
No group of people on earth enjoy a sequel as much as kids. Sometimes it seems like if you slap a “2″ at the end of a book or movie, youngsters take that to mean “times 2″. Twice as cool, twice as funny, twice as good. Kids go into a part deux boldly: familiar with the content and hopeful for the best. Adults, on the other hand, can be fearful of sequels, afraid that it may not live up to the original. I’m guilty of this as well. Heck, I’ve even been scared to listen to side B of an album, think...more
Kylee Myers
Four big chickens want to leave the coop to explore the farmhouse. Once they leave, they discover things that they had never known before. The fist time they left, they discovered big slobbery dogs, which lead them back to their coop. Next they were encountered by a crazy tractor! They immediately went back to their coop. The third time they flew the coop, the encountered wild, bucking horses!They immediately went back to their coop. They decided to take one last chance which finally lead them t...more
Catharine Keeffe
A fun story about chickens overcoming their fears! Teaches kids to be fearless!
Luann
I haven't read the first Big Chicken book, but I'm thinking I should. This is fun and I love the illustrations of the chickens - especially the expressions on their faces - as they have all sorts of adventures (involving a dog, a tractor, and horses) on their quest to find the farmhouse. Pair this one with Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken for a different take on chickens and adventures.
Linda
Great book cluck full of adjectives, adverbs, and wonderful chicken expressions!
Carol
A flock of nervous chickens are trying to explore the barnyard beyond their hen-house. Their ultimate destination is to see the view from the farmhouse. After many failed attempts to get there, they finally succeed only to find it wasn't as exciting as they had hoped. Not necessarily an amazing story, but the illustrations were great! Don't get me wrong, the story is fun, especially to read-aloud.
Christina
This is a cute story about four chickens that are too afraid to go outside of their coop, so they are unfamiliar with where the farmhouse is located. After confusing the farmhouse for the doghouse and stables, they finally reach their destination. This book shares the lesson that you should not be afraid of going after what you want. Your fears should not prevent you from following your dreams.
Angela Moorer
The chickens in this tale bring new meaning to the phrase "there's no place like home". The chickens want to fly the coop and see the world outside of what they are exposed to daily. This can be used to practice predicting with students as well as sequence.
Dawn
We read this so e time ago, but my son brought it up again today. I am going to have to get it again. He thought it was funny and giggled through the whole thing. There was a time that the only books he wanted to hear were the ones that took place on a farm.
Amber Cooper
A great book for sensory words and adjectives! A tale of four chickens seeking an adventure to the farm house encounter some obstacles on the way. This book is great for younger elementary,it is definitely comical which is sure to get children laughing!
Aberdeen Children's
This is a very cute picute book. The illustrations and colors are wonderfully exclamatory!! The elements of fear and surprise are both present when four chickens discover life on the farm. This book would be appropriate for pr-K through gr. 2.
Vicki
Hilarious read-a-loud book for three and four-year olds. This is one book I don't tire of reading time and time and time again. The alliteration, rhyming and repetition make this such a fun, unique book.
Edna
Very funny story about four curious older chickens whose determined curiosity drive them to venture out of their comfortable coop in search of the farmhouse where they think wonderful things are kept.
Vicki
These chickens are BIG chickens when it comes to exploring their world. The repetitive phrase "We should've stayed home" will engage school age listeners to this funny book. Beautiful illustrations!
Jessica Hancock
Good book to use in a literacy class. Could meet many reading and writing standards. Lots of words in some parts that are a little hard so practice this many times if planning to use for a read aloud.
Erica Eyestone
Good story about chickens who want to go on an adventure to see the farmhouse. They fail a bunch of times but when they finally succeed they realize it wasn't too far from their coop.
Lauren Brown
A laugh-out-loud book that had me wanting more. Super funny, but a little repetitive. The pictures are really cute as well. Such a fun book to get young children involved.
Nadelle
My 4 year old picked this from the library to read together. It was fun to read aloud. Lots of activity, creative rhymes and good illustrations.
Cindy
Same as Big Chickens Go To Town. The first one is just too good and it would be hard to match it. The illustrations in all 3 books are lots of fun.
Karla
More chicken fun when Big Chickens decide to take a trip to see the farmhouse. Good rhyming, lots of repetition. Even funnier than the first!
Megan
Hilarious story of nervous chickens who encounter scary things (dogs, tractors, etc.) in their quest to find the farmhouse. Great read-aloud.
Denise
This is probably a tad too long for preschoolers to use during storytime, but a good rhyming book for K-2 with new vocabulary.
Tina
"repetition, adventure, chickens, farm, humorous, 4 brave chickens don't let challenges stop them"
Allison
Used it to demo the book club structure. Would be great for describing words and rhyming too.
Tricia
as a chicken book sucker, i wanted to like it. but it was just okay. sad panda.
Dona
Funny illustrations of silly chickens trying to get from the hen house to the farmhouse.
Eileen
Repition of phrases makes a good choice for storytime, plus illustrations are funny.
Kim
Nice repetition in a story about ridiculous chickens and overcoming fears.
Shalana
Cute story, Jr loved it. Guess we're buying this too. Loved the illustrations.
Marilyn
This is fun. TONS of verbs and onomatopoeia. Fun, predictable repetition.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »