Start by marking “Home School” as Want to Read:
Home School

Home School

2.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Finally, the sequel to the international bestseller andone of the most classic movies of all time, The Graduate, has arrived.

At the end of Charles Webb’s first novel, The Graduate, Benjamin Braddock rescues his beloved Elaine from a marriage made not in heaven, but in California. For over forty years, legions of fans have wondered what happened to the young couple after Th
Published January 8th 2008 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published July 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Home School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home School

Arren
Nov 10, 2011 Arren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
I bought my copy of the Home School at a nearby thrift store for books, even though I am yet to have a copy of The Graduate book.

Home School was basically how Elaine and Benjamin would go lengths just to stand by their decision to have their children home schooled, even going ridiculous ways, ie. having Mrs. Robinson, now Nan, do the things she was well, great in, ie. seduction. Who can forget the epic line, “Are you seducing me, Mrs. Robinson?”

It was well, short. Really short, even. Had I not b
Peter William Warn
Apr 04, 2012 Peter William Warn rated it really liked it

Summary: Mrs. Robinson seduces again. Charles Webb revisits the main characters from The Graduate. Anyone unfamiliar with either that novel or the cherished 1967 movie version probably will not be amused. Because there are almost no descriptions, fans of adjectives should look elsewhere.

_____

Home School, Charles Webb's follow-up to his debut novel The Graduate, features a scheme so sordid it makes Benjamin Braddock hyperventilate when he thinks about it. The person who dreamed it up must be desp
Anne
Mar 02, 2008 Anne rated it did not like it
Home School is the sequel to Webb's much celebrated novel, The Graduate. The book takes place 15 years after Ben and Elaine's fateful bus-escape from her almost-wedding to Carl. They are living in New York with their two elementary school aged sons whom they home-schooling. When the local school district threatens to force the children to enroll in public school, Ben and Elaine call out to Mrs. Robinson for help. The majority of the story is told through dialogue - which may be helpful if anyone ...more
Thames Robinson
Jul 27, 2008 Thames Robinson rated it did not like it
Supposedly a sequel to The Graduate, this entire book is permeated with, either in reality or in thought, the presence of Mrs. Robinson. Benjamin has married Elaine, they have two sons and live in north east suburbia. Benjamin homeschools the boys so they will not have the sort of education thrust upon them that he had. He wants them to learn to think.

Because of taking the boys out of government school, the Braddocks run into trouble with school authorities. They call upon the nymphomaniac in C
Kim
Jan 30, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Pretty funny book especially if you have seen or read The Graduate. This book picks up a few years later. Benjamin and Elaine are homeschooling their kids and run into a problem with the local principal who has the power to make them put their kids back into school. You have to remember that this would have been during the 70's when there wasn't as many people homeschooling as there are now. There is also a family that those of us who have homeschooled will definitely know!
Pauline  Butcher Bird
Jul 23, 2013 Pauline Butcher Bird rated it really liked it
This wonderful book which follows The Graduate ten years on is beautifully crafted and full of surprises. The odd-ball supporting cast like Goya who breast-feeds her nine-year old son is a hoot. I could feel the well-meaning heart of Benjamin and Elaine's efforts to school their two sons at home and although it's hilariously funny, strangely the ending left me feeling very sad for reasons I can't explain.

The succinct dialogue between Benjamin and Elaine is wonderful. For example,
'Speak,' Elaine
Ralph
Jun 24, 2008 Ralph rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
In Altman's The Player, the sequel to the Graduate is pitched as a absolutely horrid comedy where Mrs. Robinson lives downstairs from Benjamin and Elaine and they get into all sorts of zany trouble. That movie within a movie would have been better than the travesty titled "Home School." There's absolutely no reason on earth this book should have ever been written as a sequel to the Graduate. It makes this book a thousand times worse to have those beloved icons of the 60s turned into trite, flat ...more
Walter Buchignani
Jan 16, 2013 Walter Buchignani rated it liked it
Was looking forward to this, because The Graduate remains among my all-time favourite reads. In the end, the follow-up leaves me with mixed feelings. The mostly masterful use of dialogue is unmistakably Charles Webb, but at times borders on the annoying in its wanderings. The plot is reminiscent of the original in its quirkiness, but then veers toward the unbelievable. As for the protagonists, despite their flaws, you might have felt some sympathy for them before; now, none of the characters is ...more
Ken
Sep 02, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
Just discovered that Webb wrote a "sequel" to The Graduate which is one of my top 10 movies and was a book I really liked too.

Plus I found out that Webb and his wife (her name is Eve but she changed it to Fred) managed a nudist camp in Basking Ridge, NJ for some time.

This book is set 11 years after Ben took Elaine from the altar. And, yes, Mrs. Robinson is back.

The reviews here are not good, but I'm going to read it just because.

Disappointing. The dialogue (one of his strengths, I thin
Daniel
Apr 07, 2015 Daniel rated it did not like it
I think that is was my stated opinion "Revisionists annoy me when their dislike of things seems genuine" that got me in trouble with an uneducated locksmith who also runs a printing press. And I only say this because we both seemingly agreed with my other stated opinion of "Sleeping through films is no way to fairly judge them."

Of course, I might have gotten myself in trouble with the uneducated locksmith who also runs a printing press when I rubbed him in his fat, fat belly and said "Erik Estra
Allison
Jul 23, 2008 Allison rated it it was ok
I cannot say I learned anything from this novel other than sometimes a smutty novel is an enjoyable one. This novel gives a unique (and sometimes raunchy) view of life in suburban America. It reminds the reader that no household is without skeletons in the closet and that no family is perfect. Although after the first 1/3 of the book I was ready to be done with the novel Webb's use of character kept me reading. There were multiple characters who were so different than those found in traditional ...more
ABC
Sep 27, 2009 ABC rated it it was ok
Shelves: teens-and-adults
This book is a sequel to The Graduate. It is several years later, and Benjamin and Elaine are homeschooling their two sons, way back before homeschooling was normal. Grandma comes to visit. Basically, though it felt like another story and another family with the names Benjamin, Elaine, and Mrs. Robinson tacked on to the characters.
There were some amusing parts, but I couldn't stand the storyline. This book feels like it will end up in the one dollar bargain bin at your local bookstore, which is
Kim
Apr 16, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this sequel to 'The Graduate' although I think you would need to have read that first before going on to this one. Not a classic but I thought the storyline was quite good, highly amusing in places.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it liked it
True
misha
Apr 06, 2008 misha rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, 2008
About half way through it, and I am not loving the book. It's... ok.

The only thing that I'm finding interesting about it is that the culture of home schooling (fighting The Man to home school so that your child can get a better education) is what most closely matches my experience with home schooling. It used to be that you home schooled your kids so that they could learn more... not learn less.

Update... this book is terrible, and was a total waste of time.
Peg
Aug 11, 2009 Peg rated it it was ok
An amusing 229 page sequel to The Graduate. Fast forward to Benjamin Braddock's life with his wife Elaine, 11 years after their marriage. Living in Westchester County, NY with two sons they are home schooling.
Estranged from Elaine's mother "Mrs. Robinson," but enlist her help in blackmailing a member of the community trying to block their home schooling of the boys. She, once again, becomes a force that is hard to deal with in their lives (the mother-in-law from hell.)
Nicole
Sep 01, 2008 Nicole rated it it was ok
This book caught my eye at the library. It was midly entertaining, but it did hold my interest. Elaine and Ben from the graduate are homeschooling their kids, and there is consistent reference to this, but it is mostly about their dysfunctional relationship with her mother, Mrs. Robinson - can you imagine trying to have a relationship with your mother when you know she slept with your husband? Weird.
Douglas
Mar 19, 2008 Douglas rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
I couldn't resist the temptation, but probably should have. At least it was a quick read. The premise was odd. Stacking the odd characters in the house with the history laden characters had to add up to something. But it fell short, and I was left with the lingering feeling that these were all just representations, that he was going for larger social commentary. If so, it was lost on me.
Marvin
Jul 31, 2009 Marvin rated it it was ok
In this sequel to The Graduate, Benjamin & Elaine are now married, with two sons they're home schooling in the early, controversial days (perhaps about 1980--the time is never specified), & living in suburban New England. Mrs. Robinson comes to visit, wreaking havoc on the family. With crisp, stark dialog that doesn't feel very real, the satiric story moves very fast.
Anderson Evans
Mar 01, 2008 Anderson Evans rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Jason Biggs fans
The Graduate is my favorite movie of all time, and I loved the book as well. The day this came into the Books-A-Million I work at, I bought it. Wow, did it blow. My God, I've never been more disappointed in a book. I may as well have read some Fannie Flagg or something. I refuse to believe this is the future Benjamin Braddock was so damned worried about.
Yzobelle
May 07, 2013 Yzobelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't have read this if not for its title being relevant to my current study. Am glad this book can be read in one sitting and that I didn't have to spend more time on it. The story is rather shallow... too shallow that I'd recommend it NOT to be read. The characters were so poorly built,the language was so dry, and the plot was simply a drag.
Cheryl
Mar 29, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it
This book was published in 2007. (I checked, twice). It seems like he started writing it in 1970 - before cell phones, before home schooling was considered "normal", and before people had modern conveniences.
And then, suddenly he finished it without going back and at least updating the technology. What an anachronistic book. Luckily it was short.
Marissa Morrison
Aug 07, 2010 Marissa Morrison rated it it was amazing
This sequel to The Graduate takes place about a decade after Elaine hopped a bus with Benjamin on her wedding day. In an attempt to save their homeschooling way of life from interference by the local school board, the now-married couple ask Mrs. Robinson for help. This book is very funny and--since it's composed mainly of dialogue--a cinch to read.
Dec 04, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: mom-library
Sort of non-plussed that I'm reading this at all. It's likely to trot out a lot of stereotypes that will irritate me. I'm only intrigued enough to read it in the first place because it's the sequel to The Graduate. "Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?" No, just don't piss me off any more than you can help.
Miss Prufrock
Jun 17, 2009 Miss Prufrock rated it liked it
this was an odd little short book, that i probably would have enjoyed more if i hadn't had such high expectations. i read the graduate many years ago but something didn't quite seem right about the characters or the plot. i enjoyed it for what it was, but am still a little disappointed that it was published.
Robin
Jul 05, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
Couldn't go to sleep - it was on the table - read it in 2 hrs. It brought me back to Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, etc...it's a sequel (15 yrs. later) to The Graduate. Several intertwining stories - home schooling, Mrs. Robinson's craziness, and some even crazier Vermonters.
Christine
Jun 19, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Continuation of the story of 'The Graduate', eleven years later. Benjamin and Elaine are home schooling their two boys Jason and Matt, but need to call on 'Nan' (Mrs Robinson) to help them out with a problem.
Lauren
Jun 22, 2008 Lauren rated it it was ok
There was no need for a sequel to The Graduate. Webb's attempt was pretty aimless and boring for the most part until his end which basically just is a poor remake of the first book.
Al
May 28, 2011 Al rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY!
The biggest load of hogwash I've read in ages.
Stupidly I continued reading to the end believing that anything that bad had to improve - well it didn't. in fact it got worse...............
Annalise
Mar 08, 2012 Annalise rated it it was amazing
Read this if you loved the film of The Graduate. Read it if you have home-schooled (and have a sense of humour about it). It's short, snappy,and a great laugh.
  • I'd Rather Teach Peace
  • The Stone That Never Came Down
  • A Hidden Life
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • Doctor Hudson's Secret Journal
  • It's What He Would've Wanted
  • Nul Points
  • The Real Mrs. Brown: The Authorised Biography of Brendan O'Carroll
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • My Lady Nicotine, A Study in Smoke
  • Mrs Brown's Family Handbook
  • The Extra Large Medium
  • Selected Short Stories (Modern Classics)
  • Hannah and Her Sisters
  • The Tunnel Behind the Waterfall (The Magician's House Quartet, #3)
  • Jaws The Revenge
  • World Of Chickens
  • Terraplane
Charles Webb (born in San Francisco, California) is the author of several novels, mainly known for his most famous work, The Graduate. The novel was eventually made into an enormously successful film.
More about Charles Webb...