Start by marking “Faith (Brides of the West #1)” as Want to Read:
Faith  (Brides of the West #1)

Faith (Brides of the West #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  3,289 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Wanted: Women with religious upbringing, high morals, and a strong sense of adventure, willing to marry decent, God-fearing men. Applicants may apply by mail. Must allow at least two months for an answer.

With the matrimonial prospects in her little Michigan town virtually nonexistent, nineteen-year-old Faith, along with her two sisters, Hope and June, answers an ad for mai
Published October 1st 1998 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith

This book is not very historically accurate, but I still enjoyed it for the most part. The main character, Faith, is far too tomboyish for her time. She sometimes wears overalls in public and no one thinks anything of it. Trust me, women did not wear overalls in the 1800s. I don't know why some historical fiction writers have such a hard time with this fact.
❆ Crystal ❆
Apr 04, 2013 ❆ Crystal ❆ rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-early-america
Great story and a nice book to start a wonderful series. I gave 4 stars.
Bonnigene Cloud
May 05, 2012 Bonnigene Cloud rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this good Christian romance.

In this book Faith travels to Texas as a mail order bride. She and her sisters all decided this was the choice God had wanted them to make after the unexpected passing of their father. Faith's choice is immediately questioned when she meets her grooms mother, who doesn't seem to want or like Faith's presence in her new life.

Faith struggles with creating her relationships with her soon to be mother in law and husband as several attempts to get
Oct 26, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
I picked up this book (and the others in the series when Borders was closing doors... read the first 2, already, started the third one, and feeling antsy to read the other three!
they are set back in the the 1800's and they are all about unfortunate women (girls) who feel they need to answer a mail order bride ad to have a life... then we follow the story of what happens after, leading up the the arranged marriage... there is scary moments, and really funny moments... very worth the read!
Dec 09, 2014 Eleanor rated it it was ok
I couldn't even finish this book, it was so boring. The characters were okay, though could have been developed a little more strongly.

The story just went on and on and on... Which is funny, because there was hardly any dialog. It was in Faith's head. Faith had to tell her life story to every person she met, leaving the readers to suffer through it yet again. Hair pins went flying in every chapter. Cute at first, but got old very quick. Cut all that out and I could have gotten through the first
Debbie West
Sep 13, 2016 Debbie West rated it liked it
This was a fairly good start in the Brides of the West series. Not liked by Nicholas' s mother, & not having any alone time to get acquainted even briefly with Nicholas, Faith struggles in her new home. Personally, I thought she was way too cheery throughout the book. Her attitude wasn't even realistic. By the time I reached the end, I felt a little better. I believe the bad circumstances that occurred were a little bit overwhelming. I almost quit reading it in frustration, because nothing G ...more
Mar 16, 2014 Denae rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
A Fiction Christian Romance Novel
This book takes place in the middle to late 1800’s, mainly in Texas. This book was well written in the sense that things often happen in people’s lives where they have to take it upon themselves to change their perspective of the circumstances to keep going strong, or to change the circumstances so they can continue forward in good faith.

Lori Copeland, the author, can connect to her readers because everyone gets thrown into something new in their lives and she sh
Jenni C
Nov 14, 2014 Jenni C rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean-romance
I had my doubts at first but the author grabbed my attention with her own amusing and refreshing twists to the plot. I was intrigued by the way the story flowed and had to know what happened at the end as fast as I could. I did not pay attention to historical details ...only looked for a solid energetic story. great story. cute characters. clean and funny romance. my only con is to mention a bit of repetitive dialog...especially towards the end and I would have liked Mr. Shepard to be a bit more ...more
Dec 20, 2011 kathleen rated it it was ok
Not worth the time. Characters not believable.
deeann linford
Sep 14, 2014 deeann linford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance with a historical western flavor

Good, with a look at what mailorder brides may have had to experience. Dealing with strange families and husbands-to-be was only for the brave or the desperate. Faith is a busy girl with dramatic situations galore to deal with. This book keeps you turning the pages just to see what crazy thing will happen next. Well written. Nick has to let go of pride and learn what real love is. Then throw a mother-in-law to be in the mix and anything can happen.
I've read this book before, years ago but wanted to read the series again since I remembered it being a favorite of mine. I will say first, that Faith's story had not been one of my favorites in the series the first time around and still isn't. However, I did enjoy the story.

I found I liked Faith's character. A tom-boy at heart, she was willing to roll up her sleeves and help with any kind of work. Yet she was still feminine in ways and had certain girly points that made her less base. I loved h
May 28, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone; historical romance lovers; mail order brides
America in the 1800's. Mail order brides.

Faith is one of three girls orphaned after their father died. Their aunt cannot take care of them, and since they are nearly 18, they have all agreed to become mail-order brides.

Nicholas in Deliverance Texas is the man Faith has chosen to marry. He lives with his mother, Liza.

Liza has lost her husband unexpectedly 2 years ago. She is in her 50's and having problems with her temperament and temperature. The household Faith has come to join is a very unhap
Dec 03, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone who likes overly cheery and slightly unbelievable Christian romance
Shelves: 2012
Faith, oldest of three sisters, decides to become a mail-order bride because her elderly aunt can no longer afford to take her in. Thinking she has found a good match in Nicholas, she travels west only to be disappointed more and more each day. Nicholas turns out to be indifferent and his mother a shrew.

I really was torn about my feelings for Faith. On the one hand, she put up with WAY more than I ever would have from that pair. On the other, she was a good person who deserved better than the tr
Tamara Tilley
In the BRIDES OF THE WEST SERIES we learn that sisters Faith, Hope, & June have decided to become mail order brides. Faith is off to Texas to wed Nicholas Shepherd. When she gets there, she is met by a man of little words, and a mother-in-law that has nothing positive to say about Faith. When their wedding date is postponed on four different occasions, Faith begins to wonder if God brought her to Deliverance, Texas for reasons other than marriage. She soon gets attached to the children of a ...more
Marsha Flannery
Nov 17, 2013 Marsha Flannery rated it it was ok
The inspirational stories in this 3 book edition was just ok for me.
I've read other inspirational stories that gave me more satisfaction by the time I read "The End".

Here is a brief summary of the main problems I had with each story.

Book 1: Faith had a bit too much telling- I wasn't into the characters emotionally as I felt I could have been. The storyline wasn't too bad, so I did keep reading. Overall, the story could have been better if I could have cared about the characters.

Book 2: June wa
Jun 24, 2016 Cricket rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Faith and her 2 sisters decide to become mail order brides. She has an innocent faith in God as she heads to Texas. The unorthodox mode of arrival should have been a clue to her hardship in getting married. She puts up with Nicholas, her intended, and his mother Liza far too long to my liking and todays standard. Copeland has written a Christian novel without making you feel preached to throughout the book. Faith hangs tough and ends up being a good, fast, easy read
Dec 29, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012 Annalisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a free e-book on my Nook and have not been able to stop reading the series. They are pleasant Christian historical western romances involving mail order brides.

Amazon Book Description:
Best-selling author Lori Copeland kicks off this historical Western series with this pleasing tale of mail-order brides set in 1872. When their pastor father dies suddenly, leaving little money, three sisters realize that they need to take drastic action to survive. Each answers a newspaper ad solicit
Jul 23, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
A story about a young girl who responds to an advertisement to become a mail order bride. The story takes place in the late 1800's. Faith travels from Michigan to Texas to meet her new husband, Nick, but the wedding is canceled numerous times due to unforeseeable emergencies. A good Christian love story. I really enjoyed reading it.
Feb 28, 2014 Pam rated it liked it
Towards the end the characters were really inconsistent with what the author had made them to be. Sometimes I think authors want to hurry up and end their books and I felt that the ending of this book was especially hurried. Overall, though, I liked the story.
Mar 27, 2014 Lynda rated it it was amazing
First in the Mail-Order bride series, Brides of the West. Each book in the series can be read out of order but better read if done in order as each book references the people who came before.

Out of three books read in the series, this is my favorite.
I loved Faith. I can't wait to read June's and Hope.. I was so happy that Dan ordered him a "Mail order bride" I kinda wish he had is own story to see how lil Adam grows..

This first book that I have read by Lori Copeland and I WILL be reading more!!! :)
Dorry Lou
Jan 27, 2014 Dorry Lou rated it liked it
This was an o.k. book. It was about a mail order bride that couldn't seem to actually have the wedding performed. She finally decided she would have to go back to Michigan where she came from. Both she and her husband to be, had too much pride and were very stubborn. The fact that he lived with his mother did not help the situation any.
May 26, 2014 Yarelis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet love story

the story of Nicholas and Faith is a truly heartwarming story. it's honesty will tug at the heartstrings. A strong headed woman and a prideful man will hopefully find love.
Oct 08, 2016 Valene rated it it was amazing
such a life-lifting story. I fell in love with the characters esp with Nicholas Shepherd It is really hard to stop a read along the pages because the story gets exciting every next page. ...more
Sheila Gillespie
May 06, 2014 Sheila Gillespie rated it did not like it
This may be the worst book I have ever read. The writing style is so unsophisticated I wouldn't be surprised to find that a fourth grader wrote it. Absolute rubbish. I wish I could give it 1/2 star!
Angie Taylor
Jul 07, 2008 Angie Taylor rated it really liked it
"Wanted: Women with religious upbringing, high morals, and a strong sense of adventure, willing to marry decent, God-fearing men. Apllicants may apply by mail. Must allow at least two months for an answer." This is the premise for the story of the Brides of the West series. Faith is the first in the series and she is one of sisters who decides to answer the mail-order bride ad. She and her sisters decide that to become mail-order brides is the answer to their problems of living with an aging aun ...more
May 07, 2016 Patricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: tainfm2016
After reading one of the goodreads reviews, I am having second thoughts and I haven't even cracked the cover, yet.
[Later] OK, I guess I was warned (see above).

An acquaintance recommended this book to me. I did not really look into it much before checking it out. I should have. I scan-read almost the whole book and I mean as fast as possible. I did finish the book so that qualifies for an automatic 2-star rating.

This story just lacked credibility with me--it was so "out there." I had trouble be
Pat Winder
Jul 25, 2016 Pat Winder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Story

Perfect example of human problems and Gods love. Makes a person feel empowered to see life with a new vision.

Jun 04, 2014 patricia rated it liked it
Lori Copeland wrote a religious love story in Faith. It was not a new theme or way it developed. The characters are all Godly people. It was an okay read. Nothing special.
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1)
  • Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1)
  • A Veiled Reflection (Westward Chronicles, #3)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas, #2)
  • Before the Season Ends
  • The Vigilante's Bride
  • No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1)
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Love Finds You in Wildrose, North Dakota
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • A Time to Heal (Quilts of Lancaster County, #2)
  • A Dream Unfolding (Prescott Pioneers, #1)
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1)
Lori Copeland was born on 12 June 1941. She had a relatively late start in writing, breaking into publishing in 1982 when she was already forty years old. Over the next dozen years, her romance novels achieved much success, as was evidenced by her winning the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award, The Holt Medallion, and Walden Books' Best Seller award. She has been inducted into the Missouri Wri ...more
More about Lori Copeland...

Brides of the West (6 books)
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
  • Ruth (Brides of the West #5)
  • Patience  (Brides of the West, #6)