Faith  (Brides of the West #1)

Faith (Brides of the West #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,484 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Wanted: Women with religious upbringing, high morals, and a strong sense of adventure, willing to marry decent, God-fearing men. Applicants may apply by mail. Must allow at least two months for an answer.

With the matrimonial prospects in her little Michigan town virtually nonexistent, nineteen-year-old Faith, along with her two sisters, Hope and June, answers an ad for mai...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith

Kathleen
This book is not very historically accurate, but I still enjoyed it for the most part. The main character, Faith, is far too tomboyish for her time. She sometimes wears overalls in public and no one thinks anything of it. Trust me, women did not wear overalls in the 1800s. I don't know why some historical fiction writers have such a hard time with this fact.
Bonnigene Cloud
I really enjoyed reading this good Christian romance.

In this book Faith travels to Texas as a mail order bride. She and her sisters all decided this was the choice God had wanted them to make after the unexpected passing of their father. Faith's choice is immediately questioned when she meets her grooms mother, who doesn't seem to want or like Faith's presence in her new life.

Faith struggles with creating her relationships with her soon to be mother in law and husband as several attempts to get...more
Heather
Oct 26, 2011 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
I picked up this book (and the others in the series when Borders was closing doors... read the first 2, already, started the third one, and feeling antsy to read the other three!
they are set back in the the 1800's and they are all about unfortunate women (girls) who feel they need to answer a mail order bride ad to have a life... then we follow the story of what happens after, leading up the the arranged marriage... there is scary moments, and really funny moments... very worth the read!
Denae
Mar 16, 2014 Denae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
A Fiction Christian Romance Novel
This book takes place in the middle to late 1800’s, mainly in Texas. This book was well written in the sense that things often happen in people’s lives where they have to take it upon themselves to change their perspective of the circumstances to keep going strong, or to change the circumstances so they can continue forward in good faith.

Lori Copeland, the author, can connect to her readers because everyone gets thrown into something new in their lives and she sh...more
Patricia
After reading one of the goodreads reviews, I am having second thoughts and I haven't even cracked the cover, yet.
[Later] OK, I guess I was warned (see above).

An acquaintance recommended this book to me. I did not really look into it much before checking it out. I should have. I scan-read almost the whole book and I mean as fast as possible. I did finish the book so that qualifies for an automatic 2-star rating.

This story just lacked credibility with me--it was so "out there." I had trouble be...more
kathleen
Not worth the time. Characters not believable.
deeann linford
Romance with a historical western flavor

Good, with a look at what mailorder brides may have had to experience. Dealing with strange families and husbands-to-be was only for the brave or the desperate. Faith is a busy girl with dramatic situations galore to deal with. This book keeps you turning the pages just to see what crazy thing will happen next. Well written. Nick has to let go of pride and learn what real love is. Then throw a mother-in-law to be in the mix and anything can happen.
Jessica
I've read this book before, years ago but wanted to read the series again since I remembered it being a favorite of mine. I will say first, that Faith's story had not been one of my favorites in the series the first time around and still isn't. However, I did enjoy the story.

I found I liked Faith's character. A tom-boy at heart, she was willing to roll up her sleeves and help with any kind of work. Yet she was still feminine in ways and had certain girly points that made her less base. I loved h...more
Gloria
May 28, 2014 Gloria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone; historical romance lovers; mail order brides
America in the 1800's. Mail order brides.

Faith is one of three girls orphaned after their father died. Their aunt cannot take care of them, and since they are nearly 18, they have all agreed to become mail-order brides.

Nicholas in Deliverance Texas is the man Faith has chosen to marry. He lives with his mother, Liza.

Liza has lost her husband unexpectedly 2 years ago. She is in her 50's and having problems with her temperament and temperature. The household Faith has come to join is a very unhap...more
SheLove2Read
Dec 03, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone who likes overly cheery and slightly unbelievable Christian romance
Shelves: 2012
Faith, oldest of three sisters, decides to become a mail-order bride because her elderly aunt can no longer afford to take her in. Thinking she has found a good match in Nicholas, she travels west only to be disappointed more and more each day. Nicholas turns out to be indifferent and his mother a shrew.

I really was torn about my feelings for Faith. On the one hand, she put up with WAY more than I ever would have from that pair. On the other, she was a good person who deserved better than the tr...more
Tamara
In the BRIDES OF THE WEST SERIES we learn that sisters Faith, Hope, & June have decided to become mail order brides. Faith is off to Texas to wed Nicholas Shepherd. When she gets there, she is met by a man of little words, and a mother-in-law that has nothing positive to say about Faith. When their wedding date is postponed on four different occasions, Faith begins to wonder if God brought her to Deliverance, Texas for reasons other than marriage. She soon gets attached to the children of a...more
Marsha Flannery
The inspirational stories in this 3 book edition was just ok for me.
I've read other inspirational stories that gave me more satisfaction by the time I read "The End".

Here is a brief summary of the main problems I had with each story.

Book 1: Faith had a bit too much telling- I wasn't into the characters emotionally as I felt I could have been. The storyline wasn't too bad, so I did keep reading. Overall, the story could have been better if I could have cared about the characters.

Book 2: June wa...more
Kathryn
Annalisa
I got this as a free e-book on my Nook and have not been able to stop reading the series. They are pleasant Christian historical western romances involving mail order brides.

Amazon Book Description:
Best-selling author Lori Copeland kicks off this historical Western series with this pleasing tale of mail-order brides set in 1872. When their pastor father dies suddenly, leaving little money, three sisters realize that they need to take drastic action to survive. Each answers a newspaper ad solicit...more
Kim
A story about a young girl who responds to an advertisement to become a mail order bride. The story takes place in the late 1800's. Faith travels from Michigan to Texas to meet her new husband, Nick, but the wedding is canceled numerous times due to unforeseeable emergencies. A good Christian love story. I really enjoyed reading it.
Pam
Towards the end the characters were really inconsistent with what the author had made them to be. Sometimes I think authors want to hurry up and end their books and I felt that the ending of this book was especially hurried. Overall, though, I liked the story.
Lynda
First in the Mail-Order bride series, Brides of the West. Each book in the series can be read out of order but better read if done in order as each book references the people who came before.

Out of three books read in the series, this is my favorite.
Christy
I loved Faith. I can't wait to read June's and Hope.. I was so happy that Dan ordered him a "Mail order bride" I kinda wish he had is own story to see how lil Adam grows..

This first book that I have read by Lori Copeland and I WILL be reading more!!! :)
Dorry Lou
This was an o.k. book. It was about a mail order bride that couldn't seem to actually have the wedding performed. She finally decided she would have to go back to Michigan where she came from. Both she and her husband to be, had too much pride and were very stubborn. The fact that he lived with his mother did not help the situation any.
Yarelis Escobar
Sweet love story

the story of Nicholas and Faith is a truly heartwarming story. it's honesty will tug at the heartstrings. A strong headed woman and a prideful man will hopefully find love.
Sheila Gillespie
This may be the worst book I have ever read. The writing style is so unsophisticated I wouldn't be surprised to find that a fourth grader wrote it. Absolute rubbish. I wish I could give it 1/2 star!
Angie Taylor
"Wanted: Women with religious upbringing, high morals, and a strong sense of adventure, willing to marry decent, God-fearing men. Apllicants may apply by mail. Must allow at least two months for an answer." This is the premise for the story of the Brides of the West series. Faith is the first in the series and she is one of sisters who decides to answer the mail-order bride ad. She and her sisters decide that to become mail-order brides is the answer to their problems of living with an aging aun...more
Cupoftea
Lori Copeland wrote a religious love story in Faith. It was not a new theme or way it developed. The characters are all Godly people. It was an okay read. Nothing special.
Ratforce
For another inspirational author who writes historical/romance fiction try the Brides of the West Series by Lori Copeland. The first book in the series is called Faith . Her novels are very similar to those written by Tamera Alexander.

The Brides of the West series by Lori Copeland, beginning with the novel Faith, is another wholesome story involving women in the frontier life and is a quick and enjoyable read.

If you prefer Debbie Macomber’s more romantic stories with Western settings, you may wa...more
Mwizzy
Didn't like it. Yeah its a kama christian romance book. Set in 19th or 20th century. But I felt like it was too unrealistic.

Faith and nicholas to me just didn't seem to click. Its like the author spent three quarters of the book keeping them apart and distant, so u wonder when they "fell in love". Because they didn't have enough time together to justify their feelings as "love"

I think nick was just feeling "fond of her and jealous of dan". Faith on the other hand was feeling "lonely and out of o...more
Debbie
Really enjoyed this lighthearted historical romance. Looking forward to reading the other two in the series.
Cody
Aug 18, 2014 Cody rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
easy, predictable read, but still heart warming and slightly entertaining. good characters.
Elizabeth Carter
I enjoyed reading this novel. I'm usually partial to Christian historical romance with suspense and mystery, but I also like reading the predictable type romances too. I know it's a good book when I start talking back to it. Haha. Lori Copeland manages to write a novel that had me huffing and puffing at the hero's pride and giggling at the heroine's ridiculous young nature. The heroine's mother-in-law to be also adds a lot of thick contrast to the unfolding conflicts Faith encounters. Would reco...more
Patricia Hullet
I enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series. Lori Copeland is an accomplished author and she always leaves me wanting more!
Laura Bowman
Fun light reading with a message. May have to read the subsequent books.
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1)
  • Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas, #2)
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)
  • No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1)
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Before the Season Ends
  • Leather and Lace (Texas Legacy #1)
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek
  • Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1)
  • Daughter of Joy (Brides of Culdee Creek #1)
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Wildrose, North Dakota
Lori lives in the beautiful Ozarks with her husband Lance. Lance and Lori have three sons, three daughter-in-laws, and six wonderful grandchildren, and two great-granddaughters.

Lance and Lori are very involved in their church, and active in supporting mission work in Mali, West Africa.

Lori began her writing career in 1982, writing for the secular book market. In 1995, after many years of writing,...more
More about Lori Copeland...
Hope (Brides of the West, #3) Glory (Brides of the West, #4) June (Brides of the West, #2) Ruth (Brides of the West #5) Patience  (Brides of the West, #6)