Start by marking “Don't Go To Work On Mondays: Don't Punch A Shark In The Nose, Never Shower In A Thunderstorm And Other Amazing Facts About You And Your Life: Don't Punch ... Other Amazing Facts About You And Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Covering various aspects of health and human nature, including DNA, sex, exercise, food, the environment, germs, medicine, stress, and general wellbeing, this book takes a look at the truth behind the myths.
Published September 1st 2007 by Michael O'Mara Books (first published May 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Go To Work On Mondays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Go To Work On Mondays

dejah_thoris
A cute compendium of columns about those nagging scientific questions you never really get a chance to ask. No hard science or long-winded explanations of research here. An excellent book to throw on your toilet tank for quick perusal while your mind isn't distracted by more pressing matters or for curious guests.

(view spoiler)
Maria (Ri)
My review for Armchair Interviews:
“Wait half and hour after eating before swimming.”
“Cover your head in the winter so you don’t catch a cold.”
“Cracking your knuckles will give you arthritis.”
We’ve all heard the old wives tales, but which ones are really true? Based on his New York Times column “Really?,” Anahad O’Connor sets out to tell us just that.

In an easy to read question and answer format, Never Shower in a Thunderstorm analyzes dozens of commonly held beliefs about health. Some are
Tyler
Anahad O'Connor is an investigative health columnist for the New York Times. Over time he has kept track of the strange questions that he is asked and put the answers here in this book. He investigates questions about human nature, germs, sex, sleep and other topics.

As many people know, I enjoy books like this that explore the truth of old wives tales and other random facts. This book had a lot of useful information and questions that I had wondered about myself. My favorite topic was probably t
Kevin
Mostly about health related topics, but indirectly, like the showering in a thunderstorm bit. Each topic is only a page or two. Doesn't list references often and even contradicts some of his own conclusions. For example, he has a chapter on if the hormones that cows are given are causing puberty to occur earlier. His conclusion is that the amount of hormones is completely insignificant to do anything to a human. A few chapters later is one on acne and how sugar and fatty foods don't lead to acne ...more
Melissa Guimont
I picked this up as an in-between book that could be read on-the-go. It's a fast read and a fascinating book that tells the truth about some of the common myths, legends, and thoughts regarding health. Questions such as: 1. Do right-handed people live longer then lefties? 2. Does eating carrots improve your eyesight? 3. Do cell phones cause brain cancer? 4. Should you play dead if you are attacked by a bear? 5. Is yawning contagious? And many, many questions that I never even thought to ask. I w ...more
Kelli
I loved reading this book because of the interesting facts it contains and the myths it debunks. I have to admit, with only two chapters left, I was infoed out and had to read something else until my curiosity for facts picked up again. The author answered questions I had always wondered about, like is it better to eat before you exercise? (yes, if you're going to exercise for more than 30-45 minutes; otherwise, it's not necessary.) Does chicken soup really help cure a cold? (Yes! Many studies h ...more
Elizabeth Gosse
I liked this books because I could read a few pages, learn something new, put it down, then pick it up again later without missing anything.

Some of the facts are funny and some are shocking.

You do not get sick because of the cold ... but when your body temperature drops you are more susceptible to the viruses around you.

Happy reading everyone!
Anand Gopal
Culled from a New York Times column on health matters, this book has everything that is wrong about most modern "scientific" studies that the media trumpets. You know the type, they usually start with: "Studies have linked X with Y, researchers at Z university say." The trouble is, neither the author nor many of these researches in question seem to have grasped the basic idea that correlation does not mean causation. And so we have tons of silly studies that purport to show that some food or vit ...more
Peacegal
After reading this, I decided to get a copy for my mom, who throughout my youth was a wellspring of health fears, from shower electrocutions to Alzheimer’s-causing aluminum foil.

In the age of TV newsmagazines and e-mail forwards, the paranoia has only gotten worse, with deadly toxins and hazards seemingly lurking around every corner. This collection of common beliefs regarding health and safety will put to rest some of your fears (and may stoke the flame of some others).

Of particular interest
Donald Carr
I laughed at many points, and though the author offered an occasional glimmer of wit. Far too much of the book was bland and uninspired though, and was more of an empirical dissertation on commonly misheld beliefs. I would really not mind this kind of prose, but the author used a lot of words for his lackadaisical prose.

Some interesting tidbits, a pleasant habit of indicating contrasting research, but this person apparently writes columns, and the column style when stretched to a book is stretch
Jessica
The book is light reading - a collection of pieces from the author's column called "Really?" in the New York Times. These short pieces look at more than 100 common health-related beliefs. Some of the beliefs are old wives tales, some are internet hoaxes, some are bad science but some of these beliefs are true. Mr. O'Connor sifts through the scientific literature and interviews experts in the respective fields to answer questions like "Do tall people live longer than short people?" and "Do hair d ...more
Henry Yan
Anahad O' Connor's "Never Shower in a Thunderstorm" is filled with myths and the hidden truths about them; ranging from topics relating to a person's health (sex, genes, etc.), and topics about the environment (toxic planet, germs, etc). Personally, i find these types of books interesting because it reveals a lot about life and is able to inform people about the truth value of common myths, such as "can drinking coffee stunt a child's growth." Overall, a fun book to read.
Andrea
A quick, amusing read. The author does a great job at entertainingly summing up the research on a given topic (though, of course, this means that none of the topics are talked about in much depth). Makes you realize both how complex issues like "health" and "sleep" are, and also makes you wonder how people figured anything out before scientific studies were "invented".
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2011 Elizabeth marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Anahad O'Connor writes the "Really?" column for the science section of the New York Times . ...more
Terri
Fairly interesting read...actually sorted some of the urban legends for me and made me re-think my bubble baths during a thunderstorm...maybe they're not such a great idea! More enlightening than I thought it was going to be.
Frost
I loved learning the actual research and truth behind all of those old wives' tales and urban legends about our health and such - easy to read chapter by chapter but I kept wanting to know the answers so I read quickly!
Shana
Next time you’re looking for some health info to impress your friends/family/coworkers/etc., try picking up this book and flipping through. It’s a quick and humorous read that’s sure to teach you a thing or two.
lindn
Nov 04, 2007 lindn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into trivia
Shelves: leisurely
Interesting info -- like chicken soup is actually good for the cold -- with scientific reasoning behind them. And a cup of coffee actually have more caffeine then tea. Now I'm a wiser person after reading the book
Emma  Kaufmann
Most of these fascinating scientific facts are not new but this is a good one: did you know that drinking excessive amounts of alcohol would prevent you getting salmonella at a rancid buffet.
Adele
the concept of the book was great
and the answers were very interesting
but after a while, i felt like telling the author "geez just get to the point and tell me the answer"
Ray
A book that for me confirmed many of the oddball trivia that I have aquired and I learned a few things. A bit of a dry read but it is interesting material.
Megan C
I still think cell phones will eventually be proven to cause brain tumors... or at least be revealed as the surveillance method of choice for the government.
Katey
Not much new info for me to get my trivia fix, and questionable bits of journalistic information that contradict other things I've read.
A really fun and informative read ! By the way you shouldnt shower in a thunderstorm , your mother was right who knew !!!
John R.
Funny and entertaining. Nothing deep or life changing. Unless you didn't know yawning is, in fact, contagious.
Ashly Galownia
very interesting facts about everyday myths and beliefs. Helps you to understand common misconceptions.
John
It was good for a trivia book and written better than others that I've looked through.
Lesley
again i love random informational books. but this one wasn't anything that new.
Kristi
Fascinating look at various minor urban legends and folk remedies and wisdom.
Mohd Afiq Ahmad
Is chocolate an aphrodisiac? Read this book to find the answer.
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • Mental Floss: Scatterbrained
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • The Bedside Baccalaureate: A Handy Daily Cerebral Primer to Fill in the Gaps, Refresh Your Knowledge & Impress Yourself & Other Intellectuals
  • Hippo Eats Dwarf: A Field Guide to Hoaxes and Other B.S.
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is (Still) Wrong
  • Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend: For Every Guy Who Wants to Be One/For Every Girl Who Wants to Build One
  • Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody
  • The Intellectual Devotional Health: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Digest a Daily Dose of Wellness Wisdom
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Pop Goes the Weasel: The Secret Meanings Of Nursery Rhymes
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • Word Myths: Debunking Linguistic Urban Legends
The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them Always Follow the Elephants: More Surprising Facts and Misleading Myths about Our Health and the World We Live In Never Shower in a Thunder Storm: Surprising Facts 114 คำถามจากเส้นผมจรดปลายเท้า : เพลินกับคำตอบทางวิทยาศาสตร์ต่อคำถามคาใจสงสัยมานาน Never Shower in a Thunderstorm: Surprising Facts and Misleading Myths About Our Health and the World We Live In...

“Do right-handed people live longer than lefties?

Then again, there are some things about lefties that can't be explained so easily. For whatever reason, whether it's the pressures of living in a world designed for righties, or all the talk of having shorter life spans, lefties have higher rates of depression, drug abuse, allergies, and schizophrenia. But lefties also have an advantage in sports like fencing, tennis and baseball, not to mention greater academic success and higher IQs. Five of America's last eleven presidents were lefties, even though they make up only 10 percent of the American population." (I believe Obama is a leftie as well, making that 6 of the last 12 presidents).”
4 likes
“Are oysters aphrodisiacs?

For men, the smell of baked cinnamon buns had such a powerful impact on libido that it trumped the scents of a slew of various perfumes combined. Men were also strongly aroused by the scent of pumpkin pie, lavender, doughnuts, cheese pizza, buttered popcorn, vanilla and strawberries. The foods and smells that got women going more than anything else were licorice, banana nut bread, cucumbers, and candy.”
4 likes