Start by marking “The Case Of The Missing Brontë (Perry Trethowan, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Case Of The Missing Brontë (Perry Trethowan, #3)

The Case Of The Missing Brontë (Perry Trethowan #3)

Scotland Yard Superintendent Perry Trethowan is enjoying a vacation evening at a cozy Yorkshire pub when an old woman shows him an original, unpublished Bronte manuscript. Trethowan agrees to engage in a little literary detective work, but he doesn't realize that for a criminal the manuscript is motive for theft, torture--and murder.
Published November 1st 1994 by Penguin Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Of The Missing Brontë, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Of The Missing Brontë

Jul 29, 2016 Trina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just okay for me. The detective wasn't a particularly memorable character and the villains seemed out of a cartoon.
Jun 24, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it
Robert Barnard has been writing mystery fiction for 35 years or so and every now and then I pick one up, and wonder why I haven't read more of his books. They are well-written, usually have just the right amount of humor, and the characters are engaging. Most I've read have been stand-alones, but I realized recently that he's written two not-very-long series -- one featuring policeman Charlie Peace and the other Scotland Yard detective Perry Trethowan. The Case of the Missing Bronte is one of th ...more
Sep 19, 2016 Swapna rated it liked it
The premise of this book is interesting being a literary mystery. However, there is not much suspense either plot-wise or perpetrator-wise. The ending seems straight out of a film, with all the villains fighting for the prize and the police arriving at the precise moment.

What had me wondering was why would an Emily Bronte manuscript turn up in the Robinson family and be handed over to their descendants, since Emily was not connected with that family at all.
Lynn Demsky
Oct 10, 2016 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this mystery ---who-done-it – there were so many choices of who to go after and the ending was surprising and enjoyable because the Superintend and his wife are the first to get to really read and enjoy the missing manuscript!
K.G. McAbee
Aug 14, 2016 K.G. McAbee rated it really liked it
Since I read my first Perry Threthowan book, naturally I had to investigate the series. And being a Bronte freak myself, this sounded intriguing. It was. The hint of a new Bronte work sets off a string of attacks and murders in a small Yorkshire town. Hey, they had me at Yorkshire.
Lukasz Pruski
Jul 11, 2014 Lukasz Pruski rated it it was ok
Works by the Brontë sisters were mandatory reading in my high school in the 1960s yet I was never able to finish any of the books. I found the novels boring and I preferred reading various "counterculture" items and watching Monty Python's skit showing a semaphore version of "Wuthering Heights". Maybe that's why I do not particularly like Robert Barnard's "The Case of the Missing Brontë" (1983). It is a well written, and occasionally very funny mystery, but I find it the least interesting of the ...more
Jun 15, 2014 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this crime novel intrigued me so even though it was the third one in a series and I usually try and read series in their correct order I decided to give it a go. I enjoyed it and I shall probably go on and read the rest of the series. It is narrated by Superintendent Perry Trethowan in an easy, conversational style which makes the reader feel part of the story.

Perry and his wife, Jan, are on holiday in Yorkshire when their ancient car breaks down and leaves them stuck in a village o
Sep 26, 2009 Surreysmum rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 1987
[These notes were made in 1987:]. Read in the Dell, 1983 edition. A mystery in which two contending groups of baddies go after what turns out to be a genuine lost Emily Bronte manuscript. The detective, whom I find less sympathetic than the Roderick Alleyn model (Peregrine something), finds himself at one point at the mercy of two exceedingly ugly Scandinavian thugs, who start to torture him. These two are associated with a multimillionaire (who is not caught) and a sleazy minister of the "Churc ...more
This is not the edition I read, I'm pretty sure.

I found the premise for this book fascinating, and the follow-through extremely disappointing.

The question of what happened to Ellis Bell's 'second novel' and, for that matter, all of her own and Anne's prose fiction has always been an entertaining premise for speculation. But the most likely answers (they were destroyed by Charlotte or Arthur Bell Nichols; they were stolen by one of the unscrupulous collectors who began descending before the Rev
Sep 14, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, england
Superintendent Perry Trethowan was on the last days of his vacation when he and he wife meet an elderly woman who had inherited some papers from an old friend who lived in the Yorkshire area where the three Bronte sisters lived an wrote. Included in the papers is an old manuscript which is seeminglyy written by one of the Bronte sisters. She showed it to the Trethowans who suggested she take it to an expert.

When Trethowan reruns to work he hears that the old lady has been savagely beaten and the
Sep 06, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
"Scotland Yard Superintendent Perry Trethowan and his wife are enjoying a vacation evening at a cozy Yorkshire pub -- until an old woman from the outskirts of town strikes up a conversation that nearly gets her killed. Inside her blue leather handbag is either a clever forgery or an original unpublished Bronte manuscript. Spurred on by his wife's unabating curiosity, Trethowan finds himself engaged in a little literary detective work. But he had better tread lightly: A new Bronte would be an inv ...more
Feb 18, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: myst
Inspector Perry Trethowan book 3. Little old lady with family connection to the Brontes has manuscript she wants authenticated, it's stolen from her, she is beaten nearly to death, the men she took it to authenticate deny ever seeing it but Trethowan doesn't believe them. One of them is also beaten badly (can anyone ever be beaten well? we're not eggs), and two Very Large thugs come into it. Also little old lady's very nasty distant cousin, a weird preacher of his own sect, & his two sons, w ...more
Oct 22, 2009 Astraplain rated it liked it
A fast, enjoyable read with interesting characters all searching for what might be a previously unknown Bronte novel. The lead character is likable and, although there are some references to previous books featuring this character, it doesn't detract from this story.

Unlike many recent mysteries that cram too much into the last chapter, this has a decent resolution and doesn't give the sense that there should be another chapter.
Deb Saw
Apr 01, 2016 Deb Saw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few Robert Barnard books in the past and loved their quirky humour and clever plot lines.

This, however, I just put down 80 pages from the end. The humour is there to a degree but I just didn't care about the outcome. The book hops about all over the place with no apparent logic and I now refuse to read a book that feels like a chore.
Jun 08, 2016 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of a series of crime novels featuring police detective Perry Trethowan, who uses his literary knowledge to solve literary-themed crimes with help from his wife, Jan. I liked the Bronte storyline of this novel, and even enjoyed the early 1980s setting (book was originally published in 1983). Look forward to reading more in this series.
Apr 22, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
As a Bronte fan who has been lucky enough to go to Yorkshire, this was fun. I liked the characters, but I would consider this a "light" mystery.
Sharon4 rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Jim rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2009
Polly rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Reed rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Julie rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Jerry Ramsey
Jerry Ramsey rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Dale rated it it was ok
May 09, 2014
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Lois rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Spanishliz rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Grace rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2008
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2013
Mamacat rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Murder at the ABA
  • A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #3)
  • Rough Cider
  • A Place Of Safety (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #6)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)
  • Bless This House
  • Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #8)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Green for Danger