Start by marking “The Revolutionary John Adams” as Want to Read:
The Revolutionary John Adams

The Revolutionary John Adams

John Adams comes to vivid life for young readers in this addition to Harness's acclaimed presidential picture-biographies. Dynamic artwork and lively narrative create a warm, personable portrait of the stubborn man from Braintree, Massachusetts, whose passion for liberty spurred him on to extraordinary roles as a Founding Father, first Vice President, and second President ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Revolutionary John Adams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolutionary John Adams

MCPLD Youth Department
The author, Cheryl Harness, does an extraordinary job of telling about the life of our second president, John Adams. Actual quotes from the letters and diaries of John and Abigail Adams brings life to the patriot. Beautiful, detailed watercolors enhance the text. The book makes the reader realize the sacrifices made by our founding fathers.
Sara Hannon
1. Junior book, Autobiography

2. The Revolutionary John Adams is about politician, president, and patriot John Adams. It chronicles his life and his involvement in the birth of America.

3. This is a nice book about John Adams and how he impacted the beginning of America. It is an interesting books with lots of pictures but I feel like it would be much better read aloud. It is geared towards yougner children, but the size of the text and some of the words are too hard for younger children to read
Becca
This is a biography on the second president John Adams. It starts from when he was a boy, and quickly grows into his many accomplishments with the 12 colonies and the Declaration of Independence. The way this book is set up is fantastic for fourth or fifth graders learning about the 18th century. The passages take up about half of each page, accompanies by a large, very detailed picture. the sentences are simple to understand and very interesting/engaging at the same time. The pictures looked li ...more
Heather
A really fantastic book about John Adams, written for kids. Being for kids it did not go in-depth, but contained enough information to give us a good feel for who he was and what he did. My kids were very attentive every time I read this and because we've been studying American History for a while they were able to make lots of connections with other people and events. The illustrations were nice, but a little busy.

I learned quite a bit myself. For example, I always knew that Adams and Jefferson
Brittany
Very detailed illustrations and decorations along with a great story. After reading this I got the same author's books about other Founding Fathers. So far this is my favorite one, but we haven't read them all yet.
Jessica
Apr 17, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book was very attractively done with great illustrations, maps and paper cutting. It made him very human and real with the direct quotes. I with I had a class set!
Autumn
Jun 10, 2014 Autumn rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-class
Brittany Lee
Genre- Non Fiction
Awards-None
Grade Level-3-4

This book would be a wonderful way to read to the class an show the class how interesting non fiction books are while relating it to your history lesson. By allowing the students to see a different point of view rather than reading straight from a text book could possibly help some of the students learn by seeing the pictures and interacting with the book. While teaching it is very important to remember that every child learns differently. Always incor
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is definitely my favorite cover picture of all the ones Harness has drawn. I would love to own a print of this. The composition and colors are stunning! I met Harness shortly after she wrote The Amazing, Impossible Erie Canal?, which was the first of her history books. She found her niche with that genre, and has come a long way since then.
I'm particularly fond of books about John Adams because of the wonderful relationship he had with his wife Abigail, which Harness brings out nicely. I'm
Stephanie
Short but meaty kids' biography of John Adams, chock full of his very full life. Each page could be poured over for ten minutes because of the great pictures and quotes from Adams' letters at the bottom of the page. It included some of the best Adams stories, including my favorite---the night he had to share a bed with Ben Franklin.

Docked one star because I got tired of constantly reading full dates, which don't particularly mean much to kids and made the narrative flow kind of choppy.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Feb 19, 2011 Charlotte Osborn-bensaada rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic-picture
I let my daughter see selected portions of the HBO series John Adams and she has been fascinated by him ever since. We enjoyed this book. This book does a good job summarizing his life successes and role within the revolution and afterward. The illustrations are vibrant and informative. This book is part of a series on American History developed by National Geographic. I have loved them for how they have engaged my 4th grader in important historical places, events and people.
Lauren Ritcey
Oct 30, 2013 Lauren Ritcey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fab-40
Genre: Non-Fiction
Awards: None
Grade Level: 5-6
Comments: I would use this book in a social studies unit learning about presidents. I could read this aloud to the class and they would after that do a group project on one aspect of John Adams. They would share with the class and the class can record what they learned that way they can have all the information on this President. I like this book because it can be more enjoyable for the students than a textbook or a lecture.
Kathryn
Oct 30, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fab-40
Grade: 5-6
Genre: Nonfiction
Awards:
Use: I would use this in my classroom to work on sequencing with students. We will create timelines as we read the story of John Adams. We will label it with important accomplishments and events that happened throughout John Adams' life. Finally, the students will draw pictures depicting scenes of what they feel is the most important events in his life.
Lillian Cristina Loys
Genre: Non-Fiction

Awards: None

Grade Level:4-5

How to Use in Classroom: Great for a read-aloud during a social studies lesson. It tells the story of the American Revolution and Adams in a way that is entertaining and appropriate for young readers. It includes easily understood (though not always easily read) language and would be perfect to use to teach children about John Adams.
Lynn
Feb 23, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing
This book will definitely have a place in my classroom. It is a wonderfully written biography on John Adams, written for the late elementary/ middle school grades. The covers his young life right through to his death and is very good at depicting his life. His work as a revolutionary receives thorough coverage in the book.
Sharon Day
Feb 21, 2011 Sharon Day rated it really liked it
Well written, beautifully illustrated book. Highly recommend for anyone interested in the Revolutionary War or Founding Father John Adams. Even though it is highly illustrated, it may be difficult for young children or those will lower reading level. I can see using it as a read aloud for those students.
Deb
Mar 16, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing
Wonderful composition of illustration with text. Great narrative voice. It has a map and historical timeline of events during his presidency. While the majority of story is around revolution, book does contain information about rest of life.
Tracy E.
Nov 22, 2012 Tracy E. rated it really liked it
John Adams slips away in the history pages, with the focus mostly on Washington and Jefferson. This is a well-researched and illustrated book, great as an intro to Adams for adults and for kids learning U.S. history.
Shelli
Jan 28, 2009 Shelli rated it liked it
Informative picture book about one of my all time favorite presidents, John Adams. Again I enjoyed the illustrations more than the writing in this National Geographic Presidential Series for young readers.
Barbara Lovejoy
Jan 19, 2013 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading books about this time in history and the people who lived then. This a beautiful children's book. The illustrations are wonderful, and I loved the quotes throughout the book.
Tracy
Aug 15, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Cheryl Harness's books. Not only the text, but the illustrations are chock full of little facts. They are fun to read and informative.
Gwen
I highly recommend any of Harness's children's history books
Tracy
Nov 19, 2007 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all kids and adults who are interested in history
LOVE IT! Want to own it! Can't wait to see her others.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Melissa Mcavoy
Melissa Mcavoy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Minilos3
Minilos3 marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
T
T added it
Jun 27, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016