Cures for Love

Cures for Love

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Love can be incurable

Stendhal believed love comes in different forms, from passion and lust to vanity, the love of possessive desire. In this collection he muses on falling in love, how to cope with jealousy and whether infatuation can ever be overcome -- and provides a selection of maxims giving advice for lovers.
Great Loves #5, 120 pages
Published August 2nd 2007 (first published 1822)

To ask other readers questions about Cures for Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cures for Love

Frankie
I picked this up as a feeble substitution for reading De L'Amour in its entirety. I realize I may be missing some redeeming parts by not reading the whole, but I'm ultimately relieved at not having submerged myself. I hate to say it, but I regard Stendhal's subject here as a mythology. One word has been floating at the back of my brain while reading this, and I'll have out with it: it's all so insipid. Maybe Stendhal doesn't deserve it. He tries, after all, to define something ethereal. I'm a fa...more
Emilie
Not really coherent, a little like some angry guy writing random crap on post-its and publishing it, or its 19 century equivalent. Loved the jibes on the French though!
Tatuu
Oct 29, 2013 Tatuu marked it as to-read
Shelves: great-loves
Okay, I just discovered Penguin Great Loves...a series of 20 books. They look interesting.
Stephen Theaker
Only worth reading if you're trying to get a handle on his other work. Full of silly ideas, for example that a man can be constant to his true love despite sleeping with other people. If you find yourself trying to persuade someone that they should love you, give up, it's never going to happen, don't write a book explaining why their feelings are wrong and in fact they don't understand love at all. I realise this is part of a literary tradition of unrequited, hopeless devotion being seen as the...more
Seymour Glass
the usual old school misogynist nonsense. if i read the words 'a woman should...' one more time i'll eat my own hand.
Annabelle
It was very good. I like Lover's Discourse a bit more for this sorta thing... There are many, many gems and his writing can be very beautiful for some parts. Mostly though, Stendhal just bags on the French, and talks about men being passionate/from the brain vs. women who are emotional/from the heart- along with many other time-specific, dated reflections- which can be very cool from a historical, comparative standpoint.
Daisyjess
Interesting - some of Stendhal's observations really still ring true today, but I can't agree with his obsessive need to divorce morality from love: he makes the leap from saying that human beings look for pleasure and try to avoid pain, to saying that it is always entirely foolish to deny oneself pleasure for reasons of morality.
Michael
This book contained gems of poetic brilliance. At times, it felt like the author was referencing specific then-current events and persons without providing enough explanation. This made much of the narrative incomprehensible.
christopher leibow
Wonderful book with great insight. Some great quotables and funny but effective advice on how to deal with jealousy, or multiple suitors.
Tim Caines
Quite funny in parts and many true points made.
Mckinley
Interesting ways to look at love.
Johnny B. Rempit
Definitely NOT my cup of tea.
Catalina Terracotta
Catalina Terracotta marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
victoria carol
victoria carol marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Teodora
Teodora marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Keyla Pacheco
Keyla Pacheco marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
yossra khrdani
yossra khrdani marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Ruxandra Voinea
Ruxandra Voinea marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Godwin Ekebuike
Godwin Ekebuike marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Victoria Bakshina
Victoria Bakshina marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
  • Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
  • Forbidden Fruit: From The Letters of Abelard and Heloise (Penguin Great Loves, #2)
  • Something Childish But Very Natural
  • The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love (Penguin Great Loves, #3)
  • A Mere Interlude
  • Doomed Love (Penguin Great Loves, #1)
  • Magnetism
  • Alien Hearts
  • My Fantoms
  • No Tomorrow
  • On Art and Life
Henri-Marie Beyle , better known by his pen name Stendhal , was a 19th-century French writer. Known for his acute analysis of his characters' psychology, he is considered one of the earliest and foremost practitioners of realism in his two novels Le Rouge et le Noir (The Red and the Black, 1830) and La Chartreuse de Parme (The Charterhouse of Parma, 1839).
More about Stendhal...