Start by marking “Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People” as Want to Read:
Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People

Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People

Writing about the homeless and helping the homeless, has given my life a purpose that it didn’t have before. Documenting their stories will, I hope, introduce them to the public in a non-threatening way. Some panhandlers look intimidating, but that disappears when one sees them laugh.

A typical day for me involves taking the bus and walking two blocks to work. I pass Joy’s
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published June 10th 2014 by Lifetales Books Karenzo Media (first published June 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Gotta Find a Home, please sign up.

Dennis Cardiff What I enjoyed most was the interaction with my friends. Secondly I enjoyed writing about our conversations.

What I enjoyed the least was editing. Now…more

What I enjoyed the least was editing. Now that my book has been released I wish I had done more editing. ~ Dennis(less)

Joseph
Sep 01, 2014 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada, society
GOTTA FIND A HOME by Dennis Cardiff
Book Review by Joseph Spuckler

Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People by Dennis Cardiff is a unique look at the situation in Toronto. Cardiff is not from the expected background for this work. He is not a sociologist, but a poet and an artist and like many people has had his close call to losing everything.

What makes Gotta Find a Home different from all other books on homelessness is that is not a study on the how and why of homelessness. It is also
Dennis Cardiff
Apr 10, 2016 Dennis Cardiff rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books

Author: http://buff.ly/1PxIHSg
Blogger: http://ow.ly/AD3t4
Facebook: http://ow.ly/AD2sG

Release date for Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People, was June 5, 2015. All author proceeds from book sales are going directly to those forced onto the streets and to the Ottawa Innercity Ministries, Street Outreach Program. In 2014 the webpage, Gotta Find a Home, was the vehicle for donations amounting to $585.00 to this worthwhile cause.

Sales have been steady, but I'm not sure the book is gett
Nzfiend
Originally interested in street photography myself I stumbled over Dennis via our occasionally overlapping blog postings on Wordpress. He liked some of my stuff, so I read some of his. Instantly identifiable. Emphatically told stories of the real life city dwellers that capitalism creates and spits out.

Dennis is a good man. And the people whom allow him into their lives in such detail, honest and open manner are worthy of being presented to the world at large.

Can only suggest that PHOTOMAN777777
Ioana
I was very curious about this book, Gotta Find a Home. Conversations with Street People by Dennis Cardiff. The title and the description of the book were the things that caught my attention. However, for some reason, the beginning was pretty rocky. It made me wonder if maybe this is the sort of book that you read in slices, a bit now, a bit later, a bit tomorrow. It depicts, after all, pieces of people's lives; it's not fiction, but real life. But as I read, I was curious how those lives evolved ...more
Marta Tandori
Feb 04, 2015 Marta Tandori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raw, Gritty Vignettes That Tell Their Own Tales

Let’s face it – we’ve all done it at one time or another – seen someone panhandling and quickly crossed to the other side of the street or walked by them with our cell phone stuck to our ears, pretending to be deep in conversation so we wouldn’t have to engage with them in any way. The author, Dennis Cardiff, did exactly what most of us would never do – he engaged with the street people he came in contact with on his daily travels to and from work.
Karen Silvestri
May 14, 2014 Karen Silvestri rated it it was amazing
Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People will be available June 10th! I can't tell you what a joy it has been to work with author/blogger, Dennis Cardiff. The man has infinite patience and kindness. His collection of conversations with the homeless in his neighborhood reads like a novel, but is factual in content (names and locations have been changed).

Dennis stops by to visit with the people you will meet in this book almost every morning and every afternoon. They have, in his words
Sara Britt
Jun 18, 2014 Sara Britt rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, we avoid situations we do not understand, but more often than not, we shun circumstances we detest. In the homeless world , it's citizens are often objects of misinterpretation and loathing. They are in need of someone or something that will imbue the truth that homeless people have value because they are human beings, same as the entire world. Dennis Cardiff's conversations with the homeless in "Gotta Find a Home", breaks that barrier between the Haves and the Have Nots. After ...more
Abelardo
Apr 14, 2015 Abelardo rated it really liked it
I just finished this fine work by a very astute observer of “street life.” Mr. Cardiff’s interactions hit a few nerves for me, as well as rekindled memories of my own experiences with similar people in a different time and place.

I was immediately drawn into the writer’s humanity, and kindness as he delved into the dilemmas inherent in these never intended lifestyles. One could sense throughout the winding story his empathy with so many of these lives unable to lift themselves away from the const
Meglena Ivanova
Apr 25, 2015 Meglena Ivanova rated it it was amazing
Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People by Dennis Cardiff is all about street people you meet that make life the rich, vibrant experience that it is. They shape our memories more than the locations themselves. They can make a bad place good, or a great place bad. They teach us about what we like or don’t like in others. They shine lights on our ignorance and teach us about ourselves.

The book is written in such detail and it’s highly amusing. Feelings come and go. Sometimes there is
Cathy Ryan
Nov 26, 2014 Cathy Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a non fictional story of a group of homeless people in a Canadian city from the perspective of the man who befriended them. Documented in diary format Dennis Cardiff catalogues the conversations he has with the various panhandlers, which brings home the reality of people who are forced, for one reason or another, into a life on the streets. These accounts show just how people’s lives and personalities can be and are formed by past traumas in the form of abuse, addiction and mental and ...more
Promod Sharma
Mar 13, 2015 Promod Sharma rated it it was amazing
I always tend to rate a creation high if there is a purpose behind it.
Things can be meaningful for self, but to be purposeful they have to serve others, especially those who need to be served.

As for the style of writing, high level of commitment itself becomes a style of its own kind.

I am an author, not a professional critic. No one should expect me to find faults with trivial things. The book is not pretentious that is more than enough for me.

I give it a perfect 5-Star. I did not buy it. I borr
Tfaulkner
Jun 25, 2014 Tfaulkner rated it really liked it
A fascinating look inside a world many others don't want to see. From the time he first meets Joy and her colleagues, Dennis steps back and lets them speak in their own voices, with no judgement and minimal intrusion. Personalities come through and the drama, pathos and humour in their lives is evident. A very enjoyable read, with the minor quibble that descriptions of location can be a bit confusing (is it Toronto or Ottawa?) Looking forward to the next book!
Grady
Jan 01, 2015 Grady rated it it was amazing
`People are strangers only until you meet them. We are all the same, we seek happiness and an end to suffering.'

Canadian author Dennis Cardiff has a heart as big as all outdoors. He seems to be a pretty selfless guy as he doesn't provide much personal resume on which to base a beginning to read his book and he contributes a portion of the proceeds to supporting the homeless. From references within his writing it seems he lives in Toronto and spends his walk to work each day talking to the street
Bob Rich
Oct 13, 2014 Bob Rich rated it really liked it
Sometimes bleak, sometimes even terrifying, the stories told by street people reveal two sides of human nature: the savagery of “civilization” that puts some into hardship, danger and humiliation -- and the decency, compassion and caring that is equally a part of who we can choose to be.

Dennis has been spending his lunch breaks from work talking to the strays of the city, because he gets a more interesting conversation. He had experienced bankruptcy and losing his home in the past, so he can ide
Stephanie
Jul 05, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I discovered Gotta Find A Home on twitter where its author posts as @denniscardiff. I will admit that I am one of those who generally averts their eyes when I notice beggars on the street so, other than the usual political platitudes, I know very little about the people themselves. Intrigued by Dennis' synopsis, I bought his book. All the profits from Gotta Find A Home are donated to homelessness alleviation projects in Toronto so I thought, even if I didn't like the read, I was doing a good ...more
Sheila
Dennis Cardiff’s Gotta Find a Home doesn’t just put a human face on street people; it invites non-street people like me to wear a human face too. Short chapters grouped into months offer a diary of life walking the streets, as the author travels to and from work, helps in a food kitchen, and takes time to chat. Sometimes a gentle poem will lighten the mood—“I want to see your smile each day/A memory – it just won’t do.” Sometimes he offers the background story of one of the people he’s met. And ...more
Elizabeth Lloyd
Sep 18, 2014 Elizabeth Lloyd rated it liked it
From whatever country we come, we are used to seeing homeless people in our cities begging. It is easy to be judgemental, frightened or indifferent but we often forget that they are human beings. Dennis Cardiff is not like that. He makes daily visits to a group of homeless people in his Canadian city to talk to them and maybe buy them a snack. For several years he has kept a journal of these encounters on his blog “Gotta Find Home” and this book is an edited version of this.

I was hoping for a co
Veritas Vincit
Jan 01, 2015 Veritas Vincit rated it it was amazing
I have been very fortunate in my life to have traveled extensively throughout the world, and have also lived in Chicago, a city known for its homeless population and rampant issues of people living below the poverty line. I have seen thousands of street people in my life, but it wasn't until I was considerably older that I began to genuinely consider what their lives might have been like. It is so easy to dismiss homeless people, as though they blend into the background of a city, like breathing ...more
Leire
Feb 03, 2015 Leire rated it it was amazing
Reading this book has made me think a lot about homeless people, pan handlers and anyone that seems an outsider in developed countries. I’ve always found it difficult to know how to interact with someone in the street that asks for money or help. As a young woman I find some of them scary or aggressive and with those that seem really in pain, ill or in great need, I don’t really know how to treat them because I’m afraid of sounding condescending or pitying them. Where I live, there are not many ...more
Cortana
Aug 15, 2014 Cortana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Our big bad world is not so bad after all. There are countless people out in the streets doing their bits to ameliorate the condition of others. Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People by Dennis Cardiff is the story of one such Samaritan whose acts of kindness has altered not only the lives of others that he came in contact with, but his own life. In showing kindness to other, he experienced a life-changing transformation as much as it transformed the lives of others.

Gotta Find a Hom
Brigitte
Apr 15, 2015 Brigitte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-15
Conversations with street people gives a very good insight in the lives of homeless people and how Dennis Cardiff, the author came about writing this book.

It's based on conversations, Mr Cardiff had with the homeless over a period of time in the form of a diary. He started off by buying coffee for one of the ladies and was introduced to her family, not an easy thing to do as trust was one of the deciding factors to be accepted amongst the group. Mr Cardiff started meeting them on his way to wor
Marie Abanga
Jul 10, 2014 Marie Abanga rated it really liked it
The only reason l am not giving this book a five is because l am waiting for the chronology the author acknowledge he will be doing in his interview. Other than that, l must say that the book touched my soul and reinforced my view that there are 'treasures' in the 'street junk'. it's unfortunate that most of them are sheep in wolves clothing. Read between the lines of some of theses exchanges, see how some of them care for the other, see their sense of belonging and togetherness as a 'brand'. ...more
John
Jan 01, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect, but the originality of this wonderful book was stunning. I have spent the past 6 years traveling extensively in dozens of countries, and have made an effort to meet and speak with "street people" as often as possible. I know that there are thousands of stories and hundreds of explanations and issues when it comes to the homeless populations of major cities, but I admire an author that is willing to delve into their lives, not as an observer, but as a participant in ...more
Gerry
Jun 29, 2014 Gerry rated it it was amazing
I have had two family members who were homeless at different times and I clearly recall the day I walked past a homeless man and wondered...

"Is anybody walking past Pete today and SEEING him? (name changed) Could they guess how dear he is, could they know that he once had a job for many years taking care of people in a hospital until he came to work drunk one too many time? How would they guess he loved two children and they really miss him? That's PETE over there. He loves dogs and gardening.
Donna
Dec 12, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
Dennis Cardiff, a Canadian author, spends his days writing about and helping the homeless. What he’s done with this collection is open up the eyes of people who have a negative view of street people—he gives them a face. The real heroine of the book is Joy, a woman who made the choice of a roof over her head with an abusive boyfriend, or life on the street, but free from the abuse.

It’s an often difficult reminder that we’re all human. What I thought was especially interesting is the lack of home
Reg Shell
Feb 11, 2015 Reg Shell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta Find A Home : Inspirational and Heartwarming

Dennis Cardiff has written a book that inspires, and I believe would assist others; help the unemployed or anyone going through hard times.

The interconnecting stories that author Dennis Cardiff tells shows me that Dennis has a lot of love for the people who he mentions in the narrative of this fascinating book. The story takes place over an eighteen-month period.

I’ve worked with students who display the types of features mentioned throughout this
Imy Santiago
Feb 17, 2015 Imy Santiago rated it it was amazing
An Introspective Journey of a Man's Views and Experiences on Homelessness.

This is the first book I've read from the author, and I'll admit I've never read such an intriguing story about homeless panhandlers in Canada.

The book in itself is a journal recounting multiple encounters with different people whom Dennis socializes with on a daily basis. Gotta Find a Home depicts the heartbreaking stories of those who got left behind or the choices they made turned them to the streets.

The author paints
Veronica
Jan 18, 2015 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People, by Dennis Cardiff, has definitely become a favorite book of mine. It's so real and intense, it makes you feel like you're walking along with him. Living in NYC, I am surrounded by homeless people so I can definitely relate to the need of wanting to help them. I love the fact that the author introduces the experiences and lives of these such people in a way that make them come real and feel relatable.

The best part about these documentary storie
Imy Santiago
An Introspective Journey of a Man's Views of Homelessness

The author paints a real scene wi
Gayle Hayes
Jan 16, 2015 Gayle Hayes rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in part because it was advertised as "proceeds to charity." After reading a few pages, it was apparent the author already had been giving generously to the homeless folks he met on the street.

Most people seem to have definite opinions on the subject of panhandlers. I've always been ambivalent. I read this book to become better informed. The author did not disappoint. He presents a wide variety of personalities and situations and leaves it up to the reader to draw conclusions.
« previous 1 3 next »
Underground Knowl...: Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People 1 7 Feb 21, 2015 05:13AM
Have you or someone you love been homeless? 1 2 Jun 29, 2014 06:31PM
  • Call Me Evil, Let Me Go: A Mother's Struggle to Save Her Children from a Brutal Religious Cult
  • The Disappearance
  • Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them
  • How to Travel the World for FREE: I did it, and you can do it, too!
  • The Globalisation of Addiction: A Study in Poverty of the Spirit
  • Small Moments: A Child's Memories of the Civil Rights Movement
  • Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A Neuroscientist Examines his Former Life on Drugs
  • The Lost Children of Wilder: The Epic Struggle to Change Foster Care
  • Death Grip: A Climber's Escape from Benzo Madness
  • Learning to Dance in the Rain
  • Brazil: The Troubled Rise of a Global Power
8201461
Dennis Cardiff has been involved with street people since 2010, when he began to reach out, on his own, to some of the people without homes who he encountered in his daily life. In his new book, he documents conversations he's had with them over the past 5 years and, in the process, gives those who are often robbed of their humanity a human face. Written in diary form by month, and including some ...more
More about Dennis Cardiff...